BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-11-08 10:40 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by rrrunner

Proof of life post...

Great stuff going on in here!

Congrats Hands for signing up for Choo and for opening your heart to a new puppy!!!

Stacey, trail running is awesome. I'm glad you found it. And I love all the puppy poundage (kiloage doesn't sound as catchy) at your house!

Kirsten, awesome that you signed up for Santa Rosa, and awesome that you did it to help the community.  I did a century there this summer and a friend of mine did IMSR this year. So sad that they were devastated by the fires.

I must admit that in the far back corner of my mind I am considering which IM's I would do... Choo... Santa Rosa... Florida looked interesting this year...

i vote for Choo! Or if not Choo Santa Rosa. Both will give you manatee meet ups! It’s funny, Florida would be the obvious choice for me, but somehow it hasn’t appealed, though I know tons of peop,e who love it!

2017-11-08 10:54 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

Proof of life post...

Congrats Hands for signing up for Choo and for opening your heart to a new puppy!!!

Stacey, trail running is awesome. I'm glad you found it. And I love all the puppy poundage (kiloage doesn't sound as catchy) at your house!

Kirsten, awesome that you signed up for Santa Rosa, and awesome that you did it to help the community.  I did a century there this summer and a friend of mine did IMSR this year. So sad that they were devastated by the fires.

I must admit that in the far back corner of my mind I am considering which IM's I would do... Choo... Santa Rosa... Florida looked interesting this year...

i vote for Choo! Or if not Choo Santa Rosa. Both will give you manatee meet ups! It’s funny, Florida would be the obvious choice for me, but somehow it hasn’t appealed, though I know tons of peop,e who love it!

It won't be next year. I need to be a bit less self absorbed for the next while to stay married

2017-11-08 11:03 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Proof of life post...

It won't be next year. I need to be a bit less self absorbed for the next while to stay married

oh, ok, I guess that’s an ok excuse 

2017-11-08 11:40 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by StaceyK Found an amazing single track trail near my hotel this morning. It was great had some really steep and rocky sections as well as a rock water crossing. When you look at the time it took to cover 4k it looks like I was out for a morning stroll, but it was really tough and coming up out of the gully I actually had to stop and sit down on the rock to get my breath back. I even drew blood. But I loved it and have been smiling about it all day. How did I not know how much fun trail running is?

Trail running and off road biking bring me back to childhood. Fun times. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

2017-11-08 1:00 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master

Just wanted to say thank you to all the pod members who serve/have served/are first responders.  A local police department constable was shot and killed on Monday protecting the public.  It is a hard reality that this sort of thing can happen here.  I mean, Vancouver is a big city, but this happened in Abbotsford, which is not.  It's hard to make any sense of it.  RIP Cst. John Davidson.

2017-11-09 3:07 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by IronOx

Just wanted to say thank you to all the pod members who serve/have served/are first responders.  A local police department constable was shot and killed on Monday protecting the public.  It is a hard reality that this sort of thing can happen here.  I mean, Vancouver is a big city, but this happened in Abbotsford, which is not.  It's hard to make any sense of it.  RIP Cst. John Davidson.

I am sorry. so senseless.

2017-11-09 3:29 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IronOx

This violence is so senseless!

2017-11-09 4:32 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Hello,
sorry for not posting much, and only coming when I need advice, but... i really need advise! And I promise, once the days become smoother I will be the one giving advices and offering as much support as I can handle on my tiny arms )))

This Sunday is my first marathon. There are plenty of things concerning: obviously, first time marathon anxiety, especially with not the best training, and the first race being in Madison, WI, which seems to be super hilly. My strategy/approach is to just walk up the hills, which would actually match almost perfectly the 4:1 run/walk ratio.

