General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-05-21 5:29 PM
in reply to: cornick

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread

Originally posted by cornick I think Iv'e decided to get an aero jacket for my back wheel for LP. Going to order it this week so I can use it a few times before race day. $100 you can't go wrong I don't think....

Jeff -- I got one about a month ago.  I haven't put it on my bike yet but plan to before this weekend.  I'm about 10 days out from my first tri of the year and need to practice with it before doing a 70.3 the first weekend of June.  I'm excited.  Also, a colleague who just finished IM Texas last weekend offered to loan me his Zipp 808 for the front...so I may have a nice aero set up relatively cheap/unexpectedly.

2013-05-21 8:59 PM
in reply to: TeamAndyBU

User image

New user
Add the one extra day of biking. Get the Strava app and identify some KOM's in your area that are close to each other. Lazily cruise to them then sprint up them. If you can't knock off those up at the top (which probably isn't easy cause those guys bike for a living) then just try to beat your own times. It's fun and if you can get them lined up correctly it is great interval training and can increase your FTP. If you are in a rural area just make up your own segments.
2013-05-22 7:55 AM
in reply to: klassman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Originally posted by klassman

Originally posted by cornick I think Iv'e decided to get an aero jacket for my back wheel for LP. Going to order it this week so I can use it a few times before race day. $100 you can't go wrong I don't think....

Jeff -- I got one about a month ago.  I haven't put it on my bike yet but plan to before this weekend.  I'm about 10 days out from my first tri of the year and need to practice with it before doing a 70.3 the first weekend of June.  I'm excited.  Also, a colleague who just finished IM Texas last weekend offered to loan me his Zipp 808 for the front...so I may have a nice aero set up relatively cheap/unexpectedly.

I decided to order one yesterday. Will be here next wednesday, just in time for Quassy!
2013-05-22 5:05 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

New user
Originally posted by dtoce

Originally posted by peterliu88

I carry the iPhone just so family can GPS track me on the course. 

Peter-How does one track using an i-phone? I am too obtuse to know how to do this.

Dale

There is an App from Apple called "Find Friends". It's an iPhone to iPhone only.
2013-05-22 6:09 PM
in reply to: peterliu88

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Originally posted by dtoce

I carry the iPhone just so family can GPS track me on the course. 

Peter-How does one track using an i-phone? I am too obtuse to know how to do this.

Dale

There is an App from Apple called "Find Friends". It's an iPhone to iPhone only.

Thanks, Peter!
2013-05-23 8:28 AM
in reply to: jmagnyc

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
Originally posted by jmagnyc

Cornick and all others that made it to Lake Placid this weekend: We are all eager to hear how the day up in LP went. How are the roads? Did you get in the water? How many beers did you have at the LP Brewery afterward?

I did a double loop on Saturday, followed by a 5k run. Sunday was supposed to be a double loop swim, but I only ended up swimming to the boathouse and back. It was chilly, but it was funny to watch the Fireman Ironman guys jump in and right back out after we were in for 40 minutes. Then I had intervals on the bike. Monday was a long run along the course.

The road from LP to Keene is as awful as ever. The climb back into town is amazing compared to what it was last year! All fresh pavement, no dodging holes while trying to climb. It was great. Now if only they could fix the descent.

2013-05-24 7:23 AM
in reply to: #4341496

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
I asked a question on Facebook, but didn't really get the answer I was looking for. Maybe some of you have an idea... In a shorter race, I know that I typically end up faster during the race than I was in training. So if I know my time for a double loop at LP in 2 different types of weather conditions, doing zone 1/2 on the flats and zone 3 on the hills, can I expect to be about the same on race day, or a little faster? Example: Cornick, you did 5:53 the other day. So is that your race day goal, or do you expect that you may possibly be a little quicker? I'm sure my coach will discuss race day pacing with me at some point, but I'm just curious.
2013-05-24 7:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Originally posted by erincs

I asked a question on Facebook, but didn't really get the answer I was looking for. Maybe some of you have an idea...

In a shorter race, I know that I typically end up faster during the race than I was in training. So if I know my time for a double loop at LP in 2 different types of weather conditions, doing zone 1/2 on the flats and zone 3 on the hills, can I expect to be about the same on race day, or a little faster?

Example: Cornick, you did 5:53 the other day. So is that your race day goal, or do you expect that you may possibly be a little quicker?

I'm sure my coach will discuss race day pacing with me at some point, but I'm just curious.

I would expect it would be a bit faster. But you need to be careful, this isn't a sprint where you redline the whole time. The appeal of the race, Ironman, competitiveness, adrenaline will all take it's toll and make you want to go faster. And you'll feel good and be able to...for a short time. But the mental control to let those urges go are HUGE and you have to be able to master that.

