Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-01-09 1:38 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!

So far, we have the following returning Manatees:

• Jen
  • Ann-Marie
  • Leanne
  • Melanie
  • Anne (bio to come)
  • Randee (bio to come)
  • Robin
  • Karen
  • Chris

I have not heard back from Jason, Robin K-C, or Lisa. 

Jim mentioned that Michelle's mother passed away last week.  Please send your condolences. I expect he will find us soon.

2023-01-09 1:40 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
I hope this will be the year!!!
I do miss triathlon and I do miss the training....

NAME: Marysia

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook and Strava: Marysia Grabowska

STORY: I am from Poland, living in the US for almost 20 years. Moved from Chicago to Denver few years ago. I completed several TRIs (from spring to OLy, and one HIM) back in Chicago, and some half marathons and mara here in CO. I absolutely love the endurance sports - the longer the distance, the better... Although, I need to do some trainings and not just making goals I also do rock climbing, mountain biking, and XC skiing and snowboarding in winter.

FAMILY STATUS: I have two teenage kids, a partner who is an avid biker (and climber, and XC skier), and a cat Kicia. We have just recently bought a house and once we move in and settle, we plan to have a dog

CURRENT TRAINING: Just some general core stuff right now, but planning to start regular swimming sessions with my sone next week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: If I get to prepare for a TRI, I would love to give it a shot. We are planning a trip to Poland in the summer, thus, planning for US races will be challenging until we know our vacation dates. But definitely a HM and full marathon.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Consistent training is my main goal. If I get to completing a race comfortably and strongly (vs completing but struggling), I will be very happy.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I love supporting others and cheering for them!
2023-01-09 1:42 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back, Marysia!

2023-01-09 9:37 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

NAME: Curtis

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Strava

STORY: I joined BT in January of 2015 right after I committed to do the hometown 70.3 I had been thinking about doing for 3-4 months.  My first Mentor group was Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group.  I bounced around mentor Groups for a few years until I found my home in the Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group. My home for the past two years has been with the Manatees.  I felt that I killed mentor groups since I was the last man standing in several of them but am happy to now be in group that has many active members.

FAMILY STATUS: My wife and I have three girls ages 8-13 years old.  My current favorite pet is my daughter's 2-year-old Chow Chow.  He is big and fluffy and loves everyone. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I have been doing the self-coached thing with a lot of help from people I have met through BT (thanks k9car363, marcag, JorgeM).  I have been preparing a Winter Bike Focus Group Training for the Kiwami Race Team over the past 5-6 weeks and the 12-week training launched this morning.  I have about 20 team member who joined me for the craziness and I will be leading them for the next month then jumping ship to participate in the TriDot Pre-Season Program for 8-weeks.  I couldn't pass up their new Mark Allen addition.  I will see how it differs from when I did their program in 2017.  I actually was supposed to do the Tridot program in 2022 too, but unlike 2017 when I entered the program coming off of an 8-week base training block I went into the 2022 TriDot season off of 4-5 weeks completely off.  The Tridot program does a ton of high intensity work and speed work which is great if you have the base, but doing speed and high intensity off of 5 weeks of rest caused me to get injured three times in the first 2 weeks so I bailed out went back to building base.  This year I will go into the Tridot program off of 8 weeks of base building.  Hopefully it will go better.  You have to watch those computer-generated training through.  

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: The only thing on the Calendar right now is the Boston Marathon.  I really hit the bike and pool hard when I am training for running events.  I run my best when I consistent with my Triathlon training.  I like control of my training which is my I am self-coached so I am nervous about using TriDot training for 8-weeks leading up to the Boston Marathon but letting others do choose the workouts is my "step into the darkness" moment when I have to put my trust into something unknown so that I can learn and experience new things.  It is an experiment and if it works great and if not I am not out anything because Boston is for the experience not to win it