My bigger concern is the weather... It keeps changing, but right now it's showing rain. I am not afraid of cold weather, I like running in lower temperatures, but running for 5 hours in rain makes me want to cry... So I am starting to prepare mentally, but also wondering if anyone has tips for cold+rain long runs. I have run in the rain before. But it was probably something around 10-12 miles, and the temperature was around 70s. This time it will be between 35-40.

Should I just pack some rum?
2017-11-09 10:49 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Took mum to she the surgeon today because she has torn her medial meniscus, thank goodness it isn't really bad and as an added answer to prayer the surgeon is a runner so he gets it.

So day surgery on Monday to trim the tear, then 6-10 days rest after which she can start walking, slowly at first but then at pace and as far as she can manage. She can start running again after 6 weeks, so about a week and a half before Disney. He promised to have her sorted in time so that she will be able to finish Dopey.

One of the benefits of being hurt at work in Australia is that you get the treatment you need really quickly and at no cost.
2017-11-10 3:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would pack a warm layer which you can shed or tie around your waist if needed. I've only done one marathon where temps were low (for me, below 50 is COLD) for the entire thing, and in fact continued to drop during the race (high 30's at end). I made the big mistakes of 1. Assuming it would warm up as the day went on (it didn't) and 2. Assuming I would get warm as the race went on because I was running (I didn't). I was FREEZING for the entire 26.2 miles in my singlet and shorts, despite running hard for my fitness at the time. Low to mid 50's at 8 AM start; I had assumed that would rise to high 60's or even 70's by the time I finished (I think I ran 3:23?) but instead it clouded up and got cold and blustery. I spent the entire race hoping I would run past a friend who could lend me a shirt or jacket. For logistical reasons, I was never able to do that. (This was in Beijing, the entire route was blocked from fans and spectators by security officers standing with linked arms to form a human barrier. WTF?)

Ever since, if conditions are iffy, for a longer run or race I have started with a long-sleeved shirt over something like a camisole run or tri top. If it warms up, I can take the top off and either tie it around my waist or even discard (if race rules allow that) or hand off to friends or family on a multi-loop course (or drop at home or car on a training run). I suggest a long-sleeve tech tee. Depending on how cold it is, there are different levels of thickness or warmth you can choose. Legs don't tend to get as cold but with shorter running shorts that is a lot of exposed skin for 35-40 degrees. Some people are fine with it; I tend to cramp. For a race in those temps I would probably go with some warmer capris or tights.

Plus hands and head--you might feel warmer with a light running cap (I have some made of polypro rather than wool which work well for those temps) and light running gloves, even if you decide to go with shorts on the legs. Plenty of people race marathons that way--you won't look silly in a tech tee, shorts, gloves, and hat.

As for the rum....I don't recommend it. But for one very cold race (my first "HIM" attempt, where about half of the bike course was closed due to SNOW at high elevations and I switched from the tri to the du when water temps were in the 50's and air in the 40's), it hailed between 4 and 6 miles of the run. Some locals had created a "whiskey stop" and yes, I was one of many, many takers. Can't vouch that it really helped or hurt my performance, but when you have been riding and running through cold rain and then ice has been falling on your head for two miles, even a false, temporary sensation of warmth is welcome!

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-11-10 3:06 AM
2017-11-10 6:10 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by marysia83 Hello, sorry for not posting much, and only coming when I need advice, but... i really need advise! And I promise, once the days become smoother I will be the one giving advices and offering as much support as I can handle on my tiny arms ))) This Sunday is my first marathon. There are plenty of things concerning: obviously, first time marathon anxiety, especially with not the best training, and the first race being in Madison, WI, which seems to be super hilly. My strategy/approach is to just walk up the hills, which would actually match almost perfectly the 4:1 run/walk ratio. My bigger concern is the weather... It keeps changing, but right now it's showing rain. I am not afraid of cold weather, I like running in lower temperatures, but running for 5 hours in rain makes me want to cry... So I am starting to prepare mentally, but also wondering if anyone has tips for cold+rain long runs. I have run in the rain before. But it was probably something around 10-12 miles, and the temperature was around 70s. This time it will be between 35-40. Should I just pack some rum?

