General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 53

2010-05-27 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2236122

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Yeah, I'm kinda glad I don't know what I'm in for.  I'm sure there will be *some* suffering, but I'm not exactly looking forward to a whole marathon-sized helping of it.

2010-05-27 1:19 PM

User image

New user
http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Get_ready_for_Powerbar_PERFORM_1359....

Just read that Powerbar is new drink for some of the IM and 70.3 races instead of Gatorade. However, IMCDA was not listed. An e-mail that I sent to ask about the on course nutitrion was answered that Powerbar would be drink for IMCDA but now I am doubting that response. The athlete guide would be nice - I have been training with Gatorade Endurance for a couple months and would like to shift to Powerbar for my final few weeks if that is going to be the drink offered.

Anyone have any 100% accurate info?
2010-05-27 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2886425

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Who did you send the e-mail to and why would you doubt the response?

spathrw - 2010-05-27 2:19 PM http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Get_ready_for_Powerbar_PERFORM_1359.... Just read that Powerbar is new drink for some of the IM and 70.3 races instead of Gatorade. However, IMCDA was not listed. An e-mail that I sent to ask about the on course nutitrion was answered that Powerbar would be drink for IMCDA but now I am doubting that response. The athlete guide would be nice - I have been training with Gatorade Endurance for a couple months and would like to shift to Powerbar for my final few weeks if that is going to be the drink offered. Anyone have any 100% accurate info?
2010-05-27 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2886510

User image

New user
brian - 2010-05-27 2:40 PM

Who did you send the e-mail to and why would you doubt the response?

spathrw - 2010-05-27 2:19 PM http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Get_ready_for_Powerbar_PERFORM_1359.... Just read that Powerbar is new drink for some of the IM and 70.3 races instead of Gatorade. However, IMCDA was not listed. An e-mail that I sent to ask about the on course nutitrion was answered that Powerbar would be drink for IMCDA but now I am doubting that response. The athlete guide would be nice - I have been training with Gatorade Endurance for a couple months and would like to shift to Powerbar for my final few weeks if that is going to be the drink offered. Anyone have any 100% accurate info?

Sent e-mail to Ironman contact e-mail on Ironman website-about 3 months back and response was that Powerbar was going to be the new drink of IM. I only doubt it because this link specifically says which events Powerbar will be served at and IMCDA was not listed as one of the races. So the 2 sources are not matching up. I had heard through this forum that Powerbar was going to be the drink on course.
2010-05-27 5:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
I wondered the same thing when I saw the announcement and CDA not on the list.  I'm sure we'll hear something pretty soon.  I think I'm going to just stick with my own Carbo-Pro concoctions, salt and Shot Bloks and plan on just taking water from the aid stations.
2010-05-27 5:24 PM
in reply to: #2885796

User image

Regular
halfironmike - 2010-05-27 8:17 AM Does anyone bring a spare TIRE along on the IM bike course.  I'll be bringing 2 tubes and I'll probably put a few more, along with some spare CO2 cartridges, in my special needs, but I'm not sure if I should worry about the tire.  I have a bunch of slightly used ones that I have folded up and banded in their "original" packaged shape and I can wedge one between the rear bottles in my X-Lab.  I always take an extra tube on long rides and while I've never needed it, I've been debating about bringing one on the bike for CDA.

Also, regarding special needs...are we able to retrieve the bags for unused items after the event?

I'm planning on taking the 2 tubes and 2 CO2's that I normally have on the bike.  I'll probably haul along another tire to CDA, just in case, but won't carry it on the bike.

Will install a new set of tires and put a couple hundred miles on them before the event to make sure they're happy.

Speaking off bikes, I just made my "It's getting close to race day and I need to buy something purchase".  Will be rolling on my first real deep rimmed wheels.   

Should be able to get about 600 miles on them before the race to get comfortable with them.

2010-05-28 12:44 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Hrm, sorry if I have come across as a downer, I am not actually that down about things, all of life is an adventure.  I was just kind of posting flow of consciousness stuff.  We have had an unusual spring and I have gotten caught out running in hail storms... no biggie, just a bit chillly for a while, not something to end the run early or anything though.  The swim is coming along as well as can be expected (not an area of strenght but I have seen some improvement), building the bike later than I had wanted, but should get 600+ miles in this month and a 100 and 115 mile ride this week and next, should get me to T2. 

The run is the definite wild card for sure.  I have been doing a walk run walk run program trying to build what I can.  I thought I could do a walk .5 mile, jog 2 mile, walk .5, jog 2 mile... That worked for about 6 miles and then I got some twinges in the calf and backed off.  I then dropped to a .5, 1.5, .33, 1.5, .33,...etc.  I can usually do 3-5 run sets before the calf starts to twing on me and I back out.  It feels fine and I am all, nice... maybe I can go a bit farther this week... and then nopes.  Next run will be .33, 1, .33, 1, .33... etc.  Hopefully I can find the right mix to be able susstain longer outtings.    

