General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 148

2012-02-01 4:45 PM
in reply to: #4023710

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread

asock, thanks for the link.  I will read it tonight after my 1 hr at 100 rpm and then swim.  I am curious as to how your body can prepare for the IM without actually building up bricks to near that level.  I guess I shouldnt complain and just do the work outs (dont think - just pitch).

As far as getting your HR zones set it was the first thing I did when I got my monitor for Christmas.  It hurt a little but I was very happy I did it.  The calculation for me would have been: 220 - 44 (yrs old) = 176 max HR.  When I did the actual ride test I reached an actual HR of 192.  This is really far off and no doubt my workouts and conditioning would have been off.  When riding to find my max HR I warmed up for 15 minutes, rode up a gradually tougher climb and when all out at a peak climb for a few minutes. 

As far as getting to Z2 during workouts it takes some time on the bike - the run is faster but all over the place if its not flat.  On the bike its 10 minutes before I reach it.  What helps is a trainer or exercise bike at a gym.  Start at a level of resistance where you think you would reach Z2 and give it a little time to reach there.  You dont want to be chasing your tail.   During these inside workouts I can stay right at my Z2 for 45 minutes before my HR rises a touch and I need to ease the resistance.  This used to occur at 40 minutes and 35, etc.  Overall, its not a hard work out at all but I am sweating the entire time.  No soreness the next day as the lactate level is below what your body can handle during the workout.  I almost feel guilty when Im done but I trust this process.  Trick is finding your max HR and have confidence. 

2012-02-01 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3637183

User image

Huntley, IL

Thanks all for the advice!

For example--my zone 2 on the run is calculated (approximately) to be 144-164. If I run comfortably for 5-10 minutes, my HR is usually 130, max; I have to put effort in to get it to 144 and keep in there--same this for bike/trainer. Last long ride on the trainer it took me 20 minutes before I reached 136--then struggle to keep it there! Definitely want to do a max test soon. Maybe I have just not been working hard enough in the past!

I told my husband that it's because I have a cold heart--it takes a lot to warm it up Tongue out

2012-02-02 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4024223

User image

asock325 - 2012-02-01 7:35 PM

Thanks all for the advice!

For example--my zone 2 on the run is calculated (approximately) to be 144-164. If I run comfortably for 5-10 minutes, my HR is usually 130, max; I have to put effort in to get it to 144 and keep in there--same this for bike/trainer. Last long ride on the trainer it took me 20 minutes before I reached 136--then struggle to keep it there! Definitely want to do a max test soon. Maybe I have just not been working hard enough in the past!

I told my husband that it's because I have a cold heart--it takes a lot to warm it up Tongue out

I'm going to go out on a limb and say: Your Zones are definitely way off.  For now - go by Rate of Percieved Exertion.  Zone 2 should be around an RPE of 4/10 or 2/5 - whichever scale you'd like.   Unless your are considerably dehyrdated or fatigued, Zone 2 should not be an effort to maintain, or unless you are lacking in endurance.  In which case, the beginning of the workout is 2/5 RPE and that at the very end it is a struggle to maintain that same effort as the beginning of the workout; which will eventually happen as we all grow our endurance as we get closer to July.  But if it's a struggle to maintain that effort at the beginning of a workout, then you're most-likely not in Zone 2. 

Just out of curiosity, what is your Resting Heart Rate? 

2012-02-02 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4023710

User image

asock325 - 2012-02-01 3:19 PM

Major BC - 2012-01-31 4:05 PM Speaking of plans...  I am doing a self modified Fink Intermediate.  However, I have concerns that there is not enough ride/run bricks on the weekends at Z2.  All of them seem to be during the week and low hours.  When do we have that crappy weekend of a 80 mile ride followed by a 15 mile run?  Personal input from a friend that has finished 3rd overall in IM Canada told me that your body has to get used to running after riding.  This format worked well for me in my HIM's.  But I just dont see it here in the Fink plan.  The long run is on Sat and the long ride on Sun.  Can this really prepare properly?  Am I bound to burn out if I slowly try to brick up to these amounts? 

