BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-02-24 7:42 AM
in reply to: #5255838

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Fantastic job, Stacey!!! Gotta love progress.

2019-02-24 7:59 AM
in reply to: #5255853

User image

Question. Do any of you use the compression recovery boots (Air Relax, Normatec or Rapid Reboot)? If so, your thoughts??
2019-02-24 8:15 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Had a great run this morning. This is my favourite of all the trail events I've done. It has some big up hills and some fantastic down hills and some wonderful rocky single track along both side of the creek and it's just fun. The hills didn't hurt as much this year as they did last year and I took 24 minutes off my time from last year so I'm stoked (and smashed)

Woo hoo! That's awesome! 24 minutes, dang!

2019-02-24 8:19 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs Question. Do any of you use the compression recovery boots (Air Relax, Normatec or Rapid Reboot)? If so, your thoughts??

I haven't been able to justify the purchase.I just think I'd get a lot more use out of the other items on my gear list: iPad for Sufferfest, etc. (plus subscription to Sufferfest, etc.), watch upgrade to 935 or Fenix 5 (battery, etc. is going on the 920XT), after a recent shorts inventory I found that I need a few pair for Desoto tri shorts. So yeah, Air Relax boots are an my list but towards the bottom of it.

2019-02-24 11:26 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Had a great run this morning. This is my favourite of all the trail events I've done. It has some big up hills and some fantastic down hills and some wonderful rocky single track along both side of the creek and it's just fun. The hills didn't hurt as much this year as they did last year and I took 24 minutes off my time from last year so I'm stoked (and smashed)

Wow, that’s a huge PR! Congrats! Trail running is he best.

2019-02-24 11:30 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs Question. Do any of you use the compression recovery boots (Air Relax, Normatec or Rapid Reboot)? If so, your thoughts??

i have always been intrigued by the recovery boots, but like Janyne, I just haven’t been able to justify the expense. I read an endorsement of them from one of the pros ( whose name just went out of my head), he has some connection with both normatec and air relax. Made the statement that only a small % of pros in any field are sponsored by he product, but a huge % of pros use some type of recovery boot. Implication being, the pros Must think they are worthwhile since most aren’t getting paid to use them or been given a free pair.

2019-02-24 1:12 PM
in reply to: #5255854

User image

Ann-Marie...I think that was Thomas Gerlacher. I've read his blog. He seems to have a code for 5% off for the Rapid Reboot every 6 months or so.
2019-02-24 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs Ann-Marie...I think that was Thomas Gerlacher. I've read his blog. He seems to have a code for 5% off for the Rapid Reboot every 6 months or so.

yes, that’s who it was!

2019-02-24 7:08 PM

User image

Originally posted by glfprncs

Question. Do any of you use the compression recovery boots (Air Relax, Normatec or Rapid Reboot)? If so, your thoughts??

My local tri store has them for rent as does the lady who I get my massages from. I used them after a 70.3, a few half marathons, and long bike or runs. I felt they did aid in recovery. Would I buy them? No. But they are really nice to use.
2019-02-25 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Nicely done, Nancy and Stacey! Both of you PR'd, which is no small feat. I had a good ride with Ann, which was what this gravel event was all about. We both did the 35 mile option. And then I did the 35 cookie option (ok, maybe not that many, but I tried ), which may not be the best recovery food on the planet, but it was yummy. I blew through two rear tires and finished with a 1/4 mile hike back to the parking lot. All in all, it was an enjoyable day and I may be meeting up with their Thursday night group for an evening ride or two. I have to return the bike I borrowed, so tonight will be cleaning the bike and re-waxing the chain.

I'll be doing some calculations on the final placements for the Jogo Challenge and seeing who the winner is. BTW, the prize for winning my not be the largest prize ever given. I am not above some creative scoring, so make your case for being named the winner. Also, bribery will not be frowned upon  although admitting that may not be a good idea, given the number of LEO's in this group.

On a serious note, I do have to thank everyone for participating, it certainly jump started my weight loss. I need to keep after it, but if I can drop another 5 or so pounds, I will be happy as can be. I hope everyone was able to get their year started off on the right foot.

2019-02-25 7:35 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Nicely done, Nancy and Stacey! Both of you PR'd, which is no small feat. I had a good ride with Ann, which was what this gravel event was all about. We both did the 35 mile option. And then I did the 35 cookie option (ok, maybe not that many, but I tried ), which may not be the best recovery food on the planet, but it was yummy. I blew through two rear tires and finished with a 1/4 mile hike back to the parking lot. All in all, it was an enjoyable day and I may be meeting up with their Thursday night group for an evening ride or two. I have to return the bike I borrowed, so tonight will be cleaning the bike and re-waxing the chain.

I'll be doing some calculations on the final placements for the Jogo Challenge and seeing who the winner is. BTW, the prize for winning my not be the largest prize ever given. I am not above some creative scoring, so make your case for being named the winner. Also, bribery will not be frowned upon  although admitting that may not be a good idea, given the number of LEO's in this group.

On a serious note, I do have to thank everyone for participating, it certainly jump started my weight loss. I need to keep after it, but if I can drop another 5 or so pounds, I will be happy as can be. I hope everyone was able to get their year started off on the right foot.

Everyone did great with challenge! I loved having the spreadsheets so I could check stuff off :-D

And what email address should we send the paypal funds to???

2019-02-25 8:15 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Everyone did great with challenge! I loved having the spreadsheets so I could check stuff off :-D

And what email address should we send the paypal funds to???

I forgot to weigh myself this morning, so final weigh in will be tomorrow. I know I didn't hit my weight goal, but at least I hit my core/strength goal! 

