BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 85

2013-03-08 1:12 PM
in reply to: #4652170

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED

GO Racing Manatees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 9-10
Chad - Lake Sammamish Half Marathon on Saturday
Salty - Lake Sammamish Half Marathon on Saturday
Brie - Smuttynose Palooza 5K  on Satudray
JoGo - Corktown 5k
Erin - City of Peoria Half Marathon on Sunday

Woot woot, I am going to meet  half that list IN PERSON in the next month and a half!!! I am a lucky girl!!!!!!!!

2013-03-08 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4652176

User image

Seattle
jmkizer - 2013-03-08 1:08 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-08 2:00 PM

It appears as though we don't have our trusty racer/injury/whatever else list. Sooo who is all racing? I know Chad and I are doing a HM tomorrow! 

I'm doing it as a no-taper tune up B race for Boston, working out my race plan now.

I was waiting to hear back from Jo about her calf strain.

Ah ha! I thought you might just be busy

2013-03-08 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
jmkizer - 2013-03-08 2:07 PM

Racing Manatees

March 9-10
JoGo - Corktown 5k

Disabled list:
Kirsten - Achilles, recovering!
Jonathan TX - ITB, recovering!
Yanti - cracked rib, sore arm
Jo - calf strain
Felicia - under the weather
Darren - under the weather

Good health vibes heading to all injured or sick Manatees!  Get off the list!

Streakers!
Jo
TJ
Salty (kinda)

Welcome to Erin's new bike and Jonathan AK's new puppy!

March 10 is Michael's birthday

Awesome stuff, enjoy the racing and GOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Happy Birthday Michael!

2013-03-08 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4651276

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Me with my tri bike when it was new (Dec 2010)

Edited by jmkizer 2013-03-08 1:40 PM

(New Felt 2010.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
New Felt 2010.jpg (55KB - 4 downloads)
2013-03-08 1:44 PM

User image

Master
jmkizer - 2013-03-08 11:07 AM

Racing Manatees

March 9-10
JoGo - Corktown 5k

Disabled list:
Jo - calf strain

Streakers!
Jo
TJ
Salty (kinda)

Wow, Janyne, that is fantastic.  List maker extraordinaire!

Gooooo racing Manatees!  Happy Birthday Michael!

2013-03-08 1:52 PM

User image

Elite
Four pages as I slept...calf strain still feel it but it run walks ok. I was out with the tri club all very nice saying I can do this IM and its brought me down coz guess what I can't.

2013-03-08 1:58 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
jmkizer - 2013-03-08 2:07 PM

Racing Manatees

March 9-10
JoGo - Corktown 5k

Disabled list:
Jo - calf strain

Streakers!
Jo
TJ
Salty (kinda)

Janyne, you've outdone yourself yet again, nice work!  

Anxious to hear the write-ups on the HMs especially, but the 5Ks, too.  GOOOOO MANATEEEEEES!!!

2013-03-08 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4652185

User image

Extreme Veteran
Asalzwed - 2013-03-08 2:12 PM

March 9-10
JoGo - Corktown 5k

Woot woot, I am going to meet  half that list IN PERSON in the next month and a half!!! I am a lucky girl!!!!!!!!

Look out people, she's Boston bound! Woohooo! 

Good thing you are not coming now, because the "all rain" storm turned into 12-20 inches of snow.  Good on ya, meteorologists.  Why can't we bring malpractice claims against them? I reasonably relied on their expertise and they gave me the WORST advising.

2013-03-08 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4652301

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

jobaxas - 2013-03-08 2:52 PM Four pages as I slept...calf strain still feel it but it run walks ok. I was out with the tri club all very nice saying I can do this IM and its brought me down coz guess what I can't.

Don't let these thought bring you down.

Do get on your bike -- outside! Clips, no clips, who cares?  Just do it!

in reply to: #4652014

User image

Pennsylvania
ArielLIlB - 2013-03-08 12:58 PM

I know we were talking about how much we all hate cancer (obvi) so I just wanted to point everyone's attention to the following:

Potential sequestration cuts to NIH and NCI cancer funding

There are a bajillion places to cut the budget, but funding for cancer research is not one of them.  One the website that I've linked, there is a place to put in your zip code and send a message to your Congress reps.  it's a pancreatic cancer action network site, so they focus on pancreatic cancer in their message, but it still applies to any cancer research.

This cause is near and dear to my heart, as I lost both my parents to cancer (brain, pancreatic).  Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of my dad's death, so this news is particularly upsetting.

Thank you!!

