Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-02-10 3:00 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: SBR "U"
Jim, really glad you have a clear diagnosis and a plan of attack, and that you got surgery moved up. That is a relatively short period of time in the grand scheme of things and you will be back at it better than ever before you know it.

2015-02-10 3:20 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by BrotherTri
Originally posted by ChrisM16 mile run with 1750' of climbing. Mary training back on track
Nice Chris! Good to hear that you are back. That type of climbing will be good for Alcatraz as well.

seriously Chris - now THAT is a comeback! How is it holding up today?

my first race of the year is also in the books: 11.5 mile trail race, 1580' of vertical (according to Garmin, but who really knows...) and a spot-on -6:00 PR (6:01 to be exact) from last year, when I thought I ran a really well-executed race at the edge of my abilities at the time. This time around I basically executed the same race plan as last year: ease in to the first 4 miles, murder every downhill and recover the ups just a little (basically as neutral a VI as possible, in bike terms) and then Inthe last 4 miles go for broke. It seems to have paid off well As I managed a 16th OA, which is fairly good as this is a very competitive regional race that sells out every year in less than 10 minutes from going live. With about a mile or so to go my left calf started to flake out on me, and cramped hard just as I crossed the finish line. So the calf is still really sore today (channeling some of Chris' miracle healing powers) but other than that I have actually recovered fairly quickly and was able to make it through a set of somewhat challenging overgear intervals this morning.

2015-02-10 3:27 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by BrotherTriOk did a 20' Power test today. I was really apprehensive about it for two reasons. I had a HUGH argument with a fellow co worker that I care about. That was about a hour before the test and I know I dumped some adrenalin . The other thing is yesterday was another extremely fatiguing day, but not as bad as last week. Anyway I did the test with great results. My current 5' is 342w and 20' is 313 My CP is 303 and my W' is 12Kj Still not sure what that W' does for me or really what my FTP is. Anyways here are the screen shoots. O' the 20' test was interrupted a bit because I goofed with the erg file. I put 315w in for the 20'. I guess I was still upset, so I stopped that file and loaded a flat slopped file for the load. This is why you will see a drop in Watts about 5' in. Its all good and my zones really seam to make sense now. About time.....EDITIf I did bad I would have not complained.....

James those look like some really good numbers going in the preferred direction. Just doing some back-of-the-napkin math in my head it looks like you have a huge W/kg advantage on the 5 minute interval over me but we converge and get really close to each other on the 20 minute interval. I will leave it to the smarter folks in the bunch to really say what that may mean, if anything, but I think it probably points to the fact that:

1) I don't really know how to suffer.

2) I am puny little weakling. And

3) you might have some cardiovascular overhead space left to claim.

2015-02-10 6:49 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by BrotherTriOk did a 20' Power test today. I was really apprehensive about it for two reasons. I had a HUGH argument with a fellow co worker that I care about. That was about a hour before the test and I know I dumped some adrenalin . The other thing is yesterday was another extremely fatiguing day, but not as bad as last week. Anyway I did the test with great results. My current 5' is 342w and 20' is 313 My CP is 303 and my W' is 12Kj Still not sure what that W' does for me or really what my FTP is. Anyways here are the screen shoots. O' the 20' test was interrupted a bit because I goofed with the erg file. I put 315w in for the 20'. I guess I was still upset, so I stopped that file and loaded a flat slopped file for the load. This is why you will see a drop in Watts about 5' in. Its all good and my zones really seam to make sense now. About time.....EDITIf I did bad I would have not complained.....

James those look like some really good numbers going in the preferred direction. Just doing some back-of-the-napkin math in my head it looks like you have a huge W/kg advantage on the 5 minute interval over me but we converge and get really close to each other on the 20 minute interval. I will leave it to the smarter folks in the bunch to really say what that may mean, if anything, but I think it probably points to the fact that:

1) I don't really know how to suffer.

2) I am puny little weakling. And

3) you might have some cardiovascular overhead space left to claim.

Rusty, what is your W' ?
2015-02-10 6:54 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Marc - I don't even know what you are asking me!

Looks like I need to read through the Power Mentor thread once and for all....

2015-02-10 7:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

what are your 5' and 20' numbers ?

