BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 62

2013-12-02 9:35 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?)

Originally posted by jmkizer

Manatees, what is your favorite winter running tight?  I'm in the market for a new pair.

I've done alright with a pair of older Sugoi SubZero tights. They were actually non-padded cycling when I got them, but worked well for a variety of activities (cycling, running, skiing, etc).

2013-12-02 9:41 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Manatees, what is your favorite winter running tight?  I'm in the market for a new pair.

I have 2 pair of Under Armour Cold Gear I like and a Reebok pair as well, both brands are brushed fleece lined for colder weather.  For slightly less cold I have a pair from EMS I like.

2013-12-02 10:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

I have 2 pair of Under Armour Cold Gear I like and a Reebok pair as well, both brands are brushed fleece lined for colder weather.  For slightly less cold I have a pair from EMS I like.

I like my UA as well.  Although I did see a pair of these over the weekend and would LOF to try them.

So, I'm back! I've been crazy-stoopid-busy and home and work. Training has suffered some but I tried to at least get my runs done. Anyway the busy-ness was supposed to continue through this week but my week, er, um, opened up. So now I'm left with a dilemma. There is a reverse sprint this weekend. I didn't sign up because I thought I'd be busy all week.  But now... my training lately has suffered, but it's "only" a sprint. It's one I've wanted to do for a couple years but church stuff trumped. Hmmmmm.

Edited by rrrunner 2013-12-02 10:55 AM
2013-12-02 12:31 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Oh! And it looks like I have a chance to take 8 weekly one-hour swim classes with a local swimmer/triathlete/technique coach for only $80. DH says do it so I probably will. I think I will end up missing a class or two because of church and travel though.

2013-12-02 12:38 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner

I like my UA as well.  Although I did see a pair of these over the weekend and would LOF to try them.

So, I'm back! I've been crazy-stoopid-busy and home and work. Training has suffered some but I tried to at least get my runs done. Anyway the busy-ness was supposed to continue through this week but my week, er, um, opened up. So now I'm left with a dilemma. There is a reverse sprint this weekend. I didn't sign up because I thought I'd be busy all week.  But now... my training lately has suffered, but it's "only" a sprint. It's one I've wanted to do for a couple years but church stuff trumped. Hmmmmm.

Do the reverse sprint just because you've wanted to and therefore for fun.  Dooooo eeeeeet!  Your training hasn't been THAT lax, has it?  I could look before posting this but I'm feeling lazy.

2013-12-02 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm glad that your week opened up and as for the reverse sprint -- DOOO EEET!

2013-12-02 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I agree!
2013-12-02 2:06 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando
As usual, I went home for lunch, took off my shoes and put on flip flops. Then for like the 3d time this year, I forgot to put my real shoes back on. So, I am sitting in my office wearing flip flops with socks. A classic look I guess I should be happy that I was not wearing a skirt and teaching at the college today like one of my other I forgot to change my shoes episodes!
2013-12-02 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

I agree!

Wellll, logic got the better of me and I opted for the swim clinic instead. So this sunday I have the first of 8 classes with Coach Matt. I spoke with him on the phone and he asked a lot about my swimming "history" and said he thinks he can help me. Yay!

Edited by rrrunner 2013-12-02 2:23 PM
2013-12-02 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723 As usual, I went home for lunch, took off my shoes and put on flip flops. Then for like the 3d time this year, I forgot to put my real shoes back on. So, I am sitting in my office wearing flip flops with socks. A classic look I guess I should be happy that I was not wearing a skirt and teaching at the college today like one of my other I forgot to change my shoes episodes!

This cracks me up. I think I'd love to walk in to the AUSA's office and see them wearing flip flops!

2013-12-02 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Another question for the Manatees, for those of you with running watches, how many fields do you have displayed on your main screen?  What fields do you find most useful?

As an aside for Monica, have you tried a foot pod (since you have satellite interference due to the buildings)?

2013-12-02 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723 As usual, I went home for lunch, took off my shoes and put on flip flops. Then for like the 3d time this year, I forgot to put my real shoes back on. So, I am sitting in my office wearing flip flops with socks. A classic look I guess I should be happy that I was not wearing a skirt and teaching at the college today like one of my other I forgot to change my shoes episodes!

It's a Monday all right!

When I was in high school, my English teacher showed up with two different shoes.  Both blue but one had like a 1" heel and one had like a 2.5" heel.  She hobble around and pretended like they matched. 

