BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-01-07 8:42 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

Weekly goals are to hit all of the planned workouts, eat a little better, and drop the alcohol intake after the holidays. 

Got in my usually Tuesday routine, 30 minute bike, 20 minute run, strength training, and a short cool down swim afterwards.  Repeating Base 2 but upping the TSS and pushing the strength sessions a little more this month.

2020-01-07 12:02 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Yesterday my coach posted the first week of my IM training plan. I think he is trying to kill me. I KNOW I'm gonna have to reevaluate having my home office on the second floor of the house... :D

Short run this morning, although I waited until 10am to do it. I woke up to run early, but it was dark and very cold, so I took advantage of my schedule this week and noped right out of running at 6am. Later, I have an hour bike scheduled. Put my bike back on the trainer this morning too--nothing like changing a tire to remind you your wife gave you a "buy yourself a trainer wheel" certificate for Christmas.

So....where do you all buy wheels from? I have never purchased wheels, so I'm at a complete loss. I just need something that will hold an 11-speed cassette and is compatible with a trainer (Cycleops). It would be nice if it didn't break the bank too.
2020-01-07 12:03 PM

User image

Wow! Leave you guys alone for a couple of weeks and your already 3 pages deep into 2020 BDAS!

NAME: Andy/Andrew/Riles

STORY:
Played sports through high school, soccer (sooo much soccer), lacrosse, track, x-country, DH skiing, mt biking. After college moved to Florida & played mens league rugby for several years before dislocating my shoulder several times. Decided to stop playing rugby before needing surgery made me stop. Struggled a long time with fitness & weight (still am), "doing my own thing" wasn't working. Three years ago I went to cheer my friend on for his first sprint (Cocoa Beach) and told him I would do it with him the next year. This year both our wives are going to join us.

FAMILY STATUS:
Married; one 6 yo. robotics engineer; one 12 yo. going on 16.

CURRENT TRAINING:
Not enough. Focused on running leading up to my first HM in November (beat my goal time by 4 min!) I've been doing a ride or two, and a run or two per week since. Really need to get back to swimming.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
A-Race: Ft. Desoto series Oly, August/September (or other Sept. Oly race if red tide looks like it's going to be an issue again)
B-Race: Cocoa Beach Sprint, April 5th
Others: probably 2 local sprints, & 1 Ft Desoto sprint

UPCOMING YEAR'S GOALS:
1.) Stay healthy - last season I struggled with planter fasciitis; 2.) Stay consistent - I feel like I did pretty good last year, thanks in no small part to BDAS; 3.) Be social - to help with #3, and it's just more fun; 4.) The perpetual improve my swimming

WEIGHTLOSS:
Yes please. I didn't quite hit my weight loss goals from last year, about another 5 lb.

DRINK OF CHOICE:
Most micro brew IPAs, reds, or porters.
2020-01-07 1:55 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Welcome back everyone! Welcome Nathalie, & Kate!

Nichole, I'm sorry for your loss. =(

Goals for the week:
- plan out my training to my first race.
- get back into regular training.
- get back to eating reasonably healthy (Its been hard with my wife's birthday, Christmas, travel, New Year's, my mother in law's birthday, and my birthday all in a row)

Here's a couple of pics I took on a 9-ish mile run while I was in Western MA for New Year's. (It was supposed to be a 6-ish mile run but I was enjoying it too much)

2020-01-07 2:50 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Welcome to the same time zone rollergirl! where did you live in England/France?

Goals for this week are

1. Start riding again

2. Stay off the pop until the w/e

3. Start either this: Karen Hauer - YouTube or some dumbbell exercises. 

Recovering from two migraines on the bounce so gotta take it easy! I blame the lack of beer!

2020-01-07 3:46 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by sappho96

Welcome to the same time zone rollergirl! where did you live in England/France?

I was born and raised in Provence, lived in a few towns in that aera because of my dad’s job.
In England I lived in Cirencester for 8 years.

