BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-02-01 12:40 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Mel- Scotland is on my list of places to visit!  How fun for you to visit your family roots.

Mary - Congrats on the move and all the other fun you're having.

Justin - I am not a Pats fan - Dolphin person here, but I'm happy for you!  Have a great time Sunday.

2017-02-01 12:41 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TXTriRook That sucks about the swim lanes and Sean, unreal someone would break in at a race! I've got some good news to share, I'm heading to the Superbowl! I've been a Pats fan for as long as I can remember so I figure since it's driving distance from Dallas and I was able to snag some free tix, I can't miss it. Any other Pats fans / anyone else going this weekend?

Jim and Sean - buckets full of suck.  Identity theft can be hugely destructive - good thing you were on top of it and caught it! 

Scotland sounds awesome!  Can't wait to take that same trip (mom was a MacDonald, clan Ranold).

As for Pats, I'm a Masshole through and through.  Looked at tix this morning to see if maybe I'd go with my oldest (who is also a Pats fan), but the tix were a bit, shall we say, spendy. 

We'll be watching on a new, big TV on Sunday (which cost less than a single ticket, and the beer will be cheaper, too, I'm sure). 

2017-02-01 1:04 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Jet Black Dave you are nicer than I. My rant today is theives. After my race on Sunday I went back to my truck and it looked like someone had jimmied the key hole trying to get into my truck. Everything of value was still inside, but I noticed that all of my credit cards were right side up inside my wallet. I always put them in upside down to protect the magnetic strip. I was pretty sure that someone had stolen my CC info. I paid close attention to all of my accounts, and sure enough, yesterday evening all of the cards started getting hit with fraudulent charges. If you think about it, it's a perfect setup for thieves. All racers are leaving their valuables in their vehicles for the race and then no one will be in the parking lot during the race for the most part. I've notified the race and asked them to consider a police officer or security guard to monitor the parking lot in the future. Also, I shouldn't have left my wallet in plain sight, I'm sure they wouldn't have spent the time to break into my truck and dig around for stuff if it hadn't been in plain sight. I'm sure they were moving fast.

Great that you are organized enough to notice. This sucks, a lot!

2017-02-01 1:06 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by melbo55

I also have an announcement - I and my sister and two friends are going to Scotland in September, a few days after LP 70.3!  I am beyond excited!

I loved Scotland, you will, too!

2017-02-01 1:09 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by TXTriRook That sucks about the swim lanes and Sean, unreal someone would break in at a race! I've got some good news to share, I'm heading to the Superbowl! I've been a Pats fan for as long as I can remember so I figure since it's driving distance from Dallas and I was able to snag some free tix, I can't miss it. Any other Pats fans / anyone else going this weekend?

Wow! How cool to be able to be there, no matter that you are a fan of the wrong team

2017-02-01 1:10 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by marysia83 This is my sort of proof of life. Sorry for not being too active. 2017 started with tons of stuff. Thankfully, everything's going the right direction - it is just time consuming and intense. I believe I mentioned that my kids and I moved outside of Chicago just before the New Year. It was a great decision for my family, but you know - packing, moving, unpacking... blah... I still have stuff unpacked. New year started right away with classes and this semester my classes were full of reading and writing (Adam: I'm taking methods in psychology, so I may be contacting you so far feels much better than stats............) In addition to that my son has tons of trouble with school. His teacher apparently ignored his IEP plan and decided to simply fail him on almost every subject (the kid is only 3rd grade!!!) Long story short, after fighting with the extravaganza of the public school system, I decided to transfer my kids to our new school (I was planning to transfer them at the beginning of the new year, to avoid some stress, but apparently they will benefit much more if they go asap). So here I am - juggling between work, school, and all the paperwork for the transfer. And trying to fit my marathon training (it is NOT going well...) Anyways... I decided I need to relax, step back for a moment, because I will go nuts. I will do my best to visit this group more often, to seek some asylum until things get settled And to see how everyone is doing Off to a new month!

That is a lot on your plate. I hope it evens out soon!

2017-02-01 1:18 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by Jet Black Dave you are nicer than I. My rant today is theives. After my race on Sunday I went back to my truck and it looked like someone had jimmied the key hole trying to get into my truck. Everything of value was still inside, but I noticed that all of my credit cards were right side up inside my wallet. I always put them in upside down to protect the magnetic strip. I was pretty sure that someone had stolen my CC info. I paid close attention to all of my accounts, and sure enough, yesterday evening all of the cards started getting hit with fraudulent charges. If you think about it, it's a perfect setup for thieves. All racers are leaving their valuables in their vehicles for the race and then no one will be in the parking lot during the race for the most part. I've notified the race and asked them to consider a police officer or security guard to monitor the parking lot in the future. Also, I shouldn't have left my wallet in plain sight, I'm sure they wouldn't have spent the time to break into my truck and dig around for stuff if it hadn't been in plain sight. I'm sure they were moving fast.

