Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 190

2013-01-17 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4582313

User image

Pro
NJ
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN

riorio - 2013-01-17 9:33 AM Well, I got some bad news yesterday that may impact my tri season before it even starts I had my semi annual trip to the dermatologist 2 weeks ago, they cut off a mole to send in for testing and it came back as atypical pre-melanoma. It's on the side of my foot on a bony part so they can't just go in and easily cut more off (I had a similar mole removed from my arm 2 years ago which required surgery and 16 stitches). I have an appt with the surgeon on the 28th, I have a feeling that it will be a bigger deal because of the location. Darn fair skin and freckles!  

Sally, really sorry to hear this. The good news is you seem to have caught it early. Regular skin cancer screenings is something not enough people think about. Hoping they don't have to go too far beyond the margin to clean you up.

2013-01-17 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4582295

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

reecealan - 2013-01-17 10:25 AM Did a 45 minute OWS in Naples yesterday. 70 degree water is not cold! I think this may be a destination race next year. They just had a HITS tri weekend here I should have planned better. It was a late afternoon swim so caught some tide but felt strong the whole way, gets a little salty after a while but everyone likes a little Salty once & a while right Adrienne!Hoping to run this afternoonHope everyone has a good training day!

I'm not jealous at all.....  really, I'm not...  

not convincing?

2013-01-17 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4582314

User image

Payson, AZ
kcarroll - 2013-01-17 7:34 AM

Masters swim this morning. Had planned a short treadmill run afterwards, but decided to run outside later since it's going to warm up today. 

For the last couple weeks I've been working on cleaning up the diet. I have a sweet tooth and a tendency to sugar binge. For two weeks I've had no candy, ice-cream whatever. No other major change. Pretty embarrassed to say that after just that change I dropped 3+ lbs. I wasn't looking for weight-loss but will take it. Mostly, I have to admit I feel better without the junk. 

Now the challenge is to see how to allow myself the occasional treat without going overboard. Any suggestions welcome. 

Nice job Kim.  I accidentally cut out sugar when we had the whole foods habit.  And you know how I like my chocolate.  lol  I seem to have days were I really want a bit but most days I can push it out of my mind easily enough.  I think I have had two pieces of chocolate since that habit.  Although I had a rough day yesterday and had a bit of ice cream (long story), which was the first in about a month.  Not having it in the house at all might help.  So if you want the treat you must leave the house and make effort to have it.  So it's never really there tempting you.  For me with ice cream I have the tiniest dish ever that helps me keep it to a taste. 

2013-01-17 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

riorio - 2013-01-17 9:33 AM Well, I got some bad news yesterday that may impact my tri season before it even starts I had my semi annual trip to the dermatologist 2 weeks ago, they cut off a mole to send in for testing and it came back as atypical pre-melanoma. It's on the side of my foot on a bony part so they can't just go in and easily cut more off (I had a similar mole removed from my arm 2 years ago which required surgery and 16 stitches). I have an appt with the surgeon on the 28th, I have a feeling that it will be a bigger deal because of the location. Darn fair skin and freckles!  

Oh, sorry to hear this. I just had two of them (shoulder and leg) checked out. The shoulder was an issue. No stitches, she burnt the crap outta it. It was about 10 days of letting it naturally heal and stay out of the pool. I hope yours goes well.

PSA: If you are outside, or were outside in the past 10+ years, get checked. Early detection is key!

2013-01-17 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4582329

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
bzgl40 - 2013-01-17 10:39 AM
kcarroll - 2013-01-17 7:34 AM

Masters swim this morning. Had planned a short treadmill run afterwards, but decided to run outside later since it's going to warm up today. 

For the last couple weeks I've been working on cleaning up the diet. I have a sweet tooth and a tendency to sugar binge. For two weeks I've had no candy, ice-cream whatever. No other major change. Pretty embarrassed to say that after just that change I dropped 3+ lbs. I wasn't looking for weight-loss but will take it. Mostly, I have to admit I feel better without the junk. 

Now the challenge is to see how to allow myself the occasional treat without going overboard. Any suggestions welcome. 

