General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2011-01-11 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
I feel like I need a couple of 6 hour bike rides...yesterday!

2011-01-11 6:21 PM
in reply to: #3292378

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
T in Liberty Lake - 2011-01-11 8:46 AM

Yesterday was the 24 weeks to go mark.  I went from just working out when I felt like it (not very often) to actually saying that I've started training.  I've got a lot of work ahead of me but it feels good to get going again.

I'm right there with you guys! Was super excited to start my training yesterday. Game on!!!!
2011-01-11 6:22 PM
in reply to: #3293502

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
And just like many others there's a lot of work ahead for me. With that I'm off to run!

Edited by leopard8996 2011-01-11 6:22 PM
2011-01-11 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3293505

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
At times I feel great about it all.  I have hit every workout my awesome coach has posted and have not felt overwhelmed yet.  However, when I think about what is to come it blows my freakin' mind.  So I have elected to be an Ostrich,  stick my head in the sand, and follow the plan.  I can not think about the end - just the path to the end  ( the end is too big).

The blessing to me is my IT band has been quiet.  My longest run has only been 13 miles but still for the IT to be totally quiet is a great relief - even at this point. 
2011-01-11 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3293282

Champion
No excuses!
T in Liberty Lake - 2011-01-11 5:28 PM
RunRene - 2011-01-11 11:49 AM
T in Liberty Lake - 2011-01-10 8:46 PM Yesterday was the 24 weeks to go mark.  I went from just working out when I felt like it (not very often) to actually saying that I've started training.  I've got a lot of work ahead of me but it feels good to get going again.

For some reason 5 months sounds much better than 24 weeks!!  I get nervous just talking about it!  Yikes!

At 3:00pm today you will have 4,000 available training hours until the gun goes off.  Does that sound better than 24 weeks?

Whoa, when you put it that way, that don't sound like much. Time to get my poop in a group and get it going!
2011-01-11 8:21 PM

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
I have to say that I appreciate everyone's comments posts and adventures...I look forward (...hmmm...) to the next 24 weeks.

Quick question; I was planning to following the BT 20week plan "intermediate HR ironman training plan."  Does anyone have a better/alternate suggestion?  Sounds like many are following a 24 week plan.

Bit of background, this is my first IM (completed Austin 70.3 last October with a slowwwww 7hr time) and do not have much athletic background in swimming/cycling/running.  To add insult to injury, I live just outside of Boulder, CO and frequently when training (trying to keep HR below Zone 5+++) I get passed by team Garmin, Kona contenders, and others you may have read about.  Sometimes they waive...not usually.  The upside is that this is an athletic community so there are many training opportunities --  I'm able to swim outside at 5:45am (minus 11 this morning) in a heated brine pool (surprisingly I'm not the only one there).  

Congratulations to all for undertaking this life-changing opportunity -- it will certainly be a journey of self discovery for me.  Best, Cam.

2011-01-11 9:42 PM
in reply to: #3293540

User image

Master
Vista, CA

kstater39 - 2011-01-11 4:46 PM At times I feel great about it all.  I have hit every workout my awesome coach has posted and have not felt overwhelmed yet.  However, when I think about what is to come it blows my freakin' mind.  So I have elected to be an Ostrich,  stick my head in the sand, and follow the plan.  I can not think about the end - just the path to the end  ( the end is too big).

The blessing to me is my IT band has been quiet.  My longest run has only been 13 miles but still for the IT to be totally quiet is a great relief - even at this point. 

I'm Ms. Ostrich then because I am just thinking of what I can do today. I've been reading everyone's comments but haven't posted much lately for that very ostrich reason. My coach doesn't have me starting the plan until 20 weeks out. Until then, I've been running, swimming and biking but less so. I'm still trying to get completely over a sciatic/piriformis/hammy thing that's slowed me down since September.

So, I'm right there with all of those on the 20 week plan and just trying to maintain my fitness for a couple more weeks so I can official start the plan and also not think too much about the end.

Thanks for all of your inspiration and information. Keep it coming!

2011-01-12 1:36 AM
in reply to: #3293781

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I'm with you - I do the 20 week plan from BT but I do the first 4 weeks of the plan in January as a prep period to get myself back into the routine of training. It's worked pretty well for the first 2 IMs so I'm hoping #3 will work as well. Happy training everyone!

lmscozz - 2011-01-11 7:42 PM

kstater39 - 2011-01-11 4:46 PM At times I feel great about it all.  I have hit every workout my awesome coach has posted and have not felt overwhelmed yet.  However, when I think about what is to come it blows my freakin' mind.  So I have elected to be an Ostrich,  stick my head in the sand, and follow the plan.  I can not think about the end - just the path to the end  ( the end is too big).

