of 220

2009-12-15 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2560243

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - CLOSED!
GOALS & RACES

Many of you already have races picked out for 2010, please list them on your TL at the top. If you're unsure of actual races put place holders like 'Sprint in late June' and fill in later. In addition a section that lists goals is very helpful. 

If you look at my TL you'll see a goals and completed section so I know what I need to focus on right now and what I've done in the past.  There is also something to be said about making a goal public... Once it's out in the open for everyone to see you will have a much better chance of reaching your goal because you will be driven more by knowing others are watching AND the rest of the group will know what you're trying to achieve.

It's best to break down major goals (normally races) into parts example being my last race, Longhorn, my focus was on bike power and weight. Your goals should be a tough challenge yet reachable and something you control.  I'm not a fan of goals like 'win my AG'... it's not under your control who shows up to race you that day.  What is under your control is your performance so instead of 'win AG', research what that takes and create a race plan that will get you there.  If you hit that time come race day and someone beat you the race is still a success. If your goal is to finish a race, what do you need most work on to finish?

You may have heard of the expression train your weakness, race your strength... Being that it's off-season for most of us your focus now more than ever should be your weakness. For me my weakness is running, I will create goals in the next couple days that will give me milestones that I can follow to reach my ultimate goal of running faster. I would suggest that each of you do the same, if you need help creating some goals just post your weakness and we'll get some goals lined out...

2009-12-15 2:21 PM
in reply to: #2558074

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
Subject: thomas/ golfpro info
NAME: Thomas / golfproSTORY: A couple of years ago a good friend of mine (another BT’er) got me interested in triathlons. I did a little research on it and found it challenging. I signed up for a sprint within a week after talking to him, which left me with four weeks to train (Sept. ’08). I survived the swim having no time on the pool what so ever and relying solely on the weight training of my upper body using P90x. I bought a hybrid bike (mistake!) and started running without any hesitation and disregard to my failing and quite abused knees. After the race, I was hooked! I got home after the race and immediately signed up for a HIM – Rev3tri in Quassy (June ’09). I did the training the best that I could but I did not follow the training schedule and nutrition as I should have and consequently, suffered throughout the race. The two hardest for me were running (not putting enough time) and nutrition (ended up with GI issues).FAMILY STATUS: Married and going strong on 20 years. I have two boys- one a senior in HS-18 yrs old, my youngest is a junior in HS, and he is 16.CURRENT TRAINING: I have been in training and building my base using one of the BT programs and started in late October.2009 RACES: HIM Rev3Tri @ Lake Quassy in Connecticut (June) and the MarshMan Spring (Sept).2010 RACES: My big race for the year is the Full Ironman in Louisville (Aug). I have not finalized the rest of the schedule but I am planning on The Garden Spot Village Marathon (April), Two 70.3’s. March and in April, A couple of bike races in early spring. In the fall either a 70.3 or Savageman HIM.WEIGHTLOSS: Now, I am just trying to stay at the current weight. I am sure as training intensifies, weight will fall off.p.s- someone tell me how to change the name (I want to change email to a screen name ???)

Edited by [email protected] 2009-12-15 2:25 PM
2009-12-15 2:25 PM

User image

Pro
NJ

Thanks for letting me in!  This looks like a terrific group.  Here's the bio:

Name:  KimC 

Story:  Grew up riding horses competitively (Emmanem, we should trade notes.  It was a long time ago for me, but I remember how hard it was to go to college and leave my big guys at home in the barn for my sister to ride.)  After college, got busy with career stuff and never moved beyond being a gym rat.  Discovered my "inner athlete" in my mid 40s.  On a dare, I signed up for my first tri but had to overcome the fact that I really couldn't swim.  I did a weekend Total Immersion TI clinic and gained enough confidence to give it a shot.  Bought a bike and that was it.  I'm hooked.  I'm slowly building base for running, but have struggled with injuries.  Plantar Fasciitis and Patello-Femoral syndrome.  The Princess Feet are under control thanks to lots of stretching and good orthotics.  The knee is an ongoing challenge. 

I work fairly long hours and travel quite a bit, often internationally.  I find that swimming and biking when I'm out of town can be a challenge.  I'm frequently in Europe, and the hotels don't usually have pools or gyms so those weeks are run focused.  Most of my training is early in the morning.  I'm usually up and out the door before 5am. 

Family Status:   Single.  Two cool cats.  One is a dog trapped in a cat's body...poor thing.  Lots of supportive friends to train and race with.

