BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty Beyond Ridiculous Manatees PART 6--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 91

2012-11-12 4:41 PM
in reply to: #4495321

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty Beyond Ridiculous Manatees PART 6--CLOSED
Asalzwed - 2012-11-12 4:11 PM

Ok, hahaha here are a few photos from the Pineapple 5k:

If you look close enough you can see I am wearing a coconut bra. Also my super touristy "Maui" hat and sunglasses. Very weekend at Bernie's (If indeed Bernie lived in Maui instead of the hamptons)

And this is my friend Eric diving for the slip n' slide:

Here is Mt. Si (I've climbed it a few times) post race when the sun FINALLY came out:

*The more beer-oriented pictures are in my blog although, nothing incriminating. 

When Eric and I were on our 'long' run yesterday he said, "So, I was thinking about the whole post race all you can drink beer at the pineapple classic. I wonder if we were just part of some social experiment. You take a whole bunch of thirsty racers on a farm, enable a significant amount of day drinking and then sit back and see what happens ... "

Surprised

That is awesome!!!

2012-11-12 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4458563

User image

Master
Orlando

ok Manatees, I'm trying to make a decision on what to do this weekend and need input.  I am scheduled to run a HM on 12/1, but because of the really bad things that can happen if I ignore the capsulitis in my foot, I will not be able to participate.  In fact, I can't run for whatever time it takes to get this healed.  So, I am going to be focusing on cycling and swimming. 

On Sunday there is the Horrible Hundred bike ride in our Florida hills.  The hills are not huge, but are many and are steep.  They surprise many people who think of Florida as totally flat.  Anyway, there is no way I will do the 100 as I am not in shape for that, but they do offer 2 other distances: 70 and 35 miles.  If the ride were flat, I'd do the 70 miler, but it isn't and last weekend was the first time I rode hills in about 2 months and before that it had been at least that long.  So, needless to say I am not in hill shape and am leaning toward the 35 miler.

On the other hand, it seems like a waste of time to sign up just to do 35 miles.  On the other hand (how many hands does that make?), 70 miles could be a real sufferfest and could make me really sore thus affecting the next x number of rides.   Ugh, I am conflicted.

So what says the Manatees: be smart and stick with the 35 miles - which will take me at least 2 hrs, or suck it up and go for the 70?  

I tried to paste the ride profiles, but it didn't work, so here is the ride's website for anyone interested

http://www.horrible-hundred.com/index.php

edited to add: i don't know why, but half the time I post a link here it doesn't work. 

Edited by amd723 2012-11-12 5:27 PM
2012-11-12 5:37 PM
in reply to: #4495494

User image

Seattle
amd723 - 2012-11-12 5:22 PM

ok Manatees, I'm trying to make a decision on what to do this weekend and need input.  I am scheduled to run a HM on 12/1, but because of the really bad things that can happen if I ignore the capsulitis in my foot, I will not be able to participate.  In fact, I can't run for whatever time it takes to get this healed.  So, I am going to be focusing on cycling and swimming. 

On Sunday there is the Horrible Hundred bike ride in our Florida hills.  The hills are not huge, but are many and are steep.  They surprise many people who think of Florida as totally flat.  Anyway, there is no way I will do the 100 as I am not in shape for that, but they do offer 2 other distances: 70 and 35 miles.  If the ride were flat, I'd do the 70 miler, but it isn't and last weekend was the first time I rode hills in about 2 months and before that it had been at least that long.  So, needless to say I am not in hill shape and am leaning toward the 35 miler.

On the other hand, it seems like a waste of time to sign up just to do 35 miles.  On the other hand (how many hands does that make?), 70 miles could be a real sufferfest and could make me really sore thus affecting the next x number of rides.   Ugh, I am conflicted.

So what says the Manatees: be smart and stick with the 35 miles - which will take me at least 2 hrs, or suck it up and go for the 70?  