2020-01-07 4:18 PM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Alright...probably the first of many trainer boredom induced questions. This one spurred by putting on my cold, wet hrm strap for my ride (cold and wet because I wore it a few hours earlier for run). My immediate reaction was that I need to buy another hrm strap so I never have to do that again...then my more economical side kicked in and said I don’t need that, I can just deal with slime. So...what is the one triathlon related purchase you’ve made that you didn’t NEED, but made training or racing so much better?
2020-01-07 7:13 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Alright...probably the first of many trainer boredom induced questions. This one spurred by putting on my cold, wet hrm strap for my ride (cold and wet because I wore it a few hours earlier for run). My immediate reaction was that I need to buy another hrm strap so I never have to do that again...then my more economical side kicked in and said I don’t need that, I can just deal with slime. So...what is the one triathlon related purchase you’ve made that you didn’t NEED, but made training or racing so much better?

First off.. eewww. Though I've been there before. =) If I was doing doubles regularly, I think I'd buy a 2nd strap, I prefer the cheap ones to the Wahoo straps anyway. (Haven't tried Garmin or Polar)

It pains me to say it, but by far I think my best Triathlon return on investment was my $50, used, dumb, trainer.

I'm kind of a tri gear cheapskate, so if I don't need it I usually do without. I wouldn't have a chest HRM if my wife's hadn't broke and I was able to fix it after she had already bought a new one. I think the thing I bought that I couldn't live without now would be prescription goggles. I can see enough to get by without, but it's such a big difference with them. Which reminds me I should probably pick up a spare pair.
2020-01-07 7:18 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome back, Andrew!

These all look like awesome goals! Keep your eye on the prize, everyone!

Swam 2500 yds with my squad this morning. For those of you who don't know, I have a group of swimming friends that meets every Tuesday and Thursday at 5:30am to get a workout in. Our gym put us on the schedule so we have designated lanes on those days. It's great for accountability! We call ourselves Swim Squad

Need to get my yoga session in before bed tonight! As soon as my cat gets off my lap...
2020-01-08 12:32 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I’d argue, that if it makes racing or training better, then I need it. I love shopping for tri things, it’s the 5th disciplin of triathlon (4th is of course transitions, my 2nd favourite)

I don’t spend a fortune on it though, I am a bargain hunter but that’s all part of the fun.

I
2020-01-08 5:38 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by drfoodlove Alright...probably the first of many trainer boredom induced questions. This one spurred by putting on my cold, wet hrm strap for my ride (cold and wet because I wore it a few hours earlier for run). My immediate reaction was that I need to buy another hrm strap so I never have to do that again...then my more economical side kicked in and said I don’t need that, I can just deal with slime. So...what is the one triathlon related purchase you’ve made that you didn’t NEED, but made training or racing so much better?
I’d argue, that if it makes racing or training better, then I need it. I love shopping for tri things, it’s the 5th disciplin of triathlon (4th is of course transitions, my 2nd favourite) I don’t spend a fortune on it though, I am a bargain hunter but that’s all part of the fun. I

I'm probably the worst person to ask on this, because with swimming for my daughter, gym and yoga studio memberships plus all of the equipment needed to participate in all of that our annual family "athletics" budget is about the GDP of a small country. 

To answer the question, though, I'd say upgrading from my Fenix 2 to my 920xt watch.  The Fenix still works fine but the 920 is a ton better.

2020-01-08 8:26 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by riles32807

First off.. eewww. Though I've been there before. =) If I was doing doubles regularly, I think I'd buy a 2nd strap, I prefer the cheap ones to the Wahoo straps anyway. (Haven't tried Garmin or Polar)

It pains me to say it, but by far I think my best Triathlon return on investment was my $50, used, dumb, trainer.

I'm kind of a tri gear cheapskate, so if I don't need it I usually do without. I wouldn't have a chest HRM if my wife's hadn't broke and I was able to fix it after she had already bought a new one. I think the thing I bought that I couldn't live without now would be prescription goggles. I can see enough to get by without, but it's such a big difference with them. Which reminds me I should probably pick up a spare pair.