2013-12-02 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

This cracks me up. I think I'd love to walk in to the AUSA's office and see them wearing flip flops!

I think the addition of the socks helps keeps my professional appearance
2013-12-02 2:35 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

It's a Monday all right!

When I was in high school, my English teacher showed up with two different shoes.  Both blue but one had like a 1" heel and one had like a 2.5" heel.  She hobble around and pretended like they matched. 

Would it surprise you at all if I said I've done that too?!
2013-12-02 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Another question for the Manatees, for those of you with running watches, how many fields do you have displayed on your main screen?  What fields do you find most useful?

As an aside for Monica, have you tried a foot pod (since you have satellite interference due to the buildings)?

I have 4 fields displayed: time of day, current pace, distance and total time. Probably the most useful are pace and distance, but I must have time of day too b/c I hate not knowing what time it is! I know that's a bit weird, but there you go. The least useful, then, is total time.
2013-12-02 3:29 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

I have 4 fields displayed: time of day, current pace, distance and total time. Probably the most useful are pace and distance, but I must have time of day too b/c I hate not knowing what time it is! I know that's a bit weird, but there you go. The least useful, then, is total time.

I have 3 up, but that's the limit of my watch (Garmin 210). Pace and distance are always there. I spend more time with HR as the third, but also check time elapsed as well. When I had a 310 before I had all 4 of these on one screen. A second screen swapped in current lap time & distance for overall on the 1st screen.

Haven't used a foot pod and haven't felt much need to.

2013-12-02 6:53 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK Thanks guys. I. Haven't touched anything. During my ride yesterday I fiddled around a bit more with my gear changes. Yes there is a double shift required to move from the big ring to the middle ring and back, which I did know about but it just seems to not be quite right even after the double shift (by the way is that what they mean by "trim"?). I also noticed that my rear gears aren't changing all that smoothly either. My bike is a poverty pack so it only has Sora components on it, anyway I decided that it needs to go to the LBS for a couple service and some new bar tape, which will not be white!

That double click thing you mention might very well be the trim. What it's supposed to do is move the front deraileur a little bit so that the chain doesn't rub, allowing you to use more of the cassette without having to shift down up front. I never really used it, so not as familiar, but *think* it'll only really work with the large chainring.

Cleaning and lubing the parts up tend to take care of a number of things, but if you're not really sure what all is going on there could be something else to tweak. None of it is really that hard, but it's annoying trying to figure it out if you don't know what things do. Since we know you have Sora now, I've found the Shimano pages to be a great help in understanding things. Much better than a book or article I've seen. I haven't looked at the Sora specifically as I'm on Ultegra, but think the lines tend to work rather similarly. They walk through an installation as opposed to diagnosing specific problems of already installed components, but you might be able to pick things up by reading through in order and learning how to work the different aspects of each part. I had several "aha" type moments which have made things easier since.

2013-12-02 7:06 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'm not sure if ya'll follow Elden's blog, but he is doing a pretty cool giveaway/fundraiser.

2013-12-03 4:15 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
What can I say about Thailand.

Day one - hung out with the guys and girls on the camp - welcome dinner on the beach at the Reggae bar - yes Macca was there and Belinda nd Justin Granger. Even Pete Jacobs showed his face but it was raining and he's soft...

Big night - i finished at midnight. Some went on til 3.30 at a club. A few others did the 7.30am in Patong (think Bangkok) - one got roofied and rolled by a hooker. DAY ONE!!! hilarious.

Thursday - a group ride - most of the team still drunk - they cut it short. Then it was up to Macca's new place of employment - Thanyapura. This is an amazing institute and hotel as well as school. This place could be amazing - let's hope it works out. There we did a pool session after lunch with Macca training us and Jurgen Zack - wow legends!

Then drinks then home.

Friday ;7am - OWS with Macca and Ben Hammond (young pro friend of my Kieran) - this session was as good as the pool one.

The thing with MAcca is - he knows he's not the fastest but he has tactics strategy and bluff - he scares everyone away. Splash your legs in a deep water start - anyone behind will be pizzed off but not your problem. Look like you know what you're doing then people will stay away. Learnt great drafting.

Afternoon run - just around 6km - it was hot and humid.

A transition bike session was planned but it rained too hard.

Friday night - another party night - wow - these guys can drink.

