Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2009-02-25 2:27 PM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- CLOSED

OK guys another dumb bike question (I don't want to feel like a total idiot when I go to the LBS - figured I could do that here and you guys would probably be nicerSmile).  I want to talk to them about switching out my tires to smooth ones - I guess I need to know the size that's on the bike now so they can help me decide what new ones to get?  Is there anything else I need to know about getting new ones?

Also, another silly question - I'm considering clipless pedals.  Not sure I can afford to do that right now but I want to at least see what they have.  Are pedals standard sizes, meaning are they interchangable with different cranks or would I need to get new ones of those too?  And how hard would it be to change those out if I did it myself?  Is that something that's best left to someone who's knows what they're doing? 

OK that was 2 questions - I would appreciate any advice.  I'm sure they'll be able to tell when I walk in that I don't really know much about bikes, but I'd at least like to feel like I have some idea of what they're talking about!

Thanks

Janet

2009-02-25 3:40 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Janet-- not a dumb question at all.  Don't worry about not knowing the size...it should be written on the rim somewhere (do you see any decals saying 700 x 32 or if in inches 26 x 2.1 or something like that?).  Bring the bike in.  Just tell  them you want slicks for your mtb wheels for a tri you are doing.  LBS peeps are usually super nice, they'll even put them on for you n/c if you're buying there, usually.

Re: pedals, I love my Look pedals, they have a large platform and are very easy to clip in and out of.  I tried the speedplays which some folks love because they are small and double sided, but I had the darndest time clipping into them...once I was clipped in, I would feel like my foot was pushing down onto an acorn the whole time!

Oh, and I they should work with pretty much all cranks...I have switched my pedals to and from my road and mtn bikes...you do need to use a wrench to get them on and off.  We used a regular wrench, but you can get a pedal wrench.  I watched some you-tube videos to figure out which way to loosen...I think I decided you loosen towards the back of the bike...if that makes sense...please, correct me if I'm wrong, Tony!...But Janet, they will put them on for you at the LBS and also help adjust the cleat position.

Good luck! 

Edited by kt65 2009-02-25 3:46 PM
2009-02-25 4:08 PM
in reply to: #1981672

User image

Extreme Veteran
soccermom15 - 2009-02-25 3:27 PM

OK guys another dumb bike question (I don't want to feel like a total idiot when I go to the LBS - figured I could do that here and you guys would probably be nicerSmile).  I want to talk to them about switching out my tires to smooth ones - I guess I need to know the size that's on the bike now so they can help me decide what new ones to get?  Is there anything else I need to know about getting new ones?

Also, another silly question - I'm considering clipless pedals.  Not sure I can afford to do that right now but I want to at least see what they have.  Are pedals standard sizes, meaning are they interchangable with different cranks or would I need to get new ones of those too?  And how hard would it be to change those out if I did it myself?  Is that something that's best left to someone who's knows what they're doing? 

OK that was 2 questions - I would appreciate any advice.  I'm sure they'll be able to tell when I walk in that I don't really know much about bikes, but I'd at least like to feel like I have some idea of what they're talking about!

Thanks

Janet

i'm probably not the right person to answer these questions but i'm going to try anyway..

1)maybe just take the tires into your LBS and describe what you're looking for.  that way he sees exactly what you have and he can change out the tires for you.  (i'm lazy, since my LBS is less than a block away i just take in the whole bike anytime i have a problem rather than make my situation worse, i have a good zero gravity brake story i can share some other time).

2)clipless pedals help make your pedal stroke more efficient.  it takes time to get used to..  the first time i used them i fell because i braked, lost momentum and freaked when i couldn't move my feet.  I practiced on a trainer and that helped me get used to clipping in and out.  i'm not sure what type of bike you have but installing clipless pedals are pretty easy, even i can install them. 

On a seperate note, i'm asking on behalf of my trainer.. would triathletes be interested in a DVD that showed intense 30 min workouts that target core and tri specific muscles?  He's thinking about have 4 workouts on the dvd.  one for each discipline and one general workout that potentially can be done at work (though may be embarrassing to do at work)..  originally he was targeting new yorkers as he thought most new yorkers don't have time to workout due to 80-100 hr work weeks..  i told him that based on what i've seen on BT everyone is too busy..  what are your thoughts?

Edited by trying1 2009-02-25 4:10 PM
2009-02-25 5:33 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Fun story....make fun of me...I'm a big boy!!

