BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-02-15 7:59 AM
in reply to: #4549087

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED

So I know I have been a terrible mentor group mate but I have been following along every day and I really want to say a great big thank you to everyone.  This group, more than any other, has slowly helped me to change my mindset about training and what it means to train.  Your messages, attitudes and daily updates have helped me to see that I was always looking for the perfect time or even enough time to get the perfect workout in but it is more important that something (sometimes anything!) be done on a daily basis.

I was going to wait until I had a solid string of workouts in to rejoin the group but I'd like to start participating again, even sporadically, sooner rather than later.  As my son's latest bought of illness showed me, there likely will be no perfect time for anything in the future.  I'm largely on his schedule now.  

Anyway, it may seem silly to thank everyone for just being themselves and participating, but I have found it exceptionally helpful to see how all of you train with so many demands on your time and selves.

2013-02-15 7:59 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED
And a great big GOOD LUCK to everyone racing this weekend!!
2013-02-15 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4623323

User image

Elite
washington state

enders_shadow - 2013-02-15 5:24 AM OK, I know you're tired of hearing about my awesome hubby...but one more little brag on him... For Valentine's Day he surprised me with a new RoadID (my old one was out of date)! (I gave him fancy athletic socks. We're real romantics in our house...) Anyway - PACKET PICK-UP day! So exciting!

I think it's great!  Good luck this weekend!  Enjoy it

2013-02-15 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4623379

User image

Elite
washington state
Sulcus - 2013-02-15 5:59 AM

So I know I have been a terrible mentor group mate but I have been following along every day and I really want to say a great big thank you to everyone.  This group, more than any other, has slowly helped me to change my mindset about training and what it means to train.  Your messages, attitudes and daily updates have helped me to see that I was always looking for the perfect time or even enough time to get the perfect workout in but it is more important that something (sometimes anything!) be done on a daily basis.

I was going to wait until I had a solid string of workouts in to rejoin the group but I'd like to start participating again, even sporadically, sooner rather than later.  As my son's latest bought of illness showed me, there likely will be no perfect time for anything in the future.  I'm largely on his schedule now.  

Anyway, it may seem silly to thank everyone for just being themselves and participating, but I have found it exceptionally helpful to see how all of you train with so many demands on your time and selves.

I agree that this has really been a good group.  This is the first month in a long time that I have been consistent about working out.  I can't always do S/B/R  but I can generally work in a short aerobic session at home or some ST just to keep momentum going. 

Good for you for hanging in there.  Good wishes for your son's health.

2013-02-15 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4623323

User image

Master
Orlando
enders_shadow - 2013-02-15 7:24 AMOK, I know you're tired of hearing about my awesome hubby...but one more little brag on him...For Valentine's Day he surprised me with a new RoadID (my old one was out of date)! (I gave him fancy athletic socks. We're real romantics in our house...)Anyway - PACKET PICK-UP day! So exciting!
Ha ha, that sounds like my valentines day!Good luck and have fun racing.
2013-02-15 9:47 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

To start, so I don't forget...good luck to all those racing this weekend!!  I hope you have a great time!

I'm currently really regretting staying in bed on Tuesday morning and rejiggering all my workouts to later in the week.  What I didn't realize when I was laying there in the fog of early morning was that if I moved my rest day up a day I would be pushing my long run back a day...so this week was long swim, followed by long run, followed by long bike tomorrow!  My quads are already complaining!!  Oh well--presuming the long bike doesn't kill me tomorrow, it will make me stronger.  Also...more appreciative of my rest day on Sunday.

Today was long run (2.25mi--yep, that's long!) followed by 1300 in the pool.  Annoying day in the pool where I ended up swimming in the diving well because there is a swim meet going on this afternoon and all the lanes were closed.  The reason given was that they didn't want to disturb the water for the meet.  I don't have any clue what that means!  But, workouts for today are in the books and now it is time to get down to some work.

g

2013-02-15 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
It was a struggle to get there and I was late, but I made it to masters this morning and got a fairly decent swim in. Spoke to a guy in the next lane and found out he is doing a DOUBLE Ironman in 2 weeks. I am exhausted just thinking about that!
2013-02-15 10:41 AM
in reply to: #4623596

User image

amd723 - 2013-02-15 5:48 AM It was a struggle to get there and I was late, but I made it to masters this morning and got a fairly decent swim in. Spoke to a guy in the next lane and found out he is doing a DOUBLE Ironman in 2 weeks. I am exhausted just thinking about that!