I tried to paste the ride profiles, but it didn't work, so here is the ride's website for anyone interested

edited to add: i don't know why, but half the time I post a link here it doesn't work. 

Yes, it seems you have a whole lot of hands.

With bike-related things, I am always inclined to err on the longer side.  Especially since you just did what, 56 miles in your HM? 

I am having a hard time reading that elevation chart. I have my head completely sideways but they obviously uploaded a low res image. Is the highest hill something like 307'? 

Since you are in Florida, I assume you don't ride a lot of hills regularly? How do you feel about that? Do you think you would be extremely unprepared for them? 

2012-11-12 5:58 PM
in reply to: #4495510

User image

Master
Orlando
Asalzwed - 2012-11-12 5:37 PM

With bike-related things, I am always inclined to err on the longer side.  Especially since you just did what, 56 miles in your HM? 

I am having a hard time reading that elevation chart. I have my head completely sideways but they obviously uploaded a low res image. Is the highest hill something like 307'? 

Since you are in Florida, I assume you don't ride a lot of hills regularly? How do you feel about that? Do you think you would be extremely unprepared for them? 

i know these hills seem silly to those outside of Florida, but you'd be surprised by the number of out of staters who ride real hills who come here and are totally shocked by these hills.  You will see race reports for the full iron races in the area where everyone comments on how much they underestimated them and how they are not to be taken lightly.  Still they are "hills", not mountains and they are short (though plentiful).    I only ride hills when I do go to this area to ride and in my build up to the HIM, i rode that area on very few occasions since the race was completely flat.  So, I am out of shape; but know I could do it.  It really is a question of how much suffering will this be and do I want to suffer!

ETA:  i am leaning toward the 70.

Edited by amd723 2012-11-12 6:28 PM
2012-11-12 7:24 PM
in reply to: #4495536

User image

Seattle
amd723 - 2012-11-12 5:58 PM

i know these hills seem silly to those outside of Florida, but you'd be surprised by the number of out of staters who ride real hills who come here and are totally shocked by these hills.  You will see race reports for the full iron races in the area where everyone comments on how much they underestimated them and how they are not to be taken lightly.  Still they are "hills", not mountains and they are short (though plentiful).    I only ride hills when I do go to this area to ride and in my build up to the HIM, i rode that area on very few occasions since the race was completely flat.  So, I am out of shape; but know I could do it.  It really is a question of how much suffering will this be and do I want to suffer!

So you didn't answer any of my questions lol.

But those questions aside, say it is tough and you are sore for a little bit after the ride. Say you even miss the next x rides because you haven't recovered. Is that a big deal to you? Do you feel like those missed bike rides are going to effect the next race on the horizon? 

2012-11-12 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4495536

User image

Master
amd723 - 2012-11-12 3:58 PM

Are the courses nested?  Could you start the 70 and bail at 35 if need be?  Do you have to suffer, or can you just easy spin up the hills?  How did you cope with your hills ride last weekend?  I say if you think you will be hating the 70 three quarters the way through, do the 35.  More time left in the day for drinking beer with the 35 too.  Laughing

2012-11-12 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4495646

User image

Master
Orlando
Asalzwed - 2012-11-12 7:24 PM

But those questions aside, say it is tough and you are sore for a little bit after the ride. Say you even miss the next x rides because you haven't recovered. Is that a big deal to you? Do you feel like those missed bike rides are going to effect the next race on the horizon? 

What?! Sure i did. See the bolded parts   What you've highlighted with your questions (including the ones i've answered ) is that the real issue is whether I want to invest the time for the longer ride and deal with whatever soreness that comes.  Since my running is on hold, I have no upcoming races to be worried about.  

Thanks for making realize what the real issue is - my motivation :0

2012-11-12 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4495706

User image

Seattle
amd723 - 2012-11-12 8:05 PM

What?! Sure i did. See the bolded parts   What you've highlighted with your questions (including the ones i've answered ) is that the real issue is whether I want to invest the time for the longer ride and deal with whatever soreness that comes.  Since my running is on hold, I have no upcoming races to be worried about.  