2023-01-10 11:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

*** Continued***

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: My goal for my Kiwami Race team Winter Bike Training Group is for an average of 5% increase in FTP across the 20 people who are playing along. My goal for the Tridot training is to take a break from planning my training so I can refocus on the things that motivate me and the things I enjoy about triathlon.  My goals for the rest of the year is to build volume.  I have been shrinking volume over the last couple of years and want to build to get back to where I was when I was doing 70.3 races.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I am here so I can keep up-to-date on all the new things in the sport that come out.  I do that by following all your posts on new equipment, programs, and races you are interested in. You guys are really in the know and I am out of the loop without you.  You in turn get to suffer through all of my race reports and training highlights.  I will be a good manatee because I am interested in all of your posts and I will make my own posts too as proof of life.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2023-01-10 11:56 AM
2023-01-10 11:52 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

STORY: I joined BT in January of 2015 right after I committed to do the hometown 70.3 I had been thinking about doing for 3-4 months.  My first Mentor group was Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group.  I bounced around mentor Groups for a few years until I found my home in the Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group. My home for the past two years has been with the Manatees.  I felt that I killed mentor groups since I was the last man standing in several of them but am happy to now be in group that has many active members.

FAMILY STATUS: My wife and I have three girls ages 8-13 years old.  My current favorite pet is my daughter's 2-year-old Chow Chow.  He is big and fluffy and loves everyone. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I have been doing the self-coached thing with a lot of help from people I have met through BT (thanks k9car363, marcag, JorgeM).  I have been preparing a Winter Bike Focus Group Training for the Kiwami Race Team over the past 5-6 weeks and the 12-week training launched this morning.  I have about 20 team member who joined me for the craziness and I will be leading them for the next month then jumping ship to participate in the TriDot Pre-Season Program for 8-weeks.  I couldn't pass up their new Mark Allen addition.  I will see how it differs from when I did their program in 2017.  I actually was supposed to do the Tridot program in 2022 too, but unlike 2017 when I entered the program coming off of an 8-week base training block I went into the 2022 TriDot season off of 4-5 weeks completely off.  The Tridot program does a ton of high intensity work and speed work which is great if you have the base, but doing speed and high intensity off of 5 weeks of rest caused me to get injured three times in the first 2 weeks so I bailed out went back to building base.  This year I will go into the Tridot program off of 8 weeks of base building.  Hopefully it will go better.  You have to watch those computer-generated training through.  

Welcome back, Curtis! 

Ann-Marie is also doing a TriDot Pre-Season program. I'm more jealous of your Winter Bike Focus program though!

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: The only thing on the Calendar right now is the Boston Marathon.  I really hit the bike and pool hard when I am training for running events.  I run my best when I consistent with my Triathlon training.  I like control of my training which is my I am self-coached so I am nervous about using TriDot training for 8-weeks leading up to the Boston Marathon but letting others do choose the workouts is my "step into the darkness" moment when I have to put my trust into something unknown so that I can learn and experience new things.  It is an experiment and if it works great and if not I am not out anything because Boston is for the experience not to win it

At least you don't have much on your plate before mid April!!

2023-01-10 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

*** Continued***

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: My goal for my Kiwami Race team Winter Bike Training Group is for an average of 5% increase in FTP across the 20 people who are playing along. My goal for the Tridot training is to take a break from planning my training so I can refocus on the things that motivate me and the things I enjoy about triathlon.  My goals for the rest of the year is to build volume.  I have been shrinking volume over the last couple of years and want to build to get back to where I was when I was doing 70.3 races.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I am here so I can keep up-to-date on all the new things in the sport that coming out from all your posts or new equipment, programs, and races you are interested in.  You in turn get to suffer through all of my race reports and training highlights.  I will be a good manatee because I am interested in all of you post and make my own posts as proof of life.  

Thanks for adding your more pointy end of the stick perspective to our chit chat!

2023-01-10 12:06 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by jmkizer

Welcome back, Curtis! 

Ann-Marie is also doing a TriDot Pre-Season program. I'm more jealous of your Winter Bike Focus program though!

I had considered inviting all the Manatees to join the Winter Bike Group.  So...if you want in send me a PM and I will send you an invite to group.  I guess this offer is open to all Manatees.  We are doing the first round a power testing the middle of next week so if you want to join you have until Sunday to get linked in with us.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2023-01-10 12:09 PM
2023-01-10 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back, Curtis! 

