BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2013-05-27 2:33 PM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group
Originally posted by stevesflyshopI just finished the BolderBoulder 10K. Unofficial Garmin time is 58:13. That's about 7 minutes faster than my time from last year. I think I missed my best 10k time by about 35 seconds but feel really good about today.
Congratulations !

2013-05-27 2:39 PM
in reply to: kimmax

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by kimmax
Originally posted by TTom
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Did a 65 mile ride this morning....wind was pretty brutal (out of the north, which is abnormal....and means that the whole ride home is against the wind).  It was both mentally and physically challenging.  I think it was more mentally challenging than anything -- sometimes I have a hard time being mentally strong when I'm not racing.  It's something I know I need to work on.  

Followed it up with a 60 minute sports massage....just what I needed after a hard week

Nicole, hate it when the wind doesn't cooperate and is your face on the way back. 
Hey Everyone! Back from my road trip to Syracuse and really in a state of indecision. Ran a loop of the run course and left feeling confident I could make it work. Just some tweeks to my training to better prep for one of the hills but the following day (yesterday) I rode the bike course and now I just don't know!Like Nicole I had non-stop headwinds and what was more frustrating - because I can ride in a headwind - was these gusts that would rise up and surprise you and just push you all over the road. I ended up braking quite a bit on the downhills and felt I never got ANY speed going. By the end of the ride I was so tired. I basically white knuckled my handlebars such that I had such burning pain in my shoulders. I need a massage too!I dropped my chain twice on the "rolling" hills section. My ride took me 4:21 to complete and I was DONE by the end. The thought of running a half was out of the question.So ya... I'm back to wondering if I'm in good enough shape to do this race. I had to postpone the start of my training as we took up skiing this past winter and I feel I've been rushing to get my volumes up - now I have 2 weeks before the taper begins to figure out how to train for long hilly climbs... in Toronto...! My hopes of beating my Muskoka time are crushed. My new goal would be to finish without it being a death March. Now maybe it's not always so windy there (though the Saturday was even worse) ? Anyone have any ideas as to how to structure my bike training over the next 4 weeks if I were to proceed? I'm thinking of forgoing any recovery until the taper period and should I just do hilly country rides (which aren't even really comparable) or hill repeats on a big hill.?Any advice would be appreciated!
Can't help you too much about hill training - I'm in Florida afterall , but believe that area of the country was having a storm pass through ( some places even got snow), so that probably accounts for the wind. Maybe do a search for race reports from last year's race and see what others said about the weather. Obviously, that is no guarantee of what your race day will bring, but may offer some insight.
2013-05-27 5:50 PM
in reply to: Philothea0806

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED!

Originally posted by Philothea0806 Got in a 35.4 mile ride with a couple people from the local tri club. Longest distance yet. It wasn't too warm but a bit humid. At least the wind was on 10 mph vs the 15-20 it can be. We did some sprint intervals along the way. The hamstring did ok. It was just starting to act up towards the end so as soon as I got I home I stretch for awhile. Did some work around the house and then a short swim practice at the local pool. I think I have figured out part of my problem with the swim. My left shoulder/arm is much weaker than might right and I can't seem to get it in the same position during the pull as my right hand/arm. (This is mainly due to bursitis in my left shoulder last summer and so I had to lay off of it. This is also the reason i try not to swim 2 days in a row.) Any good strength exercises for swimming so maybe I can build the area back up? I can already feel it nagging at me this evening. (I also shot archery competively in college and I shot left handed so that whole rotator cuff has some miles on it. But there is no tear according to the MRI last summer,.)

single arm drills?

2013-05-27 7:01 PM
in reply to: kimmax

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by kimmax

Did a 65 mile ride this morning....wind was pretty brutal (out of the north, which is abnormal....and means that the whole ride home is against the wind).  It was both mentally and physically challenging.  I think it was more mentally challenging than anything -- sometimes I have a hard time being mentally strong when I'm not racing.  It's something I know I need to work on.  