Nice job Kim.  I accidentally cut out sugar when we had the whole foods habit.  And you know how I like my chocolate.  lol  I seem to have days were I really want a bit but most days I can push it out of my mind easily enough.  I think I have had two pieces of chocolate since that habit.  Although I had a rough day yesterday and had a bit of ice cream (long story), which was the first in about a month.  Not having it in the house at all might help.  So if you want the treat you must leave the house and make effort to have it.  So it's never really there tempting you.  For me with ice cream I have the tiniest dish ever that helps me keep it to a taste. 

The bolded is key for me.  I have no willpower over chips and chocolate chip cookies; if they are in the house, I eat them.  If they aren't in the house, I have no problem avoiding them.

2013-01-17 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4543084

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Thanks guys...I am glad I go to the dermatologist every 6 months. I have had several spots removed or burned off, so far this is the 2nd one that seemed cancerous. I am very careful with my skin now but I wasn't when I was younger (the 80's were rough on my skin- and hair!). I'd definitely recommend a skin check for everyone, my dermatologist has found suspicious spots that I would never have considered, most people don't need to go every 6 months. 

2013-01-17 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4582331

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
cdban66 - 2013-01-17 9:40 AM

Oh, sorry to hear this. I just had two of them (shoulder and leg) checked out. The shoulder was an issue. No stitches, she burnt the crap outta it. It was about 10 days of letting it naturally heal and stay out of the pool. I hope yours goes well.

PSA: If you are outside, or were outside in the past 10+ years, get checked. Early detection is key!

Sorry to hear Sally.  I am actually getting a small spot removed on my shoulder as a precaution...its a small bump located in a spot that did not heal great from a bike crash and see's alot of sun when I am out training. 

Hope everything turns out well for you.

2013-01-17 8:55 AM
in reply to: #4582222

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
axteraa - 2013-01-17 8:55 AM

On the trainer this morning and I proved that swimmers are unable to count past 3.  I was supposed to do a set of 4 x 5 mins with 2 mins recovery.  Somehow, despite checking the time/math after the second one, I managed to do 5 instead of 4.  Undecided

Oh well, at least it went much better than Tuesday's attempt.

I've also got an easy 40 min run scheduled for today.  What does everyone have on tap?

Nice ride!

My daughter was up for a couple hours at 3 a.m. so I did not hop out of bed and get on the trainer this morning.

Planning on a VO2 ride at lunch and short brick run..maybe a hockey game tonight if the wife lets me out of the house haha.

2013-01-17 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4543084

User image

Melon Presser

C'mon Axenhots ... if you were a REAL swimmer you'd mistake 4 for 5, not the other way 'round!

Sally ... like the rest, I'm really sorry to hear that and I sure know what it's like to have a season arrested in infancy. Hope it gets cleared up soon, though.

I put in a 3K regular swim workout / 6-hour trainer ride brick today (swick?) Probably one of the best Iron-training sessions one can do, but I'm biased.

2013-01-17 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4582221

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
GoFaster - 2013-01-17 5:54 AM

Question for the group.  Got in for a massage on Tuesday evening, and she spent 45min working on my ITB.  I won't really know if it was successful until I try out some longer runs, but I'm hoping this was the magic cure since it's worked in the past.

But - I ran last night and immediately had very tight calves, right in the area of the Soleus.  Last summer I ran all summer without IT issues, but had tight calves the whole season.  So it seems to me that the two are connected.  I'm just hoping someone might have a suggestion as to how I deal with this, or avoid it.

Seems if one thing is not off, then something else is instead. 

Have you tried ART?  I've found that to help a lot more than massage.  I'm not sure if the therapist you have doing your sports massages have much/any medical background, but a good chiropractor who does ART should have some medical background.  They have an uncanny way of figuring out how to make you cry, but it really does seem to work!

2013-01-17 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
kcarroll - 2013-01-17 6:34 AM

I recently started logging everything I eat with the My Fitness Pal app.  I didn't really have too many issues with my diet, but would binge every once in a while (generally on the weekend...).  Now, before I decide to binge on unhealthy foods, I think about the fact that I then have to put it into my log.  It's been good motivation to not do it.

I also have a sweet tooth and want something after dinner.  I like the Skinny Cow single serve ice cream cups.  Knowing that I'm not depriving myself of something sweet really helps me to not binge down the road.