Thanks for the info, Brie.  Tomorrow, run for your dad, your mom, and those who are stricken with that ugly d*mn disease.  I wish you well on the anniversary. ((hugs))  Emails have been sent to congress and reps.

Edited by melbo55 2013-03-08 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4651694

User image

Elite
TriAya - 2013-03-09 2:34 AM
Muskrat37 - 2013-03-08 11:24 PM

Guilty Pleasure Songs... so many to chose from.  

Taylor Swift (anything by her, but I hate that new slow one)

Katy Perry - I kissed a girl (do I really need to explain?)

Bruno Mars - (not sure why I like this dudes music so much)

A few more I can't think of right now....  I think I'm heading out of my country phase, and back into rock / blues again.  Getting tired of the same songs over and over.  

What I am riding this year (and for many years to come):

My Baby (toe clips have been replaced) 

She is a beauty! Love the paint.

I don't always see a fat person in the mirror now, but I think we often see in the mirror what we FEEL and perceive, not what's actually there. Honestly it's the same thing with other people--incredibly beautiful fit people get ugly real fast if they behave poorly.

depends on my mood. Often if I've had a good training session I see newJo if I've been a bit slack or a bit down I see Ugly Kid Jo!!!

2013-03-08 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4651730

User image

Elite
Richardsdrr - 2013-03-09 2:47 AM

Poorly FinleyJanyne, ref inspire about food poisoning. I think you maybe correct, it may be flu/bug. My boy has been sent home from play school Not good.

that is the best pic ever.
2013-03-08 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4652316

User image

Seattle
ArielLIlB - 2013-03-08 1:59 PM

March 9-10
JoGo - Corktown 5k

Good thing you are not coming now, because the "all rain" storm turned into 12-20 inches of snow.  Good on ya, meteorologists.  Why can't we bring malpractice claims against them? I reasonably relied on their expertise and they gave me the WORST advising.

I'll bring my snowshoes a raft and my bikini. Then I will be ready for anything.

2013-03-08 2:09 PM
in reply to: #4652335

User image

Extreme Veteran
Asalzwed - 2013-03-08 3:06 PM
ArielLIlB - 2013-03-08 1:59 PM

March 9-10
JoGo - Corktown 5k

I'll bring my snowshoes a raft and my bikini. Then I will be ready for anything.

Now THAT's planning ahead. Tongue out

2013-03-08 4:46 PM
in reply to: #4652079

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
amd723 - 2013-03-08 5:25 PM
Richardsdrr - 2013-03-08 7:17 AM

Hi.

I have some good news and bad news. I went to see my physio' again yesterday, and he finally gave me the all clear on my patellar tracking issues Laughing. It seems my inner quads have now become stronger and also my connective tissue has started to get tougher. Therefore, I have been discharged and am free to injure myself now (kidding). The bad news was that I asked him about a "niggle" I experience whilst biking outside. Turns out I've torn my hamstring Cry, so no cycling for me and plenty of those horrible hamstring stretched that make your legs wobble for a bit until it heals. At least it doesn't affect me getting out and running/swimming though.

Chris: Bacon, how do I eat mine? Draped over succulent chicken breast, smothered in BBQ sauce with loads of Caerphilly cheese melted over. Mmmmmmm Laughing

Bike, will be using a 2nd hand Specialized Elite for this year with a view of upgrading next year. Triathlon is soooooo expensive. There are just too many things to spend money on. 

On another note, thought you'd be interested in this show: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r0fv3

It's the only country music show I get to hear over here. The choice of music this week was very varied and good. Really liking The Old Crow Medicine Show at the moment. You may have to skip through the news (about 5 mins), but then you're onto ad free music

Note: The volume on the player goes all the way up to 11, someone's nod to Spinal Tap LOL

Salty: Ref SXSW, I heard a guy on the radio that sounded real good that will be playing at Austin.
http://frank-turner.com/blog/upcoming-gigs/

Taster of what type of music they play:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_RbNdwY4ujw

Yanti, hope you heal soon

To continue on with the music thread, I wondered what everyone's guilty pleasure song was. You know, the one you really shouldn't admit to liking, but you can't help singing when it comes on the radio I think that may tell more about us than we'd care to say LOL. 
  My guilty pleasure is Erasure, Give a little respect :D 

A couple of things jumped out at me from your post:

1.  how can you run with a torn hamstring?  I hope you can, but in my experience with hamstring issues, running is really painful.  Good luck and heal quickly.