I'm Ms. Ostrich then because I am just thinking of what I can do today. I've been reading everyone's comments but haven't posted much lately for that very ostrich reason. My coach doesn't have me starting the plan until 20 weeks out. Until then, I've been running, swimming and biking but less so. I'm still trying to get completely over a sciatic/piriformis/hammy thing that's slowed me down since September.

So, I'm right there with all of those on the 20 week plan and just trying to maintain my fitness for a couple more weeks so I can official start the plan and also not think too much about the end.

2011-01-12 7:58 AM
in reply to: #3293914

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

This will be my third time with the BT 20 week plan.  The next 4 weeks are more base building for me. 

As far at the ostrich comment, that is the only way to do it. I learned my first go around that you need to take it week by week or you will make yourself crazy.  My first year I remember looking head and saying to myself there is no way I am going to be able to get in 20 hours of training in one week.  Don't worry - you will do it, just take it one week at a time.

Happy training!

leopard8996 - 2011-01-12 2:36 AM I'm with you - I do the 20 week plan from BT but I do the first 4 weeks of the plan in January as a prep period to get myself back into the routine of training. It's worked pretty well for the first 2 IMs so I'm hoping #3 will work as well. Happy training everyone!
lmscozz - 2011-01-11 7:42 PM

2011-01-12 8:05 AM

User image

Elite
SE
My eyes are wide open and not in the sand. Thats not to discourage denial as a defense mechanism for you.  IM's are no joke as we all know so i have to take it serious so I won't be crying on the side of the road with a poopy diaper.

Depending on your goals and fitness, I think that a sense of urgency is needed now and that's why I have started pretty diligently hitting it last week. Its still mostly base stuff in low zones but the bigger the and stronger the foundation, the better the harder stuff will take.

Now, as to finding a place to stay, buying a flight, or renting a car, I am a complete slacker.  Back down the dungeon today as the roads are still awful.
2011-01-12 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO

Hey guys I posted this in another thread but wanted to make sure all my fellow CDA'ers saw it.  If your like me you missed the showing of IM Hawaii 2010 due to family holiday functions and poor planning.  I found that on the universal sports website you can now watch online IM Hawaii, Arizona and Florida 2010.

http://www.universalsports.com/triathlon/index.html

Always motivates me to watch these events....   Happy Training!!  Stay Motivated!!

2011-01-12 12:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Wow, the past six months since I committed to do my first Ironman have been a whirlwind. I'd hoped to use the 11-plus months to lose about 100 pounds and get into the shape of my life, achieve something awesome and hopefully inspire others. I was well on my way through August, but ....

On Sept. 1, my work had layoffs and I survived, but it really rocked my world. I got freaked out about new responsibilities and seriously crazy travel (usually between 2-4 cities around the country per week), and in September I fell off the bandwagon big-time.

My exercise ceased, my eating was lousy again and I gained back 20 lost pounds from hard summer work. I was in a dark place.

In mid-December, I was still contemplating whether or not I should or could do this. Then it hit me. I HAVE TO TRY! Sure, I had dug myself an even deeper hole - weighing about 278 pounds (about 114 pounds overweight). But I signed up, paid oodles of cash and had envisioned what it would be like if I could follow through on the training program.

So, for almost a month, I've been slowly but surely training trying to get myself ready to begin the 20-week program. It's tough. I've found even the "easy" pre-training part to be more of a mental challenge than a physical one. It was especially difficult on me when I re-re-committed myself and exercised every day while on a long road trip (love those hotel gyms!) only to return home a pound heavier! What the!?! It's getting better, though.

All I know is this: It feels a heckuva lot better to be working toward an intimidating goal than to be too intimidated to work!
2011-01-12 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3293668

User image

Expert
WA
cam111 - 2011-01-11 6:21 AM

Congratulations to all for undertaking this life-changing opportunity -- it will certainly be a journey of self discovery for me.  Best, Cam.

Yes this is quite the journey!!  I wish all of you luck in your training!  I hope we all make it to the starting line uninjured.