That's a good point. I probably wouldn't even notice...
2017-02-01 1:22 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by marysia83
Oh no, I am so sorry! I hope you were able to contact CC companies and it will not hit you with any charges, nor identity issues? I would contact credit reporting agencies, just in case.... I agree that parking lots are like heaven for thieves...

Wow that sux. I'm always nervous about leaving my stuff in the car for a race or even a workout.  I know those are prime locations for car thieves.  If I don't plan to go anywhere else I'll sometimes take just my license and maybe one debit card that I can keep with me. More often then not, though, I'm running errands afterwards so I hide my wallet under a seat. If I'm at the gym I take it in. My gym has the cubicles out in the open which has it's pro's and con's.

I'm usually the same. I guess I just got caught up in pre-race nerves or something. It probably was because I was having issues with my technology and was scrambling before transition closed. My garmin 520 was mysteriously dead when I turned it on in transition (it was 80% the night before, I might have left it on?), and then I couldn't get my new quarq to sync with my 920xt.
2017-02-01 1:25 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by ceilidh

That's a good point. I probably wouldn't even notice...

Unfortunately I noticed because my previous truck was broken into 3 different times the same way. Looks like they hammer a flat head screwdriver into the key hole, then twist to unlock the door. This time the lock wasn't completely destroyed, but it was obviously messed with. And the other reason I noticed is because I only took the ignition key with me during the race and had to unlock the door manually instead of with the remote.
2017-02-01 1:37 PM

User image

Master

Ugh, stolen CC information.  Good that you were on it quickly Sean!

Melanie, so great you are going to Scotland!  Like others, it's on my list.

Mary, that is a lot to be dealing with!  Interesting that you consider us an asylum :D  Hope we are helpful!

Justin - Not a Pats fan either, but would go if I got free tickets!  Have a blast!

Stacey congrats to you, mom and K for your consistency!  It's amazing how lots of easy running translate to increased in pace!

TJ congrats on jumping in!

Jim no way would I have waited either.  I wait until they reach the end, let them know I am getting in and ask if they would like to share or circle.  I expect others to do the same if I am in the lane first.

I just received news that I have been accepted into a volunteer position with the Victims Assistance Unit of a local police department.  40 page application, interview, fingerprinting and 10 references, so I am happy I made the cut! 

2017-02-01 1:52 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by IronOx

Mary, that is a lot to be dealing with!  Interesting that you consider us an asylum :D  Hope we are helpful!

Justin - Not a Pats fan either, but would go if I got free tickets!  Have a blast!

Stacey congrats to you, mom and K for your consistency!  It's amazing how lots of easy running translate to increased in pace!

Jim no way would I have waited either.  I wait until they reach the end, let them know I am getting in and ask if they would like to share or circle.  I expect others to do the same if I am in the lane first.

I just received news that I have been accepted into a volunteer position with the Victims Assistance Unit of a local police department.  40 page application, interview, fingerprinting and 10 references, so I am happy I made the cut! 

That is fantastic!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

2017-02-01 2:50 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

WOW That is a lot of vetting. Congratulations. That is going to be heart wrenching, but Oh So needed! Good for you.

2017-02-01 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Passing the extreme vetting!  Congrats and hope it's a great position for you.

Matt

2017-02-01 5:53 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Matt

haha!

Congrats Kirsten! Victim Advocates serve a really important function, thanks for volunteering.

2017-02-01 6:25 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jet Black

Oh no, I am so sorry! I hope you were able to contact CC companies and it will not hit you with any charges, nor identity issues? I would contact credit reporting agencies, just in case.... I agree that parking lots are like heaven for thieves...

Wow that sux. I'm always nervous about leaving my stuff in the car for a race or even a workout.  I know those are prime locations for car thieves.  If I don't plan to go anywhere else I'll sometimes take just my license and maybe one debit card that I can keep with me. More often then not, though, I'm running errands afterwards so I hide my wallet under a seat. If I'm at the gym I take it in. My gym has the cubicles out in the open which has it's pro's and con's.

I'm usually the same. I guess I just got caught up in pre-race nerves or something. It probably was because I was having issues with my technology and was scrambling before transition closed. My garmin 520 was mysteriously dead when I turned it on in transition (it was 80% the night before, I might have left it on?), and then I couldn't get my new quarq to sync with my 920xt.