Followed it up with a 60 minute sports massage....just what I needed after a hard week

Nicole, hate it when the wind doesn't cooperate and is your face on the way back. 
Hey Everyone! Back from my road trip to Syracuse and really in a state of indecision. Ran a loop of the run course and left feeling confident I could make it work. Just some tweeks to my training to better prep for one of the hills but the following day (yesterday) I rode the bike course and now I just don't know! Like Nicole I had non-stop headwinds and what was more frustrating - because I can ride in a headwind - was these gusts that would rise up and surprise you and just push you all over the road. I ended up braking quite a bit on the downhills and felt I never got ANY speed going. By the end of the ride I was so tired. I basically white knuckled my handlebars such that I had such burning pain in my shoulders. I need a massage too! I dropped my chain twice on the "rolling" hills section. My ride took me 4:21 to complete and I was DONE by the end. The thought of running a half was out of the question. So ya... I'm back to wondering if I'm in good enough shape to do this race. I had to postpone the start of my training as we took up skiing this past winter and I feel I've been rushing to get my volumes up - now I have 2 weeks before the taper begins to figure out how to train for long hilly climbs... in Toronto...! My hopes of beating my Muskoka time are crushed. My new goal would be to finish without it being a death March. Now maybe it's not always so windy there (though the Saturday was even worse) ? Anyone have any ideas as to how to structure my bike training over the next 4 weeks if I were to proceed? I'm thinking of forgoing any recovery until the taper period and should I just do hilly country rides (which aren't even really comparable) or hill repeats on a big hill.? Any advice would be appreciated!

I've never done a HIM myself, so take this for what it's worth....

But remember that right now, you're working with some accumulated fatigue from a few months of solid training.  You did a loop of the HIM run course one day and were feeling good....you followed it up with the entire HIM bike course the following day (on tired legs!!).  When you actually go into your race, you'll have a week (or two) of taper to really recover, thus you end up racing on pretty recovered muscles, so you'll be feeling better.  Plus, the adrenalin and environment of a big race will kick in and you'll be likely to feel better.

As for structuring your bike training, I see you do trainer rides.  What kind of trainer rides are you doing?  Do you use TrainerRoad?  If not, I'd suggest checking it out and picking out some good rides (think shorter intervals above your FTP to simulate / build muscles for hill climbing, and longer intervals at/near your FTP to simulate long rides at a constant pace).

Keep at it -- I'm sure you'll be able to finish the race, and I think you might surprise yourself on your performance coming off strong training and a good taper. 

2013-05-27 7:11 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Question for the group about hydration:

I know I've read it somewhere, but I seem to be having issues searching and finding the answers I'm looking for (maybe due to dehydration ).  What is an acceptable weight loss over a workout?  

Yesterday, I did a 65 mile ride (3:30); I took in two 16oz bottles of Skratch and one 24oz bottle of water.  I weighed myself before the ride and after the ride -- I lost 3 pounds over the ride, which is about 2.5% of my body weight.

Today, I did a 38 mile ride (1:58); I again took in two 16oz bottles of Skratch and one 24oz bottle of water.  This time I lost about 2 pounds (1.7% of my body weight).  

For reference, the weather is 80-85F and somewhere in the 80% humidity.  I am a reasonably heavy sweater, but curious how much is too much.  Three pounds seemed like a lot....but taking in more fluids seems like it'd become excessive at some point (I feel like I'd get side stitches and have fluids sloshing around in my tummy if I were to run after and had drank too much).  