I think about this race EVERYDAY....A LOT.  When I signed up I didn't realize how consuming it would be!  :-)  I still need to buy a back cassette.  I am thinking of selling my road bike to get a nice set of wheels for this race and any other tri's I do this year.  Should I? 

Every work out is a step closer to where we want to be.  One step at a time.  We will get there!

2011-01-12 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3294405

User image

Expert
Selachophobia - 2011-01-12 8:31 AM

Hey guys I posted this in another thread but wanted to make sure all my fellow CDA'ers saw it.  If your like me you missed the showing of IM Hawaii 2010 due to family holiday functions and poor planning.  I found that on the universal sports website you can now watch online IM Hawaii, Arizona and Florida 2010.

http://www.universalsports.com/triathlon/index.html

Always motivates me to watch these events....   Happy Training!!  Stay Motivated!!

thanks for this! just made my day!
2011-01-12 4:31 PM
in reply to: #3294172

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
phatknot - 2011-01-12 8:05 AM . Thats not to discourage denial as a defense mechanism for you. 

Denial would lack proper preparation.  I quess I am more in the camp of can not quite imagine how it is possible for me to finish a full Ironman.  However, my success has come from total confidence in my coach and giving that days workout(s) all I am instructed to give weather that is 110% effort or a easy pace.  I would have never imagined a 1/2 iron was possible after my first sprint.  Now, deep down I do not think anything is impossible - except me being super phast.  Genetics limit some parameters - but not the choice of quit or keep going

I hope all of you snow birds are thawing out.  I rode the trainor for the first time in daylight due to weather yesterday.  However, you guys will be able to laugh at me in May when I have 93 degrees and 85% humidity and doing the 20 mile runs.
2011-01-12 10:48 PM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
It's great to see everyone starting to ramp up their training. I'm on plan week 7 of 30 and feel like the base build is going well. I just check the spreadsheet each night and see what I have to do in the morning, and it's all fitting into the rest of life pretty well. Today was the first day I deviated from the plan, since it was freaking -10 this morning and I wimped out on the short brick run off the trainer and did an extra 15 on the trainer instead. I'll pick up the brick run after the long ride this weekend when it's supposed to be warmer.

To mrwrite, nice job recommitting for a second time and getting off to a solid start. You can definitely still make if you put your mind to it, keep us posted on how it's going.

Keep it going everyone, it's getting closer everyday.

2011-01-13 7:09 AM
in reply to: #3294938

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
mrwrite - 2011-01-12 1:14 PM Wow, the past six months since I committed to do my first Ironman have been a whirlwind. I'd hoped to use the 11-plus months to lose about 100 pounds and get into the shape of my life, achieve something awesome and hopefully inspire others. I was well on my way through August, but .... On Sept. 1, my work had layoffs and I survived, but it really rocked my world. I got freaked out about new responsibilities and seriously crazy travel (usually between 2-4 cities around the country per week), and in September I fell off the bandwagon big-time. My exercise ceased, my eating was lousy again and I gained back 20 lost pounds from hard summer work. I was in a dark place. In mid-December, I was still contemplating whether or not I should or could do this. Then it hit me. I HAVE TO TRY! Sure, I had dug myself an even deeper hole - weighing about 278 pounds (about 114 pounds overweight). But I signed up, paid oodles of cash and had envisioned what it would be like if I could follow through on the training program. So, for almost a month, I've been slowly but surely training trying to get myself ready to begin the 20-week program. It's tough. I've found even the "easy" pre-training part to be more of a mental challenge than a physical one. It was especially difficult on me when I re-re-committed myself and exercised every day while on a long road trip (love those hotel gyms!) only to return home a pound heavier! What the!?! It's getting better, though. All I know is this: It feels a heckuva lot better to be working toward an intimidating goal than to be too intimidated to work!

You've already proven you know how to drop the weight.  You've got some time to drop some more, and will pay HUGE dividends.  Many people struggle with fueling adequately for IM training and losing weight at the same time, but I'm here to tell you it's possible.  I started around 240 and I lost 66 pounds last year in the 6 months leading up to my ironman, and had a great race. 

The fitness will come if you put in the work, but the weight loss might not unless you are very careful about your diet.  Having experienced the difference it makes, it motivates me to behave knowing how much better it is to go long/hard at a lighter weight.  I'm sure you've already felt that going from where you were to where you are... but you have the potential to feel it again going from where you are to where you could be.  IMHO, if a prospective IMer is at all overweight, then losing the weight will make the single biggest difference on race day of all the preparation done for the race.  Sure you can't just lose the weight and ignore proper training, but even with proper training every extra pound you have to carry 140.6 miles really does take a toll.