LBS...I really had to think about that one. I thought that maybe you american kids had a store called the "LBS". Sort of like your REI(which we do not have.).We have a MEC(Mountain Equpipment Co-op) which is similar to REI. Once I read the next post...I laughed to myself. LBS and i thought i was decent with acronyms!!! oh well have a good night all!

2009-02-25 6:10 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Trevor you do fine on your own...

Sincerely

Steve "WBKRUN"

Sorry.. Couldn't resist!

You local bike shop can help you with all your bike questions.  Just tell them you want to switch to roadie tires... slicks and they will take care of it for you.  I would hold off on the pedals.  Wait until after your race.  It does take some time to get used to (not much), but one less thing to worry about race day!  Also one thing to really keep in mind is how much money you are sinking into your Mtn. Bike.  It may get to the point where you look at buying a used bike on craigslist with everything you need on it....  For know you are fine, but be careful not to spend too much!

2009-02-25 6:17 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Very interesting reading tonight.

Food: Iwould love to tell everyone that I have no trouble at all with it but that would be a huge lie. I do have some added advantage in not overindulging in things like sweets and desserts as I get bad hives if I do. Still its not easy trying to eat a good healthy balanced diet. One must really focus on it.

Stanley I would be interested in seeing what your guy has for core trainng as I ma in need of some. I have some hip flexor issues right now that a stronger core would help with.  

I just take my whole bike into the L(ocal) B(ike) S(hop).  They have been great and didn't make me feel like a rookie. They helped me with everything from getting the bike tuned up to assiting me with getting clipless pedals, shoes and aero bars. They even told me to hold off on a couple of things because they were going on sale in a couple of weeks. Overall a great bunch of people.

These posts are getting really long trying to keep up with everyone.

2009-02-25 6:43 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Hey Rob they have LBS's in  your part of Canada?? Wow, be nice to get one here one day.

And you too Steven Wbkrun!!

Time to throw the kids in the bathtub, and watch some kids shows!

2009-02-25 6:57 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Janet

I bought an inexpensive pair of double sided MTB pedals for my hybrid when I first started riding.  I was lucky enough to find some inexpensive shoes to go with them.  They worked fine and I transitioned them to my road bike for several years.   I agree with Steve they take a little while to get used to so you may want to wait until after the race, but they definitely are worth the investment.

I feel like a total dork re: bikes too.  Going through the process of buying a tri bike makes me realize how little I know about the components.  Once I start talking to serious bike dudes in any LBS, all I hear is blah,cranks, blah, wheels, blah.......

Suzy

2009-02-25 7:42 PM

User image

Pro
Holy crap I made the news... My buddy paused the video at the worst possible time, and made a snapshot of it, but what the heck... This was down in Paso Robles... They were asking us about the Tour!

(News.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
News.JPG (31KB - 9 downloads)
2009-02-25 8:20 PM
in reply to: #1982253

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Thats awesome steve, lol you are famous!

Mad right now, my wife and I had worked out a baby sitter just now so we could go see a screening of Road to Roubaix (cycling movie, looks very cool)

Been trying for 2 days to set someone up.  Finally get it worked out, just went online to get tickets.... SOLD OUT!

GRRR.

2009-02-25 11:31 PM
in reply to: #1982253

User image

Expert
B'ham
Nice Elvis impression Steve-O

2009-02-26 6:42 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
That's not so bad a picture. You could have been picking a zit in your nose or something like that. Congrats on your 15 seconds of fame
2009-02-26 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1982106

User image

Expert
Missouri

swbkrun - 2009-02-25 6:10 PM

You local bike shop can help you with all your bike questions.  Just tell them you want to switch to roadie tires... slicks and they will take care of it for you.  I would hold off on the pedals.  Wait until after your race.  It does take some time to get used to (not much), but one less thing to worry about race day!  Also one thing to really keep in mind is how much money you are sinking into your Mtn. Bike.  It may get to the point where you look at buying a used bike on craigslist with everything you need on it....  For know you are fine, but be careful not to spend too much!

That's one of the reasons that I was sort of on the fence about the pedals.  I don't want to spend a lot if I'm going to end up buying a bike within the next 6 months to a year (I'm only planning to do 2 sprints during that time anyway).   And like you guys said, I don't know that I would have the time to get used to them before my first one.  It's nice to know a little bit about them though, for when I'm ready.

