BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 65

2011-05-24 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3515348

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED

docswim24 - 2011-05-24 8:21 AM
Fred Doucette - 2011-05-24 6:42 AM Jason I would go more 40/8 at higher intensity. I don't think you want to run so much 1 week before a big race. Ignore my 17 miler before my recent race as that olympic was not an 'A' race.
Agree with Fred - I would back off. You are not going to get any fitness. I would go with 30-40 on the bike, with some tempo work in the middle and 8 on the run with a few strides mixed in.

x3 

2011-05-24 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3515361

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
docswim24 - 2011-05-24 8:26 AM
Fred Doucette - 2011-05-23 8:39 PM

OK, ready to start training again tomorrow. 2 of the last 3 days with no training is not a normal phenomenon for me.

I really don't feel any soreness or fatigue from my race, which is strange because usually I am more sore after even an olympic. Wonder what gives??

Same thing with me. I used to get sore after an Oly and very sore after a 1/2. I am/was fine after both this year. I think it has to do with years in the sport and training paces. Looking at the race - any of the individual pieces of the race could have been a hard training day for me but none were that different than what I do in training on a regular basis (swim was but swimming is not likely to make you to sore). Thoughts?

Soreness for me really depends on the race.  But, generally, I tend to be most "sore" 2 days after a hard race.  I haven't done a hard oly in 2 years, but I looked in my logs and I swam & ran the day after.  Was a little sore on Tuesday, but still biked hard.  Wed I was forced to sleep-in and skip a swim, but the rest of the week was pretty 'typical'.

But, like you noted, I think the difference from years prior is just having a higher level of endurance which makes recovering from the harder efforts a bit easier.  Both of you have plenty of endurance and so should expect to recover pretty quickly from an oly.

2011-05-24 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3515361

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
docswim24 - 2011-05-24 7:26 AM

OK, ready to start training again tomorrow. 2 of the last 3 days with no training is not a normal phenomenon for me.

I really don't feel any soreness or fatigue from my race, which is strange because usually I am more sore after even an olympic. Wonder what gives??

Same thing with me. I used to get sore after an Oly and very sore after a 1/2. I am/was fine after both this year. I think it has to do with years in the sport and training paces. Looking at the race - any of the individual pieces of the race could have been a hard training day for me but none were that different than what I do in training on a regular basis (swim was but swimming is not likely to make you to sore). Thoughts?

I'm thinking it has to be that both you and Fred are familiar with that training pace and it sounds like you do a decent amount of weekly training at or above those paces.  Whereas a slouch like myself doesn't hit my race pace too often in training (I know I probably should do so more often), when I do hit it hard in a race I am ALWAYS sore afterward.  Similiar to John, I am also most sore 2 days afterward.  Out of curiousity, how often in a typical week/workout do you freaks (in a good way) hit or exceed race paces in training?

For me today it was an early morning brick.  60 minutes on the bike followed immediately by 30 ez run.  Good workout...felt good. 

2011-05-24 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3515447

User image

JohnnyKay - 2011-05-24 3:01 AM

docswim24 - 2011-05-24 8:21 AM
Fred Doucette - 2011-05-24 6:42 AM Jason I would go more 40/8 at higher intensity. I don't think you want to run so much 1 week before a big race. Ignore my 17 miler before my recent race as that olympic was not an 'A' race.
Agree with Fred - I would back off. You are not going to get any fitness. I would go with 30-40 on the bike, with some tempo work in the middle and 8 on the run with a few strides mixed in.

x3 

Good stuff...thanks for the feedback.

2011-05-24 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3435035

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Bike this morning and 55 minutes of running (in the water) this afternoon.  Working on getting an ortho appointment to check on my back/hip but no one wants to call me back.
2011-05-24 10:38 AM
in reply to: #3515758

User image

Master
Reston, VA
sbsmann - 2011-05-24 10:43 AM

I'm thinking it has to be that both you and Fred are familiar with that training pace and it sounds like you do a decent amount of weekly training at or above those paces.  Whereas a slouch like myself doesn't hit my race pace too often in training (I know I probably should do so more often), when I do hit it hard in a race I am ALWAYS sore afterward.  Similiar to John, I am also most sore 2 days afterward.  Out of curiousity, how often in a typical week/workout do you freaks (in a good way) hit or exceed race paces in training?

For me today it was an early morning brick.  60 minutes on the bike followed immediately by 30 ez run.  Good workout...felt good. 

Not freaks - just consistent.

Swimming - I swim harder than Oly race pace for at least 1/2 of every swim practice unless it is a pure recovery swim, like yesterday, the day after a race (I also will do a recovery swim after a long run). So 2x per week.