2013-05-28 8:24 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-05-28 8:26 AM
in reply to: BigAirT

2013-05-28 8:26 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

2013-05-28 8:28 AM

2013-05-28 9:05 AM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20First day of HIM training started today! I am a little upset because I was supposed to do a swim and bike today (swim AM & Bike PM) but I was not able to get over to the gym and sign up to be able to use the pool. I do not like starting things half way but sometimes things are out of my control. I am excited to work with my coach and he just registered me on training peaks which is a really cool site. My new GPS watch (Timex Global Trainer) and training peaks make for some interesting workouts and I am excited to have a specific plan written just for me! I was able to get my bike in this morning and it went well. I did single leg isolation drills with some other intervals mixed in and it definitely beat me up good. Tomorrow I have a tempo run scheduled and then I am off to the city to get my engagement pictures taken (praying for good weather).
Congratulations on starting your training! Hope you feel the same sense of excitement around week 15

I hope so too...lol
2013-05-28 9:09 AM

Master
Crab Cake City

I know I've read it somewhere, but I seem to be having issues searching and finding the answers I'm looking for (maybe due to dehydration ).  What is an acceptable weight loss over a workout?  

Yesterday, I did a 65 mile ride (3:30); I took in two 16oz bottles of Skratch and one 24oz bottle of water.  I weighed myself before the ride and after the ride -- I lost 3 pounds over the ride, which is about 2.5% of my body weight.

Today, I did a 38 mile ride (1:58); I again took in two 16oz bottles of Skratch and one 24oz bottle of water.  This time I lost about 2 pounds (1.7% of my body weight).  

For reference, the weather is 80-85F and somewhere in the 80% humidity.  I am a reasonably heavy sweater, but curious how much is too much.  Three pounds seemed like a lot....but taking in more fluids seems like it'd become excessive at some point (I feel like I'd get side stitches and have fluids sloshing around in my tummy if I were to run after and had drank too much).  

I am by no means an expert but I think you need to take in more water, especially since it is so hot outside. My rule of thumb is about 16-20oz of water per hour of riding. Over a 3:30 ride you only drank 24oz of water so I would say you were way low on water intake. I am not sure what "Skratch" is but I assume its nutrition drink? Try taking in a bottle of water per hour or 1:30 and see what that does. I am not sure but I assume the weight loss is water weight. How did you feel after the rides?

2013-05-28 9:19 AM

Regular
SF Bay area

I'm taking an extra rest day today.  The long ride last Thursday, the big hill climb on Sunday and a Pilates/Swim/Run yesterday followed by 3 hours in the kitchen preparing a family Memorial Day dinner have cumulatively taken their toll.  Feeling a distinct lack of energy and my MRH has jumped from mid 40's to 56 over the past few days.  Time to listen to the body.

I actually consider this an achievement, taking the extra rest day, as I've always been a slave to my training schedule.  It is hard for me to do, though, as I've always worried about falling behind, but I think I'm finally getting it.   I'm curious though, how do you know when it is time to catch your breath, and how easy is it for you to actuall pull the trigger on an extra rest day?

2013-05-28 9:35 AM

Regular
SF Bay area
Nicole, it does seem like you were a bit light on the hydration.  I, like you, don't like the sloshy feeling when drinking "too much", but what I've learned from riding with a more experienced rider is to drink more, but drink smaller amounts more frequently.  I typically wait until I'm thirsty or really dry, then it is 3-4 big gulps.  When I'm riding behind him, I see him taking in one or two sips but every 8-10 minutes.  You might want to try this to see if it increases your comfort level.
2013-05-28 9:35 AM
in reply to: TTom

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Had a good training weekend - 38 mile ride Saturday, 8 mile run Sunday, 41 mile ride Monday...I'm pretty confident that I can handle the bike & run legs of the HIM in September. Now I just need to get a grip on that swimmy swimmy thing. 101 days and counting.
2013-05-28 10:42 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

I am by no means an expert but I think you need to take in more water, especially since it is so hot outside. My rule of thumb is about 16-20oz of water per hour of riding. Over a 3:30 ride you only drank 24oz of water so I would say you were way low on water intake. I am not sure what "Skratch" is but I assume its nutrition drink? Try taking in a bottle of water per hour or 1:30 and see what that does. I am not sure but I assume the weight loss is water weight. How did you feel after the rides?

