BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-03-10 12:01 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed

Originally posted by slornow

Good morning everyone!  Hope everyone is getting in some quality training.  I have got to be on the road for a few days and will try to get in a run each day.   I think everyone has read about my disdain of swimming. So, if you could only do one....swimming, biking or running which would it be?

Without a doubt, I'd be on the bike.  I'd rather ride on the trainer than run or swim!  Running and swimming switch places back and forth, but never overtake biking.  As of today, I had a hard run on Tuesday night that beat me up pretty good....and a good swim on Wednesday morning....so my ranking would be biking, swimming, running.  That said, I hate OWS and would much rather run so I can see new places/things, so in general, I guess running might beat swimming.

2016-03-10 12:35 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Running > Swimming > Biking

Like Randy thinks about being a single sport cyclist, I think about being a single sport runner. If I could train as much as I do but just run, I think I would be quite fast (or injured).
2016-03-10 1:47 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Biking for sure. It's the sport I've done most consistently and for longest. I think part of it is I just like going fast, but you also get to see a lot more on a bike.

Swimming would be second. I'm not very good at it but I like it and always feel good after a swim.

Running is in last for me, though it's been growing on me. I don't hate it as much as I used to.

Basically, if swim-cycle/aqua-bike events were more competitive I probably wouldn't be running at all. And I can foresee a time in the future when I just focus on biking. Although I will say that the funny thing about the bike is that the workouts themselves can be the least enjoyable of the 3.
2016-03-10 6:28 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis Biking for sure. It's the sport I've done most consistently and for longest. I think part of it is I just like going fast, but you also get to see a lot more on a bike. Swimming would be second. I'm not very good at it but I like it and always feel good after a swim. Running is in last for me, though it's been growing on me. I don't hate it as much as I used to. Basically, if swim-cycle/aqua-bike events were more competitive I probably wouldn't be running at all. And I can foresee a time in the future when I just focus on biking. Although I will say that the funny thing about the bike is that the workouts themselves can be the least enjoyable of the 3.

I don't think I've ever met (or "met") someone whose thoughts echo mine so exactly.  If aqua bike events were more competitive, I'd probably do them as well....but I don't want to win a race because I'm the only one racing!

Agree that the bike training can be incredibly awful, but even after a particularly brutal training ride, there's a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment that I don't get from either swimming or running. 

2016-03-11 7:14 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Running > Swimming > Biking

Like Randy thinks about being a single sport cyclist, I think about being a single sport runner. If I could train as much as I do but just run, I think I would be quite fast (or injured).

If it were only for casual exercise it would be running. But from a racing perspective running is too injury prone. It's how I got into tri, I had hurt myself running.

I like cycling but would only do it in areas with no cars which are few and with our winters would take away a lot of the fun

Swimming....sometimes I'd like to focus on it. It takes a lot of volume to get at it and triathletes just don't have that time. If I tripled my weekly volume I am sure I could progress. I would also need to learn to not try to beat the clock constantly.
2016-03-12 5:52 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Originally posted by slornow

Good morning everyone!  Hope everyone is getting in some quality training.  I have got to be on the road for a few days and will try to get in a run each day.   I think everyone has read about my disdain of swimming. So, if you could only do one....swimming, biking or running which would it be?

Basketball! Oh wait, that wasn't an option :-) Looking forward to a great game tonight. I predict either a classic or a blowout by UNC. They seem to be peaking at just the right time - totally manhandled the Irish yesterday. Anyway, couldn't be happier that these two are playing. Definitely the two best teams in the league this year. It was a great game at home at JPJ, but without the home court advantage...we'll see. Anyway, both could go far in the NCAAs. That will be a wide open tourney this year with no dominant teams out there.

But back to your question. Tough call for me. I feel the best after swimming (and would prefer a hard swimming workout over the other two). I love the simplicity of running (can do it anywhere, anytime), but I'm a lousy runner and it beats up my body. I love (outside) biking because we have great places to bike where I live. I think I chose triathlons in part because I really enjoy rotating through all three of them. I'd probably choose swimming for its overall benefits, though I feel quite certain that if it was the only one I did, after a couple of months, my choice would be anything but swimming!

Next weekend is our local "big race" - the Charlottesville 10 miler. About a month ago, I took a chance and doubled what had been my long run distance (from 4 to 8 or so). Probably not the smartest thing. But, doing this race has become a bit of a tradition with me, so even though I'm 20 lbs heavier than last year and haven't been exactly burning up the training, I signed up for it just before it filled up. I've had it in the back of my mind since December, and I probably wouldn't have done as much training as I have if I wasn't kind of aiming for it. Anyway, I expect my pace will be a good minute slower than recent years, but it will be a good workout and will see friends along the way. And who knows, maybe suffering through the race will convince me to take losing the weight a bit more seriously going forward!