Saturday easy day. Sunday race day - what a race - the elevation (check out the challenge phuket website) crazy on the bike. Our pro Ben was in a team and he walked the hills.

the finish the winners of male and female are accompanied over the finish line by a baby elephant - I cried! All of our team came home except Macca lol. He's fat and unfit he says.

After party was INSANE! I flirted my night away with Bob Babbitt - scored a signed book. I may or may not have 'kissed' Whit Raymond the commentator. The winner Rasmus Petraeus - misbehaved which was glorious.

Monday subdued - we had a romance on camp.

there are some pics i can post - but a lot i can't. It was a blast - can't wait for the next one.
2013-12-03 7:06 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jobaxas

What can I say about Thailand.

Day one - hung out with the guys and girls on the camp - welcome dinner on the beach at the Reggae bar - yes Macca was there and Belinda nd Justin Granger. Even Pete Jacobs showed his face but it was raining and he's soft...

Big night - i finished at midnight. Some went on til 3.30 at a club. A few others did the 7.30am in Patong (think Bangkok) - one got roofied and rolled by a hooker. DAY ONE!!! hilarious.

Thursday - a group ride - most of the team still drunk - they cut it short. Then it was up to Macca's new place of employment - Thanyapura. This is an amazing institute and hotel as well as school. This place could be amazing - let's hope it works out. There we did a pool session after lunch with Macca training us and Jurgen Zack - wow legends!

Then drinks then home.

Friday ;7am - OWS with Macca and Ben Hammond (young pro friend of my Kieran) - this session was as good as the pool one.

The thing with MAcca is - he knows he's not the fastest but he has tactics strategy and bluff - he scares everyone away. Splash your legs in a deep water start - anyone behind will be pizzed off but not your problem. Look like you know what you're doing then people will stay away. Learnt great drafting.

Afternoon run - just around 6km - it was hot and humid.

A transition bike session was planned but it rained too hard.

Friday night - another party night - wow - these guys can drink.

Saturday easy day. Sunday race day - what a race - the elevation (check out the challenge phuket website) crazy on the bike. Our pro Ben was in a team and he walked the hills.

the finish the winners of male and female are accompanied over the finish line by a baby elephant - I cried! All of our team came home except Macca lol. He's fat and unfit he says.

After party was INSANE! I flirted my night away with Bob Babbitt - scored a signed book. I may or may not have 'kissed' Whit Raymond the commentator. The winner Rasmus Petraeus - misbehaved which was glorious.

Monday subdued - we had a romance on camp.

there are some pics i can post - but a lot i can't. It was a blast - can't wait for the next one.

sounds.....amazing! **JEALOUS**
2013-12-03 8:52 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jobaxas What can I say about Thailand. Day one - hung out with the guys and girls on the camp - welcome dinner on the beach at the Reggae bar - yes Macca was there and Belinda nd Justin Granger. Even Pete Jacobs showed his face but it was raining and he's soft... Big night - i finished at midnight. Some went on til 3.30 at a club. A few others did the 7.30am in Patong (think Bangkok) - one got roofied and rolled by a hooker. DAY ONE!!! hilarious. Thursday - a group ride - most of the team still drunk - they cut it short. Then it was up to Macca's new place of employment - Thanyapura. This is an amazing institute and hotel as well as school. This place could be amazing - let's hope it works out. There we did a pool session after lunch with Macca training us and Jurgen Zack - wow legends! Then drinks then home. Friday ;7am - OWS with Macca and Ben Hammond (young pro friend of my Kieran) - this session was as good as the pool one. The thing with MAcca is - he knows he's not the fastest but he has tactics strategy and bluff - he scares everyone away. Splash your legs in a deep water start - anyone behind will be pizzed off but not your problem. Look like you know what you're doing then people will stay away. Learnt great drafting. Afternoon run - just around 6km - it was hot and humid. A transition bike session was planned but it rained too hard. Friday night - another party night - wow - these guys can drink. Saturday easy day. Sunday race day - what a race - the elevation (check out the challenge phuket website) crazy on the bike. Our pro Ben was in a team and he walked the hills. the finish the winners of male and female are accompanied over the finish line by a baby elephant - I cried! All of our team came home except Macca lol. He's fat and unfit he says. After party was INSANE! I flirted my night away with Bob Babbitt - scored a signed book. I may or may not have 'kissed' Whit Raymond the commentator. The winner Rasmus Petraeus - misbehaved which was glorious. Monday subdued - we had a romance on camp. there are some pics i can post - but a lot i can't. It was a blast - can't wait for the next one.

