BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 440

2013-10-09 2:24 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes)

I desperately need some advice.

First, prepare to be appalled. I work out twice, every day. Which means a TON of NASTY laundry. Finally J put her foot down and asked if I would keep my stuff completely separate of our other laundry 100% of the time (which is totally reasonable, I might add.) Anyway, I got a separate basket for my stuff but dear god, does it stink. Like, "the funk of 40 thousand years." I washed it all and put it in the dryer but when I went outside near the dryer exhaust I NEARLY DIED. I can only imagine what our neighbors must think ...

I had to wash it twice and it's still not great.

Any tips???????

Don't make me go to TT for this. I may never be able to return to BT.

2013-10-09 2:25 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by Asalzwed
Originally posted by cdban66

I had the privilege of going to the Brooks HQ and testing a bunch of shoes (a bunch of brands, not just Brooks) yesterday. It was fantastic. Not just the testing part, which was really interesting, but the conversations I had with the engineers afterward once our session was over. 

They want me to be part of an 18 month project. So it will be really cool to continue with this. 

What does the project consist of?

It has to do with the runners experience. What that means and how we (runners) define that.

As far as my commitments and what that looks like? I don't know yet. If I had to guess, I think it will be regular sessions running in different shoes and having similar conversations about my "experience." 

Faching awesome! Do you get free shoes? Maybe you get those anyway? You liven the chosen life, my friend. Too cool!

I get discounted shoes on the regular but with this Brooks thing, I imagine it's different every time but on this particular occasion,  they let me pick anything I wanted out of their current apparel catalog.

NO WAY!  You certainly fancy now.

You can put lipstick on a pig ...

2013-10-09 2:30 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

First, prepare to be appalled. I work out twice, every day. Which means a TON of NASTY laundry. Finally J put her foot down and asked if I would keep my stuff completely separate of our other laundry 100% of the time (which is totally reasonable, I might add.) Anyway, I got a separate basket for my stuff but dear god, does it stink. Like, "the funk of 40 thousand years." I washed it all and put it in the dryer but when I went outside near the dryer exhaust I NEARLY DIED. I can only imagine what our neighbors must think ...

Any tips???????

I do the same thing - all of our workout clothes are in a separate hamper because HOLY FACHING HELL does that stuff ever reek.  And I think it gets exponentially worse with ever article of clothing that gets added...

Anyways, I don't ever put my workout stuff in the dryer other than socks - it all gets the hang dry treatment which is kind of amusing in our place as there isn't enough room to have a drying rack so it basically gets hung on the bikes, the closet doors, the bathroom door, the front door...

Also, I've been told that every so often to add a capful of vinegar to help get rid of the overpowering stench of 40 thousand years, which (I think?) has also helped with the gag-producing odor of our workout clothes. 

2013-10-09 2:30 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Any tips???????

Borax powder in the wash can help.  Do you have a utility sink where you can soak some stuff until you wash it?  How long is the stuff sitting until you wash it?  Is there anyway you can hang it to dry instead of a dryer?  UV kills bacteria.
2013-10-09 2:32 PM

Master
Northern IL

Any tips???????

I have several drying racks up on the bathroom wall. Everything from a workout goes up there to hang for awhile. My sense of smell is terrible though, so might not help much. Has to be better than sitting in a laundry basket while damp/wet/soaked from a workout though.

2013-10-09 2:35 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Interesting. Thanks all! Glad it's apparently not just me.

I'll just hang dry. I hadn't really thought of that. I can't really do it outside since I live in, uh, Seattle. But we have a lot of railings I can drape it over. I've also read a bit about pre-soaking in vinegar. I'll try that as well.

My neighbors thank you in advance.

2013-10-09 2:42 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

OK, swimming peeps.  A few of questions:

At what point should you stop your workout because your form/speed is suffering to much?  Is there a definitive way to make this call? 