2.  this may be the most important point.  Unless your "bacon" is different from the "bacon" I was served in Ireland and England, you don't have bacon, you have ham.  It is good, but it is not BACON Smile  you need a trip to the states to see the difference!

1. I pulled my hamstring whilst on a long bike ride 2 weeks ago, it hurt like buggery then, but I was still able to go for a 15.5 mile run the day after. I only tend to notice it when biking now, during the bottom part of the pedal stroke where you "scrape" the shoe. It hurt bad when I hung my leg over the end of the bed and the pt held it still whilst I tried pulling the leg in. He's aid I had a minor tear at the base of the hamstring, so perhaps it's the position of the tear that allows me to still run. I ride a motorcycle to work and back each night and find that when my leg has been held in the hunched up riding position that I can't straighten my leg out in order to stop the bike from falling without considerable pain. 2. Unlike the USA, we in the UK have different types of BACON. The Bacon you had on your visit was more than likely back bacon, cut from the loin, possibly unsmoked and uncured. If you wanted American bacon you should have asked for belly/streaky bacon. Streaky doesn't get used for breakfast in the UK, we prefer( or I should say, it is more normal) for us to use the leaner back bacon for that and keep the streaky bacon for using in recipes to wrap meat, ie around apple and pork sausages, or pancetta around chorizo etc. I have visited America (central and north, south perhaps when the kids have flown the nest),in fact I was in Salty and Skrats territory when I sang at the inauguration ball of the US of A's first senator of Asian decent, but that's another story, and have tried a large amount of American fair whilst there, but I would never dream as being so arrogant or dismissive to suggest that the Streaky Bacon you called Bacon was not really proper Bacon,but rather different Bacon Let the war of the bacon begin :D
2013-03-08 5:20 PM

User image

Master
I just now stopped running around since 8:30 this morning. Made coffee and ate my oatmeal and read a bit of pod news. Then the craziness of organizing a last minute snow trip began. My kids don't have cold weather clothing, let alone snow clothes. Visited friends to borrow kid stuff. Met DH at lunch. Went to four stores to get missing items. Started packing and dug out my gear...lift pass from 2003 still attached :/ Diaper bag ready, complete with snacks and drinks. All this for one day of freezing fun.

2013-03-08 5:54 PM
in reply to: #4652605

User image

Master
Orlando
Richardsdrr - 2013-03-08 4:46 PM
amd723 - 2013-03-08 5:25 PM
Richardsdrr - 2013-03-08 7:17 AM

Hi.

I have some good news and bad news. I went to see my physio' again yesterday, and he finally gave me the all clear on my patellar tracking issues Laughing. It seems my inner quads have now become stronger and also my connective tissue has started to get tougher. Therefore, I have been discharged and am free to injure myself now (kidding). The bad news was that I asked him about a "niggle" I experience whilst biking outside. Turns out I've torn my hamstring Cry, so no cycling for me and plenty of those horrible hamstring stretched that make your legs wobble for a bit until it heals. At least it doesn't affect me getting out and running/swimming though.

Chris: Bacon, how do I eat mine? Draped over succulent chicken breast, smothered in BBQ sauce with loads of Caerphilly cheese melted over. Mmmmmmm Laughing

Bike, will be using a 2nd hand Specialized Elite for this year with a view of upgrading next year. Triathlon is soooooo expensive. There are just too many things to spend money on. 

On another note, thought you'd be interested in this show: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r0fv3

It's the only country music show I get to hear over here. The choice of music this week was very varied and good. Really liking The Old Crow Medicine Show at the moment. You may have to skip through the news (about 5 mins), but then you're onto ad free music

Note: The volume on the player goes all the way up to 11, someone's nod to Spinal Tap LOL

Salty: Ref SXSW, I heard a guy on the radio that sounded real good that will be playing at Austin.
http://frank-turner.com/blog/upcoming-gigs/

Taster of what type of music they play:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_RbNdwY4ujw

Yanti, hope you heal soon

To continue on with the music thread, I wondered what everyone's guilty pleasure song was. You know, the one you really shouldn't admit to liking, but you can't help singing when it comes on the radio I think that may tell more about us than we'd care to say LOL. 
  My guilty pleasure is Erasure, Give a little respect :D 

A couple of things jumped out at me from your post:

1.  how can you run with a torn hamstring?  I hope you can, but in my experience with hamstring issues, running is really painful.  Good luck and heal quickly.

2.  this may be the most important point.  Unless your "bacon" is different from the "bacon" I was served in Ireland and England, you don't have bacon, you have ham.  It is good, but it is not BACON Smile  you need a trip to the states to see the difference!