I had considered inviting all the Manatees to join the Winter Bike Group.  So...if you want in send me a PM and I will send you an invite to group.  I guess this offer is open to all Manatees.  We are doing the first round a power testing the middle of next week so if you want to join you have until Sunday to get linked in with us. 

Thanks but I'm pretty sure you would crush me -- and I have a training plan lined up from now through AotC on April 1.

2023-01-10 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Welcome back, Curtis! 

I'm shocked you are not jealous of a program that includes swimming!

2023-01-10 12:47 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Welcome back, Curtis! 

I'm shocked you are not jealous of a program that includes swimming!

LOL!

2023-01-11 11:27 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Great to have you in the group, Curtis - I enjoy reading your reports.
Do you still farm chickens? I remember the pictures of some beautiful, colorful chickens you raised!
2023-01-11 12:49 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hey Manatees! So nice to see so many back! I hope the new year is starting off well!! 

For me, well, I got covid. Last Thursday i started to feel really off and I had been working in the office - i went out for a lunch run that was supposed to be easy and it was very not easy. Made it home and did a rapid test that came back negative but put myself to bed. Anyway, it was Saturday before I tested myself again and sure enough that positive line came up right away. Feeling better every day and feel like maybe next week i'll get back to some light workouts and look at my half marathon training again. We shall see. Thankfully, none of the rest of my family have it - we've been attempting some isolation or well physical separation. It's not fun but if we can manage to not all get sick then it's a win. 

It's funny now at this point in time because people are asking 'is this your first time?' - and, yes, it is. 

2023-01-11 12:53 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hey Manatees! So nice to see so many back! I hope the new year is starting off well!! 

For me, well, I got covid. Last Thursday i started to feel really off and I had been working in the office - i went out for a lunch run that was supposed to be easy and it was very not easy. Made it home and did a rapid test that came back negative but put myself to bed. Anyway, it was Saturday before I tested myself again and sure enough that positive line came up right away. Feeling better every day and feel like maybe next week i'll get back to some light workouts and look at my half marathon training again. We shall see. Thankfully, none of the rest of my family have it - we've been attempting some isolation or well physical separation. It's not fun but if we can manage to not all get sick then it's a win. 

It's funny now at this point in time because people are asking 'is this your first time?' - and, yes, it is. 

Ugh! Sorry to hear that it was your "turn." Glad that you seem to be recovering.

2023-01-11 1:35 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

Sorry you got tagged with it, but happy to read you are improving! I read something that said the current variant is so contagious that if you haven't gotten Covid yet you will and if you've had it before prepare for reinfection. I hope that's not true b/c I would like to be one of the never got it people! 

2023-01-11 7:03 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by marysia83 Great to have you in the group, Curtis - I enjoy reading your reports. Do you still farm chickens? I remember the pictures of some beautiful, colorful chickens you raised!

I sort of still raise chickens, but not really.  When work transferred me from Oklahoma to Houston we were not able to find any properties that allowed poultry or that had acreage.  Everything here has HOA's that prohibit chickens. Any home with an acer lot is going to start at about 3 times the upper limit for what we could get approved for on a home loan, so I am boarding my flock with a member of our poultry club who lived about an hour further out of Huston than we do.  I go to work chickens a few times a year, but that isn't really enough to say i raise chickens even if my name is listed as the owner of the flock.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2023-01-11 7:05 PM

2023-01-12 4:43 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
As usual, I'm late to the game, but here's my bio.

NAME: Anne Schroll

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook and Strava: Anne Schroll

STORY: I found BT back in 2008 when I was venturing hesitantly into the triathlon scene. I never did any kind of exercise but started running in my 40s, mostly to lose weight and burn off stress, and then took an adult-onset swim class at the Y that was taught by a friend. through that class, I made a friend who told me about BT. She eventually left the website, I stuck around because I love the social aspect of this site.
Running eventually became a no-no due to chronic plantar fascitis and more recently, an arthritic knee, but gravel riding is now my passion. My husband Steve and I do a number of gravel events each year.
I'm VP and Marketing Director for our local bike club -- it's a fairly large club and keeps me busy in retirement. It's been a great way to meet cyclists from all ends of the spectrum.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm 61 and have a 33 yo daughter, 35 yo stepdaughter and 38 yo stepson. The 35 yo has some really sweet kids, so I get to be a grandma. It's truly the best. I have two old cats, Ollie and Latte, and a tankful of geriatric tropical fish.