Thanks for the responses - I appreciate the help! 

2009-02-26 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Had to pop in a brag this morning about a PR!   Snuck in a quick run before book club last night and did a sub 10 min mile pace!  It was a 9:58min/mile pace but still, sub ten is sub ten!!!!  I know it is not fast for some of you speed demons out there, but the best part was I wanted to keep going and wasn't even breathing hard when I was finished!!!!

Things are getting a little exciting at work on the exercise front.  A group of us are racing in a 5K on Saturday and the bet is the LAST one across the finish line has to buy pizza for everyone else.  A few guys have been talking lots of smack that they can gut it out and beat me for a 5K, even though they don't exercise at all.  Last night we all ran a test run on our own and the girls are KILLING the guys.  I'm having a good morning! LaughingLaughingLaughing

2009-02-26 8:49 AM
in reply to: #1982982

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
soccermom15 - 2009-02-26 9:42 AM

swbkrun - 2009-02-25 6:10 PM

That's one of the reasons that I was sort of on the fence about the pedals.  I don't want to spend a lot if I'm going to end up buying a bike within the next 6 months to a year (I'm only planning to do 2 sprints during that time anyway).   And like you guys said, I don't know that I would have the time to get used to them before my first one.  It's nice to know a little bit about them though, for when I'm ready.

Thanks for the responses - I appreciate the help! 

I'm going against the grain with this one. I agree on being cautious about spending too much on parts, but I think pedals would be a good investment when you are ready.  They are something easily transfered to a new bike so I don't view it as money wasted.  When I first started out I was on a borrowed bike but I bought my own pedals and bike shoes, was fitted with the pedals, and then transferred the setup to my new bike when the time was right.  But all the posts above make very good points.  Mainly I would adivse don't by lesser quality if you can transfer it from bike to bike.  It would be throwing away money (in my opinion) to keep upgrading instead of buying quality the first time.  I'm not advising $400 pedals mind you, but get what you want the first time so you'll continue to be happy with the purchase.

2009-02-26 9:35 AM
in reply to: #1982986

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
tahrens - 2009-02-26 9:43 AM

Had to pop in a brag this morning about a PR!   Snuck in a quick run before book club last night and did a sub 10 min mile pace!  It was a 9:58min/mile pace but still, sub ten is sub ten!!!!  I know it is not fast for some of you speed demons out there, but the best part was I wanted to keep going and wasn't even breathing hard when I was finished!!!!

Things are getting a little exciting at work on the exercise front.  A group of us are racing in a 5K on Saturday and the bet is the LAST one across the finish line has to buy pizza for everyone else.  A few guys have been talking lots of smack that they can gut it out and beat me for a 5K, even though they don't exercise at all.  Last night we all ran a test run on our own and the girls are KILLING the guys.  I'm having a good morning! LaughingLaughingLaughing

Congrats on the PB Tracy. Can't wait to hear how badly you beat those smart a$$ guys at work. Hope you knock their socks off.

Also I agree with Tracy on the pedals and shoes. If you have any intention of continuing on with riding even if you are not going to do too many tris they would be a good investment. I am using a road bike that is about 25 years old. (excellent bike back then).I have invested in clipless pedals, shoes and aero bars which can all be transferred over to a new bike once I get one. You will get what you pay for so don't go too cheap. In the long run it will end up costing you more.

2009-02-26 11:21 AM

User image

Pro
Tracy... They will come out of the gates quick, but will soon tire!  You will kick there butts!!! Congrats yesterday!
2009-02-26 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

Tracy...thinking about a little strategy for your race against the guys.  The one thing that might keep these guys motivated (thinking from a guys point of view) might be drafting BEHIND a couple of women...you get the pic?

I am thinking that maybe you should pace just behind these guys and PUSH them to stay ahead like you are doing everything you can just to keep up.  Push them till their tongues are hanging out, then blow them away the last half mile.

2009-02-26 12:12 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Wow I actually agree with Tracy...When you buy a new bike, it won't come with pedals anyhow. So you'll need to buy some then. So whether you get them now or later shouldn't matter. Pedals are an very important part of the bike obviously. You still have 10 weeks to get used to them , so that shouldnt be an issue.

And Congrats on the PR Tracy. 2 seconds is 2 seconds. It is still the fastest you've ever done it. That is by far the most important thing.

Steve, at least you looked aero out there! Representing Starbucks Nation!