1. I pulled my hamstring whilst on a long bike ride 2 weeks ago, it hurt like buggery then, but I was still able to go for a 15.5 mile run the day after. I only tend to notice it when biking now, during the bottom part of the pedal stroke where you "scrape" the shoe. It hurt bad when I hung my leg over the end of the bed and the pt held it still whilst I tried pulling the leg in. He's aid I had a minor tear at the base of the hamstring, so perhaps it's the position of the tear that allows me to still run. I ride a motorcycle to work and back each night and find that when my leg has been held in the hunched up riding position that I can't straighten my leg out in order to stop the bike from falling without considerable pain. 2. Unlike the USA, we in the UK have different types of BACON. The Bacon you had on your visit was more than likely back bacon, cut from the loin, possibly unsmoked and uncured. If you wanted American bacon you should have asked for belly/streaky bacon. Streaky doesn't get used for breakfast in the UK, we prefer( or I should say, it is more normal) for us to use the leaner back bacon for that and keep the streaky bacon for using in recipes to wrap meat, ie around apple and pork sausages, or pancetta around chorizo etc. I have visited America (central and north, south perhaps when the kids have flown the nest),in fact I was in Salty and Skrats territory when I sang at the inauguration ball of the US of A's first senator of Asian decent, but that's another story, and have tried a large amount of American fair whilst there, but I would never dream as being so arrogant or dismissive to suggest that the Streaky Bacon you called Bacon was not really proper Bacon,but rather different Bacon Let the war of the bacon begin :D

1st, thanks for the info on the hamstring injury, I did not realize that depending upon where the injury occurs one still may be able to run.  I've always hurt my hamstring such that I cannot run. 

Now about the bacon, we Americans are really simple folk; we have bacon, ham and Canadian bacon. That way you know straight away what you're getting when you order bacon.  No need to distinguish streaky bacon or back bacon etc.  Just ask for bacon or ham or canadian bacon.  easy peasy.  As far as which version is the proper bacon, I'll let others argue that as I really don't eat bacon more than a couple times a year, so I'm not that invested   But, our way is betterSealedTongue out

Now, what's the singing at the inauguration story?

2013-03-08 5:57 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
jmkizer - 2013-03-08 1:07 PM

Racing Manatees

March 9-10
JoGo - Corktown 5k

Disabled list:
Jo - calf strain

Streakers!
Jo
TJ
Salty (kinda)

GO RACING MANATEES!!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHAEL!!!

Another great job on the update Jayne!

2013-03-08 7:20 PM

User image

Master
jmkizer - 2013-03-08 11:07 AM

Racing Manatees

March 9-10
JoGo - Corktown 5k

Disabled list:
Jo - calf strain

Streakers!
Jo
TJ
Salty (kinda)

Fantastic, Janyne, as usual! Soooo excited to finally make "The List"
2013-03-08 8:10 PM

User image

Master
To my fellow racing manatees, may you kick a$$ and chew bubble gum...and be all out of bubble gum
2013-03-08 8:26 PM
in reply to: #4652764

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

4agoodlife - 2013-03-08 8:10 PM To my fellow racing manatees, may you kick a$$ and chew bubble gum...and be all out of bubble gum

Cheeky monkey reference to one of the all time great cult flix !!!!

2013-03-08 9:42 PM
in reply to: #4652325

User image

Master
Central Kansas
jobaxas - 2013-03-08 2:03 PM
Richardsdrr - 2013-03-09 2:47 AM

Poorly FinleyJanyne, ref inspire about food poisoning. I think you maybe correct, it may be flu/bug. My boy has been sent home from play school Not good.

that is the best pic ever.
Darling. Poor baby. I hope he feels better soon.
2013-03-08 9:43 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Good luck, racers. I am on the mend.
2013-03-08 11:07 PM
in reply to: #4652812

User image

Elite
KansasMom - 2013-03-09 2:43 PM Good luck, racers. I am on the mend.
  I am very pleased to hear/read that!
2013-03-08 11:29 PM

User image

Master
Gig Harbor

Good luck to all Racing Manatee's tomorrow.  

I can't wait to meet Salty and run with her for the 1st 100 yards!  

Hope the little one feels better... 

Signed the cancer petition... 

Heal soon injured Pod Mates.  

Kirsten - Jealous of your wheels

Jayne, - Nice Ride.  

I think I'm up to date now.. going to sleep... big race tomorrow.  

Edited by Muskrat37 2013-03-08 11:30 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 85