BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-03-03 5:56 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed
Originally posted by wannabefaster

This morning I did 10 minutes warm up and then 4 x (4 minutes at FTP + 11 minutes at 75% of FTP). The first two went great but I struggled to hold the higher power during the third and fourth repeats.

so 10min w/u then 4min at FTP then 11min at 75%, then 4min @FTP, then 11 at 75%....repeat another 2 times .and you struggled ?

if so, there is something very wrong with your FTP

2016-03-03 6:36 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by marcag

This morning I did 10 minutes warm up and then 4 x (4 minutes at FTP + 11 minutes at 75% of FTP). The first two went great but I struggled to hold the higher power during the third and fourth repeats.

so 10min w/u then 4min at FTP then 11min at 75%, then 4min @FTP, then 11 at 75%....repeat another 2 times .and you struggled ?

if so, there is something very wrong with your FTP

I wouldn't be surprised if my FTP number is very inflated. Or I am very wimpy.

Are you saying that this should this have been relatively easy?

The same type of effort while running is much easier for me to hold. I get on the bike and these harder efforts are a significant issue for me.

My notes to my coach stated that I am unsure if my power fall off was more of a physical or mental issue. Either way, I struggled.

The cycling was much easier when I wasn't running too. I ran 14+ miles yesterday, approximately 3.5 on Tuesday and some significant strength work on Monday. I am getting on the bike with the legs already tired......
2016-03-03 7:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Are you saying that this should this have been relatively easy?

Aside from the warm up, the normalized power for 1hr : 4x(4@100+11@75) would work out to 84% of FTP.

The last 10minutes I'd be moving around in my saddle, but not struggling half way through for sure.
2016-03-03 7:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I wouldn't be surprised if my FTP number is very inflated. Or I am very wimpy. Are you saying that this should this have been relatively easy?

The same type of effort while running is much easier for me to hold. I get on the bike and these harder efforts are a significant issue for me. My notes to my coach stated that I am unsure if my power fall off was more of a physical or mental issue. Either way, I struggled. The cycling was much easier when I wasn't running too. I ran 14+ miles yesterday, approximately 3.5 on Tuesday and some significant strength work on Monday. I am getting on the bike with the legs already tired......

I did 4x5' @ FTP on 1.5' easy this morning, and while I don't classify anything at threshold as "easy", this was not an overly taxing ride.  I haven't done a ride exactly like what you described (4' @ 100% followed by 11' @ 75% and repeated with no recovery period), but it sound pretty manageable. 

On the other hand, a similarly paced run would probably kill me (and, of course, would be stupid-slow compared to what you would do).  It always surprises me how some people take to running and others to biking (swimmers are a whole different breed ).  To me, it seems like it should be way easier for people to make gains on the bike because you can do so much without a huge risk of injury....but then I also "get" the argument that, as humans, we have basically evolved to run and have been doing it from quite a young age.  And still, I struggle so much with running...

2016-03-03 7:59 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Really enjoying all of the talk about power, aerobic versus anaerobic etc.  Always interested in what works and what the purpose of specific workouts is.

I am doing a bike ride/race on Saturday.  It is a "ride" but there is always a group that goes hard from the start.  21.9 miles out and back and totally flat.  Should be alot of fun if I can hang with the fast guys till the end.  Could be a good indication of where I am looking ahead to some of the early season sprints.

Jason-I am going to give the 4/11 workout a try next week....I suspect we will learn that we are both adverse to pain on the bike.

2016-03-04 5:55 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions

I wouldn't be surprised if my FTP number is very inflated. Or I am very wimpy. Are you saying that this should this have been relatively easy?

The same type of effort while running is much easier for me to hold. I get on the bike and these harder efforts are a significant issue for me. My notes to my coach stated that I am unsure if my power fall off was more of a physical or mental issue. Either way, I struggled. The cycling was much easier when I wasn't running too. I ran 14+ miles yesterday, approximately 3.5 on Tuesday and some significant strength work on Monday. I am getting on the bike with the legs already tired......

I did 4x5' @ FTP on 1.5' easy this morning, and while I don't classify anything at threshold as "easy", this was not an overly taxing ride.  I haven't done a ride exactly like what you described (4' @ 100% followed by 11' @ 75% and repeated with no recovery period), but it sound pretty manageable. 