Sounds like some fun, wild times, Jo!  Thanks for 'taking' us there with you!

2013-12-03 8:53 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

A local ultrarunner was featured in our local Sunday paper and also on irunfar: http://www.irunfar.com/2013/11/zach-miller-2013-jfk-50-mile-champion-interview.html.  Incredible stuff and a really interesting guy!!  He also mentions the local pro triathlete that is part of my masters swimming program.

Edited by melbo55 2013-12-03 9:10 AM
2013-12-03 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Wellll, logic got the better of me and I opted for the swim clinic instead. So this sunday I have the first of 8 classes with Coach Matt. I spoke with him on the phone and he asked a lot about my swimming "history" and said he thinks he can help me. Yay!

This sounds great. I would love to participate in a swim clinic.

2013-12-03 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by jobaxas What can I say about Thailand. Day one - hung out with the guys and girls on the camp - welcome dinner on the beach at the Reggae bar - yes Macca was there and Belinda nd Justin Granger. Even Pete Jacobs showed his face but it was raining and he's soft... Big night - i finished at midnight. Some went on til 3.30 at a club. A few others did the 7.30am in Patong (think Bangkok) - one got roofied and rolled by a hooker. DAY ONE!!! hilarious. Thursday - a group ride - most of the team still drunk - they cut it short. Then it was up to Macca's new place of employment - Thanyapura. This is an amazing institute and hotel as well as school. This place could be amazing - let's hope it works out. There we did a pool session after lunch with Macca training us and Jurgen Zack - wow legends! Then drinks then home. Friday ;7am - OWS with Macca and Ben Hammond (young pro friend of my Kieran) - this session was as good as the pool one. The thing with MAcca is - he knows he's not the fastest but he has tactics strategy and bluff - he scares everyone away. Splash your legs in a deep water start - anyone behind will be pizzed off but not your problem. Look like you know what you're doing then people will stay away. Learnt great drafting. Afternoon run - just around 6km - it was hot and humid. A transition bike session was planned but it rained too hard. Friday night - another party night - wow - these guys can drink. Saturday easy day. Sunday race day - what a race - the elevation (check out the challenge phuket website) crazy on the bike. Our pro Ben was in a team and he walked the hills. the finish the winners of male and female are accompanied over the finish line by a baby elephant - I cried! All of our team came home except Macca lol. He's fat and unfit he says. After party was INSANE! I flirted my night away with Bob Babbitt - scored a signed book. I may or may not have 'kissed' Whit Raymond the commentator. The winner Rasmus Petraeus - misbehaved which was glorious. Monday subdued - we had a romance on camp. there are some pics i can post - but a lot i can't. It was a blast - can't wait for the next one.

Sounds like a great time, Jo. Now time to rest!

2013-12-03 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Good morning, all. I finally finished Daniels' book, so I am going to run over to that thread and see if I can figure out what I didn't understand. LOL I am starting his second level (red? or blue?), the level above white. I'll do that for eight weeks, (assuming I don't come down with another strange ailment -- I pulled a muscle in my upper abdomen this weekend coughing. ouch!) then move into marathon training.

Speaking of . . . My step-daughter is getting married on the day of the trail marathon I signed up for. :-( I'll go to the wedding, of course, if I can get the time off from work, but I'm still disappointed. I need to find another marathon for the middle of April to the first of May. I prefer trail or dirt road.

We are going to see my mom for Christmas, so if Salty is still around here somewhere . . . I see a meet-up in our future. Someone else is up in that area, but I can't remember who right now. Kristen? It's the final week of classes here, and my brain is fried. I'd love to find a New Year's run to do in that area while I'm there.

Jayson's (7 year old) Christmas program is tonight. He is a penguin.

Edited by KansasMom 2013-12-03 9:48 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  

of 62

RELATED POSTS

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : September 20, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Snapping hip syndrome is a condition described by a snapping sensation felt when the hip is flexed and extended. It is often also treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : May 29, 2012
I recently just ran a 5 mile race, and in the last 100 meters I was sprinting to pass someone and I felt a "pop" in my left arch. Could I have strained it? What is your advice for healing?
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.