Current Training:  Slowly building my run base back up after a knee issue a month ago.  I have a half marathon in February.  Swimming 3-4 days a week.  Strength training 2 days a week and will ease back into running 3 days over the next few weeks.  Bike is on the trainer, but I've not been on the bike for a while. 

2009 Races:  2 Sprints, 2 Olys, 1 half-mary, lots of 5 & 10ks.

2010 Races:  So far, 2-3 Sprints, 2 Olys, 2-3 half-marys, NYC Marathon (please let me be lucky in the lotteryKiss)  I'll add more as I get closer to spring.  I really want to do a HIM, but it may be 2011.  My swim is still so slow that I'm afraid I might not make the cut-off.   I see there a couple of NYC dwellars in the group.  I live in NJ and come into NYC for NYRR races in CP fairly often.  I love running in CP.

Weightloss:  None, at least for now.  Hopefully I feel the same after the holidays.

What will make me a good mentee?  I'm disciplined and eager to learn.  I'm not afraid to ask the dumb question (I've been in a few groups previously and the mentors can attest to that).  I like to share what I've learned with others but most of all I enjoy the camradarie of these groups and seeing everyone reach their goals.

Really look forward to getting to know everyone in the group!

2009-12-15 2:27 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Here's my Bio - a little late, but that's just me in general:

NAME: Gofaster / Neil

STORY:
I have no real background in sports, except for playing hockey as a kid.  I got into Triathlon in 2007 with a Try a Tri, and in 2008 did a few Sprint races.  In 2009 I moved up to the next level and did some Sprints, plus an Olympic, and the season ended with the Muskoka 70.3.

Unfortunately, I got injured during the run in Muskoka, and it turned out to be an ITB issue.  I’ve been dealing with this for the past 3 months, and am currently stuck running a maximum of 20 minutes at a time.  Since running is my strength, this has led to a lot of frustration since I can’t really run at the moment.

This year I’d like to return to do another ½ Ironman, but this all depends on being able to run the way I’d like to.  I’d also like to really improve my biking and swimming, since I’m MOP on the bike and BOP in the swim.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, with two terrors for kids.  A 5 year old boy, and 1 year old girl (but they’re great).

CURRENT TRAINING: Swimming is my weakness so I’m currently trying to improve in the water.  It would be nice to get faster, but more important is I would like to see some better fitness that should let me bike and run better, rather than feeling exhausted getting into T1.

I’m currently riding the trainer 3x a week (I have a Tacx I-Magic which I love), and would like to bump that up to 4 sessions, but never seem to find the time.

2009 RACES: 3 Sprints, 1 Olympic, and a ½ Ironman.

2010 RACES:  Currently registered for a ½ Marathon in May, which is part of the frustration since I’m looking to rebuild my run base at the moment.  I’m planning to do a ½ Ironman next year as well, although this plan is on hold till I get the ITB issue sorted, along with a couple of Sprints and perhaps an Olympic.

WEIGHTLOSS: Not lose more weight.  At 6’, I’m typically tipping the scales at between 155-160 lbs.  Before I started Tri training I was just under 175 lbs.

Other notes:  Pre-New Years resolution is to start logging all my workouts again.  I’ve become a little complacent about doing this in 2009.

2009-12-15 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2560490

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: thomas/ golfpro info
2009-12-15 7:51 PM
in reply to: #2559222

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - OPEN!

gavisk - Where in Denver are you?  Most of my family is up there.  Mom lives in Englewood, brother in Denver - works in Cherry Creek and my Grandpa lives in Longmonth.  Both of my parents are from there and I lived there for a little while when I was a kid.

Hi,
I'm right in the middle of Denver, near City Park.  That's where I do a lot of my runs.  Longmont seems to be a place through which a number of triathletes and competitive cyclists ride.  High altitude, flat and fast.

2009-12-15 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2559478

User image

Veteran

I actually live in SW MO just north of Springfield.  Just wish I lived in STL...

In which town?  I was born and raised in Springfield--escaped as soon as possible.
2009-12-15 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2561074

User image

Veteran
gavisk - 2009-12-15 7:55 PM

I actually live in SW MO just north of Springfield.  Just wish I lived in STL...

In which town?  I was born and raised in Springfield--escaped as soon as possible.

I am in Bolivar.  No escape in sight.  My family and the wife's family are here.  Lots of babysitters though!
2009-12-15 8:06 PM
in reply to: #2561101

User image

Veteran

I am in Bolivar.  No escape in sight.  My family and the wife's family are here.  Lots of babysitters though!

