BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 440

2013-10-08 2:31 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes)
Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by mtnbikerchkanother drive by OMG so busy.....BUT OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGFINALLY Hoka One One is coming to CT for a demo! WHEEEEE tomorrow night!! I so want these kicks - can't wait to try them
Prepare yourself- they look like clown shoes even more in person than on the internet! Also, it took me about .75 mile to get over the feeling I was running on stilts, so don't make a snap judgement about them.
I tried on a pair on our last LRS trip and I wasn't as put off by the new design. They look more "normal" than last year's.

2013-10-08 2:57 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by 4agoodlife
Originally posted by mtnbikerchkanother drive by OMG so busy.....BUT OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGFINALLY Hoka One One is coming to CT for a demo! WHEEEEE tomorrow night!! I so want these kicks - can't wait to try them
Prepare yourself- they look like clown shoes even more in person than on the internet! Also, it took me about .75 mile to get over the feeling I was running on stilts, so don't make a snap judgement about them.
I tried on a pair on our last LRS trip and I wasn't as put off by the new design. They look more "normal" than last year's.
True, colors are a tamer, so they don't draw a person's eye which then normally leads to, "what the heck kind of shoe are you wearing?!!"
2013-10-08 3:07 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by cdban66
Originally posted by rrrunner

Interesting (circus-like) qualities for a running shoe...

It was kind of embarrassing when I first started wearing them, but then my foot stopped swelling up after every long run; so I got over it. Now I embrace the clown quality

I guess that adds to the happy running factor Laughing

I may be taking it too far with the wig and red nose.

This kinda fits in to the "uglier/brighter shoe is faster" theory that I subscribe to. Not sure on the nose & wig combo though. 

Do you pull up to races in a Mini Cooper with 18 friends piled in there?

Close.
2013-10-08 3:08 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Originally posted by QueenZipp

Just a drive by to say Tj--I loved the hot air balloon pics!

I am tired and over this plan.  Wish it were actually done.  However, as long as I am not injured (for which I am grateful) I will plod along.  I expect at this rate to have a good 6 months of getting weight off and rebuilding my speed.  

My husband is considering signing me up for a coach for next season.  I looked over the pricing for Endorphin Fitness last night....their virtual packages are pretty inexpensive--but I would like some direct feedback and in person stuff and that gets pricier.

Have you checked with Dave at CVE?  They have a lot of athletes and people seem really happy.

2013-10-08 4:10 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Interesting (circus-like) qualities for a running shoe...

It was kind of embarrassing when I first started wearing them, but then my foot stopped swelling up after every long run; so I got over it. Now I embrace the clown quality

I already WANT to love them so they have that going for them too!!

I'm trying to get a friend to wear matching banana costumes with me for the Manchester Road Race on Thanksgiving.......if she won't, maybe I'll go the clown route!
2013-10-08 5:17 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Originally posted by Artemis
Originally posted by QueenZipp

Just a drive by to say Tj--I loved the hot air balloon pics!

I am tired and over this plan.  Wish it were actually done.  However, as long as I am not injured (for which I am grateful) I will plod along.  I expect at this rate to have a good 6 months of getting weight off and rebuilding my speed.  

My husband is considering signing me up for a coach for next season.  I looked over the pricing for Endorphin Fitness last night....their virtual packages are pretty inexpensive--but I would like some direct feedback and in person stuff and that gets pricier.

Have you checked with Dave at CVE?  They have a lot of athletes and people seem really happy.

No, I didn't look there for comparisons.  I have such respect for Michael and what he does at Endorphin that I hadn't even thought about Dave.  I met Dave with my bike fit, he's incredibly knowledgable and I could probably work with him too.....not sure if there are decisions to be made yet....just research to be done.

2013-10-08 6:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

A great morning watching Breakfast with Bob Babbitt

Saw Rinny, Macca, Crowie, Pete Jacobs, Andy Starykowicz, and the Rappstar.