Happy St. Paddy's everyone!
Stu

2016-03-12 5:47 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Well, I'll say this: running outside after months on the treadmill is pretty damned great. First outdoor run of the season yesterday, and it was beautiful. Just a nice zone 2 5K as the sun was starting to go down.

The icing on the cake was the last time I did this particular route (mid-October so 5 months ago) I averaged around 6:23/km keeping it in zone 2. I recalibrated my zones shortly thereafter, but still - yesterday I average around 5:22/km in zone 2, so I take that as a positive sign from my winter on the treadmill.
2016-03-12 9:44 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

I've thought about being a single sport athlete a few times.  My junior high years had me dream about the Tour de France, and cycling is what I enjoy the most - but  the lifestyle does not balance with small kids and my job, so it would be mostly trainer with rare outdoor rides and very few opportunities to ride with a group., I also enjoy running but find the higher volumes start to beat me up a bit - it would be a toss up for me.

2016-03-13 12:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis Biking for sure. It's the sport I've done most consistently and for longest. I think part of it is I just like going fast, but you also get to see a lot more on a bike. Swimming would be second. I'm not very good at it but I like it and always feel good after a swim. Running is in last for me, though it's been growing on me. I don't hate it as much as I used to. Basically, if swim-cycle/aqua-bike events were more competitive I probably wouldn't be running at all. And I can foresee a time in the future when I just focus on biking. Although I will say that the funny thing about the bike is that the workouts themselves can be the least enjoyable of the 3.

I don't think I've ever met (or "met") someone whose thoughts echo mine so exactly.  If aqua bike events were more competitive, I'd probably do them as well....but I don't want to win a race because I'm the only one racing!

Agree that the bike training can be incredibly awful, but even after a particularly brutal training ride, there's a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment that I don't get from either swimming or running. 

Count me as three. Aqua/Bike events would be great if there were enough people in them to be a race. I also agree that there is a difference between the accomplishment of a long or hard ride and the other two. Case in point, see my following post (so as not to confuse topics).

Edited by Stuartap 2016-03-13 12:39 PM
2016-03-13 12:39 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I did my first century ride yesterday in between rain storms Friday and today. Clear and sunny, a bit chilly in the morning. All in all a nice day to ride on easily some of the worst roads I have ever ridden on. It was so bumpy in some spots my computer on my bars shook loose twice.

The good:
~I finished!
~The scenery was in some places, spectacular. Cresting a hill to see acres of vineyards just as the sun was coming over the top, awesome.
~The people were great, including the organizers, vendors and host hotel. The riders were simply great. Friendly, helpful and fun to be around.
~The after ride food was really good. Prepared by the hotel it was flavorful and plentiful.

The bad:
~My nutrition plan fell apart at the back end of the ride.

My pre-ride nutrition which I was concerned about turned out well. I started strong and had a great first 40 miles. The next 20 were good. But that is where what I brought with me ended. I tested the stuff they offered at the rest stops but it didn't hold up under real life conditions.

The 4th 20 mile section was fair to poor. I could tell my nutrition was failing. Time to improvise. Not something you ever like to do but the plan was clearly not working. I did discover that there were two things that seemed to help but not long enough. PB&J seemed to give me a boost but it only lasted 5-10 miles. It did keep me going just not for long. Also Fig Newtons gave me a jump but again, not sustained.

The last 20 miles were a struggle. Combine the nutrition issues with the two toughest hills and there were times I was not sure I would make it. Right after the 80 mile mark is a climb they call 'The Wall'. I didn't think it was as tough as advertised. It's long but doable. That's followed by a long descent which would be good if you didn't expect your brains to be scrambled over some crappy roads. The the second climb which I found harder than the Wall. Shorter but steeper.

So at least I learned a few things. I will be trying some more solids to see if I can find something that if properly timed could last a while. Also I guess I should look at increasing what I carry on board in liquids. Maybe a between the bars hydration system or a double bottle cage behind the seat. I do have until Dec to figure this out but that will come quick enough.

Any and all suggestion would be appreciated.
2016-03-15 7:15 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning gang-sorry to be absent for a few days.  Left early last Thursday morning for a 14 hour drive to Virginia.  Was there until early yesterday morning then made the long drive home.  Was able to get in a couple of runs while there but otherwise just hanging out and visiting with friends and family.  Was up there for the funeral of an uncle that had been ill for  quite awhile.   Despite the circumstances it was  good to see family including some that I had not see in 20+ years.

Now its time to get back at it as my first race is only a little over 3 weeks out. 

Stuart-good job and pushing through and finishing the century.

