BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2013-05-23 9:51 PM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED!
Steve, I actually have used compression shorts a lot when doing my marathon training.  Anytime I'd have a soft tissue issue (soreness, ache, etc.) between the knee and waist I use them for all workouts.  I think that they helped a lot.  And after I ran my PR in Eugene, I wore compression tights for the drive back to the SF area and my legs felt fresher the next day than they had after any other marathon. 

2013-05-24 6:45 AM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Had my first official OWS last night, went over 2 min faster than I ever have in the pool! I felt better afterward as well! Ok now I'm excited for Kansas!
2013-05-24 6:47 AM
in reply to: BigAirT

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Originally posted by BigAirT

Had my first official OWS last night, went over 2 min faster than I ever have in the pool! I felt better afterward as well! Ok now I'm excited for Kansas!

Congrats! I'm still waiting to have that feeling in OWS.
2013-05-24 6:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Stupid new BT double post.

Edited by enders_shadow 2013-05-24 6:48 AM
2013-05-24 10:07 AM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Expert

Originally posted by tri808
Originally posted by Mike_D So, my first race (Patriot HIM, Freetown, MA) is coming up in 3 1/2 weeks, and I feel like a kid who is trying to cram for a test he doesn't think he is ready for. No doubt, my training has been not been ideal this spring due to a number of things, but the swim will be fine, bike OK. The run, however may be total misery. I've been fighting a hammy injury since January, and its finally feeling much better, but its limited my run training to the point where my long run to date has been 8 miles, and i've nto had a single week where I've topped 20 mpw running. To save myself a bit of misery, I moved to a 9/1 run/walk strategy on runs which seems to be working for me, and keeps the injury in check. There's no doubt I'm doing this race, but I'm curious if anyone here has gone into a race knowing they are quite undertrained in one of the sports, and trying to not reinjury something which has been a problem? My race goal is to finish. I did this race last year, but had a bike crash 35 miles in which broke my bike in half (really!) and ended my day, and most of my 2012 season. Thoughts?
If your goal is to finish, and your run training is sub par, you will need to adjust accordingly. There really is no need to cram your run training at this point. Don't even worry about your long run distance because it won't matter. Just focus on running consistantly over the next 3.5 weeks. If that means staying with a 8 mile long run, so be it. Running fitness is more about your total running than any single long run. So don't try to cram in a 12 miler if it means it wrecks your other mid week runs. As far as race day, know that the effort you put in on the swim and bike will impact your run. Swim easy, bike conservatively, and use your run/walk approach. I wish I could sugar coat your race and say that you might be able to swim and bike to your current abilities and tough it out on the run, but a HIM is no joke, and it will exploit your weaknesses without mercy unless you compensate for them early on. The fact that you have asked about this shows that you have taken the first step in being honest with yourself...the really hard part is executing the race accordingly. We all have egos...

Hey Mike, I did a half last year undertrained in general but especially undertrained on the run. Jason is spot on, as usual. You can't cram the run training, and I think it would be better to add a 2 or 3 mile run during the week than to try to add a couple of miles to your long run. For my race, I was realistic about what I could do. I rode conservatively like Jason said, and even though I walked maybe 10-20% of the run and ran slower than usual when I was running, I wouldn't describe it as a "death march" like some people do. It was more like a nice jog/walk on a pleasant Sunday with a bunch of friends. I ended up finishing in a better time than I expected, and was even able to finish with a little bit of a sprint. And yes, check your ego at the starting line

2013-05-24 10:42 AM
in reply to: BigAirT

User image

Regular
Chicago

Originally posted by BigAirT Had my first official OWS last night, went over 2 min faster than I ever have in the pool! I felt better afterward as well! Ok now I'm excited for Kansas!

Awesome! Our beaches opened today and I was so looking forward to getting in a swim today (early leave from work) but we had a turn in our weather and so there is a swim advisory from the waves and the water temp is only 51F! I like cold water but that is too cold.

Anyone racing this weekend? Good luck! If not, enjoy the long weekend and have a safe and relaxing Memorial Day!

2013-05-24 12:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Signed up for Timberman yesterday.  I guess I'm no longer just lurking here!  Surprised

We have a HM this weekend (Run to Remember in Boston).  I'll be "pace booty" and domestique for Kim and hope to pace her to sub-2hr (maybe around 1:50 - she's been running crazy well and I think she can hit that).  Should be fun!

Have a great weekend all!

Matt

ETA: after registering for Timberman, I went out today and did ~41miles and ~2,500 ft of climb.  I think that might need to be a regular thing for the next few months!