Ah yes, I know Bolivar well.  Believe me, if I had kids I'd be right back there where the babysitters (parents) live.
2009-12-15 8:31 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Ugh, I just got my on call schedule for most of 2010 and they were inconsiderate enough to schedule me for on when I was planning on doing my Olympic, which was my lead in to the Half.  I guess it is not a huge deal but I was using it as a confidence booster, mostly for the swim.  I'll have to find another race before that or just bag it.  

Edited by bzgl40 2009-12-15 8:31 PM
2009-12-15 9:24 PM
in reply to: #2561150

User image

Veteran
Man that sucks.  I feel your pain with the on-call garbage (I work in IT).  Luckily, we are pretty flexible and can almost always trade weeks.

Bright side is you know this far ahead of time and can (maybe) plan around it. 

2009-12-15 9:46 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
I'm in IT as well (DBA).  I would normally shift it around as we are all pretty flexible but this time I am training someone as well so I would have to shift 4 people.  Probably not worth it. 
2009-12-16 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2560490

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Subject: RE: thomas/ golfpro info
[email protected] - 2009-12-15 2:21 PM
NAME: Thomas / golfpro
STORY: A couple of years ago a good friend of mine (another BT’er) got me interested in triathlons. I did a little research on it and found it challenging. I signed up for a sprint within a week after talking to him, which left me with four weeks to train (Sept. ’08). I survived the swim having no time on the pool what so ever and relying solely on the weight training of my upper body using P90x. I bought a hybrid bike (mistake!) and started running without any hesitation and disregard to my failing and quite abused knees. After the race, I was hooked! I got home after the race and immediately signed up for a HIM – Rev3tri in Quassy (June ’09). I did the training the best that I could but I did not follow the training schedule and nutrition as I should have and consequently, suffered throughout the race. The two hardest for me were running (not putting enough time) and nutrition (ended up with GI issues).
FAMILY STATUS: Married and going strong on 20 years. I have two boys- one a senior in HS-18 yrs old, my youngest is a junior in HS, and he is 16.
CURRENT TRAINING: I have been in training and building my base using one of the BT programs and started in late October.
2009 RACES: HIM Rev3Tri @ Lake Quassy in Connecticut (June) and the MarshMan Spring (Sept).2010 RACES: My big race for the year is the Full Ironman in Louisville (Aug). I have not finalized the rest of the schedule but I am planning on The Garden Spot Village Marathon (April), Two 70.3’s. March and in April, A couple of bike races in early spring. In the fall either a 70.3 or Savageman HIM.WEIGHTLOSS: Now, I am just trying to stay at the current weight. I am sure as training intensifies, weight will fall off.p.s- someone tell me how to change the name (I want to change email to a screen name ???)

Email the BT support guy and ask to change it to whatever.  Let us know the change so we can change it in the friends thingy.  Go to support and send a message. 
2009-12-16 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2561150

User image

Master
Houston
That stinks! I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet, there are other options to an Olympic before the HIM.  I have some athletes that aren't able to fit in an Olympic beforehand and instead they do a 'big day' where they swim ~2000m straight, rest ~1hr, bike 50mi, rest ~1hr, run ~90mins all in one day.  The distances vary based on the person but that's the general gist. It helps go through the transitions, nutrition and pacing for the race. Its good to also hit up sprints before the HIM, you don't want the HIM to be your first race of the year...

bzgl40 - 2009-12-15 8:31 PM Ugh, I just got my on call schedule for most of 2010 and they were inconsiderate enough to schedule me for on when I was planning on doing my Olympic, which was my lead in to the Half.  I guess it is not a huge deal but I was using it as a confidence booster, mostly for the swim.  I'll have to find another race before that or just bag it.  
2009-12-16 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2561743

User image

Master
Houston
My background generally attracts quite a few swim questions so lets get to it... what questions do you have about swimming? Technique, training, problems whatever is on your mind...
2009-12-16 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2561743

User image

Master
New York, NY
I totally agree with Eric!!  Before my first HIM I did a "rehearsal day" with ~ 45 min swim, ~ 1hr rest, 50 mi bike and ~ 11/12 mi run.  This was especially helpful in practicing my race day nutrition.  I found this to be more helpful than adding in an oly race.

evondo - 2009-12-16 9:30 AM That stinks! I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet, there are other options to an Olympic before the HIM.  I have some athletes that aren't able to fit in an Olympic beforehand and instead they do a 'big day' where they swim ~2000m straight, rest ~1hr, bike 50mi, rest ~1hr, run ~90mins all in one day.  The distances vary based on the person but that's the general gist. It helps go through the transitions, nutrition and pacing for the race. Its good to also hit up sprints before the HIM, you don't want the HIM to be your first race of the year...

bzgl40 - 2009-12-15 8:31 PM Ugh, I just got my on call schedule for most of 2010 and they were inconsiderate enough to schedule me for on when I was planning on doing my Olympic, which was my lead in to the Half.  I guess it is not a huge deal but I was using it as a confidence booster, mostly for the swim.  I'll have to find another race before that or just bag it.  