It's on every day live streamed.  Will post a link in a sec.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/10/news/watch-pre-race-interviews-with-kona-favorites-live_85768

Here's the line up

Wednesday, Oct. 9
8:00 a.m. Eneko Llanos
8:30 a.m. Rachel Joyce
9:00 a.m. Heather Wurtele
9:30 a.m. Bevan Docherty
10:00 a.m. Dirk Bockel
10:30 a.m. Sebastian Kienle
11:00 a.m. Eric McElvenny
11:30 a.m. Hines Ward & Paula Newby-Fraser
12:00 p.m. Bart Aernouts

Thursday, Oct. 10
9:00 Gordon Haller
9:30 Peter Henning
10:00 Ken Glah
10:30 Siri Lindley
11:00 Chrissie Wellington
11:30 Chris Boardman
12:00 Meredith Kessler

Friday, Oct. 11
9:00 a.m. Mark Allen
10:00 a.m. Andrew Messick
10:30 a.m. Dave Scott
11:00 a.m. Kathleen McCartney
11:30 a.m. Dick Hoyt
12:00 a.m. Andre Kajlic

Edited by jobaxas 2013-10-08 7:09 PM
2013-10-08 8:30 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Hi Manatees - sorry I've been so absent lately, the evil work people are actually expecting me to... work.  What the fach is with that??? 

Erin - so glad to hear that you're on the mend, but I'm not surprised that Jason got it... your house is full of icky cooties!

Randee - enjoy the clown shoes! 

Chris - you've put so much thought into the gratitude each day, thank you for the daily reminders. 

Judi - just remember that you're getting closer to race day with every run that you complete, and how good that accomplishment will feel. 

TJ - love those pictures!!

2013-10-09 6:54 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
My race report, finally, is up. A bit long sorry.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

TJ, I mention Injinji socks in this report. Found them to be very good.

Switch, I have been thinking about your goals question, but need more time before I answer it, as I'm still trying to sort out what I want to do/achieve.

Mom, heal up.

Good thoughts for the rest of the Mantatess.
2013-10-09 9:54 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Richardsdrr My race report, finally, is up. A bit long sorry. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... TJ, I mention Injinji socks in this report. Found them to be very good. Switch, I have been thinking about your goals question, but need more time before I answer it, as I'm still trying to sort out what I want to do/achieve. Mom, heal up. Good thoughts for the rest of the Mantatess.

Ok, I'm holding you to it ;)  Looking forward to reading your RR!

2013-10-09 9:59 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Hey Pod,

I put up a "Work your Weakness" Challenge in the challenge forum this morning.  It's going to start on Saturday and hopefully it will help motivate us to work on some of those things we should work on but tend to neglect or possibly not prioritize highly enough.  It would be great to have you guys in there

Also, speaking of challenges, I have been reading Swim Speed Secrets by Shelia Taormina--OMFG, this book is AWESOME!  Her descriptions and pictures are so, so helpful.  It has been awesome to be in the water with a very clear picture of what I should be doing and feeling.  If you haven't checked out this book yet, and you need to work on your swimming I HIGHLY recommend it.  I have scheduled a challenge to read this book and focus on it from November 15-December 15, so there's that option too (I'm just reading it early cause of my leg thing/inability to really run).

Hope you're all having a fabulous hump day!

2013-10-09 10:10 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by switch

Hey Pod,

I put up a "Work your Weakness" Challenge in the challenge forum this morning.  It's going to start on Saturday and hopefully it will help motivate us to work on some of those things we should work on but tend to neglect or possibly not prioritize highly enough.  It would be great to have you guys in there

Also, speaking of challenges, I have been reading Swim Speed Secrets by Shelia Taormina--OMFG, this book is AWESOME!  Her descriptions and pictures are so, so helpful.  It has been awesome to be in the water with a very clear picture of what I should be doing and feeling.  If you haven't checked out this book yet, and you need to work on your swimming I HIGHLY recommend it.  I have scheduled a challenge to read this book and focus on it from November 15-December 15, so there's that option too (I'm just reading it early cause of my leg thing/inability to really run).

Hope you're all having a fabulous hump day!

I just saw the challenge in tri talk and I'll definitely be taking part with a run focus as running is (and most likely always will be) my nemesis.  But... I most likely won't be joining the action until a little after B2B... 

2013-10-09 12:39 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Seattle

I had the privilege of going to the Brooks HQ and testing a bunch of shoes (a bunch of brands, not just Brooks) yesterday. It was fantastic. Not just the testing part, which was really interesting, but the conversations I had with the engineers afterward once our session was over. 