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2013-05-24 12:53 PM
2013-05-24 2:13 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Signed up for Timberman yesterday.  I guess I'm no longer just lurking here!  Surprised

We have a HM this weekend (Run to Remember in Boston).  I'll be "pace booty" and domestique for Kim and hope to pace her to sub-2hr (maybe around 1:50 - she's been running crazy well and I think she can hit that).  Should be fun!

Have a great weekend all!

Matt

ETA: after registering for Timberman, I went out today and did ~41miles and ~2,500 ft of climb.  I think that might need to be a regular thing for the next few months!

Congratulations! Is this your first HIM? Good luck to you and Kim!
2013-05-24 2:44 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
I know that the idea is that bad training conditions means that either 1) race day will look easy or 2) you'll be better prepared than other folks who didn't train in bad training conditions...but I'm having a hard time with OWS. I've been trying to take advantage of the OWS our tri club offers every week or two, but the current has been crazy insane. Instead of making me more comfortable with OWS (which is the point, for me), it's actually just making me more nervous...

I don't imagine there is a whole lot of advice other than "suck it up" but...any advice?
2013-05-25 8:45 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

This will, indeed, be my first HIM.  In fact, my two Oly's (June 30 and July 21) will be my first at that distance.  Sprints only, until now (2 last year and a bunch 20 years ago), so it'll be an interesting go!

Thanks for the well wishes for the run tomorrow.  They're forecasting snow in a neighboring state, although it'll be a balmy 39F with 20+mph winds here in Boston tomorrow.  Kim's wigging out a bit at the weather, but I told her she can draft off my substantially more "ample" frame in the wind.  Laughing

Also wanted to post up a pic of my new ride!  Should help with the run off the bike.  I've been riding it the last week and just absolutely LOVE this thing ('09 P2C and a bunch of nice wheels - bought from Brian Richards, SYR44 on BT, who did a great job finding just what I was looking for, as he just started a biz selling bikes).  Super excited and just want to ride my tail off!

Which, I think, I'm going to have to, given the races I just inked and my "experience" level.  Surprised

Matt

(bikes.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bikes.jpg (77KB - 13 downloads)
2013-05-25 9:46 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Did a 65 mile ride this morning....wind was pretty brutal (out of the north, which is abnormal....and means that the whole ride home is against the wind).  It was both mentally and physically challenging.  I think it was more mentally challenging than anything -- sometimes I have a hard time being mentally strong when I'm not racing.  It's something I know I need to work on.  

Followed it up with a 60 minute sports massage....just what I needed after a hard week

Nicole, hate it when the wind doesn't cooperate and is your face on the way back.  Great planning for the follow-up massage; I'll have to take note of that!  Do you find a big difference in delayed muscle soreness when you have a massage immediately following a ride like that?

2013-05-25 10:12 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Expert

Originally posted by enders_shadow I know that the idea is that bad training conditions means that either 1) race day will look easy or 2) you'll be better prepared than other folks who didn't train in bad training conditions...but I'm having a hard time with OWS. I've been trying to take advantage of the OWS our tri club offers every week or two, but the current has been crazy insane. Instead of making me more comfortable with OWS (which is the point, for me), it's actually just making me more nervous... I don't imagine there is a whole lot of advice other than "suck it up" but...any advice?

My advice? Suck it up. OK not really. Even though the current is tough and making you more nervous, I still think it's helpful to be out in the water. Think how easy it will be when you have a race in easier conditions.

Now as far as feeling comfortable in the water I'm not sure I can help much. The one and only natural ability I have for triathlon is I am completely at ease in the water. One thing I try to do race morning to calm my pre-race jitters is get in the water and completely submerge myself. Just go completely under, close my eyes, get in my own little world, and really relax. Maybe it's like going back to the womb or something, but whatever it is, I find it gets me completely calm. Maybe you could try something like that. Just get in the water, feel the water, be one with the water. Well that last bit is a little much, but I hope I am somewhat helpful.

Also, you've been doing a lot of good training in the pool, so that will help you as well.

2013-05-25 10:21 AM

User image

Expert

This will, indeed, be my first HIM.  In fact, my two Oly's (June 30 and July 21) will be my first at that distance.  Sprints only, until now (2 last year and a bunch 20 years ago), so it'll be an interesting go!

Thanks for the well wishes for the run tomorrow.  They're forecasting snow in a neighboring state, although it'll be a balmy 39F with 20+mph winds here in Boston tomorrow.  Kim's wigging out a bit at the weather, but I told her she can draft off my substantially more "ample" frame in the wind.  Laughing

Also wanted to post up a pic of my new ride!  Should help with the run off the bike.  I've been riding it the last week and just absolutely LOVE this thing ('09 P2C and a bunch of nice wheels - bought from Brian Richards, SYR44 on BT, who did a great job finding just what I was looking for, as he just started a biz selling bikes).  Super excited and just want to ride my tail off!