Well shoot, if this is a motivation issue I think we have a standard response.

DOOOO EEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT

*And yes, I sort of tricked you into that

Edited by Asalzwed 2012-11-12 8:08 PM
2012-11-12 8:13 PM
in reply to: #4495702

User image

Master
Orlando
bcraht - 2012-11-12 8:01 PM
amd723 - 2012-11-12 3:58 PM

Are the courses nested?  Could you start the 70 and bail at 35 if need be?  Do you have to suffer, or can you just easy spin up the hills?  How did you cope with your hills ride last weekend?  I say if you think you will be hating the 70 three quarters the way through, do the 35.  More time left in the day for drinking beer with the 35 too.  Laughing

You make a good point, there is some overlap between the distances and if I'm not feeling the 70, i could bail on it.  I would spin up the hills, but that doesn't mean no suffering (at least the way i do it)! Last ride sucked - for whatever reason I just was not motivated and did not enjoy myself.  However, if I do this ride I will not have run 11-12 miles the day before like I did last weekend, so that might help.

I can't argue with your more beer drinking logic!

I think I answered all your questions Wink

2012-11-12 8:13 PM

User image

Seattle

and just to add some personal experience to this. I did a 2-day 220 mile bike ride with very very little training. (I think the longest I had ever ridden my bike was like 30 miles and I don't believe it was all at once) It wasn't particularly hilly but I would imagine it would fit in with the "Florida Hilly" category.

Anyway, the only thing that was REALLY sore was my rear/crotchial (technical term) region.  I only took a day off then was  back to training as usual. More than anything I was just sick and tired of being on a bicycle alone. 

But of course this was just MY experience and everyone is different. 

2012-11-12 8:16 PM
in reply to: #4495708

User image

Master
Orlando
Asalzwed - 2012-11-12 8:06 PM
amd723 - 2012-11-12 8:05 PM

Well shoot, if this is a motivation issue I think we have a standard response.

DOOOO EEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT

*And yes, I sort of tricked you into that

Ooh trickeration! How sly of you.

2012-11-12 8:22 PM
in reply to: #4495719

User image

Master
Orlando
Asalzwed - 2012-11-12 8:13 PM

and just to add some personal experience to this. I did a 2-day 220 mile bike ride with very very little training. (I think the longest I had ever ridden my bike was like 30 miles and I don't believe it was all at once) It wasn't particularly hilly but I would imagine it would fit in with the "Florida Hilly" category.

Anyway, the only thing that was REALLY sore was my rear/crotchial (technical term) region.  I only took a day off then was  back to training as usual. More than anything I was just sick and tired of being on a bicycle alone. 

But of course this was just MY experience and everyone is different. 

ok, now you're resorting to subtle dares.  more trickeration.

2012-11-12 10:40 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Asalzwed - 2012-11-12 4:11 PM

If you look close enough you can see I am wearing a coconut bra. Also my super touristy "Maui" hat and sunglasses. Very weekend at Bernie's (If indeed Bernie lived in Maui instead of the hamptons)

Here is Mt. Si (I've climbed it a few times) post race when the sun FINALLY came out:

*The more beer-oriented pictures are in my blog although, nothing incriminating. 

When Eric and I were on our 'long' run yesterday he said, "So, I was thinking about the whole post race all you can drink beer at the pineapple classic. I wonder if we were just part of some social experiment. You take a whole bunch of thirsty racers on a farm, enable a significant amount of day drinking and then sit back and see what happens ... "

Surprised

Only you would wear a coconut bra to a race.

Wait...no....Yanti would too.  

