BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2013-07-15 10:43 AM
in reply to: TTom

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group
Congrats everyone for the great times posted this past weekend!

2013-07-15 11:20 AM
in reply to: Gene67

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Vineman 70.3 race report is up: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?raceid=247119

Feeling appropriately sore this morning but nothing painful.  Stupid cold is still with me - I felt better after the race in this regard! 

Thanks for all the congrats, this was by far the hardest physical challenge I've ever accomplished in my life.  The last two miles of the run required total focus and was accompanied by growning nausea.   I saw a recent post that said that if you puke before the finish line, you went too hard, if you puke after the finish line you didn't go hard enough, and if you puke at the finish line, you left it all on the course.  Well, I didn't quite puke on the nice volunteer who was removing my timing chip, but as soon as she was done . . .

2013-07-15 12:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by TTom

Vineman 70.3 race report is up: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?raceid=247119

Feeling appropriately sore this morning but nothing painful.  Stupid cold is still with me - I felt better after the race in this regard! 

Thanks for all the congrats, this was by far the hardest physical challenge I've ever accomplished in my life.  The last two miles of the run required total focus and was accompanied by growning nausea.   I saw a recent post that said that if you puke before the finish line, you went too hard, if you puke after the finish line you didn't go hard enough, and if you puke at the finish line, you left it all on the course.  Well, I didn't quite puke on the nice volunteer who was removing my timing chip, but as soon as she was done . . .

That is completely AWESOME!
2013-07-15 12:37 PM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by stevesflyshopI finished my first Olympic distance triathlon on Saturday as a tune up for my half ironman on August 4. It went well except for a vehicle making a right turn into an alley right in front of me. I didn't hit the vehicle but did hit the curb and bent my rim slightly. The bike course mechanic was able to get it fixed enough that I could continue but it cost me about 15 minutes. I also posted a race report here:http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=495188Overall it was a good training day and I saw a few things I could work on to improve. Total time was 3:16:53 which I wasn't happy about but had no target I was shooting for. Congrats to everyone else who raced! Those are awesome results.Steve
Bummer on the bent rim, but big picture here: CONGRATS on the Oly PR. You'll crush the next one. Good timing for a tune up, too. I'm following about the same approach (Oly next weekend, HIM mid August). Good luck on the HIM, too.
2013-07-16 12:23 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Regular
Chicago
Great job, Tom & Nicole! You both crushed your goals and seemed to have a lot of fun while doing so. Congrats! Gives me hope as I am still fighting off this cold. Caved in and went to the doctor yesterday for an Rx. I do feel a little better - no longer wheezing and sleeping through the night. Fingers crossed!
2013-07-16 1:21 PM
in reply to: doxie

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Had a long ride/short run hilly brick this saturday and got in 30miles while maintaining a 17mph pace on the bike and a 3mile run in about 30mins. Run was slower then I wanted but it was 90degrees outside by the time I was running so I think it was still pretty solid. Half way into my ride I tackled an 8% grade which last almost a mile so that boosted my confidence a ton! After doing this weekends workout, I think I am starting to feel like I will actually finish this HIM come October Still a lot of room for improvement but feeling confident.

2013-07-17 11:43 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

Did Vineman this weekend with Nicole. Like Tom, I had a cold the week leading up to it. I ended up taking an entire bottle of both dayquil and nyquil to try and combat it but it was still around on race morning. In any case, I ended up beating my 6:00 mark and came really close to hitting my 5:30 goal. Race Report is here.
2013-07-17 12:16 PM
in reply to: stebaldi

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Originally posted by stebaldi Did Vineman this weekend with Nicole. Like Tom, I had a cold the week leading up to it. I ended up taking an entire bottle of both dayquil and nyquil to try and combat it but it was still around on race morning. In any case, I ended up beating my 6:00 mark and came really close to hitting my 5:30 goal. Race Report is here.

Too bad that GI issue came up, looked like you were right on track for your plan until then.  I'm sure the cold you had been dealing with didn't help at all and may have contributed to the issue.  I know I was only able to sleep about 4 hours per night the preceding 5 days, and think that contributed to the back half of the run being harder than I had anticipated.

2013-07-17 8:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
2013-07-17 9:31 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Nicole, awesome planning and execution, a well run race.  That was a long run off the bike, but did serve as a warmup for the run, no?  My only regret for the race was we didn't arrange a BT meet and greet!
2013-07-18 7:40 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Some good looking times from last weekend in this group.  Nice job everyone!  That Vineman race looks pretty darn awesome I must say!

2013-07-19 6:40 PM
in reply to: sbsmann

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Originally posted by sbsmann Some good looking times from last weekend in this group.  Nice job everyone!  That Vineman race looks pretty darn awesome I must say!
It is a really great course.  The swim with the redwoods on either side of the river, going under two bridges, and to top it off, we had a Bald Eagle overlooking the swim start!  Then a bike through miles and miles of vineyards followed by a run that takes you through the middle of the La Crema vineyards within feet of the vines.  Nibbling at the corner of my mind, like a mouse around the edges of a cracker, is the thought of doing my first full Ironman there next year . . .
2013-07-21 9:20 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-07-22 7:48 AM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by sbsmann Some good looking times from last weekend in this group.  Nice job everyone!  That Vineman race looks pretty darn awesome I must say!
It is a really great course.  The swim with the redwoods on either side of the river, going under two bridges, and to top it off, we had a Bald Eagle overlooking the swim start!  Then a bike through miles and miles of vineyards followed by a run that takes you through the middle of the La Crema vineyards within feet of the vines.  Nibbling at the corner of my mind, like a mouse around the edges of a cracker, is the thought of doing my first full Ironman there next year . . .