Here are some ideas:

Waterproof (if possible) hat with visor to keep rain off face. Put a beanie or headband under it for warmth. 

Sunglasses with clear or light tint to keep rain out of eyes. Only needed if it is going to be driving rain.

Lightweight waterproof shell -vest or jacket. This doesn't have to be run specific, bike gear works too.

Lightweight wicking apparel . Tighter clothes to help stop chafing.

Lube feet and other areas .

Keep in mind that I don't have to run in stuff like this, so just my thoughts!

2017-11-10 6:14 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Took mum to she the surgeon today because she has torn her medial meniscus, thank goodness it isn't really bad and as an added answer to prayer the surgeon is a runner so he gets it. So day surgery on Monday to trim the tear, then 6-10 days rest after which she can start walking, slowly at first but then at pace and as far as she can manage. She can start running again after 6 weeks, so about a week and a half before Disney. He promised to have her sorted in time so that she will be able to finish Dopey. One of the benefits of being hurt at work in Australia is that you get the treatment you need really quickly and at no cost.

Sorry for your mother's injury, but it sounds like she has gotten the best care possible and will be back on the road soon.  I'm a little surprised that the surgeon thinks she will be able to complete dopey after not running for 6 weeks, but i'm an attorney not a doctor, so what do i know!

Sounds like Australia has good worker's compensation laws!

2017-11-10 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 Hello, sorry for not posting much, and only coming when I need advice, but... i really need advise! And I promise, once the days become smoother I will be the one giving advices and offering as much support as I can handle on my tiny arms ))) This Sunday is my first marathon. There are plenty of things concerning: obviously, first time marathon anxiety, especially with not the best training, and the first race being in Madison, WI, which seems to be super hilly. My strategy/approach is to just walk up the hills, which would actually match almost perfectly the 4:1 run/walk ratio. My bigger concern is the weather... It keeps changing, but right now it's showing rain. I am not afraid of cold weather, I like running in lower temperatures, but running for 5 hours in rain makes me want to cry... So I am starting to prepare mentally, but also wondering if anyone has tips for cold+rain long runs. I have run in the rain before. But it was probably something around 10-12 miles, and the temperature was around 70s. This time it will be between 35-40. Should I just pack some rum?

I just chacked AccuWeather and this is what I saw for this Sunday in Madison.

RealFeel of 29 > 36
Chance of rain during the first half. 0.06 inches so not heavy rain but damp and raw out. 5-6 mph NNW wind.

Based on that, I'd wear capris, LS performance T, gloves, hat. I'd also bring a trash bag to the start (wear it as a poncho while you are waiting) and I'd consider a running vest if you have one. If not, don't worry about it. I like to wear throwaway gloves (the el cheapo magic gloves). Ann-Marie and others probably have suggestions for real gloves to wear. 

2017-11-10 12:19 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Question of the Day (well, the afternoon, at least):

Wahoo Kickr Snap or Cyclops Magnus?

Same price. Major differences seem to be 1500w vs 2200w max (I suspect his will not be a problem for me!), 15% vs 12% max grade, and the proprietary nob on the Magnus ("clutch knob for the perfect roller to tire tension during each ride").

DCR comparison chart

PSA: 20% off most items at Clever Training with VIP membership. Join for one-time $9.99 fee. (once, not yearly, and (the $5 is donated to Girls on the Run, if that makes a difference to you). GPS devices are excluded. They do the 20% off thing twice a year.

2017-11-10 12:41 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

RealFeel of 29 > 36
Chance of rain during the first half. 0.06 inches so not heavy rain but damp and raw out. 5-6 mph NNW wind.

Based on that, I'd wear capris, LS performance T, gloves, hat. I'd also bring a trash bag to the start (wear it as a poncho while you are waiting) and I'd consider a running vest if you have one. If not, don't worry about it. I like to wear throwaway gloves (the el cheapo magic gloves). Ann-Marie and others probably have suggestions for real gloves to wear. 