Bike - My short rides (1-1.5 hour) are usually pretty close to my effort at an Oly (Power for the training ride will usually be within 0-10% of power at my Oly race). I try to get in 2 shorter/hard rides per week. I stalked John, Fred and Bryan when I first got on BT and noted that a lot of their longer rides were either at or above their racing pace/effort level. It took a few years for me to be able to do this but I think doing it significantly improved my biking.

Run - much less often on the run. Maybe 10% of my weekly volume will be at race pace and this has taken me years to build up to.

2011-05-24 11:05 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-05-24 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3515898

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
docswim24 - 2011-05-24 10:38 AM
sbsmann - 2011-05-24 10:43 AM

Not freaks - just consistent. Swimming - I swim harder than Oly race pace for at least 1/2 of every swim practice unless it is a pure recovery swim, like yesterday, the day after a race (I also will do a recovery swim after a long run). So 2x per week. Bike - My short rides (1-1.5 hour) are usually pretty close to my effort at an Oly (Power for the training ride will usually be within 0-10% of power at my Oly race). I try to get in 2 shorter/hard rides per week. I stalked John, Fred and Bryan when I first got on BT and noted that a lot of their longer rides were either at or above their racing pace/effort level. It took a few years for me to be able to do this but I think doing it significantly improved my biking. Run - much less often on the run. Maybe 10% of my weekly volume will be at race pace and this has taken me years to build up to.

Thanks...good info.  I've been poking around a lot recently about pace and how hard one should go and how often.  It's definitely a perplexing topic.   One of my big concerns is injury and I know that going too hard too often can be a recipe for disaster...especially on the run.  But with the swim and the bike being fairly low impact and generally easier on the body (vs running), they seem to provide a much better opportunity to go harder more often as you indicate.  I am amazed that many of you can do your longer rides at or above race pace, but I guess that's the recipe for becomming a competitor!

2011-05-24 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3515898

Elite
Ontario

docswim24 - 2011-05-24 11:38 AM Bike - My short rides (1-1.5 hour) are usually pretty close to my effort at an Oly (Power for the training ride will usually be within 0-10% of power at my Oly race). I try to get in 2 shorter/hard rides per week. I stalked John, Fred and Bryan when I first got on BT and noted that a lot of their longer rides were either at or above their racing pace/effort level. It took a few years for me to be able to do this but I think doing it significantly improved my biking.

Dan - I'm wondering what your short bikes make up in relation to your total bikes during a week?  Riding at what I assume is close to FTP twice a week seems quite high to me - but I assume it doesn't take much of a toll on you otherwise you wouldn't be doing it.

2011-05-24 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3515980

Fred Doucette - 2011-05-24 6:05 AM There is a good thread about pedalling downhill on the bike. I really think the key to success is maintaining power for at least the first part of any downhill. So often I see people come up over a tough climb and then essentially rest at the top. My advice is to keep peddling at least until you have the downhill benefits of speed going for you.

Yup...that's my strategy too.  You learn very quickly on group rides that you can get gapped pretty big if you don't maintain power till the beginning of the downhill...and you would think you can close the gap by letting yourself recover at the top of the hill and hammering the downhill as they recover...but it's actually very difficult.

2011-05-24 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3516300

Master
Reston, VA
GoFaster - 2011-05-24 2:14 PM

docswim24 - 2011-05-24 11:38 AM Bike - My short rides (1-1.5 hour) are usually pretty close to my effort at an Oly (Power for the training ride will usually be within 0-10% of power at my Oly race). I try to get in 2 shorter/hard rides per week. I stalked John, Fred and Bryan when I first got on BT and noted that a lot of their longer rides were either at or above their racing pace/effort level. It took a few years for me to be able to do this but I think doing it significantly improved my biking.

Dan - I'm wondering what your short bikes make up in relation to your total bikes during a week?  Riding at what I assume is close to FTP twice a week seems quite high to me - but I assume it doesn't take much of a toll on you otherwise you wouldn't be doing it.

It took a few years for me to be able to do this and I spend almost all my trainer time over the winter at 90ish% of FTP (keep rides to an hour only). Oly pwr is usually between 90-95% of FTP depending on course so to be within 10% of that puts me at 90ish % of total FTP. I am entering my final 7-8 weeks of hard training for LP. My bike plan for many of these weeks is:

Tues: 1-1.5 hour ride @ 90%ish FTP
Wed: 1-1.5 hour ride @ 90%ish FTP
Fri: 1.75-2.5 hour ride @ 85%ish FTP
Sat: Long ride - 3.5-6 hour ride at 75%+ FTP

Doing this will hopefully raise my FTP from around 315ish now to 340 going into placid.

