BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2013-07-25 1:02 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

RR is up from my Oly this past weekend ("A" race).  Very happy with this one (go HIM Mentor Group - OK, that doesn't come trippingly to the tongue, but you get the idea). Laughing

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?raceid=251819 

Now just soaking up the island (vacation for a week with the family)!!  Couldn't be more perfect...

Matt

Great job on the race.  Looks like you may have had a little gas left in the tank which says good things about your fitness as it sounds like you raced pretty much to plan.  Looking forward to hearing how you do on your HIM!

2013-07-25 1:23 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Hey everyone. Have been laying low getting ready for my 8/18 HIM (Timerbman 70.3). My hammy issue finally led me to the doctor last week, and I start PT tonight. Its *really* bothering me, and wtih the race only 3 weeks away, my run may end up being mainly a walk. Hoping for the best. . Regardless, the swim & Bike will be fine, then it will be an adventure from there....
2013-07-25 7:45 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Mike_D Hey everyone. Have been laying low getting ready for my 8/18 HIM (Timerbman 70.3). My hammy issue finally led me to the doctor last week, and I start PT tonight. Its *really* bothering me, and wtih the race only 3 weeks away, my run may end up being mainly a walk. Hoping for the best. . Regardless, the swim & Bike will be fine, then it will be an adventure from there....

Sorry to hear about the hamstring injury.  Have you tried ART?  Maybe your PT does ART?  I've found it to help with the hamstring issues I've had.

2013-07-25 9:03 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Regular
Chicago

Hey everyone! Mike, glad that you are getting the hamstring checked out. I hope you heal fast! Matt, awesome job at your Oly. That's a smoking time, nice job!

So the short version of Racine from last Sunday: stupid slow swim, solid bike and a great run. Lake Michigan was pretty fierce that day and I struggled getting out past the waves and then swimming. I was pretty disoriented and had to sight a lot. This swim actually took me 9 minutes longer than last year, and I'm a faster swimmer now. The bike was fine and uneventful, but the run was great. I was runnings 9s like clockwork and my splits very consistent. This is a small thing, but a victory all the same: So there are two "hills" back to back as soon as you come out of transition, and you do them twice. Last year I only ran up the first and walked the other three and this year I'm pretty proud of running up all four (ha!). Ended up PRing by 15 minutes.  The long version can be found at my RR.

I have another HIM in about three weeks. At first I was thinking of that race as more of a victory lap, but now I definitely want to get revenge on the swim!

2013-07-27 1:42 PM
in reply to: doxie

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
well, I ran for an hour today without much discomfort, so that's a big plus. OK, so it was on a run trainer/elliptical machine, but its as close as I've been to real running for that long in a while. Felt good, and the cardio side of it was much stronger than I thought. Sure, its not a real road, but its as good as I've had in a while. Timberman run may suck, but I'm heading in the right direction. tomorrow is a nice 65 mile ride.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!
2013-07-29 8:45 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Finally getting back into the swing of training after the HIM.  I've run marathons and recovered within a few days such that I could get back into training, but this HIM kicked my butt.  In the week following I did get in a short swim, a really easy run where I let my body set the pace and it was at least 1 minute slower than training pace, and a gentle ride - but really had no energy at all for the whole week.  Yesterday was a 2 hour fun ride with hills and a couple of friends at a social pace, and it felt really good to get into the hills which tells me the legs are back.  I bought a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine fluid trainer and signed up with TrainerRoad, so am looking forward to focusing more on the bike as I go forward.

What's next?  I'm looking to do the Pacific Grove Oly in September, and may squeeze in a fun sprint before.  I do have a medical procedure that will take place sometime in the next month or so that could cause a hiccup in the plan, but we'll see how that all works out.

So what's happening with you?  It's been really quiet on the thread . . .

2013-07-29 8:48 AM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Definitely quiet on the thread lately, so I will have to unleash a picture of what I won in a local triathlon yesterday.  Is it the weirdest trophy ever or is it just me?

2013-07-29 9:14 AM
in reply to: sbsmann

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

The wierd thing to me is the "1st Place" part - mine usually say "finisher"

Otherwise, that is the most Disney-esque bling I've seen outside the Magic Kingdom proper!

It has been quiet here...  I've been away the last week after my A race last Sunday (we extended for some tri-tourism and rented a house for the week in Nantucket around the race - hey, anything to get the family behind this somewhat odd obsession!).

Last week was a tough one of trying to get back into build mode for a 2 week or so block, followed by a week or two of peak/taper for Timberman (HIM on 18th).  It's my first at that distance and it's in my head a little - especially after doing a taper for this last race, the concern being that I've lost fitness that I'll need for the HIM.