This one is going to take some options to bring and deciding just before as the forecast has been moving around. I see 20% chance of rain during the day there, but it's 70% chance of slush overnight. By me is at 80% chance of rain and I'm less than 2 hrs away. Something could shift just a little and things become horrible or just sunny & kind of cool out. I'm sensing 30's for temp, but the wetness I can't tell that well yet. At those temps this would be prime hypothermia weather if it rains the whole time.

Ann Marie had some good suggestions to combine in with these. If it's dry, decisions should be easier. If it's wet, then think of light weight (the trash bag?) to repel some water, but can still breathe to let your body temp regulate. Plus think of the chaffing for the wetness too. I've run in these conditions a number of times, but only up to 90 minutes or so, not 5 hrs. I'm also a lot bigger & generate more heat, both help to combat these conditions, so don't have as many specifics.

2017-11-10 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

November 11-12
Lisa - Ragnar Relay (South Beach, FL)
Robin K - RnR Vegas half marathon on Sunday
Mary G - Madison Marathon on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

November 15 Robin K’s birthday

Robin P is recovering from hand surgery.

If you need a brain break. take a look at Ann-Marie's new puppy. One of these little guys will be joining her family: http://www.bearhuggriffons.com/index_files/Page4948.htm

2017-11-10 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Same price. Major differences seem to be 1500w vs 2200w max (I suspect his will not be a problem for me!), 15% vs 12% max grade, and the proprietary nob on the Magnus ("clutch knob for the perfect roller to tire tension during each ride").

DCR comparison chart

PSA: 20% off most items at Clever Training with VIP membership. Join for one-time $9.99 fee. (once, not yearly, and (the $5 is donated to Girls on the Run, if that makes a difference to you). GPS devices are excluded. They do the 20% off thing twice a year.

Based on threads i've seen in ST, you probably can flip a coin to make this decision! 

I have put myself on spending lock down, so am resisting looking at Clever Training... for now. 

2017-11-10 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

RealFeel of 29 > 36

Holy moly, how did i forget gloves?! I have to wear them almost as soon as the temp has a 6 as the first number!! But, I just use cheapo gloves or if i don't have any gloves handy, socks! Socks are actually really warm as are more like a mitten and, as a bonus, they're very stylish

2017-11-10 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

November 11-12

Is anyone else racing?

If you need a brain break. take a look at Ann-Marie's new puppy. One of these little guys will be joining her family: http://www.bearhuggriffons.com/index_files/Page4948.htm

Go racers go!! Another nice variety of races this week! Hopefully the weather will cooperate for all!

Happy early bday Robin K!

Successful reccovery Robin P!

And, happy almost time for my new puppy to come home to me!  Final puppy evals will be made this weekend by the breeder, so he'll know which puppy is going to which owner after the evals.  I was the last person to get in on the litter and am not looking to hunt or show him, so I will just be taking what he gives me. Luckily, they are all super cute!!   

2017-11-10 4:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

November 11-12

Is anyone else racing?

Go Lisa, Robin and Mary
I hope that you all have a great day.

Happy Birthday Robin

And I hope your hand gets better soon Robin
2017-11-10 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by StaceyK Took mum to she the surgeon today because she has torn her medial meniscus, thank goodness it isn't really bad and as an added answer to prayer the surgeon is a runner so he gets it. So day surgery on Monday to trim the tear, then 6-10 days rest after which she can start walking, slowly at first but then at pace and as far as she can manage. She can start running again after 6 weeks, so about a week and a half before Disney. He promised to have her sorted in time so that she will be able to finish Dopey. One of the benefits of being hurt at work in Australia is that you get the treatment you need really quickly and at no cost.