I'm with you this time around... as are many people if you read the early pages of this thread (I think MOST of the people on this thread stated that losing weight was a goal, and for many it was more than a couple pounds).  GOOD LUCK... and no cheating (it's amazing what we eat, and how unaware we are of it, when we splurge just a little).
2011-01-13 7:18 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Add me to the eyes wide open camp, but only because I am self coached.  I need to know what the purpose of todays workout is, as it fits within the context of the various training cycles (mini, meso, etc) that I'm in.  If you have a very good coach then I agree, you can just focus on today.  But if you are self-coached, even if you are following a canned plan, you likely should try to develop a bit of context and awareness about your training.  You should understand why you are doing what you are doing, because that's the only way to know if it hurts just right, too much, or not enough.  I also think it is very helpful to use nearly every training session to mentally rehearse race day.  Some might be afraid of "burnout" to focus singularly on a goal for that long, but for me the dividends were huge on my debut IM.  Even though it was my first, I felt like I was a seasoned vet because I had gone over it so many times in my head.  For example, I had run the last 10 miles of that marathon hundreds of times in training, forcing myself to keep it under control and focus on mechanics and envisioning the glory that awaits when you keep going.  I had dialed in my bike pacing and held it consistently while staying in aero for multiple hours dozens of times with no conversation, no attention to the scenery, etc... so I was ready for the focus that requires on race day.  I had paid attention to what I ate and drank, and what the conditions and workout were like, and how my body felt about it, on every long workout... so that I knew how my body would respond regardless of what the weather was like.  Even the silly stuff, like when I got the runners trots on a long run once... I didn't focus on making it to a gas station... I focused in my mind of keeping it all together until I got to an "aid station" and then I focused on being as quick as I could be and getting back out there at my targeted run pace right away.  It was all mental race prep, any chance I could get.

All that to say, it's my personal belief that lots of people show up to an IM in better physical shape than their finish time will reflect at the end of race day.  For most of them (barring an injury, events out of their control, etc), the day falls apart due to poor race execution.  Mis-execution, at its very core, is a mental mistake.  And it's a part of you that can easily be neglected during training, but that will benefit from training just as much as your body will.

Edited by JoshKaptur 2011-01-13 7:21 AM
2011-01-13 7:43 AM

User image

Elite
SE
Yes Yes Yes ^^^

I tend to think this way too. For example, it bugs me when we have a stop (or multiple stops) on a group ride. Sometimes these take over 10 mins. Add these to your time on race day. Why can't you carry your nutrition on board and if you must stop, make it rapid? Let your riding partners know in advance if possible.

Also, prepare to fix flats yourself, adjust bike probs if need be, etc. Overprepare, as psychological research shows that overlearning is the way to improve your test results.

Running an endurance pace on a regular basis really helped me last year. I just kept trying to get comfortable in z2 as I knew thats where I was going to be hanging all day at IMFL. I am trying to up the pace of my endurance pace this year but I still need to have it automatic in my body to get set there. Take nutrition and hydration as you will on race day.  It would be good to use the products in training that you will on race day. Less variables to account for...

Good suggestions Josh.
2011-01-13 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3294938

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
mrwrite --The benefits of a training partner(s) is incredible...go find one asap! I couldn't get out of bed consistently at 5:00am without one (they get get a little bent if you stand them up). If you're up to it post your workouts here--we'll keep an eye on you. I get to salt lake frequently - I'd be happy to work out with you. You mentioned alot of travel -- i have been able to find a pool (local Y or rec center) nearly every place (even internationally) I go...google "swimming pool finder" and you'll find a couple good websites.Good Luck - Cam
2011-01-13 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3296961

Master
, California
Also, prepare to fix flats yourself, adjust bike probs if need be, etc.

Let me tell you -- this is something people just don't practice enough.  I had a series of flats within a couple month span last year that got me very fast at changing a rear tire.

The other thing to watch out for is that a lot of people don't ride on their race wheels prior to the event.  Since CdA is early season, you might not have miles on those tires.

Put 50 or so miles on them prior to race day.

Break them in.  The rolling resistance generally improves with a little use.  And with clinchers - they can be a ROYAL pain to get off the rim when they are brand new.