Similar question, I have been hitting around 3000yds for the last week, but my arms are pretty dead at the end of that.  I could push through and increase my ydg, but I would have to swim really slowly to do it.  How do you increase yardage?  Do you just accept that your workouts/technique is going to suffer a bit to get to 3500 yds or 4000yds?  What is a reasonable step up?

I have been breathing every two, as that's really what I need to do in races to feel like I'm getting enough.  I'm pretty comfortable on both sides, but I've noticed I end up with a bit of a giddy-up in my stroke when I do that instead of it being more balanced on both sides.  Is that OK, or should I be working to fix that?

2013-10-09 2:47 PM

User image

Master

We have put small hooks (think cup hooks) in the wall of our laundry alcove.  Thin plastic hangers hang perfectly.  When we run out of space, it gets hung on the coat closet door handles or the shower curtain bar. 

I have never tried it, but there are detergents made for this that apparently work well.

2013-10-09 2:57 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I had the privilege of going to the Brooks HQ and testing a bunch of shoes (a bunch of brands, not just Brooks) yesterday. It was fantastic. Not just the testing part, which was really interesting, but the conversations I had with the engineers afterward once our session was over. 

They want me to be part of an 18 month project. So it will be really cool to continue with this. 

That's so cool!!!  I'm jealous.

2013-10-09 2:59 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Any tips???????

Put in white vinegar.

Forgot that you left wet laundry in the machine and it now smells moldy? Pour a few cups of white distilled vinegar in the machine and wash the clothes in hot water. Then run a normal cycle with detergent.

2013-10-09 3:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Gig Harbor

It has to do with the runners experience. What that means and how we (runners) define that.

As far as my commitments and what that looks like? I don't know yet. If I had to guess, I think it will be regular sessions running in different shoes and having similar conversations about my "experience." 

Please tell them to go back to the center lacing on the Pure Flow's. I love my Pure Flows -but the weird lacing on the Pure Flow 2's was almost enough to make me switch to another shoe.  I have high arches, and this weird lacing makes it tough to put the shoes on, and line up the tongue.  

Totally awesome you get to be a part of this

Edited by Muskrat37 2013-10-09 3:14 PM

2013-10-09 3:16 PM
in reply to: Muskrat37

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by Muskrat37

Please tell them to go back to the center lacing on the Pure Flow's. I love my Pure Flows -but the weird lacing on the Pure Flow 2's was almost enough to make me switch to another shoe.  I have high arches, and this weird lacing makes it tough to put the shoes on, and line up the tongue.  

Well, it doesn't exactly work like that, lol.

I love the asymmetrical lacing and look for it in nearly every shoe I wear. I too have high arches but I like the system for that reason. 

2013-10-09 3:17 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

At what point should you stop your workout because your form/speed is suffering to much?  Is there a definitive way to make this call? 

Similar question, I have been hitting around 3000yds for the last week, but my arms are pretty dead at the end of that.  I could push through and increase my ydg, but I would have to swim really slowly to do it.  How do you increase yardage?  Do you just accept that your workouts/technique is going to suffer a bit to get to 3500 yds or 4000yds?  What is a reasonable step up?

I have been breathing every two, as that's really what I need to do in races to feel like I'm getting enough.  I'm pretty comfortable on both sides, but I've noticed I end up with a bit of a giddy-up in my stroke when I do that instead of it being more balanced on both sides.  Is that OK, or should I be working to fix that?

I wish I had some answers for you, but I'm not a swimmer.  For ME, I just swam more to get used to the longer distances, and some of it may have been slower, but eventually the body got used to it and the form picked up again. 

Hopefully one of the Manatees that is a swimmer can chime in and give you better advice. 

2013-10-09 3:19 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Master
Originally posted by Artemis

Any tips???????

Put in white vinegar.

Forgot that you left wet laundry in the machine and it now smells moldy? Pour a few cups of white distilled vinegar in the machine and wash the clothes in hot water. Then run a normal cycle with detergent.

Xwhatever now on the white vinegar. We've also used WIN. Our dining room table/chairs haven't been used for dining in a year...daily drying racks
2013-10-09 3:20 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I love when good things happen for good people.