X2. I am also a heavy salty sweater & when doing a hot 3:30 hour ride, I easily put down 3 bottles of water and one of sports drink. As Fred mentioned, try increasing that amount a little bit. Now is the time to experiment!
2013-05-28 1:04 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

I definitely did not drink only 24oz of water -- I drank 56oz of water (plus two scoops of electrolyte powder mixed into two of the bottles)!  I would certainly agree that 24oz of fluids would be nowhere near enough.

Texas summer just came back about two weeks ago.  Up until then, we'd had an unseasonably cool, dry winter/spring....and now it's back to "normal".  So what was sufficient for the past four months no longer seems to be cutting it....unfortunately, that's about all the room I have on my bike, which means I'm now going to have to take convenience store locations into account on my rides. 

It shouldn't be a big deal to grab an extra bottle on the race course (that said, it will probably not be as hot/humid on race day), but it is mildly inconvenient to have to stop mid-ride to buy more fluids. 

As for how I felt after the rides, I felt pretty good.  Of course, I'm currently not running, so it's impossible to say how I'd feel if I were going to try to run 13.1 after!  Regardless, I'm going to try to increase both fluid and caloric intake on rides over the next month to see where I want to be for Vineman.  Thanks to everyone for the input!

2013-05-28 2:22 PM

Nicole,

Seems like Texas weather is about the same as here in Hawaii for the time being. We're in the mid 80's, but luckily we don't get much hotter than low 90's. Anyway, for a 3.5 hour ride, I'm probably in the range of 5 bottles of fluid at a minimum. Each bottle being 24 oz. Try experimenting with more fluid and see what happens.
2013-05-28 2:36 PM
in reply to: TTom

I'm taking an extra rest day today.  The long ride last Thursday, the big hill climb on Sunday and a Pilates/Swim/Run yesterday followed by 3 hours in the kitchen preparing a family Memorial Day dinner have cumulatively taken their toll.  Feeling a distinct lack of energy and my MRH has jumped from mid 40's to 56 over the past few days.  Time to listen to the body.

I actually consider this an achievement, taking the extra rest day, as I've always been a slave to my training schedule.  It is hard for me to do, though, as I've always worried about falling behind, but I think I'm finally getting it.   I'm curious though, how do you know when it is time to catch your breath, and how easy is it for you to actuall pull the trigger on an extra rest day?

My training schedule is pretty jam packed, but I tend to build my schedule in a way where I have a few "optional" workouts or workouts that I can turn to easy workouts.

I wouldn't worry about it too much in your case though. It seems to me that your fatigue is more related to non training activities rather than "over training." Skip a workout if you need to, then get back at it.
2013-05-28 3:52 PM
in reply to: tri808

2013-05-28 3:54 PM
in reply to: Fred D

2013-05-28 4:50 PM

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

I had my bike fit on Thursday, went pretty well I think (although really I have no basis for comparison and no knowledge sufficient enough to give me an informed opinion).  My previous long bike ride was about 30 miles.  Friday I went for a relaxed 37-ish miles, but it had some intermittent stops so it wasn't really a 37 mile ride.  But yesterday I went for a solid 46 miles.  The first 10 miles or so my sitbones were having trouble getting comfy, then either I got numb or hit the sweet spot because I felt great for awhile.  I wanted to push it hard and go 25 miles then turn around, but at about the 22 mile mark the road got pretty bad, so at mile 23 or so I turned around.  At which point I realized that the wind had been to my back nearly the entire time.  So going back was a lot rougher than the first half.  But the weather was cool, I needed very little nutrition and very little water.

Maybe at about mile 30-35 my sitbones started complaining so I noticed myself standing every couple miles or shifting around in the seat a bit.  And at about mile 40 or so I turned my head to look behind me and realized my neck was very stiff.  But no lingering issues, not stiff at all as I walked around when I finished nor this morning.