There's a guy locally that's training for some triple deca (30 ironmans in 30 days) in Italy this year.

2013-02-15 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4623596

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

amd723 - 2013-02-15 10:48 AM It was a struggle to get there and I was late, but I made it to masters this morning and got a fairly decent swim in. Spoke to a guy in the next lane and found out he is doing a DOUBLE Ironman in 2 weeks. I am exhausted just thinking about that!

THere is a Double/ Triple IM here in VA in the fall.  I went up to support a couple of BT'ers my first year racing.  I still can't imagine going that long.  The swim was about a million laps around a string of buoys that was maybe 1/4 mile long.  THe bike and run courses were the same set up on the same road.  I can see why they did it for logistics and safety, but that had to be mentally tough to do 75+ laps of the same road on the bike then go back over it on the run a billion times.

2013-02-15 1:14 PM

User image

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend !

I usually avoid going out on Valentines Day but yesterday was an exception. Endulged in a tasting  menu with wine  pairing and was able to take a little nap through the Kenny G concert =) So it was more reason to sleep in as Fridays are normally my short work day/rest day...but got up early and was able to get in a solid workout.  This is the last free weekend before my 2 sprint tri's coming up so planning a brick tomorrow as well as begin practicing transitions.

First open water lake swim scheduled for early Sunday followed by a bay open water class that was cancelled a few weeks back. I actually purchased "swim-it " to wear as I practice more open water swimming. It a race legal swimming safely device you wear on your thigh...Our instructor requires it for her open water classes in the ocean...but thought it would be a good idea to use if training alone.

Have a great weekend !

2013-02-15 1:29 PM

User image

Expert

I had a very good, but extremely deep fried dinner last night along with a great beer (we were at a brewery, gotta have a beer, right?).  Not feeling great today, major stomach issues!  I've been eating real well lately, and haven't been drinking alcohol at all, my body was just like, wtf?  we don't eat this stuff anymore, get it outta here!  

Anyway...  short runs today and tomorrow, long run Sunday.  Might bike in there a bit too.  

Good luck to the racers, Judi and Kristen right?  Anyone else got a race this weekend?

david.

2013-02-15 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4623828

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
QueenZipp - 2013-02-15 11:27 AM

amd723 - 2013-02-15 10:48 AM It was a struggle to get there and I was late, but I made it to masters this morning and got a fairly decent swim in. Spoke to a guy in the next lane and found out he is doing a DOUBLE Ironman in 2 weeks. I am exhausted just thinking about that!

THere is a Double/ Triple IM here in VA in the fall.  I went up to support a couple of BT'ers my first year racing.  I still can't imagine going that long.  The swim was about a million laps around a string of buoys that was maybe 1/4 mile long.  THe bike and run courses were the same set up on the same road.  I can see why they did it for logistics and safety, but that had to be mentally tough to do 75+ laps of the same road on the bike then go back over it on the run a billion times.

What's the link to that Triple IM?

Very rainy, windy pace run along the ocean.  No complaints, it could have been freezing rain in Madison!

2013-02-15 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4624116

User image

Expert

Good luck to Judi and Kristen this weekend! Very exciting to have some races going on.

Nice that some of you have your spouses getting involved. My wife walks a couple of miles daily, but she has no interest in running or biking. She did say something that made me laugh yesterday. I came up from the basement after my trainer ride still wearing my tri shorts, she gave me a funny look and asked, " Are those underwear, or do you actually go out in public wearing them?"

Have a great weekend everybody!

2013-02-15 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4624064

User image

norcal_SAHD - 2013-02-15 9:29 AM

Good luck to the racers, Judi and Kristen right?  Anyone else got a race this weekend?

I'm racing on Monday (President's Day).  It's a 8.15 mile run/walk that's the biggest race here in Hawaii.  We usually get about 28-32k participants, with the vast majority being recreational joggers and walkers of all ages.  In fact, this was the very first race I had done when I was in 4th grade.  I think I did it every year from 4th to 9th grade and planted a small seed in me.  I only started doing this race again after picking up endurance sports at the age of 28.