When I refer to a shuffle, it is a lower impact shorter stride, less virticle movement,  almost jog that may be less irritating to the calf and more sustainable at this late date.  I am fully prepared to walk the entire marathon, but am hopefull that I can walk jog the first half at least. 

I will be competing like everyon else to the best of my ability as I expect the rest of you will be doing as well.  I am really impressed with so many folks here who will be rocking this event.  

I will attempt to not come off as Eorish, but I do enjoy a challenge, being the third son and having learning disabilities that made getting a Ph.D. challenging,  I kind of have a habbit of putting in my all to overcome obsticles.  Sorry if my sharring this is bothersome to this awsome BT crew. 

2010-05-28 8:33 AM

User image

Regular
Baowolf, you are alright man!  I figure a good portion of us will be doing the run, walk, hobble, shuffle thing once we get to the run...Laughing  Just a gut feeling...

As usual, there has been a lot of good info/questions posted lately...  I am still trying to dial in calories per hour on the bike.  I am thinking somewhere around 250 calories (1 Gu per hour, and half powerbar per hour, then a sports drink from the course).  I am trying to keep it as simple as possible.  Hopefully, I am on target with that.  I pretty much have the prerace and run figured out...

A lot of talk about the rear cassette...  As many have said, I think it comes down to personal preference.  I will continue to use a 11-26 set-up.  It may give me the option of getting me out of the saddle from time to time which my back side I am sure will thank me for.  Runnergirl, you will have to give me your thoughts on your new Cobb saddle.  I have had some debates on giving that a shot.

Tires and tubes...  At this point I plan to ride with my Easton Tempest II which fortunately or unfortunately are Tubulars....  I just had a new set of tires glued and they should be ready to roll.  That means I will be carrying a spare Tubular tire which can take a while to change a flat.  Anyone have any "real" experience with the puncture sealant/inflation cans for flats and quick repairs? 

On another note, I did my first open water swim earlier this week in 53 degree water.  Wow, that takes your breath away.  The poor soul's doing the Boise 70.3 Ironman in two weeks are going to have it rough.

Two more big training weekends!  Bike safe out there!  4 Weeks 3 Days= IMCDA!  I cannot believe it is almost here.Surprised
2010-05-28 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2887808

User image

Regular

Bwolf, keep it up man.  I like hearing about your journey.

I think the stories of grit, determination, and overcoming obstacles not only in the race, but through the months of training are inspiring.

I dig hearing about the hours on trainers, treadmills, driving hours to the pool, rain, cold, etc. that we all do to make it happen.

halfironmike - was also thinking that if you were concerned about tire damage, that carrying a tire boot could be an option (dollar bill, small piece of plastic).  Unless something catastrophic happened, you could have another repair option, without carrying a whole spare.  just a thought.

2010-05-28 11:52 AM

User image

Regular
Jodavis--  You nailed it!  I agree, the stories are great...  A lot of journeys taking place here and we are all in it for one reason or another.  Good stuff!

Hey good call on the boot...  I was going to mention the same thing.  They do the trick if you get desperate.

One other note regarding the new powerbar drink for some of the Ironman events... This was just posted on Slowtwitch yesterday.  I thought it might be of some interest to some of you...

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Get_ready_for_Powerbar_PERFORM_1359.html
2010-05-28 12:01 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Anybody else having major mood swings?  Within a 24 hour period I go from 'jazzed, I'm gonna rock this' to 'what the he** was I thinking' to 'I'm gonna die' to 'it is what it is' and then back again.  My head is starting to spin!   And this isn't my first!!  I really wish I had an opportunity to see the course before I arrive.  I keep staring at the topo and trying to compare it to runs and rides here!

10 more days of hard training......then it's taper time!

Is it time to start thinking of a meet when we're all up there?

2010-05-28 12:15 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Yes... the emotions do run up and down in the final build.  I think it is part of that body-mind connection where your body is responding with massive fatigue to the long workouts and then relief on the recovery days and then.... aprehensive of the unknown with some self-doubt sinking in here and there.  It is worse for the first one, but no it does not go away.  Just relax and let the feelings flow through you, you have done the work, get er done for 2 more weeks and then you will have what you need come race day.  It is magic. 

2010-05-28 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2888849

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
Baowolf - 2010-05-28 11:15 AM

Yes... the emotions do run up and down in the final build.  I think it is part of that body-mind connection where your body is responding with massive fatigue to the long workouts and then relief on the recovery days and then.... aprehensive of the unknown with some self-doubt sinking in here and there.  It is worse for the first one, but no it does not go away.  Just relax and let the feelings flow through you, you have done the work, get er done for 2 more weeks and then you will have what you need come race day.  It is magic. 