2009-12-16 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2561773

User image

Master
Houston
In addition to asking for questions... Please post what a normal swim workout is like for you including sets if you do them and speeds if you know them. I tried to look for workouts on some of your TLs but some of you haven't been in the water in a while

evondo - 2009-12-16 8:39 AM My background generally attracts quite a few swim questions so lets get to it... what questions do you have about swimming? Technique, training, problems whatever is on your mind...
2009-12-16 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2561773

User image

Pro
Houston
evondo - 2009-12-16 8:39 AM My background generally attracts quite a few swim questions so lets get to it... what questions do you have about swimming? Technique, training, problems whatever is on your mind...

Ok, here's mine - When going for a long swim ie loop at the lake, I can start out breathing bi-laterally and/or breathing less often (every 4 strokes).  However, I notice pretty quickly that when I breathe bi-laterally it exhausts me much faster.  I naturally breathe on my left, it is very comfortable for me but when I go to breathe on my right it feels like my body sinks lower and it takes more energy.  I can only do it for the first 400 or so and then I can only breathe on my left if I want to maintain a decent rythm to get me through.

Is this something that will get better with time/practice?  What am I doing wrong that my body sinks when I breathe on my right?  As I think about this I realize that when I breathe on the right my left arm/shoulder feel like they are working HARD.  Does that make sense?

In other words just tell me breathing bi-laterally isn't important and I can simply breathe only on my left for the rest of my swimming/tri career and I won't have any neck/shoulder issues to show for it, k?
2009-12-16 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2561792

User image

Pro
Houston
evondo - 2009-12-16 8:46 AM In addition to asking for questions... Please post what a normal swim workout is like for you including sets if you do them and speeds if you know them. I tried to look for workouts on some of your TLs but some of you haven't been in the water in a while

You're calling me out already?  It's only day TWO!  And, and, and it's cold outside! 
2009-12-16 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2561792

User image

Payson, AZ
evondo - 2009-12-16 6:46 AM In addition to asking for questions... Please post what a normal swim workout is like for you including sets if you do them and speeds if you know them. I tried to look for workouts on some of your TLs but some of you haven't been in the water in a while

Sets???  I sadly just go swim.  I was trying to do some sort of sets for a bit, where I would do a nice easy warm up doing kick board for like 200, catchups for 200, then trying to do a speed set, but my form goes to hell when I get to speed sets so I have gone back to my "let's go swim for 45 mins set".  Course once I join masters all my fun goes out the door and I'll be doing sets.

One of my big form problems is when I rotate to breath.  I bi-lateral breath but I think I have my rotation all wrong.  When I rotate my lead arm starts to sink right away.  I try and do some balancing drills but so far it's not coming together.  I finally got it such that my legs don't sink, which is a new improvement for me so I am stoked about that.

2009-12-16 9:01 AM

User image

KimC & Neil... running injuries suck to n'th degree.  I have been fortunate enough to have not suffered the major ones like PF or ITBS, but even the minor ones are extremely frustrating when running is your strength.  Is there any one event (speed session, hill work, long run, or cumulative - ie over use) that you know or believe caused the injury?

Good job on the stretching.  What other strategies have you used for recovery and/or treatment? (foam roller, ice baths, meds, Dr's care or physical therapy)

I have become an advocate for good warmdown stretching and recovery wear (tights/socks) after hard sessions (wether they be long runs or high intensity sessions, like speed sets/hill repeats). 
I do not use one - although I have heard nothing but awesome things about the foam rollers for treating and preventing injuries.

Good luck to both of you with dealing with these injuries and I hope y'all are able to recover and run healthy for 2010.

Edited by Trin2bfast 2009-12-16 9:22 AM

2009-12-16 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2561793

User image

KeriKadi - 2009-12-16 8:47 AM In other words just tell me breathing bi-laterally isn't important and I can simply breathe only on my left for the rest of my swimming/tri career and I won't have any neck/shoulder issues to show for it, k?

EvD may say differently, but.... it isn't important! see, now that was easy. Ha Ha! Swim on! But then again, that's why I am not a swim coach either. 