All in all happy with the experience and looking forward to spending more time in the saddle.  I assume it's a vicious circle such that with more time in the saddle more comfort will come.  11 weeks to go so I don't have that much time.  Swim and run are going according to plan but now that I've got all the pieces and the bike fit is done I don't really have any more excuses for the bike, have to get out there and get a ton more mileage.

2013-05-28 5:57 PM

Originally posted by Fred D

Hey Gang I was away in Pittsburgh last weekend.... but when I was gone my bike was getting fitted with a compact crank.

Went with Specialized S-works crank arms, Red rings 50/34.

This is my first ever compact crank (for the road bike) so I hope I can ride soon. I doubt I will be able to ride the tri bike for a number of weeks, but hopefully easy road biking for me

Interesting switch for you. Is it related to the injury as a temporary way for you to hills at lower power for the time being...or is this more of a permanent switch?
2013-05-29 7:31 AM
in reply to: tri808

Master
Just South of Boston
Question about race planning & training.

I have 4 races on the calendar for the summer -- June 15 HIM, June 30 Sprint, July 14 Oly, August 18 HIM. I'm nearing the first HIM, and am thinking in terms of getting ready for the second HIM, I'll likely take my training plan, go back 8 weeks from race day, and use that for HIM #2 in August (first week post HIM #1 would be recovery/slow ramp up) Along the way, the sprint & oly would be treated as training days/fun to-do races (local sprint & NYC Tri). Does this sound like reasonable approach? As my prior posts discussed, HIM #1 will be a 'just finish' event due to a lingering hammy issue which has impacted my run in a big way. Thoughts?
2013-05-29 11:00 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Mike,

That's how I would approach it, as well.  The only thing I might do is modify how many weeks of peak before the taper to the August HIM if you're trying to fit more or less training in (as in, one week of peak and one of taper, rather than 2 and 1, if you need another hard training week or an additional recovery/light week in the first 5-6 weeks of the 8 week block).

That, and maybe alter the length and/or intensity of some of the key workouts based on what you learn from the fun/test races.  Otherwise, I think that if the plan is working for you for the Patriot HIM, it should be easy to minimally morph it to what you need for the August race (Timberman, right?  See you there).

I'm doing a shorter version of the same thing.  Oly June 30 is at the end of a rest/test week at the end of a 4 week build, training through a July 14th on the way to a now B+/A- Oly on July 21st at the end of a 1 week build/1week volume heavy peak/1 week taper (demoted from my A race when I signed up for Timberman), then doing 2 weeks of build and one of peak, one of taper.  Kind of reprising the build from the June season, but with HIM distances for the 2 weeks after the Oly.  If that all makes sense... 

Good luck!

Matt

2013-05-29 11:20 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

Regular
Chicago

Originally posted by Mike_D Question about race planning & training. I have 4 races on the calendar for the summer -- June 15 HIM, June 30 Sprint, July 14 Oly, August 18 HIM. I'm nearing the first HIM, and am thinking in terms of getting ready for the second HIM, I'll likely take my training plan, go back 8 weeks from race day, and use that for HIM #2 in August (first week post HIM #1 would be recovery/slow ramp up) Along the way, the sprint & oly would be treated as training days/fun to-do races (local sprint & NYC Tri). Does this sound like reasonable approach? As my prior posts discussed, HIM #1 will be a 'just finish' event due to a lingering hammy issue which has impacted my run in a big way. Thoughts?

Mike, is HIM #2 also a "just fnish" event? If it is, then I think your plan of repeating those 8 week sof your training plan for HIM #2 is good. If not, another option (and I don't know if it's better, but just another option), would be to re-organize your training sked so it ends/peaks at HIM #2 and treat HIM #1, the sprint and the Oly as training/fun-to-do races.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 51