I am following the same plan--noticed the same thing as well. In the competitive plan, he adds bricks to long runs on weekends. I know a few other of the known training gurus, including coaches at Endurance Nation, have gotten rid of the long weekend brick. Here is their blog giving reason why they chose this (and I tend to agree with their view point being an amateur here):

http://www.endurancenation.us/blog/training/rethinking-the-value-of-the-brick-run-for-long-course-triathlon/

My concern with the Fink plan is that, at least so far, it seems way more heavy on the run versus the bike. I know eventually the bike hours edge up, but  3 x 1 hour runs per week seems a little much for me, and this continues for the whole plan (with the long run getting longer of course). I would think once the interval runs begin, maybe shorten the run time a bit? But they don't.

One of the ideal ways to train is to get a good coach.  A good coach will review your past training and race history; assess your current race goals; test your current fitness; analyze your limiters, strengths, ability to recover, lifestyle, nutrition and construct a training plan specific to your unique specific needs.

We cannot afford a coach, which is why we're using a one-size fits all, black and white plan.  One size fits all will fit almost all; but will be tight on some, loose on others, and just right for the rest.  And that's just the way it is.        

I've read a lot about Stand-alone Running, BRICK's and Transition Runs off the Bike.  Stand-alone Running is self-explanatory; BRICK's defined as a prolonged Run off the bike of 30 minutes or greater; A Transition Run defined as usually just a quick run of a few miles, or 10 to 20 minute run off the Bike.

The general consensus is, for Ironman training, we should do a mix of ALL of them.  For 70.3 and Olympic distances, you only need to concentrate on Transition Runs and Stand-alone Runs.  BRICK's are not as important. 

Stand-alone Runs are important because in order to finish an Ironman, you need to traverse 26.2 miles on foot in order to hear Mike Reilly say your name.  Running is the quickest way to do this   Running on fresh legs is very important to develop Run-specific strength, fitness, and improves form which makes us more efficient.      

Transition Runs are great because they are 'Time Efficient'.  They allow us to get a quick Run in right off the Bike.  They also teach the body and neuromuscular system how to got from Bike to Run.  This is important.  Many top level coaches claim a mile run off the bike is worth 3 or 4 stand-alone run miles.  I agree.  Transition Runs are said by top level coaches to reduce an athletes chance of injury because they are short in duration. 

BRICK Runs.  These are Race-specific workouts.  They are a combination of Stand-alone Running and Transition Runs.  BRICK's will most closely mirror the actual Race Day experience.  They build tremendous long-course fitness, but are hard on the body and often require extra Recovery.  They come with an added risk of injury.  They are best saved for the Peak Phase of a training program.  The theory being, in the beginning of a training program a healthy, wide base of Stand-alone running along with Transition Runs will lessen the chance of injury and increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the BRICK workout. 

BRICK workouts also allow you to implement your Race Day nutrition.  Long BRICKS are mentally very tough, and are also good mental training as well.  Practicing maintaining good Run Form late into a BRICK is very beneficial come Race Day.  And having said that, holding Run Form at the end of a Long Brick is TOUGH!  Because Long BRICK's are saved for the end of a training program, I use the closeness of my upcoming race as motivation to push through them.  I also try and mirror the Race terrain as much as possible.   

As for the Fink Intermediate Program, he suggests a Half Ironman two months out from the Ironman; which I view as a BRICK workout, precluded by a 1.2 mile Swim   Yeah, but after that he has only one Transition Run the weekend before the race: 2hr Bike - 30 min Run.  To be honest, I did BRICK workouts last year and I was using the Be Iron Fit Intermediate Plan.   My suggestion would be, you don't have worry about BRICKs until the Peak Phase in June, and you only need do a couple (and you don't NEED to do any, really).  *** I would only attempt them if I layed a proper Bike and Run foundation the prior 5 months, having consistently and succesfully completed the BASE and BUILD PHASES with no issues.    