Your W' is your anaerobic work capacity. If your 5' number is much less than James' and your 20' is similar, that means you have a really small W' :-)
My instinct is James' number is already understated, which is why I am surprised at yours being even lower

2015-02-10 7:26 PM

User image

I have a really huge spread in my 5' and 20' power.  Last year it was somewhere around 368 and 305-310.  Marc says that my W' (or battery) is the size of a small SUV.  I'm not sure if that's a compliment, or him just implying that I'm fat.  

2015-02-10 7:33 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by marcag

what are your 5' and 20' numbers ?

Your W' is your anaerobic work capacity. If your 5' number is much less than James' and your 20' is similar, that means you have a really small W' :-)
My instinct is James' number is already understated, which is why I am surprised at yours being even lower

Marc my W' dropped from 16 to 12. I sure don't get that any though?
2015-02-10 8:25 PM

User image

what are your 5' and 20' numbers ? Your W' is your anaerobic work capacity. If your 5' number is much less than James' and your 20' is similar, that means you have a really small W' :-) My instinct is James' number is already understated, which is why I am surprised at yours being even lower

I think your 5' power is a lot higher than 342.  It takes a lot of extreme suffering to actually hit your max 5' power.  Usually around 90 seconds in you start cursing and it's pretty much the longest 200ish seconds of your life that you are counting down.

2015-02-11 2:48 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

what are your 5' and 20' numbers ? Your W' is your anaerobic work capacity. If your 5' number is much less than James' and your 20' is similar, that means you have a really small W' :-) My instinct is James' number is already understated, which is why I am surprised at yours being even lower

I think your 5' power is a lot higher than 342.  It takes a lot of extreme suffering to actually hit your max 5' power.  Usually around 90 seconds in you start cursing and it's pretty much the longest 200ish seconds of your life that you are counting down.

Yup, I agree.  You are still in the "figuring it out" stage and while you said your zones at least make sense now I bet over the next few weeks you see more signs that will narrow things down a bit tighter for you and then re-testing will give you a pretty good idea.  A W' of 12 kJ seems low to me with your CP around 300w.  Unless you are just a big diesel engine with one gear.  

2015-02-11 4:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

I agree. Erg mode is not ideal for that kind of testing. You may have left some on the table

Edited by marcag 2015-02-11 4:32 AM

2015-02-11 6:44 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by ChrisM16 mile run with 1750' of climbing. Mary training back on track
Nice Chris! Good to hear that you are back. That type of climbing will be good for Alcatraz as well.

my first race of the year is also in the books: 11.5 mile trail race, 1580' of vertical (according to Garmin, but who really knows...) and a spot-on -6:00 PR (6:01 to be exact) from last year, when I thought I ran a really well-executed race at the edge of my abilities at the time. This time around I basically executed the same race plan as last year: ease in to the first 4 miles, murder every downhill and recover the ups just a little (basically as neutral a VI as possible, in bike terms) and then Inthe last 4 miles go for broke. It seems to have paid off well As I managed a 16th OA, which is fairly good as this is a very competitive regional race that sells out every year in less than 10 minutes from going live. With about a mile or so to go my left calf started to flake out on me, and cramped hard just as I crossed the finish line. So the calf is still really sore today (channeling some of Chris' miracle healing powers) but other than that I have actually recovered fairly quickly and was able to make it through a set of somewhat challenging overgear intervals this morning.

Rusty - Nicely done! I hope the calf is back to normal soon.

2015-02-11 6:45 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by cdban66

Rusty - Nicely done! I hope the calf is back to normal soon.

Ooooh, I missed this post!  Nice work Rusty!

2015-02-11 7:19 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

WOW Rusty 6:00 of running in the woods that's amazing. Great work! Did they have aid stations or was it carry your own?

2015-02-11 7:39 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by axteraa

Yup, I agree.  You are still in the "figuring it out" stage and while you said your zones at least make sense now I bet over the next few weeks you see more signs that will narrow things down a bit tighter for you and then re-testing will give you a pretty good idea.  A W' of 12 kJ seems low to me with your CP around 300w.  Unless you are just a big diesel engine with one gear.  

So hypothetically I plugged into Golden Cheetah My 5' test 342w and a hypothetical 20' test of 325w. That put my CP @319w and W' 7kJ.

So seams to me the less spread between the 5' & 20' the lower the W' is.

Rusty - I found this video and really helped me understand the CP/W' thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Sw3vOCq9U

The volume is real low so turn it up.

