BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 328

2010-09-29 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3123437

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
Havin'Fun - 2010-09-29 8:53 AM
DougRob - 2010-09-29 9:24 AM
Havin'Fun - 2010-09-29 6:58 AM Not this weekend, but....

Rev3 - I'm in!

Is Wes going to do it too? Are you bringing the kids? I may be running out of reasons not to do this race.

Wes is thinking about the Oly. 
Not sure about kid plans yet.....love to have them there, but need to work out logistics if Wes races.

Hey Linda - let me know if the hubby races.  Maybe we could find a sitter service in Knoxville for all of our kids.  Tony and I are trying to figure that out as well.  The sitter could certainly watch the kids at the race - there is so much for them to do.

2010-09-29 9:15 AM

User image

Expert

Rev3 - I'm in!

Is Wes going to do it too? Are you bringing the kids? I may be running out of reasons not to do this race.

Not sure about kid plans yet.....love to have them there, but need to work out logistics if Wes races.

Hey Linda - let me know if the hubby races.  Maybe we could find a sitter service in Knoxville for all of our kids.  Tony and I are trying to figure that out as well.  The sitter could certainly watch the kids at the race - there is so much for them to do.
2010-09-29 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2771574

User image

Expert
Oops!  Not sure how that happened!  ^^^^^
2010-09-29 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3123118

User image

Master
SSMinnow - 2010-09-29 5:27 AM Hey boys and girls......anyone out there considering doing a little racing this weekend? talk us through your plan!

For those of us non racers, what ONE non-SBR thing are you planning to do in the off-season?

Funny, I was thinking about that during my run this morning. I HAVE NO IDEA!!!! I like to try not setting alarms and getting up early, but there are also early-morning classes at my Y that I enjoy. Thought I might try to hit Yoga 1-2x a week for a couple of months. Basically, not lose fitness and not gain weight.
2010-09-29 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm leaning on doing the Rev3, I'm looking at training plans..  Not sure if anyone has one they can recommend for a traveler.  One thing for me is to remember to train when I travel.  I'm probably going to Asia at least 2-3 times before the race.  Also I'm probably going to go solo.  It's going to be expensive since i'll most likely have to fly.  Between registration, flight, hotel, car rental and bike transport it's going to be pricey..  Maybe I can convince my friend to do it and we can drive down, 12 hrs is a long time in a car after a race..  Anyone close by that wants to carpool?  The good thing about Rev3 as well is they allow you to transfer your registration if something comes-up.  It's good for me since my schedule changes all the time and Rev3 has 2 other races fairly close to me (if anyone wants to do Cedar Point or Quassy).

Originally my off season plan was to start playing basketball 2-3x a week, I played twice and my PF and knees started to act up again.  Since the whole reason I changed running style is to alleviate stress on the knees and parts of my feet, I'm ditching the b-ball and working on HIM training??
2010-09-29 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3123618

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
trying1 - 2010-09-29 10:33 AM I'm leaning on doing the Rev3, I'm looking at training plans..  Not sure if anyone has one they can recommend for a traveler.  One thing for me is to remember to train when I travel.  I'm probably going to Asia at least 2-3 times before the race.  Also I'm probably going to go solo.  It's going to be expensive since i'll most likely have to fly.  Between registration, flight, hotel, car rental and bike transport it's going to be pricey..  Maybe I can convince my friend to do it and we can drive down, 12 hrs is a long time in a car after a race..  Anyone close by that wants to carpool?  The good thing about Rev3 as well is they allow you to transfer your registration if something comes-up.  It's good for me since my schedule changes all the time and Rev3 has 2 other races fairly close to me (if anyone wants to do Cedar Point or Quassy).

Originally my off season plan was to start playing basketball 2-3x a week, I played twice and my PF and knees started to act up again.  Since the whole reason I changed running style is to alleviate stress on the knees and parts of my feet, I'm ditching the b-ball and working on HIM training??

HA you can ride with us but you have to sit between a 6 and 4 year old for 8 hours and hold the DVD player for them...