Sorry to see that happen! Had someone nab info from one of my to kick off the year (January's really suck for me lately). First learned of it when at the DMV for license renewal.  Thankfully the card company had caught on and denied most all the charges. I only had to point out one more. It likely came from a breach in SwimOutlet a little while ago, they had sent an apology letter. All the more reason I should keep away from swimming, right?

Then for the watch, my Garmin 210 could sometimes turn on if left in a backpack. Seems easy to bump it. I didn't have a great fix for it. Mostly try to charge it fully right up until packing it up. Then placing it real careful in the bag since I pack most things the night before. So long as it didn't turn on overnight things were fine in the morning as the charge would last plenty long by then.

2017-02-01 9:56 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Matt

haha!

Congrats Kirsten! Victim Advocates serve a really important function, thanks for volunteering.

Well Done Kristen

2017-02-01 10:01 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Jet Black

Sorry to see that happen! Had someone nab info from one of my to kick off the year (January's really suck for me lately). First learned of it when at the DMV for license renewal.  Thankfully the card company had caught on and denied most all the charges. I only had to point out one more. It likely came from a breach in SwimOutlet a little while ago, they had sent an apology letter. All the more reason I should keep away from swimming, right?

Then for the watch, my Garmin 210 could sometimes turn on if left in a backpack. Seems easy to bump it. I didn't have a great fix for it. Mostly try to charge it fully right up until packing it up. Then placing it real careful in the bag since I pack most things the night before. So long as it didn't turn on overnight things were fine in the morning as the charge would last plenty long by then.

Dont either of these Garmin devices have a locking mechanism on them? My 735 does - you hold down one key and it gives you the option of locking the watch. Its really quick and easy to both lock it and unlock it. I would have thought that both of these devices would have something similar.
2017-02-01 10:51 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Proof of life here! Just too busy a schedule and too tired to post much. The training camp has been great, but have been struggling with some minor stuff that's affected my energy levels--two day of PMS from hell (sorry, TMI) that had me pretty much sleeping whenever I wasn't training, and apparently I am allergic to something in southern Thailand which is making my lungs periodically unhappy. Not quite sure what it is, but think it is under control as long as I stay off the main road here--maybe a combo of dust from dry season and construction, plus some kind of plant that, fortunately, doesn't seem to grow everywhere on the routes. Ugh. It's like having my own personal high-altitude mask. Have dealt with this all my life so nothing new--every time I switch locations, I seem to find a new asthma trigger. Exploring the world, one allergen at a time!

I've been a bit out of my depth on group rides. They are a lot faster than I would otherwise go. I can hold my own as long as we go a steady pace; I'm a good climber so okay on the hills, but the minute any kind of pickup starts on the flats, I am gone off the back. It's like everyone's airplane took off and I am stuck taxiing on the runway. Doesn't help that I am not riding my racing bike, but not deluding myself that it would make that much difference! We did this ride today that was 67 km total , much of it hilly with two 7 km fast stretches called "Terminators". On the last one, I could not even keep the back of the group in sight! Two or three of the ten riders were pros; one was a woman about half my age who claims she's only been riding for five weeks--apparently one week of training for her is worth one year of mine. Kind of demoralized!

On the plus side, the food is great, the pool is beautiful, and they have a really good PT who seems to be getting my lower back and hamstrings back together after the mess they got into with the long flights over winter break.
2017-02-02 6:18 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Some great and not so great stuff in here!

Sean - I hope your CC issue doesn't become a CC battle for you. It might be beneficial to close stuff up and open new. It can be a hassle, but proactivity wins. And one of those credit watch programs might not be a bad idea either (says the guy who has been down this road 2 or 3 times now).

Mary - Good to see from you, I hope that you aren't too busy to take care of yourself every now and then.

Kirsten - Congrats on the vetting, that is pretty cool!

Melanie - Enjoy the trip, that is one of the ones on my list too.

Stacey - I'm not sure if I told you this earlier, but the entire running journey that your turtle team is on is really cool. Congratulations on helping others find something in running for themselves.

James - I would have climbed in, swam over and asked to share a lane. I've done it more than once and most people are pretty good about it. On the flip side, I always offer to share my lane with others when it is full, hopefully people will learn that it is OK to share. I took the lessons of kindergarden to heart, good manners, sharing, being kind, etc.

Justin - Enjoy the game. TW and I were talking about that yesterday. There are very few large scale sporting events we'd like to attend, but that is one of them. More for the surrounding atmosphere than the game itself.