Hoping to run at a pace where the first digit is a 6:XX, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen.  I ran 7:19 pace last year, but I'm also about 10 pounds lighter now than I was at this time last year.

2013-02-16 4:52 AM
in reply to: #4624204

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-02-16 4:56 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-02-16 6:05 AM
in reply to: #4624723

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Fred D - 2013-02-16 5:56 AM I've been really sick for most of this week. Little training and now I work for the rest of the weekend. I am hoping if I get a break to run on our hospital treadmill, but even that's iffy. My goal is to just forget this week and restart training on Monday. Apologies or being AWOL with the group and with inspires.

Hope you can get over the sinus infection and get back at it soon!

2013-02-16 6:48 AM
in reply to: #4624178

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
amschrod - 2013-02-15 3:27 PM

Good luck to Judi and Kristen this weekend! Very exciting to have some races going on.

Nice that some of you have your spouses getting involved. My wife walks a couple of miles daily, but she has no interest in running or biking. She did say something that made me laugh yesterday. I came up from the basement after my trainer ride still wearing my tri shorts, she gave me a funny look and asked, " Are those underwear, or do you actually go out in public wearing them?"

Have a great weekend everybody!

That's awesome.

Hubby has never asked me that, but when he put on his first pair of bike shorts, he walked around the house trying to figure out if they looked OK or if they looked weird. One of those "do these make my butt look fat" moments that has no right answer.
2013-02-16 10:34 AM

Carbondale, Illinois

I know it is probably to early, but ...............so...how did the races go?

I spent some time on the spin bike at the gym again this morning.  I really can't wait for the weather to warm up again so I can do my long rides outside.  I'm tired of looking at that little computer screen (and the empty room!).  I want some scenery!! 

Hope everyone else is getting in some good training today.

g

2013-02-16 11:27 AM

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
I got a race in at a local 5 mile race.  Lots of fun and really well run.  Glad to be back out running again.  February has been a nightmare with sickness in our house.  Everyone's got the gross flu etc. Hope our other racers did well!
2013-02-16 1:39 PM

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Good job to all who raced today/this weekend!  GREAT work.

I've had my best training week in over a month, and it felt great.  Looking at my training time, I basically DOUBLED the next closest week in the past 4 in terms of volume.  Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done, but its felt like the right thing to do.  I'm just REALLY tired now!!!

Today, original plan was about 5 mile run.  But plans changed last night and I did a bike/run brick.  15 mile Bike 2 mile run.  Would have gone further in the run (plan was 5k) but low back got really sore toward the end of the first mile and thought it best to stop at 2. 

Been good to get back at it and I've felt good about it.  Thanks to the Group for your support and encouragement -- It's been needed and welcomed!  Thanks!

2013-02-16 3:25 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Kristen and I had the same opinion of the race today.  Worst race ever.

Course sucked, 2 loops with no major up hill climbs but there was a vicious down hill at the end of each loop that was steep.  Weather was a bust, about 35 degrees with wind, mixed snow, rain and sleet.  The turns got congested and crowded because they were into narrow tunnels and stairs.  Oh yeah, about 40 stairs by the time you do both loops.  

Personal worst time.

2013-02-16 3:25 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Course sucked, 2 loops with no major up hill climbs but there was a vicious down hill at the end of each loop that was steep.  Weather was a bust, about 35 degrees with wind, mixed snow, rain and sleet.  The turns got congested and crowded because they were into narrow tunnels and stairs.  Oh yeah, about 40 stairs by the time you do both loops.  

Personal worst time.

2013-02-16 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4625089

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
QueenZipp - 2013-02-16 3:25 PM

Personal worst time.

Sounds like you and Kristen built some mental toughness today.  Awesome!  The fact the course and weather were poor and you still stuck it out to finish is great!

I think I had a little better course for my long run today, although 76F and 22mph ENE winds made it tougher than I would have liked.  A good mental toughness day for me too!  yeah.

2013-02-16 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4625089

Master
Orlando
QueenZipp - 2013-02-16 3:25 PM

Personal worst time.

Oh no, sorry you had such a bad experience. Hope they at least had good food/ drink at the finish.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64