I don't belive the race sells out, especially not if you are doing the HIM.  I know I keep saying it but I need to really figure out my plan for next year. 

I want to do all the early season road race clinics
I might want to run an early season marathon depending on how OBX half mary works out
I want to get faster at Oly's and HIM's
I want to race my bike in crit's and Road Races
I want to do Cross for the full season next year.

Too much stuff and too little time.

2010-09-29 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
SSMinnow - 2010-09-29 6:27 AM Hey boys and girls......anyone out there considering doing a little racing this weekend? talk us through your plan!

For those of us non racers, what ONE non-SBR thing are you planning to do in the off-season?

No racing for me.  This is a big weekend though.  My wife and I run a charity golf tournament every year and Saturday is the day.  Lots of last minute things to do over the next few days to get organized.  Unfortunately, this little trip to Kentucky put me behind...headed home tonight and will have to work hard the next two days.

*******SHAMELESS PLUG AHEAD*******

All of you generous folks out there who need a good cause to support (or a 2010 tax deduction!) should visit www.friendsofjeremy.com.

I won't bore you with all the details but if you are interested, you can check it out.

******SHAMELESS PLUG DONE*********

As for non-sbr off season activities...I too hope to do some strength training.  I said that last season and it never happened so I need to get a schedule together.
2010-09-29 9:45 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2010-09-29 4:27 AM Hey boys and girls......anyone out there considering doing a little racing this weekend? talk us through your plan!

Oh oh me me!

Running a 1/2. This was my first ever half marathon when I ran it last year.
I am totally looking to smoke my time from last year.(2:15:xx).I better smoke my time.
I ran 3 1/2's off a bike this year, with two of them being faster than this time.
Would love to break through that elusive 2hr barrier, but I'm not completely holding my breathe.
This will be my last race before Vegas, so I really feel like I need this race to build some confidence heading into the full.
2010-09-29 9:47 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Rev3 - I'm in!

YEAH!!!! This is turning out to be bigger and better than I ever thought it would.  I'm a happy camper!

PS. Check out my groovy new shoes!  Tomorrow starts some work on a slight gait change. 

User image

Champion
oops.

Edited by SSMinnow 2010-09-29 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3123635

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2010-09-29 8:38 AM
trying1 - 2010-09-29 10:33 AM I'm leaning on doing the Rev3, I'm looking at training plans..  Not sure if anyone has one they can recommend for a traveler.  One thing for me is to remember to train when I travel.  I'm probably going to Asia at least 2-3 times before the race.  Also I'm probably going to go solo.  It's going to be expensive since i'll most likely have to fly.  Between registration, flight, hotel, car rental and bike transport it's going to be pricey..  Maybe I can convince my friend to do it and we can drive down, 12 hrs is a long time in a car after a race..  Anyone close by that wants to carpool?  The good thing about Rev3 as well is they allow you to transfer your registration if something comes-up.  It's good for me since my schedule changes all the time and Rev3 has 2 other races fairly close to me (if anyone wants to do Cedar Point or Quassy).

HA you can ride with us but you have to sit between a 6 and 4 year old for 8 hours and hold the DVD player for them...

I don't belive the race sells out, especially not if you are doing the HIM.  I know I keep saying it but I need to really figure out my plan for next year. 

I want to do all the early season road race clinics
I might want to run an early season marathon depending on how OBX half mary works out
I want to get faster at Oly's and HIM's
I want to race my bike in crit's and Road Races
I want to do Cross for the full season next year.

Too much stuff and too little time.

Tell the ball and chain that this is your plan and she'll have to deal with it!
I'm sure after that conversation, you'll have lots of free time to get it all in.

2010-09-29 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3123667

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2010-09-29 10:45 AM
SSMinnow - 2010-09-29 4:27 AM Hey boys and girls......anyone out there considering doing a little racing this weekend? talk us through your plan!

Oh oh me me!