Karen - Keep in mind you were cycling with some pros. I'm pretty sure that most of us regular folks would have been dropped! I hope you are feeling better soon.

TJ - I hope your training for IMChoo goes well and your race goes even better.

Have a great day everyone, enjoy whatever today brings you.

PS, Janyne, I hope you are feeling better.

2017-02-02 11:52 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK For those of you that are interested I wanted to update you on how the January "Turtle Challenge" went. For those that don't know what I'm talking about my mum, my myself, and my friend K were lacking a bit of motivation to run through November and December last year and we were supposed to be gearing up to start training for the 2018 Disney Dopey Challenge. So to get us motivated I worked out the entire years training plan and wrote it out on a wall planner for each of us. The challenge was then set that the person who dropped the most number of training days between 26/12/2016 and 31/01/2017 had to buy the other two a $100 gift voucher each at the store of there choice. (There were some rules around being sick and being allowed to rearrange a week but won't go into them). Well today the challenge ended and we all completed 100% of the required training within the rules, which means we all ran (or walked if injury was involved) 27 out of the last 37 days. We have all been running mostly easy and sure the distances haven't been huge (nothing over 7k) but they have been what's required to get us from where we are through to finishing Dopey. All of us have seen fairly considerable improvement in our average times, dropping between 30seconds and a minute off our average pace per km. Anyway I wanted to let you know how the people that you are helping through the information and encouragement you are giving me are going. We haven't worked out what the payout will be for the February challenge, but regardless it starts tomorrow.

It's so awesome to hear that all of your were motivated :-)  The improvements are great to see as well!  Best of all, it sounds like you are all having fun with it and that's what it's about for most of us!

2017-02-02 11:54 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by jmkizer

2017 Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga presented by: McKee A Family Bakery

Congratulations! You are now registered for the 2017 Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga presented by: McKee A Family Bakery. Please check the event's official website for updates: ironman.com/chattanooga

Race Date: September 24, 2017

Woo hoo!

It's real now. 

No kidding, you hit that final button and it's like, "OMG! WHAT HAVE I DONE!"

2017-02-02 11:56 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner You are a far nicer person than I will ever be. Faced with that situation, I have basically jumped in and said, "We're splitting the lane, okay?" If not okay, I go get the lifeguard. Although this usually doesn't happen because in Saigon, I often have the pool to myself. Home in the US, the situation is generally solved by sending the serious swimmers outside in all weather, reserving the indoor facility for pool walkers, rehab, and the like. Occasionally the outdoor pool closes early or opens late--then the people inside are expected to share. There is a sign to that effect, although some do try to ignore it. If I have paid for entry or membership, and so has the walker, and we both have limited time to do our workouts, then certainly we can share a lane.

I'm with Karen.  That being said, I do find it difficult to ask.  :-/  

2017-02-02 11:58 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

That really sucks!!! Sometimes people really stink. 

Glad you noticed it all and got it taken care of that's a stress you definitely didn't need! 

Totally sucks :-(

2017-02-02 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

I also have an announcement - I and my sister and two friends are going to Scotland in September, a few days after LP 70.3!  I am beyond excited!

Woo hoo!

2017-02-02 12:07 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 This is my sort of proof of life. Sorry for not being too active. 2017 started with tons of stuff. Thankfully, everything's going the right direction - it is just time consuming and intense. I believe I mentioned that my kids and I moved outside of Chicago just before the New Year. It was a great decision for my family, but you know - packing, moving, unpacking... blah... I still have stuff unpacked. New year started right away with classes and this semester my classes were full of reading and writing (Adam: I'm taking methods in psychology, so I may be contacting you so far feels much better than stats............) In addition to that my son has tons of trouble with school. His teacher apparently ignored his IEP plan and decided to simply fail him on almost every subject (the kid is only 3rd grade!!!) Long story short, after fighting with the extravaganza of the public school system, I decided to transfer my kids to our new school (I was planning to transfer them at the beginning of the new year, to avoid some stress, but apparently they will benefit much more if they go asap). So here I am - juggling between work, school, and all the paperwork for the transfer. And trying to fit my marathon training (it is NOT going well...) Anyways... I decided I need to relax, step back for a moment, because I will go nuts. I will do my best to visit this group more often, to seek some asylum until things get settled And to see how everyone is doing Off to a new month!

Congrats again on the move.  I'm sure that in the long run, it will be for the best.  Getting from here there though...

Regarding your son's teacher -- not cool!

It's kinda fun that the Manatees might be mentoring in something other than tri -- well, at least one Manatee.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102