2013-01-17 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4582406

User image

Pro
NJ
ligersandtions - 2013-01-17 10:11 AM

I recently started logging everything I eat with the My Fitness Pal app.  I didn't really have too many issues with my diet, but would binge every once in a while (generally on the weekend...).  Now, before I decide to binge on unhealthy foods, I think about the fact that I then have to put it into my log.  It's been good motivation to not do it.

I also have a sweet tooth and want something after dinner.  I like the Skinny Cow single serve ice cream cups.  Knowing that I'm not depriving myself of something sweet really helps me to not binge down the road.

MFP is a good tool and I've used it in the past although myy weight has been stable a long time now so I don't know if I want to go back to logging food again. I'll have to check out the Skinny Cow products. Thanks for the suggestion. My usual single serve is a pint of Ben & Jerry's. Embarassed I also think having to leave the house for the indulgence is a good idea. Once the weather improves this may not work quite as well. There are no less than 5 ice-cream/gelato/fro-yo shops less than 1.5 miles from my house. And a bakery with heavenly red-velvet cupcakes. Sigh.  

Edited by kcarroll 2013-01-17 9:23 AM
2013-01-17 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4582221

Master
Northern IL
GoFaster - 2013-01-17 7:54 AM

Question for the group.  Got in for a massage on Tuesday evening, and she spent 45min working on my ITB.  I won't really know if it was successful until I try out some longer runs, but I'm hoping this was the magic cure since it's worked in the past.

But - I ran last night and immediately had very tight calves, right in the area of the Soleus.  Last summer I ran all summer without IT issues, but had tight calves the whole season.  So it seems to me that the two are connected.  I'm just hoping someone might have a suggestion as to how I deal with this, or avoid it.

I don't seem to get ITBS like others do, so not much help there. But do pull that area of the calf every now and then. Might sound a bit odd, but what seems to help is making sure to run hills. I think it's because I'm working it farther through the range of motion. That doesn't necessarily mean go hard, but just be on them. And I'm not sure why, but the treadmill has been more effective than outdoors, though outdoors is still better than flat anything.

2013-01-17 9:28 AM

User image

NC
kcarroll - 2013-01-17 9:34 AM

How about a single square of quality dark chocolate a day?  My primary care physician recommends this.

2013-01-17 9:32 AM
in reply to: #4582425

User image

Payson, AZ
kcarroll - 2013-01-17 8:22 AM
ligersandtions - 2013-01-17 10:11 AM

MFP is a good tool and I've used it in the past although myy weight has been stable a long time now so I don't know if I want to go back to logging food again. I'll have to check out the Skinny Cow products. Thanks for the suggestion. My usual single serve is a pint of Ben & Jerry's. Embarassed I also think having to leave the house for the indulgence is a good idea. Once the weather improves this may not work quite as well. There are no less than 5 ice-cream/gelato/fro-yo shops less than 1.5 miles from my house. And a bakery with heavenly red-velvet cupcakes. Sigh.  

Yeah, but how often do you head to those places now?  Probably not daily right?  So it is 8PM, your in your pj's relaxing, are you going to head out to them?  Odds are you would head to your own freezer though.  Once I decide I am in for the night (happens about 8AM for me ) I won't head out for much.  I find my weakness is worse late afternoon though so maybe find your weak part of the day and ensure you have something planned for that, like a workout

2013-01-17 9:51 AM
in reply to: #4582441

Master
Northern IL
Goosedog - 2013-01-17 9:28 AM

How about a single square of quality dark chocolate a day?  My primary care physician recommends this.

How big of a square?

2013-01-17 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4582478

User image

Payson, AZ
brigby1 - 2013-01-17 8:51 AM

How big of a square?

You sound like someone who needs your squares in individual servings already. 

2013-01-17 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4582441

User image

Extreme Veteran

Lindt 85% chocolate has surprisingly few calories and carbs.

it's the inch of peanut butter I put on it that kills me.

Edited by marcag 2013-01-17 10:54 AM
2013-01-17 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4582365

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
riorio - 2013-01-17 9:52 AMThanks guys...I am glad I go to the dermatologist every 6 months. I have had several spots removed or burned off, so far this is the 2nd one that seemed cancerous. I am very careful with my skin now but I wasn't when I was younger (the 80's were rough on my skin- and hair!). I'd definitely recommend a skin check for everyone, my dermatologist has found suspicious spots that I would never have considered, most people don't need to go every 6 months. 