Heh, no interest in a full Ironman, but I am strongly considering signing up for Ironman 70.3 St. George next year.

2013-07-22 2:08 PM

Great racing.  I've got a lot to catch up on.  I've been pretty busy this past weekend between training, watching the TdF, the Open Championship (golf), chores, and catching up on some sleep.

This will be a downish week for me on the run as I have a modified Oly on Sunday.  Swim and bike will be normal M-F this week, but I'm going to dial back the running some.

2013-07-22 2:11 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Heh, no interest in a full Ironman, but I am strongly considering signing up for Ironman 70.3 St. George next year.

Isn't that kind of like doing a full Ironman?  Tongue out

2013-07-22 4:17 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Originally posted by axteraa

I was thinking the same thing.  If it's representing the US 70.3 championships again, it should have another stacked pro field which should be cool to be a part of.

2013-07-22 4:35 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by axteraa

Hah, is it going to be that hard??  I looked at finishing times from last year, and even though there's a decent amount of climbing, it still looked like it was a fast course.  Maybe it just brings that caliber of athletes!

Anyone have experience training at sea level and racing at 2000' elevation?  Will probably try to get there a few days early to do what I can to acclimate, but I'm sure it will be tough!

2013-07-23 11:06 AM
in reply to: Gene67

New user

Been away for awhile, nursing a hamstring issue. Still there but better. Had my last sprint race on the 14th. Middle of the pack @ 1:31. It was a pool swim so I got stuck behind a pack of slow swimmers I couldn't get around and in T2 had issues with my dancer pad and getting my shoes on. FInally had to sit down, tear off the wrap and just run without it. (It was only a 5k and that is the longest distance I would be without it.) I was trying the race w/o socks and if I had the socks on it wouldn't have been an issue. Lesson learned.
This past weekend got a quick OWS in at a local lake and had my first really long ride in on Sunday morning. 57.10 miles it was warm, humid and the wind was picking up the second half. I was with a group for most of the way so just sort of took their pace. Considering the longest ride before that was 36 miles this was quite a jump in mileage and I felt it afterwards but by the evening I was fine and really not that stiff or sore the next day. Biggest thing I learned was nutrition and hydration. Part of the problem was not enough (ate about 500 cal the whole ride) but I wasn't originally planning to ride that long since I was on my own till I met up with the group. Plus I just burned through water, about 4 liters for the ride. Went through the bottle on my bike, 2 L camelbak, then was given some water that someone had extra at one point, went through that until the last stop (8 miles) before the end where we could get more water, and went though that as well. Still had a little of a dehydration headache, not bad but a little nagging. I am so glad my HIM is in November.
Next up is a quarter tri (1000m, 25m, 10k) first weekend of August. Hoping for a cool front but preparing for the heat. I will need to carry more water on the run and the bike than the sprints, plus nutrition. Then I have an oly on Labor Day and then a two months to finish preparing for my first HIM.
2013-07-23 12:39 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Officially did it....signed up for St. George 70.3 for next year!  Hope we'll have another HIM mentor group....hint, hint
2013-07-23 2:11 PM

Originally posted by ligersandtions Officially did it....signed up for St. George 70.3 for next year!  Hope we'll have another HIM mentor group....hint, hint

Congrats!  That should be an epic race.

I still don't have any idea what I'll be doing next year. 

2013-07-24 8:27 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Finished my Door County HIM this past weekend and just posted race report HERE!

Overall happy with my results, a PR and a great weekend with friends.  It looks like the Fred/Jason mentor group has really been churning out GREAT results this year.  Congrats to everyone this year for awesome work!

2013-07-24 8:56 AM
in reply to: 0

Regular
SF Bay area

Scott, congrats on a great race. Really liked your report too, made it super easy to see how the day went.  How did you get so smokin' fast in transition?  Lemme guess, practice, practice, practice . . .

Edited by TTom 2013-07-24 9:13 AM
2013-07-24 1:08 PM

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Scott, congrats on a great race. Really liked your report too, made it super easy to see how the day went.  How did you get so smokin' fast in transition?  Lemme guess, practice, practice, practice . . .

I'm still not sure how my transitions ended up so fast, but it looked like everyone was fast so I don't think it was my blazing (hahahaha) speed.  One big factor was the layout of transition.  The minute you came out of the water you were already in the transition area so even people who were on the far end were no more than 20 seconds away.  And even if you were on the far end, then you were closer to bike in/out and run in/out.  It really was a pretty sweet layout!

2013-07-25 9:17 AM
in reply to: sbsmann

Veteran
Austin, Texas

RR is up from my Oly this past weekend ("A" race).  Very happy with this one (go HIM Mentor Group - OK, that doesn't come trippingly to the tongue, but you get the idea). Laughing

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?raceid=251819 

Now just soaking up the island (vacation for a week with the family)!!  Couldn't be more perfect...

Matt

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 51