BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-04-08 7:56 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

April 6-7
Stacey - Judgement Tree Night Trail 12k on Saturday
Jim - Klondike Canoe Marathon 10K run on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Epic fail at my run on Saturday night. 3 of us missed a turn and got off track (and it wasn't even dark). We eventually turned around and worked our way back up the hill but didn't find the marked trail until we were almost back at the start finish line. We wanted to do the out and back of the short run but the volunteer made us go into the finish. In total we only did 4km which was a bummer. We found out later that the reason that we didn't find the marked trail as we came back up the hill is because they had the sweep deflagging it behind the last runner and we had been a fair way ahead of them and so he didn't know that we had gone off course. Anyway I still had fun and it is always great to run the trails and even better in the dark. But I do think that I need to upgrade my watch to a Fenix 5S so that I can load maps onto it. I get lost very easily and that is the reason that I never run trails on my own apart from the one that runs directly along the side of the road. [/QUOTE

I was reading this quickly and at first thought "fail" was "fall"!! Glad you didn't have an epic fall!! Getting turned around on a trail race is part of the fun   But, I'd definitely use it as grounds for a new watch! I don't know how wedded you are to the Fenix 5S, but there are rumors the 945 will be released soon, so you may want to wait to see what it does both technology wise and cost to the 935 ( i'm pretty sure you can add maps to it).  

2019-04-08 8:21 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by glfprncsQuestion: How many of you are comfortable riding your bike solo outdoors? I'm ok riding mine at the local Army base. The roads are relatively traffic free, there are other cyclists out there, and the MPs drive the road every few hours. The dilemma? It's hilly as hell and my workouts are based on power. The hills are large enough that I'm at 100+% FTP as soon as I head up. I want to ride out there, but not every week.Today I did 3:05 on the trainer. It was bearable and not nearly as awful as I expected, but as I move from HIM prep to IM prep, I cannot even fathom 6+ hours on a trainer. We have some nice routes with good rollers up by the lake. However, I just don't know I feel comfortable riding solo. However, riding in a group is a pain, too, particularly when you have a specific thing you need to get done. Then there's the whole people who are late, etc. I just want to get there, get on my bike, and get done.What do you do to keep yourself safer if you choose to ride by yourself?
For IM Louisville I trained mostly by myself, so lots of solo outdoor rides. For IM Choo, most rides were with a friend who was also doing the race. For my upcoming Choo 70.3 I’m back to solo training. I have no issues riding alone, other than it’s more fun with others! The 2 places I do most of my rides are cyclist central, so, in theory, the people in the area are used to cyclist and or there are so many out and about it’s almost like riding with others- though this morning I only saw a few other cyclists for some reason! One thing I do to be more visible is on busier roads I will not go into aero! I’m a small enough object on the road, I don’t need to make myself smaller! I also use a blinking back light.

Same. Riding with friends is more fun. Riding alone is OK but I pick routes that are in "cyclist central" and I also tell Kevin my ride plan (whether he listens or not...). Blinking back light always, blinking front light when solo.

I've also decided, for now at at least, that ride that are less than 90 minutes will most likely be on the trainer (development in my area is such that shorter rides are less productive -- it just takes too long to get out of town) and that I will ride with friends once a week if at all possible. While group rides are probably less than optimal for training, I got into this sport to have fun with friends. I'm hoping to achieve a better balance this year ;-)

I support this objective!

2019-04-08 8:23 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

TW and I met up with Robin and friends for a little riding in the woods. It was a good Manatee meetup:

2019-04-08 8:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Andreas, fortunately, was in the trainer when I got injured (I rode a rental at Wanaka) , so he is fine as long as I want to ride him in our spare room. I just can't get him in or out of the trainer for travel, or take him outside, or switch bikes on the trainer. (Which I might do if I could physically handle it. A tri bike is awkward to ride sitting up, and my saddle is really only comfortable in aero. But my road saddle isn't that great either. Probably not worth the trouble.)

Hopefully no more travel planned for a while. Clearly it does not agree with my body right now.

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-04-08 8:32 AM
2019-04-08 8:52 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Andreas, fortunately, was in the trainer when I got injured (I rode a rental at Wanaka) , so he is fine as long as I want to ride him in our spare room. I just can't get him in or out of the trainer for travel, or take him outside, or switch bikes on the trainer. (Which I might do if I could physically handle it. A tri bike is awkward to ride sitting up, and my saddle is really only comfortable in aero. But my road saddle isn't that great either. Probably not worth the trouble.) Hopefully no more travel planned for a while. Clearly it does not agree with my body right now.

I'm glad that Andreas is available to you!

2019-04-08 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

TW and I met up with Robin and friends for a little riding in the woods. It was a good Manatee meetup:

Great picture!

