BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-11-14 3:24 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by melbo55

It's still scary, signing up for big races!!  Anyone care to join me in the beautiful Adirondack Region of NY?

Nice! How many times have you done this race now? 

2017 was the inaugural year for the 70.3, but I've been going up to watch the 140.6 since 2009 and have swam (have swum?) in the lake and biked the course many times.  And there's some really nice trail running to be had there as well.  I simply love the area!

2017-11-14 3:45 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by marysia83

THANK YOU!!!! everyone for all your advice, tips, and support. Sorry I could not reply sooner, I read the comments about the weather prep, just didn't get a chance to respond. I packed plenty of different clothes and accessories for different types of weather. It was not raining, the weather was just perfect (cool, no sun, no rain, no wind).

I had a blast! It was the best run I've ever done, which surprises me given my very poor training. I only had one tiny crisis before mile 25, but knew it was just one more mile, and I would manage. No blisters, no pain, no philosophical thoughts and life changing decisions My legs felt like wood yesterday, but no pain. Feeling great today as well. Apparently, my body handles longer distances much better than shorter ones... Which makes me already thinking about next challenge...

Race report will come whenever I have a moment to reflect on things. But before that, I really want to thank all of you who supported me, gave me all the advice, and words of encouragement.

So glad that you had a great run. Well done
2017-11-14 3:48 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member

It's still scary, signing up for big races!!  Anyone care to join me in the beautiful Adirondack Region of NY?

Good for you, but no... I'll pass.

2017-11-14 4:11 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

That's so fantastic!!! I can join, definitely, as a spectator and mental support... and maybe carry some water bottles...!
2017-11-14 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Nice! How many times have you done this race now? 

2017 was the inaugural year for the 70.3, but I've been going up to watch the 140.6 since 2009 and have swam (have swum?) in the lake and biked the course many times.  And there's some really nice trail running to be had there as well.  I simply love the area!

I? knew you were went Up there a lot!

PS please disregard the weird symbols Apple puts in for “i’s”. Hope the update I’ve yet to install fixes it.

2017-11-15 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Birthday, Robin!!!

2017-11-16 8:30 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I may die of cuteness! Ann-Marie's new puppy lands this weekend! Should we help her name him?

2017-11-16 8:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmkizer

I may die of cuteness! Ann-Marie's new puppy lands this weekend! Should we help her name him?

AWWWWWWW!!!!!!!  Puppies!!!!  I love the amount of puppy pictures that have shown up in our thread over the past few weeks   It looks like he should have some sort of name like Murphy or Walter...

Edited by melbo55 2017-11-16 8:50 AM
2017-11-16 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Isn't he adorable?!  The naming rules are: fancy registered name has to begin with O and contain the kennel name Bear Hug as this is the O litter, but call name can be anything.

So far in the running are: Bear Hug's Origin of the Species, call name Watson (DNA guy)or for fun, I could go with Yates which is my BIL last name ; he is a famous scientist. Bonus for this idea is mom's fancy name is Big Bang Theory, so I'd be playing off that.

I also have Bear Hug's Oval Office, call names, Truman or Theo (Roosevelt).

Bear Hug's One for the Road, call name Oskar (Blues) or Lager

Finally, Blaze in Irish is Scal pronounced just as it looks with the short a. So, fancy name is Bear Hug's On Fire.

As you can see I'm not getting much work done today!

2017-11-16 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Isn't he adorable?!  The naming rules are: fancy registered name has to begin with O and contain the kennel name Bear Hug as this is the O litter, but call name can be anything.

So far in the running are: Bear Hug's Origin of the Species, call name Watson (DNA guy)or for fun, I could go with Yates which is my BIL last name ; he is a famous scientist. Bonus for this idea is mom's fancy name is Big Bang Theory, so I'd be playing off that.

Finally, Blaze in Irish is Scal pronounced just as it looks with the short a. So, fancy name is Bear Hug's On Fire.

Zoe's kennel name is Zest. We named her Zoe and then backtracked a few weeks later and decided that her fancy name should spell ZOE so we came up with Otherworldly for the O and Enchantress for the E.  Now she's Zest Otherworldly Enchantress CGCA TKN.

Kevin sang the Kitty Song to Zoe when she was a puppy. "Soft puppy, Warm puppy, Little ball of fur, happy puppy, sleepy puppy, purr purr purr." I'm not sure that it helped her fall asleep.

I'm liking the Oskar Blues reference!

2017-11-16 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Zoe's kennel name is Zest. We named her Zoe and then backtracked a few weeks later and decided that her fancy name should spell ZOE so we came up with Otherworldly for the O and Enchantress for the E.  Now she's Zest Otherworldly Enchantress CGCA TKN.

Kevin sang the Kitty Song to Zoe when she was a puppy. "Soft puppy, Warm puppy, Little ball of fur, happy puppy, sleepy puppy, purr purr purr." I'm not sure that it helped her fall asleep.

Zoe has a real fancy name!

More big bang references -love it! Did it help Kevin feel better?!

Only thing about Oskar is it seems it is a very popular dog name right now and I don't know i want to add to the popularity! Stupid other Oskar dog owners'!

2017-11-16 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Only thing about Oskar is it seems it is a very popular dog name right now and I don't know i want to add to the popularity! Stupid other Oskar dog owners'!

Well, there is always the cop-out for the O. Bear Hug's Orlando somethingorother.

2017-11-16 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Well, there is always the cop-out for the O. Bear Hug's Orlando somethingorother.

Hmm, Bear Hug's Orlando, Can't Wait to Move to the Mountains. It's got a nice ring to it

2017-11-16 10:20 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hmm, Bear Hug's Orlando, Can't Wait to Move to the Mountains. It's got a nice ring to it

I got nothing to help you with the name. There are billions of dogs around here with the name Oskar. and a bunch of other beer references. The cuteness is overwhelming!!