Tried to push the volume back up immediately, and it worked fine during the week, but this weekend I finally caught the bug that made the rounds through the house.  Came back from a crushing run on Saturday (blisters halfway into an out and back 12+ miler after a 45' hard-ish ride) and had shivers and such - yep, ran a slight fever and felt terrible!  Tried to ride yesterday and cracked at an hour into it and pretty much soft-pedaled home for a 90' ride rather than the planned 2-3 hour hill-fest.

So, I'm hoping for a big week this week and an even bigger weekend - followed by a two week decreasing schedule to the HIM and then... A REST!  Today is a day off (maybe a 30' recovery swim tonight, if I feel well), then back to the track tomorrow and hitting it hard (I hope).

OK, so I admit that the above isn't very interesting, but it's activity on the thread.  Wink

Here's a question, then:  My threshold HR is about 160, with a 179 max (can hold just above 160 for a bit above an hour, after ~an hour @ just below - at least in my last, and only, two Oly's that's what I did).  In the Oly's, I targeted the swim at "fast but not gasping," the bike at a couple beats below threshold until the last 15', and the run a couple beats over - to try to get 1 hour at threshold and be empty at the end.

Pretty much did that this last race and had a smidge left in the tank (1 hour 15' at or above 160bpm at the end of the 2 hour 15' race).

Soooooooo, for the HIM, any suggestions on HR/effort for the race?  I don't want to blow up, but hey, it's a RACE.  Laughing  I'm thinking: same pace on swim, for the bike keep HR at 145-150 with a "do not exceed" of 155-160 on steep hills, on the run 150-155 for the first 6-7 miles, 160 for miles 8-10 and then whatever I have left (if anything) for the last 5k.

In my previous HMs, I've held above 160 for most of the race (90 out of 100-115 minutes and averaged 165 in my last hard one), for what that's worth.

Any suggestions?  Next thing you know, this will be a predict the finish time thread (and I will not partake in that!  Probably.  Maybe.  Well, it's still a race, even if it's my first, right?  Right??).  Wink

OK - super long post now done.

Matt

2013-07-29 9:18 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by sbsmann

Definitely quiet on the thread lately, so I will have to unleash a picture of what I won in a local triathlon yesterday.  Is it the weirdest trophy ever or is it just me?

What's really weird to me is that the winner of the Olympic 30-34 AG also posted a picture of that trophy in another mentor thread (SBR Utopia).  Laughing  I think it's an awesome trophy.

2013-07-29 10:25 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago

Nice job! And I love that your trophy is holding a trophy. It does look like a character in Beauty and the Beast.

Matt - are your bike and run HRs the same? Mine are about 10 beats different (run is higher).

2013-07-29 2:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

In aero, my bike is a few beats lower (like 5ish) for a similar RPE, so I'm probably right at or above "threshold" for a lot of my Oly bike time even though it looks like I'm below.  That said, I CAN get my max bike HR to within a beat or two of my max run HR - but I'm usually sitting up and cranking my azz off to finish a hill segment to do that, so the max numbers are close.

I think (hand wavy BS alert!!!) that going from the bike to the run lets me hold a higher effort across the two sports than I could for that combined amount of time in either alone.  This particular piece of hand waving could really bite me in the hinder in a couple weeks, though!

The slightly lower HR on the bike is also why I'm targeting a bit lower than just under threshold on the bike, while drifting closer toward the end. 

I'm really curious to see what I can hold, but you know what they say about curiosity (not that I'm particularly feline, mind you)...

Matt

2013-07-29 2:53 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Somehow managed 3rd in my AG in my race yesterday.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=496514&posts=6&page=1#M4816082

A little sore today, but not that bad. 

2013-07-29 2:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Congrats to everyone racing - awesome times! I'm in taper week for my HIM in Boulder on Sunday, and its killing me. I want to go out and hammer some hills just to make sure I'm prepared (knowing I'm probably not) but the plan says . . . I have been working hard on my swim and while I've put lots of time in the pool, I still suck. Like a brick swimming through the water dragging an anchor. But I can make the cutoff for the swim and it is just going to be what it is. With all of life's curves this summer, I'm in the "complete" category not the "compete" for Sunday.

On the bright side, my wife and I just bought a house. The best thing about the house is that its only 5 minutes from an indoor pool that opens at 5:30 a.m. Probably doesn't sound like a big deal but we are over an hour drive each way now. I didn't even go look at the house - just mapquest to see the driving distance. This winter is going to be dedicated to swimming and biking. I will also have a dedicated family room for my bike trainer and treadmill so I really have no excuse not to do a full ironman next year. I'm waiting to see how this half goes before pulling the trigger but it is really looking like Beach to Battleship for 2014. Or I might just stick with sprints. We'll see after Sunday.