Edited by TrevorC 2009-02-26 2:40 PM
2009-02-26 3:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

Hi all,

Just checking in.  I have been doing nothing and feeling horrible about it.  I have had the worse headache ever since last Tuesday.  My Dr. thought it might be the medicine I was taking after being in the hospital, so I stopped the steroids and finished the antibiotics.  Didn't help.  I had a CT scan on Monday and good news - no tumor!! Laughing But it did show that I have a sinus infection.  She did not know how that was possible after being on IV antibiotics for 5 days and regular antibiotics for a week!  Anyway, I have a new antibiotic, and still have a horrible headache!  I have become such a whiner!!  Anybody have a headache that would not go away?  What did you do?  I have gotten to the point that I am willing to try any thing.  Leaches?  Drilling holes in my head?  Cutting off a finger with a plastic knife to take my mind off the pain in my head?  Any and all suggestion will be tried!!

Thanks to everybody who has been checking up on me - it means a lot!  Sorry I haven't replied individually yet. 

Keep up the good workouts and PRs.   At least I can read about what you all are doing!

Karen 

2009-02-26 3:46 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Karen,

Sorry to hear about your pain.  I had a non-stop headache for a while where they did a CT scan looking for tumors as well.  Turned out I had a severe mis-alignment in my neck that my chiropractor now takes care of.  In your case though it sounds like you picked up a nasty resistant bug.  That sucks!  I know how you feel. Will they give you any type of pain killers to go with the new antibiotics, just so you can make it through the day?  Hang in there.

2009-02-26 6:53 PM
in reply to: #1984147

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
gadgetlaw - 2009-02-26 3:36 PM

Hi all,

Just checking in.  I have been doing nothing and feeling horrible about it.  I have had the worse headache ever since last Tuesday.  My Dr. thought it might be the medicine I was taking after being in the hospital, so I stopped the steroids and finished the antibiotics.  Didn't help.  I had a CT scan on Monday and good news - no tumor!! Laughing But it did show that I have a sinus infection.  She did not know how that was possible after being on IV antibiotics for 5 days and regular antibiotics for a week!  Anyway, I have a new antibiotic, and still have a horrible headache!  I have become such a whiner!!  Anybody have a headache that would not go away?  What did you do?  I have gotten to the point that I am willing to try any thing.  Leaches?  Drilling holes in my head?  Cutting off a finger with a plastic knife to take my mind off the pain in my head?  Any and all suggestion will be tried!!

Thanks to everybody who has been checking up on me - it means a lot!  Sorry I haven't replied individually yet. 

Keep up the good workouts and PRs.   At least I can read about what you all are doing!

Karen 

Karen

Really sorry to hear abou the non stop headaches.  I used to get cluster headaches in college when I was under a lot of stress or hormonal (sorry guys!).  They could last for months at a time.  Like you, my doctor tried a lot of different things including morphine which did nothing but make me useless in the library. I also tried massage, no caffeine, aromatherapy and on an on.  I eventually went to a headache specialist at the UW pain clinic and he gave me 10 days of prednisone to knock them out and a Calcium Channel Blocker for daily prevention (Sorry, I don't remember which one).  I went off the meds when I got out of undergrad and have been fine ever since.

One other weird question, are you a frowner? do you have any lines between  your eyes at the bridge of your nose?  People can get headaches for that reason too.    Sounds weird, but very true.   I used to be one of those people, not anymore.

Feel better,

Suzy

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-02-26 6:57 PM
2009-02-27 12:06 AM

User image

Pro
Oh my GOODNESS?!  Karen please take care of yourself and keep us posted! I hope that things get better for you QUICKLY!
2009-02-27 7:17 AM
in reply to: #1985044

User image

Champion

swbkrun - 2009-02-27 1:06 AM Oh my GOODNESS?!  Karen please take care of yourself and keep us posted! I hope that things get better for you QUICKLY!

x2 Karen.

And yes I am slacking off this week.  Sick + really busy at work = bad combination for training.

Really want to see if I can get in my tempo run today feeling a bit better but it is supposed to rain this afternoon so we'll see.

Very pumped up for my fit on Sunday, though it is supposed to rain and snow then so who knows when I will be able to get it out on the road.

2009-02-27 8:07 AM
in reply to: #1985181

User image

Champion
Oh, and how does that Girl passing on left group allready have 87 pages of posts...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73