On the other hand, a similarly paced run would probably kill me (and, of course, would be stupid-slow compared to what you would do).  It always surprises me how some people take to running and others to biking (swimmers are a whole different breed ).  To me, it seems like it should be way easier for people to make gains on the bike because you can do so much without a huge risk of injury....but then I also "get" the argument that, as humans, we have basically evolved to run and have been doing it from quite a young age.  And still, I struggle so much with running...

Let's pretend we are measuring the difficulty of a workout by TSS in an hour.
Remember 1hr at FTP gives 100TSS so is 100%

Do that workout and your Normalized power would be 84% of FTP and your TSS would be 71

But overstate your FTP by 10% and your Normalized power would be 94% of FTP and your TSS would be 88.

Your FTP is 10% too high but the stress measured by TSS is (88-71)/71 = 24% higher

10% overestimated FTP is a lot more than 10% harder is the message here.

Remember that as you get closer to 100% and over your TSS is growing at the square of IF.

2016-03-04 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Let's pretend we are measuring the difficulty of a workout by TSS in an hour. Remember 1hr at FTP gives 100TSS so is 100% Do that workout and your Normalized power would be 84% of FTP and your TSS would be 71 But overstate your FTP by 10% and your Normalized power would be 94% of FTP and your TSS would be 88. Your FTP is 10% too high but the stress measured by TSS is (88-71)/71 = 24% higher 10% overestimated FTP is a lot more than 10% harder is the message here. Remember that as you get closer to 100% and over your TSS is growing at the square of IF.

Oh, for sure....that would be a much more taxing ride with an overstated FTP -- the threshold intervals would be up in VO2 effort, and the recovery at 75% would be closer to sweet spot.  To do that for a full hour would be rough (at best). 

2016-03-04 8:46 AM

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by wannabefaster I wouldn't be surprised if my FTP number is very inflated. Or I am very wimpy.

I expect that my FTP is on the low side as I don't test very often and probably should adjust more as workouts progress.

Despite this, I also feel that FTP effort workouts are a mental drain.  I know you are supposed to hold FTP wattage for an hour, but after 4 or 5 minutes I'm ready to take a break.

BUT this does seem to be limited to indoor trainer rides.  On race day, I don't know if its the adrenaline or just the mental distraction of the race itself, but I tend to be able to hold a much higher wattage for longer periods.

I'm finishing up my FTP testing on the weekend.  Assuming that my FTP does indeed increase, I am not too excited about training at the harder efforts. 

2016-03-04 1:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Could just be an off day.  Yesterday I was supposed to do 4x8' @ 95% with 2' rest.  It wasn't supposed to be a hard workout at all...in fact, even though the main set was only supposed to be 40 total minutes, if I had extended it out for a full hour (6x8') it would have only been 76 TSS.  I quit after the third rep because my legs felt like trash...so in reality my legs were toast after 38 TSS in 30 minutes.

Two weeks ago Thursday I did 4x12.5' with 2.5' rest @ 97%...so I wouldn't put too much stock in one workout.  If over time it proves that you can almost never perform these type of workouts that generate 70-80 TSS per hour...either you aren't managing recovery properly or your FTP is overstated.

How was your FTP determined anyway?  When was the last time it was adjusted?  How have your workouts been going since then?

Edited by Jason N 2016-03-04 1:17 PM
2016-03-04 4:06 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
FTP was determined by a 5 minute/20 minute test protocol. It has been a long, long, long time since I did that test. It is almost certainly no longer valid.

It is high time I sucked it up and did another test. But I will admit that I don't want to.

And managing recovery properly is a joke, right? :-) Working back to back to back 12-14 hour days with early morning and late night training while trying to see my wife and kids for awhile in the evenings...... I am in the middle of a block of seven consecutive weekends on call. So far I have been in to work every weekend..... Recovery is an area that I could up my game significantly. Who knows, maybe it would up my FTP as well.
2016-03-04 4:31 PM

User image

Well...I think your answer is right there.  That many work hours, mixed in with family life and training is not usually going to produce good results.  But priorities are priorities.  Family time and work certainly comes before training for us who don't depend on our race results to survive.