2013-10-09 3:27 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Any tips???????

Yeah, workout stuff stench... 

Thankfully we have an unfinished basement with a cement floor where the washer and dryer live.  Dirty clothes get the heave ho down the steps and spread themselves out on the floor (read: not all bunched up in a pile so therefore able to air dry before they get washed and not perpetuate more funk).  When it is time to wash them, I use regular detergent and then hang any tech fabric objects on washlines in the basement.  I realize your living arrangement is not the same as mine, but maybe you could look into a drying rack which doesn't take up much room or those retractable washlines for camping (or just find somewhere to string up a washline and take it down) so you can take them down or move them around as needed.

Good luck!

2013-10-09 3:29 PM

User image

Master
Gig Harbor

Oh no - I'm feeling myself getting sucked back in to the Pod Life....  I don't have time to keep up with all you chatty Cathy's.

Any who... I will answer some of your questions, but before I attempt to answer the other questions I have a few of my own... how many days a week are you swimming?  What types of workouts are you doing now?  How much of your workout is devoted to drills?  What level of swimmer are you (beginner, intermediate, advanced)? How is your form now (catch and pull, kick etc)?

Don't worry about breathing every 3... (some will disagree with me on this).  I personally only breath on my left.  I breath every 4 (for the most part).  If I need an extra breath, I will add in an extra one on the 2nd stroke.  So my breathing pattern will be something like 4,4,4,2 - 4,4,2 - 4,4,4,2 and so on.  

I would work on building up your lung capacity.  Whether that means you breath every 4 or every 3 - that is up to you.  Do what is comfortable for you.  Breathing slows you down, and for most people, your stroke will break down while taking a breath.  This means that if you breath every 2, you will work harder to travel 25 yards than if you breath every 4.  Does that make sense?  

How to work on your lung capacity?  Again - maybe controversial, but I would do some sprints.  Get the heart rate up.  When you do sprints... try to go the length of the pool taking as few breaths as possible.  Add a set up 6 X 25 with a 10 second rest to the end of your workout, but before your cool down.  Try to get to 1 or zero breaths per 25.  When you can do 6 x 25 with only 1 breath or less - bump it up to 8, then 10 and so on.  This will also help you build endurance for long swims.  Depending on your swimming level - this should also help you drop time on your long swim.  

Hope this helps...

2013-10-09 3:33 PM

User image

Master
Gig Harbor

I love the asymmetrical lacing and look for it in nearly every shoe I wear. I too have high arches but I like the system for that reason. 

Oh well - it was worth a shot.  Sounds like even if it did work like that, you wouldn't make the recommendation for me anyways. LOL  

Funny how 2 people (both with high arches) have totally different reactions to something like asymmetrical lacing (thanks for teaching me a new term)..  

2013-10-09 3:40 PM

User image

Seattle

Oh well - it was worth a shot.  Sounds like even if it did work like that, you wouldn't make the recommendation for me anyways. LOL  

Funny how 2 people (both with high arches) have totally different reactions to something like asymmetrical lacing (thanks for teaching me a new term)..  

Exactly! And it's kind of inline with what I was saying, or at least alluding to earlier, that the way we feel in shoes - the things we do and don't like - should ultimately dictate what we wear. Not a heck of a lot else. 

2013-10-09 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by AsalzwedBut I should add, what I found really fascinating in talking with the engineer is that my "feelings" were validated. I don't really have the shoe lingo down, so in expressing myself I was just kind of, defining my experiences per my own vocabulary and then defining that. He said I was very unique in my passion and feelings (LOL!) I guess a lot of people just come in and say, "I run in this shoe with these orthotics because my doctor told me to." Period. And perhaps that is part of the problem, right?
The 18mo project is very cool! I hope it will include more discussions like this...specific and mutually understood feedback. Awesome
2013-10-09 3:43 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Oh no - I'm feeling myself getting sucked back in to the Pod Life.... :)  I don't have time to keep up with all you chatty Cathy's.