Seriously though, I have tried the bilateral breathing thing in training and can do it in a training environment... but you put 100+ fellow swimmers around me and that all goes out the window.  I know it helps balance your stroke, swim muscles, and can help when you get into swim situations where breathing only to your left is blocked by wind, waves & other swimmers.  BUT ~ if it is causing discomfort & fatigue... you are likely not going to continue it under fire.  Keep focusing on the other aspects of your swim technique and revisit that as you become more effecient elsewhere in the swim.
2009-12-16 9:16 AM

Veteran
back of the pack

Swim...
I thought I could swim before I started training, turns out I was wrong, so very very wrong...
I can swim from the boat to shore or after my kid in the wading pool.

My first swim consisted of me somehow locomoting from one end of the pool to the other a couple of times. I could not keep my arms in plane, they rippled through the water in a most unco-ordinated manner, my legs were all over the place and I forgot how to breath.

I did not die that day.

My second was a little better same distance but not quite as uncoordinated thanks to a couple of youtube videos.

last one was good. I am not focusing on stroke or breathing, just get the distance in, All is done head out of the water, one less thing to focus on. the first 2 lengths are just arm frontcrawl with my legs crossed. then whip kick to rest and catch breath with 25m of sculling before going through it again.

My kick and breath are what I feel are my weakest areas, any pointers would be great.

Dan.

2009-12-16 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2561901

User image

loeber - 2009-12-16 9:16 AM Swim...
I thought I could swim before I started training, turns out I was wrong, so very very wrong...

I was way over confident going into my first tri-swim... A local sprint here Silverlake 400m OWS - wetsuit legal...  I had been swimming all my life (although not in any competitive form). I was a lifeguard my freshman/sophmore yrs of HS, was WSQ & a scout swimmer in the Marines... and I even felt pretty strong in my swim training... BUT ~ that first time swim with others, trying to sight, the restrictiveness of a swim wetsuit.... What a wake up call that was!  I was one of the last out of the water, eyes like saucers, with that wtf? look on my face... my wife was like wtf?  I revisted my training, not quite a yr later I met our mentor (evondo) and things have drastically improved.  I contribute much of my improvement to the small hints, tweaks, and recommended drills he has laid out.  Now I am not a FOP swimmer... but I am fairly solid MOP'er and looking to steadily move up.

BTW, swimming with evondo in open water, or other uber swimmers, is a lot like running with a Kenyan on a marathon course... it's truly amazing to witness that kind of speed with such little perceived effort. 
2009-12-16 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2561852

User image

Pro
NJ
Trin2bfast - 2009-12-16 10:01 AM KimC & Neil... running injuries suck to n'th degree.  I have been fortunate enough to have not suffered the major ones like PF or ITBS, but even the minro ones are extremely frustrating when running is your strength.  Is there any one event that (speed session, hill work, long run, or cumulative - ie over use) that you know or believe caused the injury?

Good job on the stretching.  What other strategies have you used for recovery and/or treatment? (foam roller, ice baths, meds, Dr's care or physical therapy)

I have become an advocate for good warmdown stretching and recovery wear (tights/socks) after hard sessions (wether they be long runs or high intensity sessions, like speed sets/hill repeats). 
I do not use one - although I have heard nothing but awesome things about the foam rollers for treating and preventing injuries.

Good luck to both of you with dealing with these injuries and I hope y'all are able to recover and run healthy for 2010.

I think I've tried everything short of surgery.  I've managed to keep the plantar fasciitis under control with custom orthotics and lots of stretching.  The initial flare up was 3 years ago and was precipitated by, of all things, a work trip to Spain where I was walking a great deal...on cobblestone streets...and in very high heels.  My shoe style has regretably shifted from Prada to Practical but I haven't had a problem in a while now. 

The patello-femoral problem is my current nemesis.  I've seen a physiatrist (non surgical orthopedist) who specializes in sports medicine and is a biker/runner.  He's told me the problem is common on women (Q angle of femur due to wider pelvis).  X-rays were normal, with some minor arthritis typical for my age.  No MRI as of yet. I never did any strength training prior and he has me doing that as PT on my own.  Usually the flare up happens on my long runs at about mile 5.  Last time it was on a planned 10 mile run - out and back.   I didn't have a phone, so it was long 5 mile walk home. Yell I've had it happen on both knees.  Left one is the current grump.  Other contributing factors, according to the doc and what I've read on-line, height and slow pace:  5'10", 10:30 pace would be fast for me.   I have been careful about not ramping up mileage too quickly. I've run longer than 5 miles when training for an oly or half marathon and have typically followed Hal Higdon's novice plan.  Last flare up was in November just prior to a planned half. I must admit though I was slacking on the strength training.  I now ice both knees after every run.  Previously ice bathed after runs longer than 9 miles.  I have a foam roller but haven't used for this.  Any advice is very welcome.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 220