BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 62

2013-11-14 12:27 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?)
Originally posted by QueenZipp

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

hmmmm....need some advice, Pod.

My lower right shin muscle is pretty sore. Not swollen or showing bruising or hot, but has been between sore and painful since Monday. I had Monday off running, then ran the prescribed 3 on Tuesday (really sore after that). Yesterday I did yoga and 45min on elliptical so I wouldn't be pounding on it.

I've not had this kind of soreness before, so I'm assuming from what I've read that it's shin splints: I've been running a lot on sidewalks, pushing stroller into the wind, and was already planning to get new shoes this weekend b/c mine are wearing down.

So my plan is to trainer and elliptical in HR zones for the next couple of days.  I don't need to totally rest, right?

Anterior shin splints--no fun.  You could possibly use the elliptical as long as you are not having more pain.  If you can't walk normally because of pain then the only thing you should do is swim and yoga.  If you can walk but not run then the elliptical *should* be okay.

Hehe...i should ask before starting workout Walking hurt yesterday but tons better today. Stretching, easy trainer and elliptical, and more stretching. If level of soreness returns later, I'll only stretch and swim tomorrow. Thanks, Judi.

2013-11-14 12:35 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Originally posted by melbo55

Ahhhhhh yeeeah, you know what day it is!!!!

Your kids are just too cute for words, and the camel looks cute as well!  "Hey Mike...MikeMikeMike..."

Thanks! They're turning out okay despite my involvement. And...ohhh, I have words for them sometimes. I just don't say them aloud :P.
2013-11-14 12:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Originally posted by rrrunner

Hmmm...the mocha java truffle mixture has a good flavor, but I'm having a hard time getting it to a "dough" consistency. Even after a full cup of protein powder, really sticky. Trying the fridge to see if it will ball up better when cold.

So how'd it turn out?

Still in fridge. Ended up a single parent last night so have to resume experiments today

ETA: Got home and found that mixture is very sticky instead of gooey...more like taffy. Still tastes good, though! I may put a little butter or coconut oil on my hands to try to roll them.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2013-11-14 2:12 PM
2013-11-14 2:27 PM

User image

Master

Your kids are just too cute for words, and the camel looks cute as well!  "Hey Mike...MikeMikeMike..."

They are awesome kids!!!

Awwww...I kinda like them.  Since you met her, this story will make "sense".

I took the kids to Taco Bell last night since J had a business dinner. As we were walking inside, Mak got all excited and started running. Thinking there were double doors, she ran around me holding the door and smacked face-first into the window. She hit so hard she bounced a foot backwards onto her back. We were all shocked for a second before she started crying. I picked her up, held her close and laughed into her hair. In the bathroom we looked for any cuts or blood...nothing but a stinging nose/chin and a bit of embarrassment. Fifteen minutes later she was telling the snowbirds next to us all about it...I believe they heard it at least 4 times.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2013-11-14 2:27 PM
2013-11-14 2:41 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Orlando

They are awesome kids!!!

Awwww...I kinda like them.  Since you met her, this story will make "sense".

I took the kids to Taco Bell last night since J had a business dinner. As we were walking inside, Mak got all excited and started running. Thinking there were double doors, she ran around me holding the door and smacked face-first into the window. She hit so hard she bounced a foot backwards onto her back. We were all shocked for a second before she started crying. I picked her up, held her close and laughed into her hair. In the bathroom we looked for any cuts or blood...nothing but a stinging nose/chin and a bit of embarrassment. Fifteen minutes later she was telling the snowbirds next to us all about it...I believe they heard it at least 4 times.

I probably shouldn't admit that I've done that too
2013-11-14 4:15 PM

User image

Master

Interesting...

After 40min on stationary bike and 30min on elliptical, plus before/after stretching, my leg feels better than it has since Sunday. (no ice, no pain meds )  Fingers crossed it continues to improve into the weekend!

ETA: geez...I keep having these "second thoughts" and add-ons!

OK- so up until last week, I've gotten 2-3 yoga sessions in per week (except when sick and not exercising at all). Possible that sessions getting cut to 1/week having an effect on my legs as I'm running more?

Edited by 4agoodlife 2013-11-14 4:46 PM

2013-11-14 4:15 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Hmmm...the mocha java truffle mixture has a good flavor, but I'm having a hard time getting it to a "dough" consistency. Even after a full cup of protein powder, really sticky. Trying the fridge to see if it will ball up better when cold.

So how'd it turn out?

Still in fridge. Ended up a single parent last night so have to resume experiments today

ETA: Got home and found that mixture is very sticky instead of gooey...more like taffy. Still tastes good, though! I may put a little butter or coconut oil on my hands to try to roll them.

One of the bloggers I read (her husband is stationed in Tucson) often makes something similar she calls "Amazeballz". She's at fitnessista.com

2013-11-14 4:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by jmkizer

Regarding nutrition

Have you seen these Feed Zone Portables recipes on USAT's site?