Running a 1/2. This was my first ever half marathon when I ran it last year.
I am totally looking to smoke my time from last year.(2:15:xx).I better smoke my time.
I ran 3 1/2's off a bike this year, with two of them being faster than this time.
Would love to break through that elusive 2hr barrier, but I'm not completely holding my breathe.
This will be my last race before Vegas, so I really feel like I need this race to build some confidence heading into the full.

Suzy gave me great advice for my first half marathon when I wanted to run sub 2 hrs.

9:09/mile is 2 hours.  Run 9:00/mile and bank those :09/mile  There might be a mile where you need an extra bit of time and those :09 add up. 

LOL, I was looking at my garmin and if I was within the last 10th of a mile and over 9:00 I would speed up to make sure I hit that number.

I ran a 1:58 somehing using that strategy it worked out really well.
2010-09-29 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3123033

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
kkcbelle - 2010-09-28 11:45 PM OK, of the early pics, Tracy, I LOVE the one of you getting into your wetsuit. Classic. And of the newer pics: WOW!!! Awesome leg shot!! STRONG!!!!!!!!!!! VERY cool!!

GEORGE:

I think the "get the training out of the way early" argument is sound when it comes to life with kids. Speaking from personal experience, that is the main reason I chose CDA for my IM, and it couldn't have played out better in terms of my summer and family time. Race was one week after school was out, and then I was free and clear. Yeah, my training was spotty at best all summer, but I had crossed off my main list item, so it was all OK. Makes for some gloomy training in the winter for sure... but it keeps ya honest!! Ha! I'd sooo love to "see" you do a HIM (from afar... of course I'd much rather SEE it up close or race one WITH you, but we take what we can get, right?!).

Yeah, when I was thinking about it, I gave in to the fact that the majority of my bike training would be indoors for this and probably won't have much more than 1 month outdoors before a May HIM.
2010-09-29 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3123674

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2010-09-29 8:47 AM

Rev3 - I'm in!

YEAH!!!! This is turning out to be bigger and better than I ever thought it would.  I'm a happy camper!

PS. Check out my groovy new shoes!  Tomorrow starts some work on a slight gait change. 

Damn..Paul has some sexy legs!!!

but seriously...newtons right?
I've had the 'sir isaac newtons ' and ran ~~100 miles in them so far. I like what they are trying to get my to do. Mid-foot strike. I am a heavy heel striker. I went to get some new fancy sport orthotics last week. I brought in new asics and my newtons. The doc essentially told me to throw the newtons away!! He said they are a horrible way to learn to mid foot strike. he jokingly told me just to put gravel in my heel instead to teach me to stay off my heel so much. The shoes don't necessaily train the body to stay off the the heels, and could cause other foot issues. I think every foot guy is going to have different opinions on them though. I think he just didnt think they would work for someone like me who is a bigger guy, midfoot striker, and a newish runner. I think they may have been contributing partially to my tight calves again as well. I havent given up on them, but i have put them away for the winter anyhow.

Will be curious how you like them. You are a smaller person and a good runner. Obviously they work for some/people or guys like Alexander wouldn't be wearing them.
2010-09-29 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3123701

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
gdale - 2010-09-29 8:55 AM
kkcbelle - 2010-09-28 11:45 PM OK, of the early pics, Tracy, I LOVE the one of you getting into your wetsuit. Classic. And of the newer pics: WOW!!! Awesome leg shot!! STRONG!!!!!!!!!!! VERY cool!!

GEORGE:

I think the "get the training out of the way early" argument is sound when it comes to life with kids. Speaking from personal experience, that is the main reason I chose CDA for my IM, and it couldn't have played out better in terms of my summer and family time. Race was one week after school was out, and then I was free and clear. Yeah, my training was spotty at best all summer, but I had crossed off my main list item, so it was all OK. Makes for some gloomy training in the winter for sure... but it keeps ya honest!! Ha! I'd sooo love to "see" you do a HIM (from afar... of course I'd much rather SEE it up close or race one WITH you, but we take what we can get, right?!).