2012-11-12 10:41 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
That cold I've been fighting since my Halloween race?  It turned into bronchitis.  Miserable.  I was supposed to start marathon training this week.  So not happening.  Maybe very slowly (and shorter?) if I'm feeling better Saturday or Sunday.
2012-11-13 5:10 AM
in reply to: #4495868

User image

Elite
Artemis - 2012-11-13 3:41 PMThat cold I've been fighting since my Halloween race?  It turned into bronchitis.  Miserable.  I was supposed to start marathon training this week.  So not happening.  Maybe very slowly (and shorter?) if I'm feeling better Saturday or Sunday.
Pick it up in week two wont hurt get well first
2012-11-13 7:02 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
amd723 - 2012-11-12 6:22 PM

35.  It should be a fun ride.  The only way you should consider the 70 is if you have friends that you can ride with.  A sufferfest with friends can be fun.

2012-11-13 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4495983

User image

Pennsylvania

jobaxas - 2012-11-13 6:10 AM
Artemis - 2012-11-13 3:41 PMThat cold I've been fighting since my Halloween race?  It turned into bronchitis.  Miserable.  I was supposed to start marathon training this week.  So not happening.  Maybe very slowly (and shorter?) if I'm feeling better Saturday or Sunday.
Pick it up in week two wont hurt get well first

Jo has spoken wisely.  You don't want bronchitis to develop into pneumonia.  Plus breathing while running is pretty important.  OK, while not running, too!!   Give your body a chance to recover from the bronchitis, then start your training.

2012-11-13 9:32 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Initially I was going to say just do the 35 and have fun.  Then after some thought, I decided to change my response to 70 (DOOOOO EEEEEETTT), especially if you have some pals to do it with you to keep your motivation up and to distract you from the hills.  Plus you said you don't have any upcoming events, so if you are a bit sore for a few days, it won't matter about skipped bikes, just swim instead.  Swimming is nice recovery. 

These 'hills of Florida' fascinate me.  I must check out your race area online.  A few years ago I went to Bok Gardens where the highest point in FL is: I thought the plaque read 234' above sea level?  I sometimes visit my Dad when he snowbirds in FL, maybe I will have to rent a bike and check them out for myself! (if they are somewhat near where he is)

2012-11-13 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4495062

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2012-11-13 1:08 AM
TriAya - 2012-11-12 12:06 PM
bcraht - 2012-11-12 1:42 AM

Ok, I need some help from you cyclist peeps.  I just got on trainerroad and did the FTP test yesterday.  I noticed that I couldn't keep the power as high when spinning at a higher cadence as I could when 'mashing' at a lower cadence (~70).  I do know that my regular cadence (the one my body naturally does) is around 75-80, so lower than many.  So, should I be trying to increase my power at my mashing cadence, or should I be trying to increase my cadence and then my power at that increased cadence.  Or should I stop overthinking it and just ride Sealed

I do have to say that the two rides that I have done on TR have been worth it--without it, I usually just end up being lazy...

No. Not really. There are innumerable pros, both cycling and tri, who average in the 70s.

Being able to ride at different cadences puts more tools in your box for varied purposes, conditions, terrain.

That said, it's a pretty common finding that newer cyclists will lose power with a higher cadence. But big T.I.T.S. is what lets you find your sweet spot where you're putting out the best power for your pedal. That's a very individual thing.

Nobody can really tell you what the lower threshold for too low a cadence is.

Mine is, when cycling uphill, if I can walk or run faster than I'm pedaling and I'm out of gears (this only ever happened at CA 70.3 ... when I had three gears ... not a triple ring, I mean THREE GEARS) ... I get off and walk.

But if it's self defined as mashing don't you think it's probably inefficient?

And do you disagree with this? 

"The prevailing theory is that spinning is a more efficient use of your strength and energy. Many cyclists revert to mashing, however, because it feels faster. But, not only does mashing produce more lactic acid, it predominantly uses what's called fast-twitch muscle fibers, which fatigue faster than slow-twitch fibers (used in spinning) [source: Williamson]."

The penultimate arbiter of efficiency is the power meter, assuming one is riding for some distance/time. The ultimate arbiter of efficiency for triathletes is how much power one can produce over the cycling course and still run well (according to one's training) off it.