A little late to the game Sally, but I just wanted to echo the others.sorry that it might put a damper on at least your early season, but thankfully you get checked regularly. I have some family history, so I am a twice-a-year exam guy as well and have to have something removed it seems just about every other visit. Between my wife and I we have probably put at least one of our doc's kids through college. Like you I would encourage everyone to get checked once a year as early detection is definitely the key - melanomas can easily be treated if caught early. And you are spot-on (ha!) the stuff the doc gets the most concerned about are the ones that I don't even notice. I have one on the arch of my foot that we are watching - I would have never even known it was there if she didn't spot (ha again!) it. Good on you for being proactive.

2013-01-17 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4582222

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
axteraa - 2013-01-17 8:55 AM

On the trainer this morning and I proved that swimmers are unable to count past 3.  I was supposed to do a set of 4 x 5 mins with 2 mins recovery.  Somehow, despite checking the time/math after the second one, I managed to do 5 instead of 4.  Undecided

Oh well, at least it went much better than Tuesday's attempt.

I've also got an easy 40 min run scheduled for today.  What does everyone have on tap?

Well, I think that means you have earned an extra square of chocolate.

4100scy for me this morning at masters, followed up by 8ish mile run. It was 50 degrees and pouring rain, but it looks like it is going to be 35 degrees and raining in just a bit, so I just put on my rain jacket and ran. It was IM day at masters, but the coach wanted me to spend some time working on my breast stroke, so I doubled that up and substituted breast for fly in the rotation. I got a lot of 1-on-1 attention and it really paid off - amazing how fast you can get down the lane when you actually do the stroke correctly...

2013-01-17 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4582394

User image

Elite
Ontario
ligersandtions - 2013-01-17 10:07 AM
GoFaster - 2013-01-17 5:54 AM

Have you tried ART?  I've found that to help a lot more than massage.  I'm not sure if the therapist you have doing your sports massages have much/any medical background, but a good chiropractor who does ART should have some medical background.  They have an uncanny way of figuring out how to make you cry, but it really does seem to work!

I initially went the ART route and had no success fixing my ITB problem at the time.  Then I found this masseuse and she fixed me in one session - couldn't believe it.  Now I've been seeing her for the past couple of years. 

It's just odd, and annoying that if one area feels okay, something else hurts.  She worked a lot on the calves last year and it heped a bit - plus I would ice them after almost every run, along with stretching.   As soon as I did in my ITB again the calves loosened up...

2013-01-17 11:14 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Sally - glad you caught this.  Here's hoping that it doesn't impact your season too much.

2013-01-17 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4582640

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
GoFaster - 2013-01-16 12:14 PM

Sally - glad you caught this.  Here's hoping that it doesn't impact your season too much.

Ditto - I am really glad you found it early. Take care of yourself!

Re: bad food in the house...I'm with you all, the exception I make is if I really (really) want something, I have to make it. (I was a pastry chef in a former life). By the time it's ready - the urgency is (typically) gone, and I get something that is probably slightly better for me than something I purchased.

Re: injuries pinging around...my PT insists that injuries zig zag up the body, so for me when my foot feels better, my other knee hurts, then the opposite hip, etc...and xbazillion on ART. I really have had great success with it.

Today was a hill-repeat day for run with hot yoga tonight. I'm actually REALLY looking forward to the hot yoga - it's around 0 degrees F here, so the thought of finally being warm if only for 90 minutes is very appealing to me.

Have a great day all!

2013-01-17 11:43 AM
in reply to: #4582640

User image

Extreme Veteran
GoFaster - 2013-01-17 11:14 AM

My understanding of these things is the sooner you catch them of course the better the chance they will not come back.

And also the sooner they catch it, the less deep it goes, the less intrusive the operation is.

Get the best surgeon!

Great to see people being so proactive with their health.

Please keep us up to date on how this goes

2013-01-17 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4582557

Master
Northern IL
bzgl40 - 2013-01-17 10:32 AM
brigby1 - 2013-01-17 8:51 AM

How big of a square?

You sound like someone who needs your squares in individual servings already. 

Define "individual".

(Reeces.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Reeces.JPG (36KB - 6 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190