2019-04-08 9:32 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by glfprncsQuestion: How many of you are comfortable riding your bike solo outdoors? I'm ok riding mine at the local Army base. The roads are relatively traffic free, there are other cyclists out there, and the MPs drive the road every few hours. The dilemma? It's hilly as hell and my workouts are based on power. The hills are large enough that I'm at 100+% FTP as soon as I head up. I want to ride out there, but not every week.Today I did 3:05 on the trainer. It was bearable and not nearly as awful as I expected, but as I move from HIM prep to IM prep, I cannot even fathom 6+ hours on a trainer. We have some nice routes with good rollers up by the lake. However, I just don't know I feel comfortable riding solo. However, riding in a group is a pain, too, particularly when you have a specific thing you need to get done. Then there's the whole people who are late, etc. I just want to get there, get on my bike, and get done.What do you do to keep yourself safer if you choose to ride by yourself?
For IM Louisville I trained mostly by myself, so lots of solo outdoor rides. For IM Choo, most rides were with a friend who was also doing the race. For my upcoming Choo 70.3 I’m back to solo training. I have no issues riding alone, other than it’s more fun with others! The 2 places I do most of my rides are cyclist central, so, in theory, the people in the area are used to cyclist and or there are so many out and about it’s almost like riding with others- though this morning I only saw a few other cyclists for some reason! One thing I do to be more visible is on busier roads I will not go into aero! I’m a small enough object on the road, I don’t need to make myself smaller! I also use a blinking back light.

Same. Riding with friends is more fun. Riding alone is OK but I pick routes that are in "cyclist central" and I also tell Kevin my ride plan (whether he listens or not...). Blinking back light always, blinking front light when solo.

I've also decided, for now at at least, that ride that are less than 90 minutes will most likely be on the trainer (development in my area is such that shorter rides are less productive -- it just takes too long to get out of town) and that I will ride with friends once a week if at all possible. While group rides are probably less than optimal for training, I got into this sport to have fun with friends. I'm hoping to achieve a better balance this year ;-)

I support this objective!

For me it depends who the other riders are. If I want to get a good workout I may ride with my partner, because we will motivate each other to push harder. But when we have larger group, there are more frequent stops, chats, etc... It is fun, but not when I need some good workout instead of social gathering.
I like solo rides, as it gives me all the control on how far, how much, where, etc.
My dilemma comes to mtb rides. I love doing those solo, but there are so many risks of injury, and if you add places where there is no cell phone signal, it's not always a good idea.

But for a road bike, I usually feel ok, especially now that I live on suburbs. In Chicago driving on the streets is a suicide, the risk I would never take...
2019-04-08 9:34 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

April 6-7

Is anyone else racing?

Epic fail at my run on Saturday night. 3 of us missed a turn and got off track (and it wasn't even dark). We eventually turned around and worked our way back up the hill but didn't find the marked trail until we were almost back at the start finish line. We wanted to do the out and back of the short run but the volunteer made us go into the finish. In total we only did 4km which was a bummer. We found out later that the reason that we didn't find the marked trail as we came back up the hill is because they had the sweep deflagging it behind the last runner and we had been a fair way ahead of them and so he didn't know that we had gone off course. Anyway I still had fun and it is always great to run the trails and even better in the dark. But I do think that I need to upgrade my watch to a Fenix 5S so that I can load maps onto it. I get lost very easily and that is the reason that I never run trails on my own apart from the one that runs directly along the side of the road. [/QUOTE

I was reading this quickly and at first thought "fail" was "fall"!! Glad you didn't have an epic fall!! Getting turned around on a trail race is part of the fun   But, I'd definitely use it as grounds for a new watch! I don't know how wedded you are to the Fenix 5S, but there are rumors the 945 will be released soon, so you may want to wait to see what it does both technology wise and cost to the 935 ( i'm pretty sure you can add maps to it).  

Ugh... sorry about the turns situation.... but glad you were able to find the way out of the trail labyrinth And that you had fun!
2019-04-08 9:35 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
Something went really goofy with the quotations up there
2019-04-08 11:37 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!!!

April 6-7

Is anyone else racing?

Epic fail at my run on Saturday night. 3 of us missed a turn and got off track (and it wasn't even dark). We eventually turned around and worked our way back up the hill but didn't find the marked trail until we were almost back at the start finish line. We wanted to do the out and back of the short run but the volunteer made us go into the finish. In total we only did 4km which was a bummer. We found out later that the reason that we didn't find the marked trail as we came back up the hill is because they had the sweep deflagging it behind the last runner and we had been a fair way ahead of them and so he didn't know that we had gone off course. Anyway I still had fun and it is always great to run the trails and even better in the dark. But I do think that I need to upgrade my watch to a Fenix 5S so that I can load maps onto it. I get lost very easily and that is the reason that I never run trails on my own apart from the one that runs directly along the side of the road.

I am happy that even though you were challenged with directions, you had fun! And there may be some new equipment in your future!

2019-04-08 1:08 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Joined my first master's swim session today. OMG...where have you been all my triathlon life??

Sadly, can't really go regularly until the summer, but come June...

The coach is SO helpful, but at the same time, she's a pusher. Got lots of pointers since I didn't grow up swimming in a league, worked on technique, got nice complements (apparently, I have great body position and a great catch & and my breaststroke kick is kick-ass), and didn't die swimming 1000 yards farther than my swim workouts over the last 6 months.