Bought the book but haven't cooked anything from it yet.  I really need a new rice cooker...

hey Mel forget the rice cooker, here is the perfect way to cook rice in a saucepan:
- boil your kettle
- for every one cup of rice add 2 cups of boiling water to the saucepan
- but the lid on and gently boil on medium heat for 7 minutes
- turn it off when the liquid is just about gone
- leave the lid on and let it stand for 5-7 minutes
- done
If you want to add a hint of flavour to it add a few cloves, or a pinch of saffron, or half a lemon. Seriously I have never had this not work out to be beautiful fluffy rice.

Edited by StaceyK 2013-11-14 4:42 PM
2013-11-14 4:58 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

So how'd it turn out?

One of the bloggers I read (her husband is stationed in Tucson) often makes something similar she calls "Amazeballz". She's at fitnessista.com

Found them! I wonder if they taste a bit like Almond Joy with the chocolate/coconut/almond butter?

I'll have to pick up some almond butter and coconut. A couple of other things I want to try with coconut, too. Yum!

All these recipes floating around, I need to start a new section of food links in my log.

2013-11-14 6:59 PM

User image

Elite

My lower right shin muscle is pretty sore. Not swollen or showing bruising or hot, but has been between sore and painful since Monday. I had Monday off running, then ran the prescribed 3 on Tuesday (really sore after that). Yesterday I did yoga and 45min on elliptical so I wouldn't be pounding on it.

I've not had this kind of soreness before, so I'm assuming from what I've read that it's shin splints: I've been running a lot on sidewalks, pushing stroller into the wind, and was already planning to get new shoes this weekend b/c mine are wearing down.

So my plan is to trainer and elliptical in HR zones for the next couple of days.  I don't need to totally rest, right?

Much experience with the dreaded shin splints.

So calf stretch (not strength work)
Ice ice ice and then ice some more
self massage - roll a pencil up your shin towards your knee. It should be smooth not knotty or knobbly.
foam roller on calf
if you can PT massage and dry needling.

If you want to ride - no hills, just flat.

and here are some great exercises

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPixjWrjmZE
2013-11-14 7:06 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Master

Originally posted by jobaxas

Much experience with the dreaded shin splints. So calf stretch (not strength work) Ice ice ice and then ice some more self massage - roll a pencil up your shin towards your knee. It should be smooth not knotty or knobbly. foam roller on calf if you can PT massage and dry needling. If you want to ride - no hills, just flat. and here are some great exercises http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPixjWrjmZE

Thanks, Jo!

I will be doing much stretching and massaging.

2013-11-15 6:28 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Good day everyone, I hope all is well with you, your loved ones, and wherever in the world you may be.

This week's words of wisdom come from Rick Warren - "Vision is the ability to see potential in what others overlook."

Enjoy whatever the weekend has in store for you, laugh often, smile more, and continue to believe.

2013-11-15 11:45 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Originally posted by cdban66

Good day everyone, I hope all is well with you, your loved ones, and wherever in the world you may be.

This week's words of wisdom come from Rick Warren - "Vision is the ability to see potential in what others overlook."

Enjoy whatever the weekend has in store for you, laugh often, smile more, and continue to believe.

Thanks, Chris! You too
2013-11-15 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I asked this today in the gear forum, but I thought I'd throw it in here as well:

I am beginning to look into a GPS watch, primarily for running, but it would probably be used for cycling as well. First thought is the cost vs performance discussion and I am on the more frugal side. Second need is that I would like to be able to upload here to BT, as well as Strava. So, I have looked into a variety of Garmins and at Timex and I'm bouncing back and forth between a few models:

• Garmin 310X - about $250 and on the high side of the cost spectrum. Bike sensor and HRM add-ons available, if I ever grow into that.
  • Garmin Forerunner 110 - about $180, has the availability of a HRM.
  • Timex Trainer 2.0 - about $225, again with the HRM available later.

So, if you have any experience with the quality, functionality, or anything else with any of these please let me know. Also, if you have a different brand or model that you like, please let me know that as well.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

I have the 310XT and  like it.  I use it with both the bike and when running.  I have the quick release kit which makes it much more awesome for the but somewhat less awesome for the run due to added thickness.  I find it to be too large for my wrist.  This is only a problem on longer (IM and marathon training length) runs.  Twice now I have bruised the bones in my wrist and it takes about a week and a half for that to feel better.  I have used this watch for all three iron distance events that I've done (bike and run portion). 

I am considering the new 220 (or perhaps 620) for running because they seem to be very slim and might be good for marathon training. 

I am very pleased with the Garmin ecosystem.  Garmin Connect is much improved in the past year.

I assume that you have already looked at DC Rainmaker's Comparison Calculator and Gadget Recommendations?