Steve
2013-07-30 4:18 PM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Congrats on the house Steve and good luck in Boulder.
2013-07-31 4:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Taper started today for my 70.3 on 8/11.  Feeling good, almost wish the race was this weekend just to get it over with.  Question:

Nutrition/hydration/electrolyte wise, what has worked well for me and what I plan going into the race is honey stinger gel (my own) every 30 minutes on the bike, and concentrated skratch in three bottles on my bike.  The course provides clif shot blocks and gels, and cytomax, in addition to plain water of course.  I have single serving skratch packets so I can make my own if necessary.  I did not have a chance during training to try out cytomax.  Clif shot blocks don't work for me, but clif gels do, as long as it's not the caffienated ones.  But in training I really liked the honey stinger ones, they go down a lot easier.

I'm not looking to compete to win, just to finish and put forth the best effort I can in doing so.  If I were looking to podium, I'd have spent time (and perhaps will next year) getting used to whatever it is that the course is offering.  But for this one, I'm wondering how to handle the run.  They'll be handing out clif blocks, gels, cytomax, and water.  I'm fine with using the clif gels they're handing out, and I anticipate only taking 2 anyways, at most 3, but how should I handle the liquid?  I know everything is different, but the skratch worked for me so well that I just stuck with it.  Gatorade and similar sports drinks I can only take so much of because they taste so sugary my teeth feel funny, heed and the like give me gas, make me feel bloated, so I gave up on that immediately.  I may get a chance to get my hands on some cytomax this weekend, but obviously it's too late to test it on a long run/ride.  I can test it on a medium run/ride at best.  Should I aim to do that, hope it works, and drink that?  Should I bring my own bottle of concentrated skratch mix on the run and drink that with the water they hand out?

Edit to note: Again it's not that I haven't experimented.  I just haven't experimented with cytomax which happens to be what they are handing out.  Of the options that have been available to me, what has worked best for a two hour run is 2 24 oz. bottles of skratch, with 2 honey stinger gels, one at about 45 minutes, the next at 1:30.

Edited by Fresno_Joe 2013-07-31 4:02 PM
2013-08-01 9:19 AM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

I, personally, would just bring your own stuff as you know how you handle that. No reason to increase the risk of having GI issues because you are eating/drinking stuff you aren't accustomed to. For my 70.3, I didn't have an inordinate amount of stuff that I had to carry, so it wasn't a big burden.

2013-08-01 11:48 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Taper started today for my 70.3 on 8/11.  Feeling good, almost wish the race was this weekend just to get it over with.  Question:

Nutrition/hydration/electrolyte wise, what has worked well for me and what I plan going into the race is honey stinger gel (my own) every 30 minutes on the bike, and concentrated skratch in three bottles on my bike.  The course provides clif shot blocks and gels, and cytomax, in addition to plain water of course.  I have single serving skratch packets so I can make my own if necessary.  I did not have a chance during training to try out cytomax.  Clif shot blocks don't work for me, but clif gels do, as long as it's not the caffienated ones.  But in training I really liked the honey stinger ones, they go down a lot easier.

I'm not looking to compete to win, just to finish and put forth the best effort I can in doing so.  If I were looking to podium, I'd have spent time (and perhaps will next year) getting used to whatever it is that the course is offering.  But for this one, I'm wondering how to handle the run.  They'll be handing out clif blocks, gels, cytomax, and water.  I'm fine with using the clif gels they're handing out, and I anticipate only taking 2 anyways, at most 3, but how should I handle the liquid?  I know everything is different, but the skratch worked for me so well that I just stuck with it.  Gatorade and similar sports drinks I can only take so much of because they taste so sugary my teeth feel funny, heed and the like give me gas, make me feel bloated, so I gave up on that immediately.  I may get a chance to get my hands on some cytomax this weekend, but obviously it's too late to test it on a long run/ride.  I can test it on a medium run/ride at best.  Should I aim to do that, hope it works, and drink that?  Should I bring my own bottle of concentrated skratch mix on the run and drink that with the water they hand out?

Edit to note: Again it's not that I haven't experimented.  I just haven't experimented with cytomax which happens to be what they are handing out.  Of the options that have been available to me, what has worked best for a two hour run is 2 24 oz. bottles of skratch, with 2 honey stinger gels, one at about 45 minutes, the next at 1:30.

I guess at this point I would bring Skratch for the run. I'm not familiar with Skratch, so what does it offer to you that the gels do not? Could you increase your gels and then just grab water at the aid stations? If you are unable to digest all of the calories from a gel at once, there is no reason why you have to take the whole packet all together. How often are your aid stations? You could take 1/2 or 1/3 at something like every other mile.