The spreadsheet was a great tool!

2019-02-25 8:24 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

My dog Teddy and his best bud Bryson are in a contest to become Merrell’s first dog ambassador/s.  The 10 finalist are chosen by popular vote and then the winner by Merrell. Please consider voting for them . Here’s the link.  The site is not mobile friendly, at least Apple products, so don’t get discouraged if you run into a problem voting by phone or iPad- go to your computer   I can’t do a direct link to their photo, except from my FB page, so the easiest way to find them is to hit most liked on the drop down menu and keep looking til you see the picture of Teddy the Griff and Bryson the yellow lab. No names are on the picture ( they don’t make things easy!). Click on the picture then on the black heart. It will turn red. 

You can vote everyday you lucky people!

im trying to add the picture you should look for, but sometimes BT does not cooperate! You can find it in my log though.

thanks in advance!

Attachments
----------------
4442D40F-57ED-4BE7-ABB9-1F90FE6A63AD.jpeg (2134KB - 7 downloads)
2019-02-25 8:58 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by glfprncs Was a cold, drizzly morning for a half marathon this morning, and I really wasn't feeling it, but I had a great race. Followed the plan almost to the letter, ran a negative split, my fastest splits were my final 3 miles and I had a PR to boot. Yay!

Wow, great race indeed, congrats!

2019-02-25 8:59 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Stacey, that is simply wonderful!!  And wow, what a way to destroy your previous time, congratulations!

2019-02-25 9:09 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

Nice work surviving the Dirty Hamster and the many cookies that apparently were part of the event!

You said you were going to kick butt in the weight-loss category of the Jogo Challenge and you certainly did, excellent job!!  Woooo!

2019-02-26 10:30 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Question for the group: is 8 weeks enough time to get ready to run a half marathon?  My current running has been pretty sporadic, maybe 1x week for about 3 miles.  Oh my gosh, just typing this I feel like my question is overwhelmingly obviously stupid.

2019-02-26 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hmmm....You could surely manage to finish with some walking if you have a good base from swimming or biking, but that's a pretty short time frame. What's more concerning than the 3 miles is the 1X per week. It's going to be hard to build up the resilience to handle a lot more volume in that short a time. I would start building frequency first (up to 4-5 X a week at 3 miles if there are no major injury concerns), and then adding in distance/time to some of those runs, maybe with structured run/walk so you can build endurance up faster with less impact. Barry P plan (somewhere on this site) is a good guideline for how to get in the mileage.
2019-02-26 12:10 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Hmmm....You could surely manage to finish with some walking if you have a good base from swimming or biking, but that's a pretty short time frame. What's more concerning than the 3 miles is the 1X per week. It's going to be hard to build up the resilience to handle a lot more volume in that short a time. I would start building frequency first (up to 4-5 X a week at 3 miles if there are no major injury concerns), and then adding in distance/time to some of those runs, maybe with structured run/walk so you can build endurance up faster with less impact. Barry P plan (somewhere on this site) is a good guideline for how to get in the mileage.

If it were me, I'd probably worry more about over-training injuries than I would being able to finish. I think you could get your cardio system up to speed in that time (maybe with some walking etc. in the race itself), but you'd be looking at larger than prescribed volume increases per week. My frame is rickety enough I'd be likely to end up hurting myself. YMMV though.
2019-02-26 12:21 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Hmmm....You could surely manage to finish with some walking if you have a good base from swimming or biking, but that's a pretty short time frame. What's more concerning than the 3 miles is the 1X per week. It's going to be hard to build up the resilience to handle a lot more volume in that short a time. I would start building frequency first (up to 4-5 X a week at 3 miles if there are no major injury concerns), and then adding in distance/time to some of those runs, maybe with structured run/walk so you can build endurance up faster with less impact. Barry P plan (somewhere on this site) is a good guideline for how to get in the mileage.

I think this is a good strategy, but Adam makes a good point about injury. You know your body and how it handles run volume, so take that into consideration too! 

2019-02-26 12:42 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

Thanks, gang, for reinforcing what I think I already suspected: not enough time to build up to a decent, injury-free race.  I guess I'll save that race for next year and be sure to be on top of my running so I can do it.  It's kind of a wish list race, although I don't technically have it on my wish list.  http://www.bluegrayhalf.com/   Some day, some day...

2019-02-26 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Thanks, gang, for reinforcing what I think I already suspected: not enough time to build up to a decent, injury-free race.  I guess I'll save that race for next year and be sure to be on top of my running so I can do it.  It's kind of a wish list race, although I don't technically have it on my wish list.  http://www.bluegrayhalf.com/   Some day, some day...

that looks like a great race!

2019-02-26 1:52 PM

User image

Originally posted by melbo55

That might go on my list as well!
2019-02-26 1:54 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

So here's a question to ponder:

Do you get stressed when you miss workouts? I missed so many workouts or just did water-downed workouts when I was sick and now we have conferences the next two nights so I'm going to miss more. Missing my swim sets is starting to stress me out. Does this happen to anyone else?
2019-02-26 1:58 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo So here's a question to ponder: Do you get stressed when you miss workouts? I missed so many workouts or just did water-downed workouts when I was sick and now we have conferences the next two nights so I'm going to miss more. Missing my swim sets is starting to stress me out. Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes. I have to go out of town for work next month. I'm worrying about it. I'm pretty sure there is a bike in there that is just not gonna happen. I know that it'll be fine in the end but I don't like it when that happens.

You can't help that you were sick! It's frustrating, for sure, but it's not as if you did it on purpose. And regarding the conferences, you've solved that problem for next year!

In the end, we can only do what we can do.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107