Edited by Dream Chaser 2012-02-02 9:40 AM
2012-02-02 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY

When I did my first IM I was uncoached and followed my own plan and I did have a succefully race sub 11. I did my longest run (20 miles) 5 weeks before the race and did my longest brick (100 Bike & 11 Run) 3 weeks before the race.

It worked for me it was great workout and metally it prepared me for race day!!

2012-02-02 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4025190

User image

triguy1043 - 2012-02-02 10:45 AM

When I did my first IM I was uncoached and followed my own plan and I did have a succefully race sub 11. I did my longest run (20 miles) 5 weeks before the race and did my longest brick (100 Bike & 11 Run) 3 weeks before the race.

Yeah, but you did Ironman Florida where the entire swim is with the current, the bike is one long draft line, and the run is all downhill from start to finish.    I kid, I kid of course!

2012-02-02 10:03 AM

User image

Huntington Beach, CA

DC I noticed in your signature the RaceDayTracker.com.  Is this the best way to let family / friends know where you are during the race?  They kind of know my intended split times, but want to let them know along the way hopefully.

Was almost going to let my phone be in the saddle bag with the tracking app installed so they can track me during the race, but thats a pain and don't want to really do that...

2012-02-02 10:13 AM

User image

Pro

Hi all,

I signed as a volunteer and will be at the bike transition from 8am-12pm, and the final run aid station 8pm-12am. Just wanted to wish everyone luck and hope to meet some of you. I'll be camping at Wilmington Notch State Park with a bunch of other volunteers from BT. Also I will be in that early registration line 9am Monday and IMLP will be my first full in 2013!

2012-02-02 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4025204

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Dream Chaser - 2012-02-02 9:54 AM
triguy1043 - 2012-02-02 10:45 AM

Yeah, but you did Ironman Florida where the entire swim is with the current, the bike is one long draft line, and the run is all downhill from start to finish.    I kid, I kid of course!

I can tell you one thing I pedalled all 112 + miles!!! no coasting in Florida No current, but tons of wind and heat!

2012-02-02 11:15 AM

Hello, I hope I may go off subject a little bit here, but was wondering if anyone is still looking for lodging in Lake Placid?  I live about an 1 1/2 hours away and was resigned the fact that i must awake really early to make it LP in time for the race (first time btw) when I happened to be given the National Sports Academy to try.  They had a room for us!  One block from the start....so excited.  If interested and need more information let me know...you should be able to google it for specifics.  The person taking the bookings said to let him know you read it here if you do call for a reservation.  Good luck everyone with training.  

2012-02-02 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4025255

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-02-02 11:13 AM

Hi all,

I signed as a volunteer and will be at the bike transition from 8am-12pm, and the final run aid station 8pm-12am. Just wanted to wish everyone luck and hope to meet some of you. I'll be camping at Wilmington Notch State Park with a bunch of other volunteers from BT. Also I will be in that early registration line 9am Monday and IMLP will be my first full in 2013!

Thank you Brian!  I hope to see you in the morning. 

2012-02-02 12:43 PM
in reply to: #4025230

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
Calvinball96 - 2012-02-02 10:03 AM

DC I noticed in your signature the RaceDayTracker.com.  Is this the best way to let family / friends know where you are during the race?  They kind of know my intended split times, but want to let them know along the way hopefully.

Was almost going to let my phone be in the saddle bag with the tracking app installed so they can track me during the race, but thats a pain and don't want to really do that...

At IMWI last year I used the myathletelive.com device. They will ship it to your hotel or home if you want and you drop it in the mail after the race.  Overall it worked pretty well, there were a few spots where it lost the signal and sometimes it was a little slow to update on their website (my wife missed me in one spot on the bike by about ten minutes). In general it gives your supporters a pretty good idea of where you are on the course and the speed that you are traveling. I think its worth the 30 bucks or so to rent one. I am curious to know how well the signal works in the Lake Placid area. It must be okay because the company has been renting the devices at LP for at least a few years. They sometimes set up a booth at the expo where you can rent them on site. 