2013-08-01 9:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by doxie

I guess at this point I would bring Skratch for the run. I'm not familiar with Skratch, so what does it offer to you that the gels do not? Could you increase your gels and then just grab water at the aid stations? If you are unable to digest all of the calories from a gel at once, there is no reason why you have to take the whole packet all together. How often are your aid stations? You could take 1/2 or 1/3 at something like every other mile.

I suppose that's an option I did not consider.  Frankly I tried the skratch as an electrolyte drink alternative and found I liked it a lot.  With it I tend to drink more.  It doesn't provide enough calories to use it without some supplemental food/gel/whatever.  But it does give me more salt than the gels.  I just found the combination worked well together for me.  But the half marathon I did last year I did with just water and gels.  So that's probably a good idea.  I'll just do skratch and gels on the bike and then gels and water on the run, with maybe increased frequency of the gels.  Thanks!
2013-08-03 6:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Looks like Steve's racing this weekend.  Anyone else?  Good luck to all the racers....have fun!
2013-08-03 5:25 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Last long ride before my HIM on 8/18. Put in 61 miles and it was good. Felt a bit stiff on some bigger hills, but went to a small gear and just spun. Tomorrow last long run.
2013-08-04 7:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Did my last long ride yesterday, too.  63 or 64 on the Timberman course, plus rode the first hills a second time to loop back and pick up a friend, then transitioned to one loop of the 2 loop run course.

Really glad I pre-rode/ran that one, as having seen the hills and the run course is super helpful for me in strategizing pace/effort (first HIM, and obviously also first time at Tman).  I'm going to post observations on the courses on the Tman thread if anyone is interested (anyone here aside from me and Mike D doing this one?).

Fitness felt pretty good.  This week was fairly heavy, so to ride feeling good and then run feeling not terrible was encouraging (wasn't sure where my fitness would be after a taper for and a short recovery from race a couple weeks ago).

Now on to a short week of peaking workouts and then a week of taper workouts… and then my first HIM!  Woot!

Matt

ETA:  Good luck to those actually racing this weekend, too!  RR, or it didn't happen.  Wink

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2013-08-04 7:34 AM

2013-08-04 8:59 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
First -- sorry for crashing the group (and especially to those who have no clue who I am...). I was going to post this in the TT forum, but when I looked around (after many months' absence) it looked, well, the same. And really anybody who might care about this post is on one of a few mentor groups anyway.

It's been a crazy many months, but I'll keep it short: our new, bigger, family is settled and happy. We're used to having little ones again and loving their energy. I've been running but no S/B. I have the green light to take a crack at IM Coeur D'Alene next summer, so if it is still open (haven't checked and I get paid next week so irrelevant until then...) I will sign up and start S/B in a couple of weeks.

Thanks to all those who gave well wishes those many months ago, and apologies to those who sent messages in the meantime -- I had to go cold turkey from BT (and many other things) to get my life in order. Mission accomplished.
2013-08-04 9:42 PM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Michael - so great to see you back.  I'm glad things have settled down for you, and I just checked and CDA is still open...so I'm excited to track your journey.

For those that don't know Michael, he is one of the top notch BT members with a ton of wisdom to share.

2013-08-05 11:25 AM

User image

New user
i'm 8 weeks out from my first HIM in August, GA and over the next few weeks will have my biggest peak weeks of training. This past weekend there was a century organized ride and i took the opportunity to ride the 67 mile route and practice my nutrition along with a brick run after the ride

My problem over the past couple of months is cramping in my thigh muscles on the run after the ride about 1 or 2 miles into the run. My fitness has come in pretty well the last couple of months and on rides like these, i am consumming 2 to 3 bottles of gatorade/water along with a hammer perpetuum/gu mixture. i don't seem to be dehydrated...

Ride went well this past weekend, although i probably pushed the first 20miles somewhat as i was riding with a group till the first rest stop and the 67 and 100 mile routes split. So maybe the cramping is related to fitness but from talking with some folks i train with periodically, a couple of folks mentioned they had similar problems in the past and took an electrolyte supplement and this helped wiht the cramping. I sweat alot....

i know if it difficult to assess these things without alot of additional details, but has anyone in this group had similar problems and/or remedies that worked? Appreciate your thoughts.
2013-08-05 11:56 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
My Boulder 70.3 race report is complete. It can be found here:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

I learned a lot from this race, specifically where my training was lacking at. The heat just killed me but overall I thought the course was good. I had some minor problems on the bike but was able to fix that on the fly. I just ran out of gas on the run. I saw my Garmin total time and tried to push it to break 7 hours but just couldn't get it done. I didn't feel that I was pushing too hard on the bike either. My average heart rate was where it should have been and I never felt like I was cooking my legs. I also didn't drink enough water on the run which had an effect. Anyway, I felt good when I completed it and now have a time to beat for the next one!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 51