My big power increase was the winter of 2007/2008 and 2008/2009 (it has gone up a bit since then but not that much, though I am much improved at the longer rides). I spent most of these winters doing very intense 1 hour rides on the trainer 2-4 times per week. My guess is they were close to 90% of FTP every time out and they made a big difference at my shorter races and in my ability to recover.

Bryan's training rides are consistently fast, Fred's long rides are always consistent with his races and John does a lot of 2x20 @ FTP type of work. All of these approaches work I think. The common theme I see among all of them is how hard they work. You almost never see any of these guys have an easy ride.

2011-05-24 2:58 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Creepy log stalker...

Yes, I ride pretty much 100% of my rides at around 85-88% of my bike LT based on HR as I don't have a PM, but you get the general idea. Bike LT is in the low 160's bpm's. So long rides or a 90min weeday ride will be done at that effort ot higher if it's a tempo/interval day. In general I am a big proponent of riding at IM effort or better all the time as opposed to really low effort rides.
2011-05-24 3:31 PM

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
That's some really impressive bike work and it obiously works and intuitively seems like the best way to increase FTP.  I suspect riding at those levels for virtually all rides really takes some getting used to?  Personally I feel pretty confident that I would really struggle after several weeks of doing that with any regularity.  Or maybe I haven't kicked that lazy bug out of my system yet becuase I really enjoy the feel of that "easy" ride somewhere around low 80's % FTP.
2011-05-24 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3516556

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
sbsmann - 2011-05-24 2:31 PM

That's some really impressive bike work and it obiously works and intuitively seems like the best way to increase FTP.  I suspect riding at those levels for virtually all rides really takes some getting used to?  Personally I feel pretty confident that I would really struggle after several weeks of doing that with any regularity.  Or maybe I haven't kicked that lazy bug out of my system yet becuase I really enjoy the feel of that "easy" ride somewhere around low 80's % FTP.

Actually, it get's better the more you do it, but it's never super "easy".
2011-05-24 8:18 PM

I just got a huge knot in my stomach.

For the Hawaii 70.3 I'm doing...they changed the Hawaii Residency Kona slots to a random lottery, instead of the top Hawaii state finisher in each AG.

Turns out there are still 20 spots available, but only 89 Hawaii (non Big Island...they have their own separate lottery with better odds) turned in the paperwork to become eligible for those slots.  Spots are not gender or age related.  Basically my name is in a hat with 88 other people, and 20 will be drawn.  I think most people have not realized the change in the selection process.

http://c28490.r90.cf1.rackcdn.com/2010/11/2011-Hawaii-State-Resident-Entries-to-Post-Revised-5-11-11.pdf

2011-05-24 9:09 PM

Expert
Ontario
Finally was able to get out for a short run. Staying at our daughters for a little longer, will try to get out to run daily but don't have my bike with me. Missing a couple weeks of training is not ideal in prep for a HIM but other things are taking priority over tri training right now.I am enjoying reading about everyone else's training and racing.

2011-05-24 9:40 PM
in reply to: #3516479

Elite
Ontario
docswim24 - 2011-05-24 3:51 PM

It took a few years for me to be able to do this and I spend almost all my trainer time over the winter at 90ish% of FTP (keep rides to an hour only). Oly pwr is usually between 90-95% of FTP depending on course so to be within 10% of that puts me at 90ish % of total FTP. I am entering my final 7-8 weeks of hard training for LP. My bike plan for many of these weeks is: Tues: 1-1.5 hour ride @ 90%ish FTP Wed: 1-1.5 hour ride @ 90%ish FTP Fri: 1.75-2.5 hour ride @ 85%ish FTP Sat: Long ride - 3.5-6 hour ride at 75%+ FTP Doing this will hopefully raise my FTP from around 315ish now to 340 going into placid. My big power increase was the winter of 2007/2008 and 2008/2009 (it has gone up a bit since then but not that much, though I am much improved at the longer rides). I spent most of these winters doing very intense 1 hour rides on the trainer 2-4 times per week. My guess is they were close to 90% of FTP every time out and they made a big difference at my shorter races and in my ability to recover. Bryan's training rides are consistently fast, Fred's long rides are always consistent with his races and John does a lot of 2x20 @ FTP type of work. All of these approaches work I think. The common theme I see among all of them is how hard they work. You almost never see any of these guys have an easy ride.

Really good info - here's a couple of followups.  Are most of your shorter rides done steady state or interval work where the total ride nets out over 85%?  How about our other speedy bikers?  I'm assuming the standard response will be a mix of long, tempo, and interval work all work together to improve you as a cyclist.

2011-05-24 9:41 PM
in reply to: #3517001

Elite
Ontario
tri808 - 2011-05-24 9:18 PM

I just got a huge knot in my stomach.