I'm similar, I'm pretty cheap when it comes to buying tri gear. I bought a fancy Garmin smartwatch awhile ago that I didn't need. I'm thinking about getting another one though. I would definitely splurge for a second strap if I were you though. Training for an IM, I imagine you will be doing a lot of two a days, so it will definitely be worth it (in my opinion).
2020-01-08 8:28 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to boot camp this morning (that's where I get my strength training). I did not do yoga yesterday, so need to get it in today, although I have my first day of my new axe throwing league (you read that right ) so hopefully I can squeeze it in! I really need to get a mat for my office. Ordering that right now...
2020-01-08 10:58 AM
in reply to: #5265398

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nicole—I love the idea of an axe throwing league!! I wish we had something like that here!

Medium run today...barely eeked it into “this morning”. I don’t know what was/is going on. I woke up at 6am, after a solid eight hours of sleep, only to find myself exhausted. I didn’t have anything scheduled for this morning, so I went back to sleep. Woke up at 10–slept 13 hours. I’ve had weekends where I got less sleep!
2020-01-08 2:19 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Went to boot camp this morning (that's where I get my strength training). I did not do yoga yesterday, so need to get it in today, although I have my first day of my new axe throwing league (you read that right ) so hopefully I can squeeze it in! I really need to get a mat for my office. Ordering that right now...

Alcohol + throwing sharp, potentially deadly objects.  What could possibly go wrong???  

2020-01-08 3:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I had a dreary corner of my basement with my $20 yard sale bike. Last year I painted it bright white, added an old bathroom mirror we had been keeping for a project for ever, put in gym flooring, bought some free weights - and here's the splurge- a huge multipanel canvas wrap photograph to warm up the space. Maybe it's not training gear- but I love that I have a nice space. I do have one of those arm HRM as the chest straps and me don't get along- they just shimmy into totally the wrong spots.

2020-01-08 3:22 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

I'd love to try that but with optional pictures of certain politicians on the bullseye: is that allowed????

Started my arms workout today as finally feeling better. Back to work tomorrow so let's see if i can lift my coffee in the morning! My adviser is a world's strongest man contestant (he qualified for wsm england!) so i am keeping my actual weights hidden from him but following his instructions....eek!

2020-01-08 3:23 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Extreme Veteran
I went running for the first time in forever today. It was painful. It pretty much sucked - but I feel so much better for having done it! It was only 3x jog 4min run 1min. But after the flu and my husband still hacking up a lung I figured I'd just start small.

So, how do you stretch after jogging- I find my back gets a little sore.

I hit the stationary bike for a bit yesterday. My daughter decided to do her homework in my basement gym area while I got my workout which was nice.
2020-01-08 3:57 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by Moonrocket I went running for the first time in forever today. It was painful. It pretty much sucked - but I feel so much better for having done it! It was only 3x jog 4min run 1min. But after the flu and my husband still hacking up a lung I figured I'd just start small. So, how do you stretch after jogging- I find my back gets a little sore. I hit the stationary bike for a bit yesterday. My daughter decided to do her homework in my basement gym area while I got my workout which was nice.

Congrats on the workout! I don't run so can't help you there but wow @ Provence btw - stunning! My sister lived in Dordogne for thirteen years, and I am a Francophile.

2020-01-08 4:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Moonrocket I went running for the first time in forever today. It was painful. It pretty much sucked - but I feel so much better for having done it! It was only 3x jog 4min run 1min. But after the flu and my husband still hacking up a lung I figured I'd just start small. So, how do you stretch after jogging- I find my back gets a little sore. I hit the stationary bike for a bit yesterday. My daughter decided to do her homework in my basement gym area while I got my workout which was nice.

Congrats on the workout! I don't run so can't help you there but wow @ Provence btw - stunning! My sister lived in Dordogne for thirteen years, and I am a Francophile.

That was rollergirl who lived in Provence- I've lived in Dublin, Ireland but never France!