2019-04-08 2:00 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by glfprncs Joined my first master's swim session today. OMG...where have you been all my triathlon life?? Sadly, can't really go regularly until the summer, but come June... The coach is SO helpful, but at the same time, she's a pusher. Got lots of pointers since I didn't grow up swimming in a league, worked on technique, got nice complements (apparently, I have great body position and a great catch & and my breaststroke kick is kick-), and didn't die swimming 1000 yards farther than my swim workouts over the last 6 months.
Awesome, that's wonderful it went well for you.  Hopefully in June you can make it a regular thing.

2019-04-08 9:33 PM

User image

Speaking of Garmin devices....

Good news! I'm nearly positive that the Garmin 935 is going on sale soon. First off, I saw photos the rumored 945 "in the wild." Then, the watch strap on my 920XT broke last night. Spending money to fix the watch that you want to replace soonish is a sure sign of a sale to come, right?

Yes! Greg bought me my 935 because he got tired of hearing me yell at my 920 for not charging or dying during a workout.
2019-04-08 9:33 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
My race went well, Nothing notable for me. I finished in 52.26 which was good for 6th overall, 4th for men. If they did age groups, I won mine, since I was the only man over 50. This was the first time I've ever run this race and it was over 50 F, or even 40 F, which was nice.
2019-04-09 6:50 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo

Good news! I'm nearly positive that the Garmin 935 is going on sale soon. First off, I saw photos the rumored 945 "in the wild." Then, the watch strap on my 920XT broke last night. Spending money to fix the watch that you want to replace soonish is a sure sign of a sale to come, right?

Yes! Greg bought me my 935 because he got tired of hearing me yell at my 920 for not charging or dying during a workout.

how old is/was your (Janyne too) 920? Mine is 2.5 years. I have had a few minor issues with it, but nothing that makes me need a new watch - want yes, need no.  I realize i probably just jinxed my 920!

2019-04-09 6:51 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella My race went well, Nothing notable for me. I finished in 52.26 which was good for 6th overall, 4th for men. If they did age groups, I won mine, since I was the only man over 50. This was the first time I've ever run this race and it was over 50 F, or even 40 F, which was nice.

Congrats on the would be AG win 6th OA and 4th man is great!

2019-04-09 7:11 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella My race went well, Nothing notable for me. I finished in 52.26 which was good for 6th overall, 4th for men. If they did age groups, I won mine, since I was the only man over 50. This was the first time I've ever run this race and it was over 50 F, or even 40 F, which was nice.

Congratulations!

2019-04-09 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

how old is/was your (Janyne too) 920? Mine is 2.5 years. I have had a few minor issues with it, but nothing that makes me need a new watch - want yes, need no.  I realize i probably just jinxed my 920!

I got my 920XT in April/May 2015 so it's going on four years old. I had to replace the charging cable twice and I just replaced the watch band.

2019-04-09 7:57 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I got my 920XT in April/May 2015 so it's going on four years old. I had to replace the charging cable twice and I just replaced the watch band.

ok, good to know yours in 1.5 yrs older than mine! As much as i'd like a new watch, I just bought a new macbook air, so I can't spend any more $$ 

2019-04-09 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

ok, good to know yours in 1.5 yrs older than mine! As much as i'd like a new watch, I just bought a new macbook air, so I can't spend any more $$ 

Honestly, if I were doing a full IM this year, I'd definitely replace my 920XT. I don't trust the charge to hold that long. Since I am running and HIMing this year, the 920XT will work. If the price drops enough, I'd love to replace it but it's hanging in there. Also, I need to get the full $20 usage out of that watch band

(If the charging cable acts up again, all bets are off!)

2019-04-09 10:14 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Nice job, Jim!  6th overall is great!

2019-04-09 7:33 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Great picture!

we had a blast. Chris and wife are fun, great riders and chris is a great guide. He was kind to this herd of cats.
2019-04-09 9:57 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert
I bought my Garmin 935 two years ago and I love it. It's the best Tri watch I've owned. I have used it for two IM's and two half IM's and the battery does not seem to have lost any strength. It's easy to use and toggle between sports for multi sport. It has heart rate, but it can also connect with my HR monitor. It also connects with my bike computer. I would buy it again. I can't say that about any of the other watches I have owned.
2019-04-10 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I bought my Garmin 935 two years ago and I love it. It's the best Tri watch I've owned. I have used it for two IM's and two half IM's and the battery does not seem to have lost any strength. It's easy to use and toggle between sports for multi sport. It has heart rate, but it can also connect with my HR monitor. It also connects with my bike computer. I would buy it again. I can't say that about any of the other watches I have owned.

stop making me want one 

2019-04-10 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

A while back, we had a discussion about heart rate monitors on the arm. I saw this article and thought that some of you might be interested:

Optical HR Armband Shootout: Polar OH1+, Scosche Rhythm 24, Wahoo TICKR FIT

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107