For the Hawaii 70.3 I'm doing...they changed the Hawaii Residency Kona slots to a random lottery, instead of the top Hawaii state finisher in each AG.

Turns out there are still 20 spots available, but only 89 Hawaii (non Big Island...they have their own separate lottery with better odds) turned in the paperwork to become eligible for those slots.  Spots are not gender or age related.  Basically my name is in a hat with 88 other people, and 20 will be drawn.  I think most people have not realized the change in the selection process.

http://c28490.r90.cf1.rackcdn.com/2010/11/2011-Hawaii-State-Resident-Entries-to-Post-Revised-5-11-11.pdf

Does this mean you have a 1 in 4 shot of doing Kona this year?

2011-05-25 2:58 AM

So long as I finish the HIM...yes...a ~ 1 in 4.5 shot at a spot in Kona.  Big Island residents who turned in the necessary residency paperwork are even better.  24 out of 50 will get slots...or roughly a 50% chance.

Names will be drawn at a party at Bike Works the Saturday following the race (6/11)...and those not present will be emailed on the following Monday (6/13).  My birthday is 6/9...I think that would be a pretty cool gift don't you think?

Not holding my breath...but as that Russian guy from the movie Armagedon said..."Good Odds".

Edited by tri808 2011-05-25 3:00 AM
2011-05-25 5:27 AM
in reply to: #3517283

Pro
Nutmeg State
tri808 - 2011-05-25 3:58 AM

So long as I finish the HIM...yes...a ~ 1 in 4.5 shot at a spot in Kona.  Big Island residents who turned in the necessary residency paperwork are even better.  24 out of 50 will get slots...or roughly a 50% chance.

Names will be drawn at a party at Bike Works the Saturday following the race (6/11)...and those not present will be emailed on the following Monday (6/13).  My birthday is 6/9...I think that would be a pretty cool gift don't you think?

Not holding my breath...but as that Russian guy from the movie Armagedon said..."Good Odds".

Those are really good odds!

2011-05-25 6:38 AM
in reply to: #3517283

2011-05-25 6:39 AM
in reply to: #3517075

2011-05-25 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3517117

Master
Reston, VA
GoFaster - 2011-05-24 10:40 PM

docswim24 - 2011-05-24 3:51 PM

It took a few years for me to be able to do this and I spend almost all my trainer time over the winter at 90ish% of FTP (keep rides to an hour only). Oly pwr is usually between 90-95% of FTP depending on course so to be within 10% of that puts me at 90ish % of total FTP. I am entering my final 7-8 weeks of hard training for LP. My bike plan for many of these weeks is: Tues: 1-1.5 hour ride @ 90%ish FTP Wed: 1-1.5 hour ride @ 90%ish FTP Fri: 1.75-2.5 hour ride @ 85%ish FTP Sat: Long ride - 3.5-6 hour ride at 75%+ FTP Doing this will hopefully raise my FTP from around 315ish now to 340 going into placid. My big power increase was the winter of 2007/2008 and 2008/2009 (it has gone up a bit since then but not that much, though I am much improved at the longer rides). I spent most of these winters doing very intense 1 hour rides on the trainer 2-4 times per week. My guess is they were close to 90% of FTP every time out and they made a big difference at my shorter races and in my ability to recover. Bryan's training rides are consistently fast, Fred's long rides are always consistent with his races and John does a lot of 2x20 @ FTP type of work. All of these approaches work I think. The common theme I see among all of them is how hard they work. You almost never see any of these guys have an easy ride.

Really good info - here's a couple of followups.  Are most of your shorter rides done steady state or interval work where the total ride nets out over 85%?  How about our other speedy bikers?  I'm assuming the standard response will be a mix of long, tempo, and interval work all work together to improve you as a cyclist.

A little bit of everything for me so a lot of it at HIM watts/effort with some shorter harder (>100% FTP/sprint distance tri pace) thrown in.
2011-05-25 7:40 AM

Not a Coach
Media, PA
GoFaster - 2011-05-24 10:40 PM

Generally, short workouts are done on the trainer as intervals.  Longer intervals (10-20') at/near FT.  Some shorter intervals done harder.  Done once or twice a week.

Longer rides outside may be steady state or some moderately structured longer intervals (maybe 30-45' at a little above HIM effort).  Sometimes I will throw in some shorter, harder efforts as well.  Or do some FT intervals and then ride steady for the remainder.  The majority of my long rides are 2-3hrs and, in-season, I like to do that both Sat & Sun (Sat ride usually a bit longer/harder).

It's really all about doing the work.  The easier you ride, the longer you have to ride in order to 'do the work'.  When you ride harder, you can get away with less time.  That's basically my biggest driver for riding the way I do.

2011-05-25 7:56 AM

Edited by Fred Doucette 2011-05-25 7:56 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 65