Can't comment on a quote without a context. How does Williamson define mashing vs. spinning?

2012-11-13 10:02 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2012-11-13 4:11 AM

Surprised

There is so much awesomeness here I don't even know where to start.

Maybe by eating some coconuts. And pineapple.

2012-11-13 10:50 AM
in reply to: #4496285

User image

Master
Orlando
melbo55 - 2012-11-13 9:32 AM

Initially I was going to say just do the 35 and have fun.  Then after some thought, I decided to change my response to 70 (DOOOOO EEEEEETTT), especially if you have some pals to do it with you to keep your motivation up and to distract you from the hills.  Plus you said you don't have any upcoming events, so if you are a bit sore for a few days, it won't matter about skipped bikes, just swim instead.  Swimming is nice recovery. 

These 'hills of Florida' fascinate me.  I must check out your race area online.  A few years ago I went to Bok Gardens where the highest point in FL is: I thought the plaque read 234' above sea level?  I sometimes visit my Dad when he snowbirds in FL, maybe I will have to rent a bike and check them out for myself! (if they are somewhat near where he is)

We seem to have a split decision! Melanie and Salty say DOOOO EEEEETTTT, Jayne says to play it safe and Kirsten says try the 70, but cut it short if needed. So, I signed up and when they asked my "preference" for ride distance I selected 70. I will cut it short and jump into the 35 ride if need be. Thanks for all your input.Melanie, I am always a bit embarrassed to use the term " hills" when talking about rides in Florida, because you're right, no place gets too much above sea level, so how hilly can it be? Especially to those who have real hills.Bok Tower is not that far from Clermont, so you really should come out and ride the area next time you visit. To give you an idea of what you'd be facing, a roughly 50 mile loop has about 3000 feet of climbing ( at least that's what Garmin says). The hills have grades ranging from 12 to 17%. So, they are short, but rather steep. There is pretty much no flat section in the area - although I recognize that people outside of Florida may think the entire area is rather flat.One last thing, some asked about riding with friends. Well, since this was a last minute decision, I am on my own. Everyone else either has a marathon or HM in the next 2-3 weeks, so they have no desire to join me. Somehow i keep picking races that dont interest my friends or family - they may be trying to tell me something . Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make friends with one of the at least 2000 other riders!ETA: formatting always stinks when I use the iPad. Sorry.

Edited by amd723 2012-11-13 10:51 AM

2012-11-13 11:31 AM

User image

Seattle
I am going to kill someone. Did body composition this morning so i couldn't eat beforehand. Not eating breakfast doesn't suit me very well.
2012-11-13 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4496489

User image

Melon Presser

Asalzwed - 2012-11-14 12:31 AM I am going to kill someone. Did body composition this morning so i couldn't eat beforehand. Not eating breakfast doesn't suit me very well.

Oh em gee you poor thing!!! Do your coworkers still have their limbs?

2012-11-13 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4496521

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-11-13 11:49 AM

Asalzwed - 2012-11-14 12:31 AM I am going to kill someone. Did body composition this morning so i couldn't eat beforehand. Not eating breakfast doesn't suit me very well.

Oh em gee you poor thing!!! Do your coworkers still have their limbs?

Yes but only because I have cereal at my desk and am able to eat right meow. 

In other good news I lost 4 lb body fat and gained a pound of muscle. Also, oddly my right arm got 3% bigger and left 1% smaller. Ha! 

2012-11-13 11:56 AM

User image

Melon Presser
amd723 - 2012-11-13 6:22 AM

DOOOOO EEEEEEEET

Okay, now that I've actually read your question and everyone else's responses

My answer is:

DOOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEET

If it's really a sufferfest, as others said, drop out. If it's really a sufferfest and you feel like suffering, go for it. If you're still suffering the next few days, make 'em recovery rides to help ease the sore and stiff. If you're really really suffering, swim and just suffer in a whole different way to take your mind off the original effects of suffering.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty Beyond Ridiculous Manatees PART 6--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 91