Yeah, when I was thinking about it, I gave in to the fact that the majority of my bike training would be indoors for this and probably won't have much more than 1 month outdoors before a May HIM.

I wouldnt't worry to much about it George. I did Lonestar at the end of April with only 2 outdoor rides in before the race. You are a good stronger rider already.
2010-09-29 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3123705

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2010-09-29 10:56 AM

Rev3 - I'm in!

I've had the 'sir isaac newtons ' and ran ~~100 miles in them so far. I like what they are trying to get my to do. Mid-foot strike. I am a heavy heel striker. I went to get some new fancy sport orthotics last week. I brought in new asics and my newtons. The doc essentially told me to throw the newtons away!! He said they are a horrible way to learn to mid foot strike. he jokingly told me just to put gravel in my heel instead to teach me to stay off my heel so much. The shoes don't necessaily train the body to stay off the the heels, and could cause other foot issues. I think every foot guy is going to have different opinions on them though. I think he just didnt think they would work for someone like me who is a bigger guy, midfoot striker, and a newish runner. I think they may have been contributing partially to my tight calves again as well. I havent given up on them, but i have put them away for the winter anyhow.

Will be curious how you like them. You are a smaller person and a good runner. Obviously they work for some/people or guys like Alexander wouldn't be wearing them.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-09-29 10:11 AM

2010-09-29 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
******TRAINING QUESTION***********

There is a local half marathon in 5 weeks that I am seriously considering.  I'd love to improve my speed so this is what I'm thinking of my training schedule.  Please give your expert opinions.

Run 4x a week:  run 1) speed drills   run 2) tempo run at moderate distance  run 3) hills at moderate distance  run 4) distance.  This would be complimented with swimming 2x a week, biking 1-2x a week and strength training 2x/week.

What do you think of the order and anyone know of any good speed drills?  I have some but am always looking for more.

Thanks 
2010-09-29 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3123753

User image

Champion
Video from the cross race I am doing on the 10th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3GOMx3wHEs

Tracy, couple things.

Have you put times into the McMillian Calculator?  it gives you some good times to shoot for in long/tempo/speed workouts.

My coach has had me doing 1200's at the track lately.

800 @ 7:15ish pace (do each 400 in 1:48), 200 @ 6:30ish pace (:50), 200 recovery.  Do that 4 times with a 10-20 minute warmup and 10-20 minute cooldown. 

Obviously adjust times as needed, maybe 800 in Z4, 200 in 5a/Vo2 max, 200 recovery instead of paces. 

For hill workouts I have had 6 x hills for :30, recovery is running back down the hill, 5:00 recovery and do it again.  Add appropriate warmup and cooldown.

I would just be careful and still ramp things up, you don't want to hurt yourself.
2010-09-29 10:31 AM

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2010-09-29 10:15 AM ******TRAINING QUESTION***********

There is a local half marathon in 5 weeks that I am seriously considering.  I'd love to improve my speed so this is what I'm thinking of my training schedule.  Please give your expert opinions.

Run 4x a week:  run 1) speed drills   run 2) tempo run at moderate distance  run 3) hills at moderate distance  run 4) distance.  This would be complimented with swimming 2x a week, biking 1-2x a week and strength training 2x/week.

What do you think of the order and anyone know of any good speed drills?  I have some but am always looking for more.

Thanks 

What is with you and John????  You just RACED a HIM and need a nano second to recover from it before jumping back on the horse.   My advice is you give yourself this week to recover with easier Z1/2 efforts on the bike and run.  If you must add in a weekly tempo run at greater than your 10K pace for no more than an hour and then focus on your long runs.    You're not going to build a tremendous amount of speed in 3 weeks (assuming  a recovery week and a taper week), but you do have the potential to injure yourself if you do the four points above.