2015-02-11 7:43 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by BrotherTriSo hypothetically I plugged into Golden Cheetah My 5' test 342w and a hypothetical 20' test of 325w. That put my CP @319w and W' 7kJ. So seams to me the less spread between the 5' & 20' the lower the W' is. Rusty - I found this video and really helped me understand the CP/W' thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Sw3vOCq9UThe volume is real low so turn it up.

Yes, exactly - the bigger the difference, the higher that value will be.  My 362w and 311w gives me 20 kJ but my CP is lower at 294w, also due to the larger difference between the two.

2015-02-11 7:54 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
Ontario

I have so much work to do...once the Pan Am Games are finished then I think I'm going to find some structured cycling programs to take at the track.  I got my certifications this past weekend, but they had a drop in program riding right after so I watched these guys ride for a few minutes and it was little intimidating given I have minimal group riding experience.  Just need to find a semi-quiet day to test out how I ride with a bigger group.

2015-02-11 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by axteraa

So hypothetically I plugged into Golden Cheetah My 5' test 342w and a hypothetical 20' test of 325w. That put my CP @319w and W' 7kJ.

So seams to me the less spread between the 5' & 20' the lower the W' is.

Rusty - I found this video and really helped me understand the CP/W' thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Sw3vOCq9U

The volume is real low so turn it up.

that is a great video from Dr Skiba

I suspect it's the other way around in your case James. You probably are capable of higher than 342w on the 5' test

If your previous test was with the CT and this one with the PT, ignore previous results. The two systems are reading differently

2015-02-11 9:39 AM

User image

I agree with Marc about not using erg for a 5' test. You kind of just have to go for it and bury yourself. My guess is your closer to 365-380...especially since you have road and crit racing experience in the past. If you were the type of person who was just a one gear diesel and a low W', you would have a hard time with road racing and crit sunless you just rode everyone off your wheel on a solo breakaway.
2015-02-11 9:48 AM

Master
Northern IL

I'm also thinking there could be more left in the 5' test simply based on estimates of my own from last year and the W' that comes out of it. My W' would have been about the same as what's been said even though I hadn't really done that much work over threshold. A good deal of hard work was being done, but more in the 90-95% range than at 100% or more that James has been doing.

ETA: I don't know that it's a huge deal to find it like right this second, but more to know for next time around. It would bump CP up a little bit, but they guy seems to like going hard!

Edited by brigby1 2015-02-11 9:50 AM
2015-02-11 11:10 AM

User image

Seattle

Bike or running? 

If it's running, I really struggle with the "murder the downhills" part. Any tips?

My coach said that I have improved greatly in terms of form (not over-striding, keeping hands and knees low) I'm just not fast at doing it. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-02-11 11:19 AM

2015-02-11 2:58 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Hey I am sorry about hogging up the thread with my power talk. Not much other chatter so I figured it’s ok. If not just tell me to stop posting……

Today’s workout was a threshold off my Critical Power (CP) zones. I was shooting for 90-95% of CP and did good @92% of 303w.

What stumps me with this is my W’ Expended (%) was 16. That is strange. Anyway I did 2x40’ @92% of CP. What really make me happy Avg HR was 149. Oh yeah my TSS was 128. I think GC see this as BikeScore 128

GC screen shots……

(2x40'@ 278w & 276w NPb.png)

(2x40'@ 278w & 276w NP.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
2x40'@ 278w & 276w NPb.png (56KB - 1 downloads)
2x40'@ 278w & 276w NP.JPG (93KB - 1 downloads)
2015-02-11 3:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
What stumps me with this is my W’ Expended (%) was 16. That is strange.

that's 16%

Your W' balance will drop faster if riding over CP. Because you stayed under, it did not drop fast. That does not mean it wasn't hard :-)

Good ride!
2015-02-11 3:23 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Bike or running? 

If it's running, I really struggle with the "murder the downhills" part. Any tips?

My coach said that I have improved greatly in terms of form (not over-striding, keeping hands and knees low) I'm just not fast at doing it. 

Adrienne it was a trail run. I also just figured he ran 6 minutes faster not 6 hours. Man I feel like a dumoss. Sorry for doubting your Rusty.....

2015-02-11 3:25 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Marc - I don't have actual test numbers from anytime recent. All I have is inference. For example, this morning I had a very, very hard 2 minute interval that was built to 318w. A very solid (but still with gas in the tank) 10' interval earlier this week was 253w, but it was also an overgear interval. But I might be doing some legit testing soon - I just got this in the mail today:

BSX Insight

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).