They want me to be part of an 18 month project. So it will be really cool to continue with this. 

2013-10-09 12:51 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I had the privilege of going to the Brooks HQ and testing a bunch of shoes (a bunch of brands, not just Brooks) yesterday. It was fantastic. Not just the testing part, which was really interesting, but the conversations I had with the engineers afterward once our session was over. 

They want me to be part of an 18 month project. So it will be really cool to continue with this. 

What does the project consist of?

2013-10-09 1:00 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

It has to do with the runners experience. What that means and how we (runners) define that.

As far as my commitments and what that looks like? I don't know yet. If I had to guess, I think it will be regular sessions running in different shoes and having similar conversations about my "experience." 

2013-10-09 1:05 PM

User image

Seattle
But I should add, what I found really fascinating in talking with the engineer is that my "feelings" were validated. I don't really have the shoe lingo down, so in expressing myself I was just kind of, defining my experiences per my own vocabulary and then defining that. He said I was very unique in my passion and feelings (LOL!) I guess a lot of people just come in and say, "I run in this shoe with these orthotics because my doctor told me to." Period. And perhaps that is part of the problem, right?

2013-10-09 1:06 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Sweet!!!

Another Wednesday - half over. Got my big HOKA demo tonight I don't usually run in the dark so I brought enough stuff to be lit up like a Christmas tree! OH YEAH!

Hope you're having a good hhUMMMp day!
2013-10-09 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

It has to do with the runners experience. What that means and how we (runners) define that.

As far as my commitments and what that looks like? I don't know yet. If I had to guess, I think it will be regular sessions running in different shoes and having similar conversations about my "experience." 

Cool. First up an interview to figure you out a little bit, then repeated interviews/questionnaires to see what is good or no good for you. It just sounds cool to me to be able to work in that realm.

2013-10-09 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So cool! I am really loving my brooks. Tried to sign up for their lab rat program but its closed to new applications.
2013-10-09 1:20 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

So cool! I am really loving my brooks. Tried to sign up for their lab rat program but its closed to new applications.

I tried last year and got the same results.

2013-10-09 1:54 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Faching awesome! Do you get free shoes? Maybe you get those anyway? You liven the chosen life, my friend. Too cool!

2013-10-09 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Asalzwed But I should add, what I found really fascinating in talking with the engineer is that my "feelings" were validated. I don't really have the shoe lingo down, so in expressing myself I was just kind of, defining my experiences per my own vocabulary and then defining that. He said I was very unique in my passion and feelings (LOL!) I guess a lot of people just come in and say, "I run in this shoe with these orthotics because my doctor told me to." Period. And perhaps that is part of the problem, right?

I think this is what they are after, passion. And a non-influenced viewpoint.

2013-10-09 2:06 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Asalzwed But I should add, what I found really fascinating in talking with the engineer is that my "feelings" were validated. I don't really have the shoe lingo down, so in expressing myself I was just kind of, defining my experiences per my own vocabulary and then defining that. He said I was very unique in my passion and feelings (LOL!) I guess a lot of people just come in and say, "I run in this shoe with these orthotics because my doctor told me to." Period. And perhaps that is part of the problem, right?

VERY COOL about the whole lab rat thing.

I think you're right in that a lot of people won't take the time to analyze how the shoe feels not only on their foot, but also how their body will react to the different manufacturers/styles that they're wearing.  I know for myself, I usually only have one pair of running shoes at a time (I know, I know - and I WILL get at least 1 more pair, I promise) and just trust that whoever is selling them the shoes knows what's best.  

Now that I'm thinking about it, I should probably keep a log or something on how the shoes are fitting and feeling after runs of various distances. 

Thanks Salty!

2013-10-09 2:14 PM

User image

Seattle

Faching awesome! Do you get free shoes? Maybe you get those anyway? You liven the chosen life, my friend. Too cool!

I get discounted shoes on the regular but with this Brooks thing, I imagine it's different every time but on this particular occasion,  they let me pick anything I wanted out of their current apparel catalog.

2013-10-09 2:19 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I get discounted shoes on the regular but with this Brooks thing, I imagine it's different every time but on this particular occasion,  they let me pick anything I wanted out of their current apparel catalog.

NO WAY!  You certainly fancy now.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  

of 440