PS.  Not trying to be the glass is half empty girl, just asking you to pause and reflect that the approach you used for your HIM was a steady build and it worked.  I too, wanted to run three half marathons between now and the end of the year and my coach hit me over the head with a frying pan to knock some sense into me.
2010-09-29 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3123735

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2010-09-29 10:09 AM
TrevorC - 2010-09-29 10:56 AM

These are the Newton Guidance Trail Trainers and what my kiniseo recommended to start in because they're beefier.  Other than the placement of the lugs and a signifcantly reduced heel, they are as stable as my Saucony's.  I am going into this with eyes wide open and starting painfully slow.  Firs three runs are 30 minutes in length, basically run 2 telephone poles and walk 1 to get used to them.  Not all that different from my stress fracture rehab.  We'll see.  
2010-09-29 11:30 AM

User image

Master
Sin City
SSMinnow - 2010-09-29 3:27 AM Hey boys and girls......anyone out there considering doing a little racing this weekend? talk us through your plan!

Catch up playing video games.   Oh you mean in a form of physical work? Does a Wii count?

Seriously - most likely will do some yoga and strength training.  

2010-09-29 11:58 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

tahrens - 2010-09-29 11:15 AM ******TRAINING QUESTION***********

Thanks 

Gotta say I am in agreement with Suzy. Your body needs some time to recover. Take it easy you are not going to increase much of anything in only about 3 weeks of training and you stand a good chance of re-injuring yourself which would really screw up Canada next year. You will run a better time than at your HIM anyway as you don't have the swim and bike first.

2010-09-29 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3123808

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
SSMinnow - 2010-09-29 11:31 AM
tahrens - 2010-09-29 10:15 AM ******TRAINING QUESTION***********

Thanks 

What is with you and John????  You just RACED a HIM and need a nano second to recover from it before jumping back on the horse.   My advice is you give yourself this week to recover with easier Z1/2 efforts on the bike and run.  If you must add in a weekly tempo run at greater than your 10K pace for no more than an hour and then focus on your long runs.    You're not going to build a tremendous amount of speed in 3 weeks (assuming  a recovery week and a taper week), but you do have the potential to injure yourself if you do the four points above.

PS.  Not trying to be the glass is half empty girl, just asking you to pause and reflect that the approach you used for your HIM was a steady build and it worked.  I too, wanted to run three half marathons between now and the end of the year and my coach hit me over the head with a frying pan to knock some sense into me.

I am taking this week off for sure.  I'm planning a half marathon in February but that one is pretty flat so the training plan above was  more for that race, sorry should have mentioned that.  The race in 5 weeks is more to see what my current race speed is without all the other events before it.  One thing I've learned from this season's training is that it actually hurts less to run a little faster than shuffling along.  However I don't know my running body well enough to know how hard I can push it without completely bonking. I think I fell a little too much into shuffling along on Sunday and now I'm second guessing how hard I could have pushed it.  So the race in Novemember is that type of barometer.  I've gotta learn how to run hard now that I know I can do the distance and survive.  Always learning right?
2010-09-29 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
SSMinnow - 2010-09-29 5:27 AM Hey boys and girls......anyone out there considering doing a little racing this weekend? talk us through your plan!

No racing for me.  

Off-season, non-SBR for me involves some internal household remodeling that has been on my Bride's "Honey do" list for some time.  Pretty involved job, going down to the studs in this room and building it back including drywall, flooring, cabinet work, etc.  Will for sure take-up any extra time I have this winter.   I also have a couple of small jobs for some friends that need to be done, repair and re-texture a ceiling and retro-fit some French-doors into an opening between rooms. Sometimes it sucks to be "Handy" and have other know it!

Also planning on spending lots of time with "the Mistress" after I take this week really easy.  Is that SBR related?  Laughing  
2010-09-29 1:52 PM

User image

SSMinnow - 2010-09-29 6:27 AM Hey boys and girls......anyone out there considering doing a little racing this weekend? talk us through your plan!

I am! This one I get to race, it says so in my training plan! Problem is, I've never run a 15k before, so I have no idea how to pace it. I'll check McMillan - any other tips? Thanks! 

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 328