I have a question for the crew- I made a custom plan on BT that has 2 swims a week, 2 bikes a week and 2 runs a week. Is it cool to follow it but do 3 runs, 2 bikes and 1 swim? Having swam in college- I can usually pick that up pretty quick and running is my weak point. Also just from a crazy busy life perspective going to the pool takes a lot of time- and our current household schedule makes it really hard. Then say 3 months out from the race start swimming twice a week? I did a HIM relay last summer having swam maybe 8 times that year. And while not fast was still under 40 minutes vs 30 the year I did it and trained- so I feel like I have a lot more to gain on the run and bike than the swim.

2020-01-09 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Moonrocket

That was rollergirl who lived in Provence- I've lived in Dublin, Ireland but never France! I have a question for the crew- I made a custom plan on BT that has 2 swims a week, 2 bikes a week and 2 runs a week. Is it cool to follow it but do 3 runs, 2 bikes and 1 swim? Having swam in college- I can usually pick that up pretty quick and running is my weak point. Also just from a crazy busy life perspective going to the pool takes a lot of time- and our current household schedule makes it really hard. Then say 3 months out from the race start swimming twice a week? I did a HIM relay last summer having swam maybe 8 times that year. And while not fast was still under 40 minutes vs 30 the year I did it and trained- so I feel like I have a lot more to gain on the run and bike than the swim.

I'm doing something similar right now as I focus most of 2020 on cycling, 5 rides, 2 runs, 1 full swim workout.  I do have the benefit of working out a couple of days a week at the same place my pool is, so I end both of my run days with a quick cool down swim.  I wouldn't call it a workout as it's too short (like 300 - 500 yards usually), but it really helps me maintain feel for the water and I make sure those short swims reinforce good habits.  Not sure if your pool is part of a gym...maybe you could take on of your runs indoors and then swim a little afterwards.

Heck, though, if you're swimming sub-40 HIM on 8 swims a year you're probably OK.

2020-01-09 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I'd love to try that but with optional pictures of certain politicians on the bullseye: is that allowed????

Started my arms workout today as finally feeling better. Back to work tomorrow so let's see if i can lift my coffee in the morning! My adviser is a world's strongest man contestant (he qualified for wsm england!) so i am keeping my actual weights hidden from him but following his instructions....eek!

Yay new avatar!!!

Two colleagues of mine are WSM-type competitors (both pros at it, actually).  When I see their pictures of what they move around I feel so weak and pathetic. 

2020-01-09 11:48 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I never knew axe throwing was a thing...
Nicole, you do a lot of fun things besides Tri
2020-01-09 1:28 PM

NAME: rmschwartz518/ Rob Strava https://www.strava.com/athletes/10459503

STORY: I was planning on doing a triathlon for almost 10 years. Finally, about 5 years ago, I suffered through my first sprint. While the suffering was real, so was the enjoyment and is now a key part to my wellness - mentally, physically, socially, and emotionally. Truth is, I was inspired by my 8 year old daughter when she completed her first tri - story here on BT - https://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2727

Since then, I've completed numerous sprints and olympics and 3 70.3 races. I'm also serving as a mentor in another group for the first time and want to see how the magic happens with a real happening group.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married with two amazing kids (boy/girl twins) who keep me active and engaged and inspire me to be better everyday.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm a morning person and my training reflects that. I currently train 6-9 hours a week with a rest day every other week. I'm up at 5:30, training by 6 and off to work by 8. Sometimes I double with a night time session. I blend a masters swim program, with a Zwift workout plan, and running on my own, along with strength work once or twice a week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: My last race was a 72.3 in Oregon called Beastman last July. The course was intentionally 2 miles longer on the bike.

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: I'm currently training for Oceanside 70.3 and toying with the idea of an Ironman in the fall. I'll throw in a couple of Olympics throughout the summer and probably some OW US Masters swims and perhaps a running race or two.

FAVORITE BEER: Calicraft CoolKidz, Pliny, Boont Amber - depends on my mood. Oh- and I brew.
2020-01-09 1:59 PM
in reply to: rmschwartz418

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Welcome Rob!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 7236 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123