Any who... I will answer some of your questions, but before I attempt to answer the other questions I have a few of my own... how many days a week are you swimming?  What types of workouts are you doing now?  How much of your workout is devoted to drills?  What level of swimmer are you (beginner, intermediate, advanced)? How is your form now (catch and pull, kick etc)?

Don't worry about breathing every 3... (some will disagree with me on this).  I personally only breath on my left.  I breath every 4 (for the most part).  If I need an extra breath, I will add in an extra one on the 2nd stroke.  So my breathing pattern will be something like 4,4,4,2 - 4,4,2 - 4,4,4,2 and so on.  

I would work on building up your lung capacity.  Whether that means you breath every 4 or every 3 - that is up to you.  Do what is comfortable for you.  Breathing slows you down, and for most people, your stroke will break down while taking a breath.  This means that if you breath every 2, you will work harder to travel 25 yards than if you breath every 4.  Does that make sense?  

How to work on your lung capacity?  Again - maybe controversial, but I would do some sprints.  Get the heart rate up.  When you do sprints... try to go the length of the pool taking as few breaths as possible.  Add a set up 6 X 25 with a 10 second rest to the end of your workout, but before your cool down.  Try to get to 1 or zero breaths per 25.  When you can do 6 x 25 with only 1 breath or less - bump it up to 8, then 10 and so on.  This will also help you build endurance for long swims.  Depending on your swimming level - this should also help you drop time on your long swim.  

Hope this helps...

Haha--I don't know if I should answer your questions; I don't want to draw you into the Pod... ;)

I've just restarted a swim focus.  My plan is to swim at least 5 days a week, but I haven't been swimming regularly since last spring.  There were a few weeks this summer I was in twice, but it was more often one or none.

I'm OK.  My oly swims I was 1:38-1:40/100yds and my HIM I was 1:48/100yds.  Shockingly, that's enough to put me MOP or higher in all of my races.  I would say I'm not a beginner, but I'm not an intermediate either.  Somewhere in the middle.

Catch is getting better, body position could use some work, and my kick is pretty non-existent unless I'm doing short stuff in the pool. I do a really light flutter in races until the last 150 yds or so, and then I'll do a decent 6 beat.

I have never done a set to work on lung capacity.  Never ever.  I will work in the 6 x 25 at the end of my sets. I can swim underwater the length of the pool, but I don't ever do repeats of that;)

2013-10-09 3:51 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

If I notice my form going to h3ll in a handbasket and it feels bad I stop.  It's been a while since I did that, I am told my swim looks pretty---it's just faching SLOW.  

As far as breathing goes, I try to alternate between every 3-5 strokes most of the time with the occasional 7 strokes/ breath which has me completely undone. 

2013-10-09 3:53 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Originally posted by melbo55

I love when good things happen for good people.

I hear their lab rat wear tester program is pretty tight--awesome you got in.  You run so many surfaces and conditions that they could have you test out a huge variety of gear.
2013-10-09 4:17 PM

Master
Northern IL

It's in the set design. Didn't see much detail there when looking at the logs, or are you really swimming straight through? The bigger ones we do tend to have bit more moderate to moderately hard work at various points of the set whereas the shorter 1 hr days tend to be harder throughout.

I might stop if I'm not making the send-off I should be able to. Or if stroke count is falling off. I don't really count every time, but have a good enough feel to know if it's going down. This is also accompanied by not making the send-off. Or if I have that really burnt up feeling. Happens in the other sports too when I have too much fatigue going in.

What's a "giddy-up"?

2013-10-09 4:24 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by QueenZipp

If I notice my form going to h3ll in a handbasket and it feels bad I stop.  It's been a while since I did that, I am told my swim looks pretty---it's just faching SLOW.  

As far as breathing goes, I try to alternate between every 3-5 strokes most of the time with the occasional 7 strokes/ breath which has me completely undone. 

Every 3 or 5?!?! or 7??? WTH?  Why are you doing that?  Why do you hate oxygen?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  

of 440