2012-02-02 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4025230

User image

Calvinball96 - 2012-02-02 11:03 AM

Race Day Tracker is as good as the event online tracking.  Last year (for whatever reason) the Ironman Live Tracker was TERRIBLE.  Totally missed entire splits, and delivered information hours late.  So in that rare case when the event themself are not giving out timing information accurately, then it can be off.   Otherwise it is a Fantastic Tool.

2012-02-02 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4025255

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-02-02 11:13 AM

Hi all,

My dream (yeah right!) would be that I don't see you Bryan (sorry) and that I am through transition before 8am! Alas this probably won't happen so I look forward to seeing you in the tent or on the grass field calling out my number! Just an FYI...that tent can get to smelling pretty bad after the main group goes through, especially if it is rainy and muddy!

Thanks for volunteering.
2012-02-02 5:12 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

got a professional bike fit today...also placed an order for a P2-which seemed to be a very good fit (and they look really cool...) with upgrade race wheels (yes I went with Zipp 808/firecrest).

Now the shop is searching for a sister store with the 2011 model which is exactly the same frame and components as the 2012 but a little pricier. I am upgrading to an ultegra 11/28 cassette to match with ultegra components (fr derailler and chain) which should be better than  my Masi road bike cassette of 12/25 which I rode for the Poconos 69.1.

Fascinating stuff. My voice is a bit hoarse from the zillions of questions I asked...

(can't wait...can't wait...can't wait...Smile)

2012-02-02 6:45 PM

User image

Regular
what do the stars under our name/picture mean?  On the right side of the forum different people have various stars of different colors.  Who can help me out here with a BT mystery?

2012-02-02 8:00 PM
in reply to: #4026483

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

klassman - 2012-02-02 7:45 PM what do the stars under our name/picture mean?  On the right side of the forum different people have various stars of different colors.  Who can help me out here with a BT mystery?

That is how many posts you have made.  Each green star equals 25 posts, then you will get a pink star that equals 100 posts and so on.  I'm not sure what every color is for, especially as you get up into really high posts, but that's the basics of it.

You need 6 more posts for your first pink star

Edited by marathongirl11 2012-02-02 8:01 PM
2012-02-02 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4026483

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York

klassman - 2012-02-02 7:45 PM what do the stars under our name/picture mean?  On the right side of the forum different people have various stars of different colors.  Who can help me out here with a BT mystery?

I like to think of them as the BT version of Roman Numerals

2012-02-03 8:02 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
I had the graston technique done yesterday on my IT band. the knee was in pain for half the day afterwards yesterday and then all of a sudden it was getting better as the night progressed. This is one of my best days thus far since I have been having issues. I'm going to continue the treatment this week, but this makes me a much happier athlete! I can't believe the difference! I have about a 5-6 inch bruise down the side of my leg, but I could care less!Laughing
2012-02-03 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4027166

User image

SEADOCHA - 2012-02-03 9:02 AM I had the graston technique done yesterday on my IT band. the knee was in pain for half the day afterwards yesterday and then all of a sudden it was getting better as the night progressed. This is one of my best days thus far since I have been having issues. I'm going to continue the treatment this week, but this makes me a much happier athlete! I can't believe the difference! I have about a 5-6 inch bruise down the side of my leg, but I could care less!Laughing

I've had Graston done a few times.  BRUTAL.  But effective.  But remember that the IT Band rubbing is a symptom.  The cause is likely weak hips, weak glutes/ tight hips, tight glutes. 

2012-02-03 8:29 AM
in reply to: #4026335

User image

dtoce - 2012-02-02 6:12 PM

got a professional bike fit today...also placed an order for a P2-which seemed to be a very good fit (and they look really cool...) with upgrade race wheels (yes I went with Zipp 808/firecrest).