Sorry for your mother's injury, but it sounds like she has gotten the best care possible and will be back on the road soon.  I'm a little surprised that the surgeon thinks she will be able to complete dopey after not running for 6 weeks, but i'm an attorney not a doctor, so what do i know!

Very good workers comp laws in Australia, basically its illegal not to cover your employees and the fines are massive, so it's just not worth not having it.

The Dr saying he would have Mum right for Dopey may have something to do with her telling him that she would be doing it on crutches if needs be. She is allowed to start walking for exercise after about a week and he said slowly at first but after another week then as far and fast as she can manage. The time cut offs are pretty generous and Mum has long legs and can walk reasonably fast so even if she walks the whole marathon she should still be able to finish in the cut off time.

I think mum and the Dr actually talked about running more than they talked about the surgery. Turns out the Dr does a lot of trail running and he told mum about this event, so now Mum and E are thinking that this could be our 2018 girls running trip (short course)

http://rapidascent.com.au/runlarapinta/

With views like this why not?

(IMG_0103.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0103.PNG (3491KB - 3 downloads)

2017-11-10 5:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
OMG--I need that doctor. It has been almost three months! Probably going to try running in another two weeks. After the MRI and a bunch of consultations, basically ended up with the same advice as from the podiatrist who's never even seen me in person--at this point, probably just a bunch of residual swelling from an injury that's no longer visible on the MRI and, at least on a macro level, has healed. Try oral anti-inflammatories for two weeks; then go off them for a week. If no discomfort with walking and normal life, gradually return to running. If not, I would then need to consider a cortisone injection, and more time off.

It's getting to where it's not very noticeable day to day, just some dull aching if I've been sitting for a while or when I first start walking in the morning. I've been doing some exercises to regain strength and stability in my foot after two months of clomping around in stiff hiking boots (I'm wearing running shoes to work now; still not sure I could get through the work day in regular shoes), and sometimes those will trigger aching as well. Not always even where the original injury was. It may well just be random stuff from having the nerve that goes to my toes compressed for so long by swelling, or complaints from all those little muscles in your foot that stabilize things when you are not wearing stiff boots to keep your toes from flexing.

Seriously, I can hardly remember what running feels like anymore, or imagine myself running more than a mile.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-11-10 5:16 PM
2017-11-11 8:46 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by StaceyK

Very good workers comp laws in Australia, basically its illegal not to cover your employees and the fines are massive, so it's just not worth not having it. The Dr saying he would have Mum right for Dopey may have something to do with her telling him that she would be doing it on crutches if needs be. She is allowed to start walking for exercise after about a week and he said slowly at first but after another week then as far and fast as she can manage. The time cut offs are pretty generous and Mum has long legs and can walk reasonably fast so even if she walks the whole marathon she should still be able to finish in the cut off time. I think mum and the Dr actually talked about running more than they talked about the surgery. Turns out the Dr does a lot of trail running and he told mum about this event, so now Mum and E are thinking that this could be our 2018 girls running trip (short course) http://rapidascent.com.au/runlarapinta/With views like this why not?
That looks lik 4 days of fun... well, maybe not all fun, but you know what i mean. sure is beautiful.

2017-11-11 12:46 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

DCR comparison chart

The two things that stand out to me when comparing those two trainers are:1. Flywheel weight. The Snap flywheel weight is significantly heavier in comparison. I believe this allows for more inertia and gives a more "road like" feel.2. Temperature compensation. Unless you want to keep doing roll downs as your trainer warms up, it's so much easier to have the trainer measure, and compensate, for temperature fluctuations.Didn't Kevin buy a Snap last year? How are you/is he finding it? I'm biased toward the Kicks because I've had zero problems with mine, plus, Wahoo appears to have a good support system in place. I haven't read the full reviews. Will try to do so.
2017-11-11 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!!!

November 11-12

Is anyone else racing?

Enjoy the racing all. I believe Judi did a little something this morning as well.

Heal up Robin, you'll be back at it in no time I'm sure.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44