Yep, the nerves and worries do not really ever go away.  This will be my 6th time at CDA and I still get a little freaked out at times.  It will only get worse as the race gets closer.  The peak will be at about 6:30am on June 27th where they start hearding everyone out of transition.  However, the best feeling of all happens around 5 yards into the swim.  All the waiting is over and its time to just let your race plan unfold. 

If you are not a little worried and freaked out right now then you probably don't really understand what you've gotten yourself into.  
2010-05-28 1:14 PM
in reply to: #2888956

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
T in Liberty Lake - 2010-05-28 1:51 PM
Baowolf - 2010-05-28 11:15 AM

Yep, the nerves and worries do not really ever go away.  This will be my 6th time at CDA and I still get a little freaked out at times.  It will only get worse as the race gets closer.  The peak will be at about 6:30am on June 27th where they start hearding everyone out of transition.  However, the best feeling of all happens around 5 yards into the swim.  All the waiting is over and its time to just let your race plan unfold. 

If you are not a little worried and freaked out right now then you probably don't really understand what you've gotten yourself into.  

I totally agree.  No matter how many times you do an IM you still get nervous, have doubts, etc....It's always a daunting distance.
2010-05-28 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2888705

User image

Tampa, FL
jodavis21 - 2010-05-28 12:30 PM

Bwolf, keep it up man.  I like hearing about your journey.

I think the stories of grit, determination, and overcoming obstacles not only in the race, but through the months of training are inspiring.

I dig hearing about the hours on trainers, treadmills, driving hours to the pool, rain, cold, etc. that we all do to make it happen.

halfironmike - was also thinking that if you were concerned about tire damage, that carrying a tire boot could be an option (dollar bill, small piece of plastic).  Unless something catastrophic happened, you could have another repair option, without carrying a whole spare.  just a thought.

I have to agree with this. I find Baowolf's determination rather inspiring. I hope I get to see him finish. There is no doubt he will finish.
2010-05-28 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2888163

User image

Tampa, FL
trilund - 2010-05-28 9:33 AM

Baowolf, you are alright man!  I figure a good portion of us will be doing the run, walk, hobble, shuffle thing once we get to the run...Laughing  Just a gut feeling...

As usual, there has been a lot of good info/questions posted lately...  I am still trying to dial in calories per hour on the bike.  I am thinking somewhere around 250 calories (1 Gu per hour, and half powerbar per hour, then a sports drink from the course).  I am trying to keep it as simple as possible.  Hopefully, I am on target with that.  I pretty much have the prerace and run figured out...

A lot of talk about the rear cassette...  As many have said, I think it comes down to personal preference.  I will continue to use a 11-26 set-up.  It may give me the option of getting me out of the saddle from time to time which my back side I am sure will thank me for.  Runnergirl, you will have to give me your thoughts on your new Cobb saddle.  I have had some debates on giving that a shot.

Tires and tubes...  At this point I plan to ride with my Easton Tempest II which fortunately or unfortunately are Tubulars....  I just had a new set of tires glued and they should be ready to roll.  That means I will be carrying a spare Tubular tire which can take a while to change a flat.  Anyone have any "real" experience with the puncture sealant/inflation cans for flats and quick repairs? 

On another note, I did my first open water swim earlier this week in 53 degree water.  Wow, that takes your breath away.  The poor soul's doing the Boise 70.3 Ironman in two weeks are going to have it rough.

Two more big training weekends!  Bike safe out there!  4 Weeks 3 Days= IMCDA!  I cannot believe it is almost here.Surprised

I used a 12-25 cassette with a 53/39 in 2008 and was OK. I had limited experience with hills at the time and grinded a couple of those CDA hills each lap but was OK. This is going to be individual but most should be OK with a 25 cog on the cassette.

I have the Cobb V-Flow Plus saddle and like it very much. If you have any questions, send Cobb Cycling an email and you will hear back from John Cobb himself.

Again this is an individual things but I am normally around 200-250 calories an hour. I suggest you test the intake out at race intensity. It is one thing to take in calories on a nice easy bike ride but another at race pace.

I will be riding Tubulars as well and will carry one spare Tubular tire. If I was riding clinchers I would have two tubes and two CO2. This is what I normally carry on a training ride. All this fits easily in my rear hydration system. I never carry a spare clincher tire. I have debated the puncture sealant but have not yet tried them.

In 2008 it the lake temperature just made it to around 60 deg F for race day. I was fine after the initial shock. I don’t think water temperature will be an issue this year (I hope).

I got my longest run in this morning. My wife took the kids (all three of them) to school so I could get the run in on a Friday. I plan a nice OWS tomorrow morning. Then Sunday do around 100 miles on the bike with a couple tempo portions after a good warm-up. This will be a good time for me to test the nutrition at race pace.