Now the shop is searching for a sister store with the 2011 model which is exactly the same frame and components as the 2012 but a little pricier. I am upgrading to an ultegra 11/28 cassette to match with ultegra components (fr derailler and chain) which should be better than  my Masi road bike cassette of 12/25 which I rode for the Poconos 69.1.

Fascinating stuff. My voice is a bit hoarse from the zillions of questions I asked...

(can't wait...can't wait...can't wait...Smile)

Zipp 808 Firecrests!!! I am soooo jealous!!  We need pics. ASAP!

2012-02-03 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Speaking of wheels, if money was no object (of course it is, but let's play along) what would be the ideal setup for IMLP on say an average day. 808 front with Sub 9 rear? 808 front and back? ect ect.? What are your thoughts?
2012-02-03 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4027627

User image

Monty - 2012-02-03 11:47 AM Speaking of wheels, if money was no object (of course it is, but let's play along) what would be the ideal setup for IMLP on say an average day. 808 front with Sub 9 rear? 808 front and back? ect ect.? What are your thoughts?

For me personally - front: Jet 90 C2 Flamme Rouge, and Jet Disc C2 Flamme Rouge.  Anyone got an extra 2500 bucks lying around

2012-02-03 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4024992

User image

Huntley, IL
Dream Chaser - 2012-02-02 8:30 AM
asock325 - 2012-02-01 7:35 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say: Your Zones are definitely way off.  For now - go by Rate of Percieved Exertion.  Zone 2 should be around an RPE of 4/10 or 2/5 - whichever scale you'd like. :)  Unless your are considerably dehyrdated or fatigued, Zone 2 should not be an effort to maintain, or unless you are lacking in endurance.  In which case, the beginning of the workout is 2/5 RPE and that at the very end it is a struggle to maintain that same effort as the beginning of the workout; which will eventually happen as we all grow our endurance as we get closer to July.  But if it's a struggle to maintain that effort at the beginning of a workout, then you're most-likely not in Zone 2. 

Just out of curiosity, what is your Resting Heart Rate? 

Thanks for all the advise regarding brick/transition runs as well! Good to hear from someone who has raced at this distance before.

My TRUE resting heart rate is around 54-56 bpm. Sometimes when I start my bike I'll notice I'm starting around 65 bpm. I plan on adding a HR max test this weekend/next week--so I will adjust my zones accordingly.

And kudos to you for the point that IT band pain is a symptom of weak gluts/muscle imbalance. I'm a physical therapist and see it all the time--people will roll their IT band/use graston tools till they are bruised and bleeding :p (which will help with the localized inflammation) but they neglect to look at why they have IT band pain. Do resisted sideways monster walks (hips/knees flexed) -- until you can't even stand up any more :p Just one of many strengthening exercises you could do.

Edited by asock325 2012-02-03 12:30 PM
2012-02-03 8:55 PM
in reply to: #4027702

User image

Veteran
Dream Chaser - 2012-02-03 11:29 AM

Monty - 2012-02-03 11:47 AM Speaking of wheels, if money was no object (of course it is, but let's play along) what would be the ideal setup for IMLP on say an average day. 808 front with Sub 9 rear? 808 front and back? ect ect.? What are your thoughts?

For me personally - front: Jet 90 C2 Flamme Rouge, and Jet Disc C2 Flamme Rouge.  Anyone got an extra 2500 bucks lying around

I've been shopping around for wheels as well and bought 3 for the price of $600!Two is a 85mm edge wheelset and one front wheel 404 zipp older model. I'm gonna use a 404/85mm combo comes race day or if I feel comfortable with both 85mm I'll go with that but great wisdom here told me earlier in the thread that go as deep as 60mm front and 85mm or disk back. I find these wheels very fast! I never hit a 35kph without trying on a flat!!!While we are on the topic. Post your ride here!!! I'd love too see you bike!!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 148