Which, I think, I'm going to have to, given the races I just inked and my "experience" level.  Surprised

Matt

Nice bike! Now, get out there and ride Riding more now will help both your ride and run at your HIM. Timberman was my first half, and it's a great race.

39 degrees is perfect run race temp, but that breeze is a bit much. Good luck and have fun!

2013-05-25 3:07 PM

User image

Andover, KS
Steve,

I also swears by my compression tights. I have full length leggings, but wish I had bought regular tights. The reason I didnt't--and maybe would regret if I had--is that most running tights end up being too long for me. But--placebo or not--my legs recover much more quickly with compression, in my experience.
2013-05-25 7:36 PM

User image

Expert

Matt

Great ride! Nothing like a nice bike to inspire the miles.

2013-05-25 8:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by TTom

Did a 65 mile ride this morning....wind was pretty brutal (out of the north, which is abnormal....and means that the whole ride home is against the wind).  It was both mentally and physically challenging.  I think it was more mentally challenging than anything -- sometimes I have a hard time being mentally strong when I'm not racing.  It's something I know I need to work on.  

Followed it up with a 60 minute sports massage....just what I needed after a hard week

Nicole, hate it when the wind doesn't cooperate and is your face on the way back.  Great planning for the follow-up massage; I'll have to take note of that!  Do you find a big difference in delayed muscle soreness when you have a massage immediately following a ride like that?

I do think the massage helps with muscle soreness and fatigue.  I try to do monthly massages and usually schedule them at the end of the weekend after my two long days (in fact, it just happens that I have one for tomorrow!).

I'm also going to try to schedule one for after Vineman.  A friend of mine just did IMTX last weekend and had a massage scheduled for the following day -- she said it hurt like hell during the massage, but that her legs felt surprisingly good in the following days, instead of trashed like she usually feels after races. 

2013-05-26 3:59 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

New user
So I have not posted in over a week after my race on the 18th due to my work and travel schedule. Looks like I will actually be in town for a few weeks and boy could my training schedule use it. Trying not to complain cause the job feeds my tri addiction but but some regular training time would do wonders for me. Anyway, got in a 32 mile ride this morning and it was great. Spending a few days on Jekyll Island with the family and it is great weather and location to catch up with family and unwind.

Congrats on all who raced recently. My race on the 18th went well. The weather was awful and the swim was cancelled due to lightning and wind. The bike and run were super wet but actually had my best splits in an Olympic but that could be due to not swimming. Anyway, given my recent schedule, I am pleased. I posted a race report with my results.

Now it is appx. 18 weeks of focus for my first HIM in Augusta!

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day and take a moment to think of all those that sacrifice for our country and give us the freedom to do the things we love.
2013-05-26 9:02 PM
in reply to: Gene67

User image

New user

Got in a 35.4 mile ride with a couple people from the local tri club. Longest distance yet. It wasn't too warm but a bit humid. At least the wind was on 10 mph vs the 15-20 it can be. We did some sprint intervals along the way. The hamstring did ok. It was just starting to act up towards the end so as soon as I got I home I stretch for awhile.
Did some work around the house and then a short swim practice at the local pool.

I think I have figured out part of my problem with the swim. My left shoulder/arm is much weaker than might right and I can't seem to get it in the same position during the pull as my right hand/arm. (This is mainly due to bursitis in my left shoulder last summer and so I had to lay off of it. This is also the reason i try not to swim 2 days in a row.) Any good strength exercises for swimming so maybe I can build the area back up? I can already feel it nagging at me this evening. (I also shot archery competively in college and I shot left handed so that whole rotator cuff has some miles on it. But there is no tear according to the MRI last summer,.)
2013-05-26 10:14 PM
in reply to: Philothea0806

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Looks like 35.4 was the distance to go today as that's what I ended up doing as well.  I was riding with a friend of mine who is a really good cyclist and knows a lot of good routes to ride  Today he decided would be a hill day so the ride included an 8 mile stretch with a 2200' climb.  THAT was a solid workout as it was an unending 45 minute grind from bottom to top, and I was very pleased to see my biking fitness has really come along and I was not completely toasted upon reaching the summit. The downhill was exhilarating with a great smooth surface and turn after turn.  I'm still gaining confidence on the downhill, but was able to average 31 mph over the 14 minute run. 

I've only been riding for about a year now and have gone from just getting the rides done to really anticipating them and welcoming the challenging ones like today's.  Now if I could only do that in the swim . . .