2011-01-13 12:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
What has been your best source for information on nutrition?  This is one of my weakest areas for race day.  I have not had problems during training, but I have race day.  I think I hydrate too much the day before the race.  I also have consumed too many chomps.  For some reason my mind thinks more is better.  I will not be making those same mistakes.  I read the following in the latest Hammar Catalog.  I have not read this before?. What are your thoughts, and  are there people that agree with Hammar?  

13. For workouts and races over 60 minutes in length, finish a pre-exercise food or fuel three hours prior to starting

Let's assume you've been really good, you've been training hard (yet wisely) and remembering to replenish your body with adequate amounts of high quality calories as soon as possible after each and every one of your workouts. Great! You've now built up a nice 60-90 minute reservoir of premium muscle glycogen, the first fuel your body will use when your long race begins. Don't blow it now by eating something an hour or two prior to the start of the race!

Do you know what happens when you eat within three hours of exercise? Your muscle glycogen stores get burned much more rapidly& in long-duration events that's definitely not performance enhancing! For workouts and races lasting longer than 60 minutes (perhaps up to 90 minutes at the most), refraining from calorie consumption for the three-hour period prior to the start is crucial because you want to preserve your glycogen stores, not accelerate their depletion.

2011-01-13 12:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee

Let me tell you -- this is something people just don't practice enough.  I had a series of flats within a couple month span last year that got me very fast at changing a rear tire.

The other thing to watch out for is that a lot of people don't ride on their race wheels prior to the event.  Since CdA is early season, you might not have miles on those tires.

Put 50 or so miles on them prior to race day.

This is good advice.  lets talk tubular wheels for a second.  I have raced tubulars for years.  Had 404's, now have 808's.  On sprints and oly's I do not carry anything, if I flat... game over.  I have never flatted (knock on wood).  Obviously during the IM I carried a spare tire, but had NEVER changed one myself in my life.  I understood the concept, but never actually did it... Until Mile 78 of IMLP!!  I was lucky, because the spare I carried was one I had previously used on the wheels, so it was stretched out.  nonetheless, it took me ~12 - 15 mins to change it.  I then proceeded to spend the next 34 miles worrying about flatting again because I had no more spares and so concerned about the time I lost that I did not drink anything in fear I would have to stop to pee and lose more time(this catches up to you on that marathon thingy they have you run last)...

IMCdA Gameplan.  My race wheels currently wear 1 continental (back) and one tufo (front) tire, the conti has 2 oly's and a sprint, the tufo has 1 oly and a sprint (flatted my matching conti the day before one of the oly's and tufo was the only one the shop had.... errrrr... hate mismatched tires!!!!).  My plan for IMCdA is to pull BOTH of those tires off the rims, replace them with 2 NEW Zipp Tangente tires, do at least 1 oly on the new tires and carry both midly used tires with me in the IM.  I will also ride around  a bit when I get to CdA to get a few miles on them.   If you go to the bike shop, buy a tubular tire, strap it to your seat post and then have to get that sucker on the wheel during the race without ever unfolding it, well, let's just say it will NEVER happen.  You have to stretch tubular tires, alot... 

So there are 4 advantages to this approach... 1) Both of my spares will already be well stretched 2) Both of my spares will already have some glue remnants on them, which will help them to stick to the rim 3)  I will have two more shots at practicing mounting tubular tires myself (I will of course go to my shop and have them make sure i did a splendid job) and 4) this may be the most important, my tires will match!!

2011-01-13 2:00 PM

User image

Elite
SE
At both IMs I did, I bought the slime tubes to prevent flatting in my HED clinchers. They weigh a bit more but they give you a peace of mind for such an important day at a cheap cost.
2011-01-13 2:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee

Another good point, a few extra grams for a tougher tire/tibe is weight well spent.  50 grams will not slow you down nearly as much as a flat.  After flatting 100 times in training I went to Continental Gator Skins, which are fairly heavy, but I have only flatted 2 times in 4 years and they last 3000-4000 miles.

For tubies there is a treatment (I cannot remember the name, have to call my old shop back in FL) which works like the slime stuff.  Sorta proactive fix-a-flat.  Only costs a few bucks a tire and you have to get the tires re-treated every year cause it dries up I guess.

Bottom line, flats suck, flats during races REALLY suck, flats during an Ironman REALLY REALLY SUCK!

New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171