Edited by slornow 2016-03-15 7:17 AM

2016-03-15 12:30 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
So I recently put a -17deg stem on my bike and am now far enough removed from my original Retul fit that I figured I'd solicit some feedback. Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/R-jrMmL28D4

I'm specifically wondering about a couple of things:
1) Seat too high? I do naturally point my toes, but I'm wondering about the angle of my knee at full extension. There also seems to be some rocking going on though I've never been conscious of it before, but when I moved the trainer for this video I was immediately aware of some rocking - not sure if the trainer itself wasn't all that stable where I set it up. I'll see when I get things set up back in the pain cave.
2) Reach - does this look good or should I move the pads/extensions out further?

Any other feedback appreciated.
2016-03-15 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis

So I recently put a -17deg stem on my bike and am now far enough removed from my original Retul fit that I figured I'd solicit some feedback. Here's a video:

1) Seat too high? I do naturally point my toes, but I'm wondering about the angle of my knee at full extension. There also seems to be some rocking going on though I've never been conscious of it before, but when I moved the trainer for this video I was immediately aware of some rocking - not sure if the trainer itself wasn't all that stable where I set it up. I'll see when I get things set up back in the pain cave.
2) Reach - does this look good or should I move the pads/extensions out further?

Overall I think it looks pretty good. Any adjustments I would do would be based on aero testing.

I would try pads in a bit
More reach
Head down
Getting another cm or two lower without impacting power.

I would try them all separately and go from there.

2016-03-15 7:52 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
A couple updates.....

I got laid low by a horrendous, hacking cold last week. I had recently bragged to someone that I had not been sick in forever and hubris promptly laid me low. It messed with my training a bit, but I have always been of the theory that (as much as possible) you should train right through a cold. Skipped a couple sessions and had a couple low quality sessions, but I think I am coming out the other side relatively ok.

On Saturday I went to the Michigan version of the Slowtwitch roadshow. It was a lot of fun:

The place where it was held has a "Tweak" swim tank on site. They put you in an endless pool with an underwater video camera. You swim for about 30-60 seconds while being filmed and then stand up and get immediate critique/feedback on your stroke with video analysis on the spot. It was really cool to do and the guy identified a little bobble in my stroke so I have something new to work on. A very cool experience and I will likely go back for further instruction.

I rode a bike with SRAM Red ETap and I 'need' this on my bike. Randy has been telling me for years that if I ever rode DI2 I would make the change.... Well, I told my bike shop to get me the ETap as soon as it becomes available. It was so sweet.

John Cobb, the John Cobb! was there. I was walking around and saw him sitting in a quiet area all by himself. I went up and asked him if he was, indeed, John Cobb. He said yes and that he was there with a fit bike if I was interested in tinkering around. Are you kidding me? A chance to have John Cobb fiddle with my fit for free. Yes, I'll do that. He got me very comfortable on the fit bike with the front quite a bit lower than on my current bike. How did he do that you ask.... well, (Nicole you may be interested in this :-) ) He had adjustable length cranks and set me up with 155 cranks. It felt awesome. He says that almost never does someone go back. He suggested that I could go as short as 145 with no problem. So anyways, my bike is in the shop getting Nicole's old Rotor 155s put on. Should be interesting. Tried all of his seats out in quick succession and really liked the V flow Max the best. Bonus, I have a three year old version of this on my trainer bike already.

A Garmin guy was there and he fixed my Garmin 520 that hadn't worked since I did the scheduled update. Totally rocks!

Met some fun people and tentatively signed up for the shop's triathlon team.

All in all, a very successful Saturday (when I wasn't coughing up a lung).

If any of you live in close proximity to where any future road show is going to be, it was definitely worth the drive. I would say that a 90 minute drive would not have been too much for all that I got out of it.

Hope everyone's training is going well and that the impending Spring is upon us soon.

2016-03-15 7:56 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis

If my position/fit looked that good I would be very happy.

I like Marc's suggestions and the idea that you do them one at a time. However, if you did nothing at all from here I think you would be in a better position than 90% of the people at most races.
2016-03-16 12:11 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

First, I'm really glad that those cranks are going to work for you!!  Did you ever find those spacers (I assume what I sent in that pic was not what you needed??)?

Second, I've been kind of back and forth on going to the ST road show that's in my area.  It's about 90 minutes away, so I wasn't sure I'd get enough out of it to make it worth it, but based on your description, I'm leaning more toward "yes".  Thanks for the info!

2016-03-16 12:25 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

First, I'm really glad that those cranks are going to work for you!!  Did you ever find those spacers (I assume what I sent in that pic was not what you needed??)?