2017-11-16 10:37 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

I got nothing to help you with the name. There are billions of dogs around here with the name Oskar. and a bunch of other beer references. The cuteness is overwhelming!!

Olympic

Oddfellow / Odd Fellow

Overdrive

Over the Moon

2017-11-16 12:34 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Ozark?  Ollie?   Oliver?  I was going to suggest Oskar, too, until you mentioned you know a lot of other canine Oskars.

2017-11-16 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Ozark?  Ollie?   Oliver?  I was going to suggest Oskar, too, until you mentioned you know a lot of other canine Oskars.

that's part of the trouble, a lot of the names I like are already friends' dogs - Like Ollie/Oliver. 

Only his fancy kennel name has to start with an O his call name can be any letter.

He may look like a Bubba

2017-11-16 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

that's part of the trouble, a lot of the names I like are already friends' dogs - Like Ollie/Oliver. 

Only his fancy kennel name has to start with an O his call name can be any letter.

He may look like a Bubba

I keep on wanting to Charlie him but your mom's dog might not like that.  Bear Hug's Overdrive Goodtime Charlie (yeah, too many letters). Bear Hug's Olympic/Ozark Bubba :-D Bear Hugs Orwellian Rocky.

2017-11-16 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

He may look like a Bubba

I keep on wanting to Charlie him but your mom's dog might not like that.  Bear Hug's Overdrive Goodtime Charlie (yeah, too many letters). Bear Hug's Olympic/Ozark Bubba :-D Bear Hugs Orwellian Rocky.

The Ocoee River runs through WNC and TN. The whitewater competition for the Atlanta Games was held there. That's a decent O word to work in. Kind of outdoorsy/adventurous.

2017-11-16 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

He may look like a Bubba

The Ocoee River runs through WNC and TN. The whitewater competition for the Atlanta Games was held there. That's a decent O word to work in. Kind of outdoorsy/adventurous.

hmm, that’s interesting ; I’ll have to give it some thought! And you’re right, one Charlie in the family is enough!

2017-11-16 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

He may look like a Bubba

hmm, that’s interesting ; I’ll have to give it some thought! And you’re right, one Charlie in the family is enough!

Names like Bubba: http://www.whiskeyriff.com/2016/09/19/the-124-most-redneck-southern-hillbilly-names-you-can-have/

This include Billy Bob, Buck, Chester, Owen, Roscoe, Walker...

Actually, I like the name of the URL. He could be a Whiskey. Not that I'm a whiskey drinker but Bear Hug's Old Time Whiskey and Rye or something?

2017-11-16 1:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

He may look like a Bubba

Names like Bubba: http://www.whiskeyriff.com/2016/09/19/the-124-most-redneck-southern-hillbilly-names-you-can-have/

This include Billy Bob, Buck, Chester, Owen, Roscoe, Walker...

Actually, I like the name of the URL. He could be a Whiskey. Not that I'm a whiskey drinker but Bear Hug's Old Time Whiskey and Rye or something?

that is a good url name.  i thought of whiskey in my one for the road idiom. now you whiskey and rye suggestion has me singing American Pie!

ETA: I may have found the name - Bear Hug's Over Yonder, call name Bubba!  I'll need to think about it a bit as i am on puppy name finding overload.

Edited by amd723 2017-11-16 2:13 PM
2017-11-16 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Goodness...advantage of rescue shelter and pre-owned cats--they come with names attached! Smudgee is Smudgee, because he has lots of smudges in his coat, on his face, even on his nose. Tomoko is one of the "Japanese" litter (there's a naming theme for every shelter litter). She has brothers named Sushi and Ramen, among others, and a sister named Sadako. She's apparently named for an anime character, because she has really big round eyes like that cartoon style. No fancy names here. "Tomoko of Saigon Alley" maybe. Or "Smudgee of friend's mom-cat who escaped before spaying and got knocked up by a colleague's big tomcat from Burma"?

Good luck with the naming!
2017-11-16 4:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

He may look like a Bubba

How many letters are you allowed? Here we can only have 30 including the kennel name and spaces but I thought that you were allowed more in the US.
2017-11-16 5:06 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
So we have finally finished the round of vet hopping to find out what is wrong with Coco. 6 trips to 3 different vets in 4 days is kind of stressful for both us and Coco.

It turns out that the deformed discs in her spine aren't a problem as her body is growing new bone and stabilising them itself (amazingly). The specialist vets (2of them) are almost certain that she has had a Fibrocartilaginous Embolism, which in normal people language is a mini stroke inside her spinal cord. This causes blockages to the nerves and results in paralysis. Thankfully for Coco only one of her rear legs is affected but that's still very tough for a dog the weighs nearly 90kg (200lb).

There is no "treatment" as such but thankfully in around 90% of cases the body creates new neural pathways and the paralysis resolves itself with little side effects. So for now it's just a matter of rest and passive range of motion physio exersices and then they will reassess in 2 weeks. Then based on my Dr Googling some vets seem to have had improved success with acupuncture and laser light therapy so we will do some more research into that and contact the "alternate therapy" vet that we normally use.

Unfortunately they couldn't give us a totally definitive diagnosis because the only way to do that is via an MRI and there is not an "animal" one on this side of the country that Coco will fit in. The vet was saying that they used to smuggle large dogs into the private hospital facilities under drapes through the back doors but the Health Department found out about it and put a stop to it. And for some reason despite the large horse population in the state no-one has a horse sized MRI machine. Sadly I guess when horses get this lame they don't get treated.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44