2016-03-05 8:02 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
South Alabama

Fun morning with the bike ride/race.  Mass start but stayed with the front group the whole way.  Sometimes fast and sometimes just spinning.  Last half mile was just whatever you had left.  Probably 20 of us coming across the line within a second of each other.  Looking back I probably spent too much time on the front but I don't think it made a difference in the long run.  The race finished right after a sweeping turn and things were a little hairy but everyone stayed upright.  Fun morning.  

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

2016-03-06 3:03 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Jason we do a FTP test once a quarter at the J where I work out in each of three classes. So if anyone is so inclined they can do a test four times a year. I have done the last three as I am ramping up my load. It is interesting to see how I am progressing. I think the first one was unnecessarily low because I was not mentally prepared. The last two were better because I knew what I was doing and was ready for it.

Randy how long was the ride/race? I am doing a century ride next Sat. My first. It's a staggered start and I will be towards the back because I was late registering. Not at all sure what to expect but I think it will be fun. My cycling training has been going well so I should be fine.

Question though for the group. I have been working a lot on nutrition and feeling better about my during ride fueling. However, I have not fueled for an event this long before. Where I need help in pre-ride. I don't think I am getting enough on board before the event starts. Anyone care to share what they consume before any event of this length?

Thanks,
2016-03-06 7:37 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Stuart,

My pre race go to is a big bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins, plus one to two bananas, plus a cup of coffee, all 1.5 to 2 hours prior to race time.

Then I drink about 400 calories of sports drink up until 15-30 minutes prior to race start.

Then I fuel during the race per plan. This gets me where I need to be for races of any length.
2016-03-06 7:40 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stuart-the race was 21.5 miles or somewhere thereabouts.  I did not worry too much about nutrition.  Coffee, water, bagel and greek yogurt 2 hours before the ride.  Sipped on a bottle with some nutrition in it during the hour pre race. A gel about 15 minutes before race and a few sips of nutrition during the race when the situation allowed.  For the century I suspect it will depend on how you are doing the ride.  With a couple of stops at rest stops or basically pushing through with minimum breaks?  I am no expert on long races but most folks try to shoot for a certain number of calories per hour through a combination of fluid intake, gels and other foods that the stomach can digest easily.  Fluid intake will likely depend on heat, wind and effort level.  I will defer to someone will more experience to hopefully provide more specifics.  How is the calf doing? 

2016-03-06 9:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Jason your breakfast sounds good but nothing that I have used, to date at least. Not a fan or raisins and bananas for me only go in a smoothie or nut bread. My wife makes the best banana nut bread of all time. However, I have been trying lots of options to find what works best. I can and have eaten all those things, just not my favorites.

In fact, I just started drinking coffee about a month ago. Not every day but when I am going to be working out for at least two hours. It seems to be giving me a small boost. My workouts are a tad better when I do that. Still working on validating the value though.

Randy yes, there are a few rest stop and yes, I think I have the on board nutrition dialed in sufficiently to do this distance and time. I just can’t seem to find a morning combination that gives me consistent results.

The calf is doing well. I am doing a lot of stretching and exercises to get it back in shape. Currently swimming 4 days a week at about 4500-5000 yards a day with no issues and have been ‘standing’ on climbs on the bike again for a little over a week. Also no issues. I won’t start running again until after the century though. Doc says I can now but no need to jeopardize the ride when a week won’t make much difference.

Thanks for the feedback.

2016-03-07 8:24 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

First outdoor ride of the season yesterday - full winter kit, but by the middle of this coming week I could have probably been in a light long sleeved jersey.  Bit of a humbling experience, the legs were feeling fatigued from the get go and although it was only just over 2 hours riding I was tierd later in the evening.  Definitely different getting outside again with varying terrain and a decent wind vs riding the trainer at steady even tempos.