Second, I've been kind of back and forth on going to the ST road show that's in my area.  It's about 90 minutes away, so I wasn't sure I'd get enough out of it to make it worth it, but based on your description, I'm leaning more toward "yes".  Thanks for the info!

I have to travel across the border to upstate New York but decided it was just too far - if only there had been a good shop with a tour stop in Buffalo.  That drive I would have made.  Does sound like it would have been great.

2016-03-16 2:13 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

First road race of the season in the books and was able to defend my title.  

Race Report

Strava (includes a little more after the finish before I stopped my Garmin)

2016-03-16 2:48 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I have bee a fan of Jan and following him closely since about 2009ish. I love his outlook, focus. preparation, and energy to the sport. Simply put, he gets it.

"It's every day....it's consistency in small steps towards a big goal." .....BINGO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIIDf7zNSF4

And that is exactly what long-term athletic development is. Sometimes I feel people focus too much on the numbers and goal times and forget about the long-term athletic development process. It's about getting slightly better each and every day that makes us better. Many people are outcome driven and that is fine, but the process driven approach works great as well. Perspective is a great way to measure progress in the sport.

Swam with a friend today. We've known each other for years. I usually would tow him around. He became a FOP AG'er and made the jump to the pro ranks last year. Still his swim was the weak point. Swam with him today and he blew me out of the water.

Main portion of the work set today was....

4x200 leaving on 2:55, coming in on 2:35
6x100 leaving on 1:25, coming in on 1:15
8x50 leaving on :55 coming in on :35

All SCY

He constantly beat me to the wall on each interval, in the middle of a 40k swim week, with 3k already bagged in for the day, the progress he has made in just the past 2 years alone in the water is impressive.

How many of you reflect back to where you were, what you were thinking, doing, what your approach was and how that has progressed and matured?

2010 this set would not have been possible for either of us. Today is was a good push for me but doable.
2016-03-16 4:34 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

No. I showed the pic to my mechanic and he said those were dust covers. He called Rotor and they were sending new spacers to the shop. Hopefully the bike will be ready by tonight.
2016-03-16 6:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by wannabefaster
I rode a bike with SRAM Red ETap and I 'need' this on my bike. Randy has been telling me for years that if I ever rode DI2 I would make the change.... Well, I told my bike shop to get me the ETap as soon as it becomes available. It was so sweet.

On a bike that allows internal wiring, I'm not sure I would go etap given the price difference.
You can get Ultegra 11speed DI2 for about $800 US (derailleurs, shifters, batteries, cables, brake/shifter levers).
Etap will be double that
Same wiring up front. Etap on a tri box requires wires up front.

Wiring the back end takes 30min. It's all internal and you do not see it.

Now, mechanical to electronic I get, but for that little wiring, that is done once, on a bike that is ready for it, it seems that money is better spent elsewhere. Just an opinion. I just upgraded my tri bike to DI2 11speed, ordered the same for my road and will move my 10speed DI2 to my P2.

On a bike that doesn't allow internal routing I can see it.

Edited by marcag 2016-03-16 6:32 PM

2016-03-17 12:14 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Originally posted by marcag
Overall I think it looks pretty good. Any adjustments I would do would be based on aero testing.

I would try pads in a bit
More reach
Head down
Getting another cm or two lower without impacting power.

I would try them all separately and go from there.

Thanks for the feedback. Everything feels fine right now so I'll stick with what I've got until I can get outside and try some aero testing.

Moving the pads in and getting lower would both necessitate something like the Zipp Vuka Clip as the Profile Design pads I have on now are already as narrow as they'll go, and I've removed all the spacers from my steerer and put on a -17deg stem. The Zipps would let me mount the extensions under the basebar and by my estimation would get me about 3cm lower, and could get me narrower as well.
2016-03-17 1:54 PM

User image

General bike fit question.  If I'm happy with my current fit, and want to drop my cockpit down by removing spacers under the stem, I also need to slightly raise and move my saddle forward to maintain proper hip and shoulder angles?

2016-03-17 4:31 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

General bike fit question.  If I'm happy with my current fit, and want to drop my cockpit down by removing spacers under the stem, I also need to slightly raise and move my saddle forward to maintain proper hip and shoulder angles?

Saddle goes forward, bars go forward and down, in a ratio about 5cm forward, 3.9cm forward, 3cm down. For me. But the ratios should be close.
This is just rotating the 3 contacts points around the BB and preserving angles.
At one point too forward is too forward and there are other consequences.

It can be calculated o the mm if you know your saddle height, pad reach, pad stack, and top of seat to pad drop.
2016-03-17 4:42 PM

User image

So if my saddle can't really go much further forward, there is no way to drop the bars/pads without compromising fit angles?  If what I'm reading is right, the saddle needs to go further forward than the bars go down?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 57256 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.