ETA: I put set up a price watch on camelcamelcamel to help me with any future purchases ;-)

Edited by jmkizer 2013-11-15 1:00 PM
2013-11-15 1:13 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

November 16-17
Judi - Ricmond marathon on Saturday
Salty- Mustache Dache 5K on Saturday
Darren - Brecon Beacons Ultra (46 miles)
Yanti - Bali Sunset Highway Half Marathon on Sunday

Disabled list:
Felicia - under the weather
Ann-Marie - hamstring
Randee - under the weather
Erin - Anterior shin splints

November 16 is Chad's birthday

2013-11-15 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!

November 16-17

Disabled list:
Ann-Marie - hamstring

GOOOOOOOO RACING MANATEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least this week the DL is not longer than the racing list. Heal up y'all!

2013-11-15 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Do shin splints hurt one day and fine the next? I've had no issues today. Not being foolish and testing out on a run, but leg has had nary a twinge all morning
2013-11-15 2:16 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!

November 16-17

Disabled list:
Ann-Marie - hamstring

Yeah, what she said!!!!!!

2013-11-15 2:41 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Do shin splints hurt one day and fine the next? I've had no issues today. Not being foolish and testing out on a run, but leg has had nary a twinge all morning

Shin splints, or stress fractures, can manifest in a number of ways, so I can only really talk about the symptoms I experienced when I suffered with them many years ago during Army training.

I felt pain along the inner edge of my shin bone after each run, subtle at first but more noticeable the more runs I completed. At first, I was getting acute pain when touching that part of my shin, but this progressed later to acute pain whenever I stopped running. Literally, toward the end, as soon as I'd stop running I would have to lay on my back and get my feet off the floor. After that point I was put on crutches for 2 months, so don't get to that point

In my case, the cause was assessed to be that I was running with my boots too tight. Who knows,but I do get the same feeling in my shins, but not as badly, after I've been running hills. Have you increased your hill work?
2013-11-15 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!

November 16-17

Disabled list:
Ann-Marie - hamstring

And what he said!
2013-11-15 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by 4agoodlifeDo shin splints hurt one day and fine the next? I've had no issues today. Not being foolish and testing out on a run, but leg has had nary a twinge all morning
Here's an article about shin splints. It says they often feel better in the morning. Thankfully, for me, I've never had them so I can only offer the article.http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/shin-splints

2013-11-15 2:55 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Racing Manatees!

November 16-17

Disabled list:
Ann-Marie - hamstring

Race hard Judi, trout and Mrs Kingsley.
Heal up malingerers
I'm not holding out much hope for a quick time tomoz, still hacking up multi coloured things for my chest. Along with that ,the fact that I'm still in work until 1am, which will allow me a full 3 hours sleep b4 race day, and the fact that my neighbour of the adjoining property had their roof stripped and retiled over the past 2 days meant I have had roughly the same amount of sleep for the past 2 days and I have done zero training for it, I'd say, it's highly likely it's gonna hurt.
Oh we'll, time to dig deep.
2013-11-15 3:04 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

My race finishers shirt is ORANGE.

I think Salty will like it

2013-11-15 3:25 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by 4agoodlifeDo shin splints hurt one day and fine the next? I've had no issues today. Not being foolish and testing out on a run, but leg has had nary a twinge all morning
Shin splints, or stress fractures, can manifest in a number of ways, so I can only really talk about the symptoms I experienced when I suffered with them many years ago during Army training.I felt pain along the inner edge of my shin bone after each run, subtle at first but more noticeable the more runs I completed. At first, I was getting acute pain when touching that part of my shin, but this progressed later to acute pain whenever I stopped running. Literally, toward the end, as soon as I'd stop running I would have to lay on my back and get my feet off the floor. After that point I was put on crutches for 2 months, so don't get to that point In my case, the cause was assessed to be that I was running with my boots too tight. Who knows,but I do get the same feeling in my shins, but not as badly, after I've been running hills. Have you increased your hill work?
Ouch!...seems like it would be difficult to do army training on crutches. And NOOOOO crutches for me. Forced to spend 3 months on them after knee surgery.. D-O-N-E. I'm guessing on it being shin splints. I've never had them, or this particular pain, so nothing to compare to. Have been running on sidewalks a lot, pushing stroller into wind (leaning forward), and ready for new shoes. I'm just a little confused by the sudden lack of soreness so far today compared to Mon-Thurs.
2013-11-15 3:27 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Originally posted by amd723
Here's an article about shin splints. It says they often feel better in the morning. Thankfully, for me, I've never had them so I can only offer the article.http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/shin-splints
Thanks checking it out now.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  

of 62

RELATED POSTS

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : September 20, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Snapping hip syndrome is a condition described by a snapping sensation felt when the hip is flexed and extended. It is often also treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : May 29, 2012
I recently just ran a 5 mile race, and in the last 100 meters I was sprinting to pass someone and I felt a "pop" in my left arch. Could I have strained it? What is your advice for healing?
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.