CURRENT TRAINING: It's the tail end of the off season, so just Zwifting and doing EZ riding when weather permits.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Lot of gravel events leading up to my "A" event, Gravel Worlds in Lincoln, Nebraska.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Trying to lose a bit of weight and also working on mental stamina. I tend to back off sooner than I probably should. Hoping that working with a coach this year will help me push past that.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I'm not sure I'm a good manatee but this is a great bunch of people, so here I am!
2023-01-12 11:13 AM
in reply to: abake

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by abake

As usual, I'm late to the game, but here's my bio.

NAME: Anne Schroll

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook and Strava: Anne Schroll

STORY: I found BT back in 2008 when I was venturing hesitantly into the triathlon scene. I never did any kind of exercise but started running in my 40s, mostly to lose weight and burn off stress, and then took an adult-onset swim class at the Y that was taught by a friend. through that class, I made a friend who told me about BT. She eventually left the website, I stuck around because I love the social aspect of this site.
Running eventually became a no-no due to chronic plantar fascitis and more recently, an arthritic knee, but gravel riding is now my passion. My husband Steve and I do a number of gravel events each year.
I'm VP and Marketing Director for our local bike club -- it's a fairly large club and keeps me busy in retirement. It's been a great way to meet cyclists from all ends of the spectrum.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm 61 and have a 33 yo daughter, 35 yo stepdaughter and 38 yo stepson. The 35 yo has some really sweet kids, so I get to be a grandma. It's truly the best. I have two old cats, Ollie and Latte, and a tankful of geriatric tropical fish.

CURRENT TRAINING: It's the tail end of the off season, so just Zwifting and doing EZ riding when weather permits.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Lot of gravel events leading up to my "A" event, Gravel Worlds in Lincoln, Nebraska.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Trying to lose a bit of weight and also working on mental stamina. I tend to back off sooner than I probably should. Hoping that working with a coach this year will help me push past that.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I'm not sure I'm a good manatee but this is a great bunch of people, so here I am!

I'm officially stalking (I mean following) you on FB!
2023-01-12 11:36 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by marysia83 Great to have you in the group, Curtis - I enjoy reading your reports. Do you still farm chickens? I remember the pictures of some beautiful, colorful chickens you raised!

I sort of still raise chickens, but not really.  When work transferred me from Oklahoma to Houston we were not able to find any properties that allowed poultry or that had acreage.  Everything here has HOA's that prohibit chickens. Any home with an acer lot is going to start at about 3 times the upper limit for what we could get approved for on a home loan, so I am boarding my flock with a member of our poultry club who lived about an hour further out of Huston than we do.  I go to work chickens a few times a year, but that isn't really enough to say i raise chickens even if my name is listed as the owner of the flock.  

This is sad... I do not understand why HOAs or counties, or towns would not allowed chickens. i can see why bisons, but chickens?? Fresh eggs!!!
2023-01-12 11:42 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake As usual, I'm late to the game, but here's my bio. NAME: Anne Schroll OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook and Strava: Anne Schroll STORY: I found BT back in 2008 when I was venturing hesitantly into the triathlon scene. I never did any kind of exercise but started running in my 40s, mostly to lose weight and burn off stress, and then took an adult-onset swim class at the Y that was taught by a friend. through that class, I made a friend who told me about BT. She eventually left the website, I stuck around because I love the social aspect of this site. Running eventually became a no-no due to chronic plantar fascitis and more recently, an arthritic knee, but gravel riding is now my passion. My husband Steve and I do a number of gravel events each year. I'm VP and Marketing Director for our local bike club -- it's a fairly large club and keeps me busy in retirement. It's been a great way to meet cyclists from all ends of the spectrum. FAMILY STATUS: I'm 61 and have a 33 yo daughter, 35 yo stepdaughter and 38 yo stepson. The 35 yo has some really sweet kids, so I get to be a grandma. It's truly the best. I have two old cats, Ollie and Latte, and a tankful of geriatric tropical fish. CURRENT TRAINING: It's the tail end of the off season, so just Zwifting and doing EZ riding when weather permits. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Lot of gravel events leading up to my "A" event, Gravel Worlds in Lincoln, Nebraska. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Trying to lose a bit of weight and also working on mental stamina. I tend to back off sooner than I probably should. Hoping that working with a coach this year will help me push past that. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I'm not sure I'm a good manatee but this is a great bunch of people, so here I am!