2016-03-07 1:25 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Same thing for me Neil,

First ride outside this weekend, following Trainerroads plan I was supposed to do 3:15min ride. 1 hour in my legs were shot, just so much training I couldn't keep the pace I wanted. finished the whole ride at a bit slower pace, (don't know the PW as my meter is on my tri bike and I used the road bike)

but the next day I ran 15km and it wasn't too bad so I think it was just fatigue that killed me. I am currently enjoying my rest day today
2016-03-07 2:30 PM
in reply to: Murph333

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Half marathon for me yesterday. Nice day to race, 34 degrees and a bit breezy due to the fact the race is right next to the ocean. Ran in shorts, calf sleeves, and a long sleeve smart wool top. At times I was hot and a little chilly at other times but overall pretty comfortable. Ran 1:53:40 which I was happy with seeing how I'm not really in great run shape. I went in saying I was going to just treat it as a long run but as soon as the gun went off it became a best effort kind of day. I was really happy with how I paced it holding between 8:30 and 8:45 the whole way. Course is mostly flat with a few rollers in the middle. The last 5k hurt pretty good so I know my pacing was right on. Feeling pretty good today, not too sore as long as I keep moving.
2016-03-08 12:04 PM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Oakville

Well done Kevin!  It must be my thick Canadian blood but I prefer cooler weather for road races and really don't perform well in the heat.  For me, around 5 C/41 F is the ideal running temperature.

I had a bit of an "aha" moment swimming last night.  I'm bound and determined to get faster this year and so am trying to focus on just one or two aspects of my stroke at a time.  

I usually start out with decent form (for me) for the first few hundred meters of a swim session, but then everything starts to fall apart and I end up losing about 5-7 seconds per 50 meters by the end of the workout.

Last night I focused on engaging my core to keep my lower back and legs elevated.  Also, I'm not a big kicker and so don't really pay attention to what my feet and ankles are doing, but last night I focused on lowering drag and keeping my toes pointed. 

Just addressing these two areas seemed to help.  I did lose some speed but, on average, I was probably 4 or 5 seconds faster than I usually am by the end of a swim. 

I still have a long way to go, but its a start.

2016-03-08 5:51 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Originally posted by Scott71
Last night I focused on engaging my core to keep my lower back and legs elevated. 

This is something I've really started paying attention to as well. Seems to me like the upper body stuff just naturally commands a lot of attention, but I've accepted that body position is probably some of the lowest hanging fruit for me in terms of swim speed. My pool times are dreadful but my race times are consistently a pleasant surprise, which I attribute mostly to the advantage I get from swimming in a wetsuit (and partially to good drafting). Now that I'm targeting Nationals this year, which will almost certainly be non-wetsuit, I figure I need to get the body position stuff fixed.

2016-03-10 3:37 AM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning everyone!  Hope everyone is getting in some quality training.  I have got to be on the road for a few days and will try to get in a run each day.   I think everyone has read about my disdain of swimming. So, if you could only do one....swimming, biking or running which would it be?

2016-03-10 9:51 AM

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by slornow

So, if you could only do one....swimming, biking or running which would it be?

I share your disdain for swimming and so my ranking would be: 1. running, 2. biking and 3. swimming (a distance 3rd).

Running and biking are very close, but there's not a lot of bike races in my area and you pretty much can find a 5K, 10K or HM every month of the year.

I finally did my 20 minute test the other night.  The good news is that my CP went up 15 watts, the bad news is that I have to now train 15 watts higher. 

2016-03-10 11:18 AM

User image

New user
New Hampshire

Good morning everyone!  Hope everyone is getting in some quality training.  I have got to be on the road for a few days and will try to get in a run each day.   I think everyone has read about my disdain of swimming. So, if you could only do one....swimming, biking or running which would it be?

Right now I would say biking. Outdoors; not so much on the trainer. It looks like an early spring here in the Northeast so I'm anxious to get out on the roads. Running is a close second although I do tend to get burnt out from running if my volume starts to get to high. I actually enjoy swimming even though I'm not very good at it. It's just the logistics that I hate. 20 minute commute one way to the pool and I have to get up a 5:00 am in order to swim before work. Too crowded after work with swim team practice and such. In a couple months or so I'll start open water swimming a once or twice a week which I really enjoy.
2016-03-10 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Biking would be the choice without hesitation. Swimming would be an easy second. If I wasn't doing triathlons running would be an ancient memory only to be done again under threat of death. I guess that qualifies as distain for running.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 57257 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.