2013-05-27 5:53 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Originally posted by TTom

Nicole, hate it when the wind doesn't cooperate and is your face on the way back. 

Hey Everyone! Back from my road trip to Syracuse and really in a state of indecision. Ran a loop of the run course and left feeling confident I could make it work. Just some tweeks to my training to better prep for one of the hills but the following day (yesterday) I rode the bike course and now I just don't know!

Like Nicole I had non-stop headwinds and what was more frustrating - because I can ride in a headwind - was these gusts that would rise up and surprise you and just push you all over the road. I ended up braking quite a bit on the downhills and felt I never got ANY speed going. By the end of the ride I was so tired. I basically white knuckled my handlebars such that I had such burning pain in my shoulders. I need a massage too!

I dropped my chain twice on the "rolling" hills section. My ride took me 4:21 to complete and I was DONE by the end. The thought of running a half was out of the question.

So ya... I'm back to wondering if I'm in good enough shape to do this race. I had to postpone the start of my training as we took up skiing this past winter and I feel I've been rushing to get my volumes up - now I have 2 weeks before the taper begins to figure out how to train for long hilly climbs... in Toronto...! My hopes of beating my Muskoka time are crushed. My new goal would be to finish without it being a death March.

Now maybe it's not always so windy there (though the Saturday was even worse) ?
Anyone have any ideas as to how to structure my bike training over the next 4 weeks if I were to proceed? I'm thinking of forgoing any recovery until the taper period and should I just do hilly country rides (which aren't even really comparable) or hill repeats on a big hill.?

Any advice would be appreciated!
2013-05-27 9:48 AM
in reply to: kimmax

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
I just finished the BolderBoulder 10K. Unofficial Garmin time is 58:13. That's about 7 minutes faster than my time from last year. I think I missed my best 10k time by about 35 seconds but feel really good about today.

2013-05-27 9:58 AM

User image

I hope everyone's training is going well. I'm in the final wind down before my HIM on Saturday. Just a few short workouts and a test ride on my bike with the race setup. I'm also playing in a company golf tournament this afternoon which should be fun. I was a pretty avid golfer before my triathlon days, but I realized that golf is so much more fun when you don't take it that seriously.
2013-05-27 12:27 PM
in reply to: kimmax

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by kimmax ]...I'm back to wondering if I'm in good enough shape to do this race. I had to postpone the start of my training as we took up skiing this past winter and I feel I've been rushing to get my volumes up - now I have 2 weeks before the taper begins to figure out how to train for long hilly climbs... in Toronto...! My hopes of beating my Muskoka time are crushed. My new goal would be to finish without it being a death March. Now maybe it's not always so windy there (though the Saturday was even worse) ? Anyone have any ideas as to how to structure my bike training over the next 4 weeks if I were to proceed? I'm thinking of forgoing any recovery until the taper period and should I just do hilly country rides (which aren't even really comparable) or hill repeats on a big hill.? Any advice would be appreciated!
I don't really have any advice regarding your specific questions, but just wanted to offer support.  Sorry your ride didn't go well, but try to stay positive.  4 weeks is a long time, for both training and for the wind situation to change dramatically.  Hopefully others can offer some constructive answers to your questions.
2013-05-27 2:16 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
First day of HIM training started today! I am a little upset because I was supposed to do a swim and bike today (swim AM & Bike PM) but I was not able to get over to the gym and sign up to be able to use the pool. I do not like starting things half way but sometimes things are out of my control. I am excited to work with my coach and he just registered me on training peaks which is a really cool site. My new GPS watch (Timex Global Trainer) and training peaks make for some interesting workouts and I am excited to have a specific plan written just for me! I was able to get my bike in this morning and it went well. I did single leg isolation drills with some other intervals mixed in and it definitely beat me up good. Tomorrow I have a tempo run scheduled and then I am off to the city to get my engagement pictures taken (praying for good weather).
2013-05-27 2:32 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20First day of HIM training started today! I am a little upset because I was supposed to do a swim and bike today (swim AM & Bike PM) but I was not able to get over to the gym and sign up to be able to use the pool. I do not like starting things half way but sometimes things are out of my control. I am excited to work with my coach and he just registered me on training peaks which is a really cool site. My new GPS watch (Timex Global Trainer) and training peaks make for some interesting workouts and I am excited to have a specific plan written just for me! I was able to get my bike in this morning and it went well. I did single leg isolation drills with some other intervals mixed in and it definitely beat me up good. Tomorrow I have a tempo run scheduled and then I am off to the city to get my engagement pictures taken (praying for good weather).
Congratulations on starting your training! Hope you feel the same sense of excitement around week 15
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 51