You must have really liked Gravel Worlds last year to select it as your A race this year.  Nice!

2023-01-12 11:46 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Good news for Ann-Marie!  Pickleball is now an activity in Strava! 

2023-01-12 1:41 PM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by canadarn2001
Originally posted by abake As usual, I'm late to the game, but here's my bio. NAME: Anne Schroll OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook and Strava: Anne Schroll STORY: I found BT back in 2008 when I was venturing hesitantly into the triathlon scene. I never did any kind of exercise but started running in my 40s, mostly to lose weight and burn off stress, and then took an adult-onset swim class at the Y that was taught by a friend. through that class, I made a friend who told me about BT. She eventually left the website, I stuck around because I love the social aspect of this site. Running eventually became a no-no due to chronic plantar fascitis and more recently, an arthritic knee, but gravel riding is now my passion. My husband Steve and I do a number of gravel events each year. I'm VP and Marketing Director for our local bike club -- it's a fairly large club and keeps me busy in retirement. It's been a great way to meet cyclists from all ends of the spectrum. FAMILY STATUS: I'm 61 and have a 33 yo daughter, 35 yo stepdaughter and 38 yo stepson. The 35 yo has some really sweet kids, so I get to be a grandma. It's truly the best. I have two old cats, Ollie and Latte, and a tankful of geriatric tropical fish. CURRENT TRAINING: It's the tail end of the off season, so just Zwifting and doing EZ riding when weather permits. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Lot of gravel events leading up to my "A" event, Gravel Worlds in Lincoln, Nebraska. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Trying to lose a bit of weight and also working on mental stamina. I tend to back off sooner than I probably should. Hoping that working with a coach this year will help me push past that. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I'm not sure I'm a good manatee but this is a great bunch of people, so here I am!
I'm officially stalking (I mean following) you on FB!

I feel like you understate your current biking - you are totally awesome and did an amazing amount of mileage and super cool events last year! 

2023-01-12 5:55 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Good news for Ann-Marie!  Pickleball is now an activity in Strava! 

lol, I have no idea how it rates strava!

2023-01-12 6:02 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by ceilidh

Name - Ceilidh/ Robin ProctorOTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I am on FB, Instagram and Strava as Robin Proctor. Please look me up, though I do post some politically from the left wing on FB. STORY: I am an adult-onset triathlete and a fixture at the Back of the Pack. I did my first sprint at 49 and am a sprint/ Oly kind of person. I have had a series of operations over the last several years due to severe osteoarthritis that have kept me restarting each year. STATUS: currently I am a 62 yr old married person for 27 years. We operate a cabin rental business here in Lake Lure that keeps us busy. I have 2 adult step kids, 2 grandkids and my wonderful doggo- Raven. My husband has recently been diagnosed with cancer so that is our current focus. CURRENT TRAINING: i am literally starting everything again after my most recent surgies. THIS YEAR: I have signed up for the short ride of rhe Assault on the Carolinas, the NC coastal ride and the Edisto half. This is to be my "one and done" half. I will train, but i truely have no idea if my semi bionic body will allow me to do it. No matter, ill start and if I can't finish, ill still be camping at Edisto. WHAT MAKES ME A GOOD MANATEE: Like, Chris, I am not sure why this group continues to allow me to hang out. I know nothing about the details of any swim, bike or run training, but i do encourage folks and love to have a Manatee Meetup anytime!

I’m excited about your South Carolina half!
2023-01-13 6:19 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

You must have really liked Gravel Worlds last year to select it as your A race this year.  Nice!

I did! Big event with a grass roots feel to it. Tough course but really beautiful with all the rolling hills. I hope to improve my time a bit this year, since I wasn't really sure I could complete it last year and spent too much time at the aid stations. I'd at least like to finish before dark.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33