Almost there!

Edited by D-Smoke 2010-05-28 1:45 PM

2010-05-28 6:19 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Athlete Guides are up!!!
2010-05-28 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2889545

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

anyone know what mile the second run cutoff is? it mentions a hill, but not specific to what mile it is on the run.  I'm shooting for finishing around 16, but want to make sure I'm aware of what I'm up against. 

totally pumped to do this!

2010-05-28 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2889545

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
velcromom - 2010-05-28 7:19 PM Athlete Guides are up!!!

Soooo.....that means our BIB #'s will probably be posted in another 2ish weeks!  Wow- we're so close. 
2010-05-28 9:46 PM

User image

Hugo, MN

Not that this really matters, but on page 16 of the guide (Tri bike transport) they give you tips for you and your bike and travelling to Utah.  I've got big problems if I'm in Utah on race day...(a cut and paste error I'm sure, it made me laugh).

The publishing of the guide has my nerves all a-flutter!

2010-05-28 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2889600

User image

Master
atlrunnergirl - 2010-05-28 5:32 PM

anyone know what mile the second run cutoff is? it mentions a hill, but not specific to what mile it is on the run.  I'm shooting for finishing around 16, but want to make sure I'm aware of what I'm up against. 

totally pumped to do this!

Just off the cuff I am thinking it is around mile 20 or so.

2010-05-29 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2889733

User image

Veteran
Spokane
I think it is too, somewhere between 18-22 (that is a big window). If I remember correctly, the one big hill going out towards "the point" is the only major hill in the entire run course, correcto? And, we only run a portion of that hill (twice) before we turn around.

Don't worry about cutoff times - everyone is going to rock it. Does anyone know how they decide what your race number is? I'm curious, as one of my brothers (yes, same lastname) and I signed up at the same time and another brother of mine signed up about 20 hours after we did...wondering if we will be close to each other in transition?

Hope the training is peaking in a couple of weeks .

2010-05-29 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2890036

User image

Master
triseattle - 2010-05-29 10:12 AM I think it is too, somewhere between 18-22 (that is a big window). If I remember correctly, the one big hill going out towards "the point" is the only major hill in the entire run course, correcto? And, we only run a portion of that hill (twice) before we turn around. Don't worry about cutoff times - everyone is going to rock it. Does anyone know how they decide what your race number is? I'm curious, as one of my brothers (yes, same lastname) and I signed up at the same time and another brother of mine signed up about 20 hours after we did...wondering if we will be close to each other in transition? Hope the training is peaking in a couple of weeks .

Correct. There are itty bitty undulations going out to the point, and the hill is more long than steep, but not THAT long, IMO (but where I live there are lots of hills so my perception may be skewed). What I don't know is do we go out to the point first, then back and down the other way, or out the other way first and then up to the point? (And I know we do the out-and-backs x2.
2010-05-29 12:39 PM

Regular
BAOWOLF i tried the walk .5 run 1.5 method also and have switched to time. run 8 minutes walk 2 minutes. it seems a whole easier on my body and it is easy to keep track of. Just something for you to think about or try.

I am carrying 1 spare tube 2 cartridges with the same in SN bag. 2 bottles of infinit on x wing 1 aero water bottle and 1 bottle of water on downtube. some power gel blast and then the rest off the course.

while on my run yesterday i had a vision of me crossing the finish line and my finishing time. If that time is correct its 9 minutes faster than what i was thinking. As long i can beat 16:59:59 i will be happy.

my legs are killing me going into this last weekend of training. I have 120 mile ride and 1 hour run planned for sunday and 2.5 hour run for monday. My quads already feel like they have gone 80 miles.

I have lost 80 pounds so far so i am happy as hell about that. from 322 on 1/3/07 to 241.8 on 5/28/10. I had set a race goal of 235 so i may make it

I am now having thoughts about what to race in. I was given a DeSoto trisuit for christmas but i look like an over stuff sausage in it. However while running there is no muffin top like there is if i wear a tri top.

I am thinking aboutwearing tri shorts and tri top for swim/bike and switching to running shorts and favorite run shirt for run. I am bringing all options of clothing on the trip.

2010-05-29 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2890085

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
kkcbelle - 2010-05-29 9:24 AM

Correct. There are itty bitty undulations going out to the point, and the hill is more long than steep, but not THAT long, IMO (but where I live there are lots of hills so my perception may be skewed). What I don't know is do we go out to the point first, then back and down the other way, or out the other way first and then up to the point? (And I know we do the out-and-backs x2.

Here's a Garmin Connect for the run: http://connect.garmin.com/player/18852620

It looks like we'll be doing the smaller out & back portion first, then heading down towards the bike turnaround.  I would think that the 1st run cutoff would be around 12-13 miles, no?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 53