My goal time for the bike is about 5:30ish. 5:53 was within my comfort zone of pushing a little bit that day. I was on the VERY last day of my 3rd build week and starting recovery the following day. So, given that my legs were as trashed as they could be going into that day...I'm pleased with the results.

You'll almost always be faster on race day than when you are training unless you screw up your nutrition or blow out of the gate too fast.

Edited by cornick 2013-05-24 7:46 AM
2013-05-24 7:52 AM
in reply to: #4341496

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
Thanks, that's the type of answer I was looking for. As far as the mental aspect of the race, I usually do pretty well with "racing my own race", and not getting caught up in other things.
2013-05-25 5:05 PM
in reply to: erincs

User image

Regular

Finally!  First century of the year.  I went with Patrick and we put in 115+ miles.  Eager to see how many vertical feet we covered to compare to LP.  Of course, he went home and ran six miles.  I went home, showered and took the kids out for errands and the playground.  (We know how that will work out come race day.)  Happy to have a solid, long ride under my belt.  

2013-05-26 6:53 PM

Regular
Originally posted by klassman

Finally!  First century of the year.  I went with Patrick and we put in 115+ miles.  Eager to see how many vertical feet we covered to compare to LP.  Of course, he went home and ran six miles.  I went home, showered and took the kids out for errands and the playground.  (We know how that will work out come race day.)  Happy to have a solid, long ride under my belt.  

Awesome! Congrats!
I wish I could say the same; had a nasty attempt at a long ride today! Lots of wind, some rain, bike got gunked up... AND to top it off, the fit I had done yesterday was not tightened correctly, so my extensions were pointing at my front wheel (for all of you newbies, that is NOT ideal! ). Had to cut the ride short, to get the cockpit set up correctly. Good thing Quassy is in a week! This was honestly one of those days, glad to get it done before next week. Hope everyone else had a better day.

BTW, I have a compact crank, with a 12-27 on the back. I can say that I am not sure I love it. I am going to get an 11 on the back, because I find I run out of gears at full speed. Anyone else run into this?

Also, who all will be at Quassy? It would be great to meet as many of you as possible in person!

2013-05-26 6:55 PM

User image

Pro
Today must be biking day. We did a little over 70 miles with 5200 feet of climb. Sitting outside relaxing now. Have a date with the foam roller when I go back inside.
2013-05-27 7:07 AM
in reply to: erincs

Melbourne Beach
Last post sums it up well. It is difficult on the down hill with road conditions and traffic. The shoulders are the worst part of the road. One or two pot holes near the bottom prior to 9N turn could be damaging if not fatal. Going back up in two weeks. Need the hills being from Florida. Side note - the LP golf courses are in good shape and discounted after 2:00PM...
2013-05-28 8:57 AM
in reply to: rummy

User image

New user
Parts of the bike course got 34" of snow this past weekend but it will be 90 in a couple days.
2013-05-29 9:46 AM
in reply to: Tracker09

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
The good news with the cold weather up there is we are all but guaranteed a wetsuit legal race!

Big weekend coming up for Quassy peeps! Anyone else racing?
2013-05-29 10:01 AM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by cornick The good news with the cold weather up there is we are all but guaranteed a wetsuit legal race! Big weekend coming up for Quassy peeps! Anyone else racing?

Jeff -- I'll be down in Raleigh, North Carolina for the IM 70.3 Race.  First tri of the year and really the first time I've done this distance in two years because I was sick and missed the HIM that I had planned last spring.  We are expecting it to be about 90 degrees on Sunday and it will be my first race ever where wetsuits are not legal.

From what I can tell, there are some hills in the latter half of the course but nothing like climbing at LP or Quassy.  Nonetheless, it is my tuneup and should give me some indication of fitness.  Folks at Quassy will have a much better read on how their climbing legs are coming along based on past reports from that race. 

2013-05-29 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
Originally posted by cornick

The good news with the cold weather up there is we are all but guaranteed a wetsuit legal race!

Am I the only one hoping for a non-wetsuit legal race at LP?
2013-05-29 1:16 PM

User image

New user
In for Quassy, getting pretty excited for it actually. I'm feeling faster lately with all this training
2013-05-29 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
In for Quassy as well - also using the Aerojacket Wheel cover in their first race at Quassy.
Did a few OWS last week in CT, the water was fine with the suit, very cold without it.
2013-05-30 10:00 AM
in reply to: cobratodd

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
I've been walloped at work and home, so I haven't been checking in here with the regularity I'd like. Still getting used to the new system as well and couldn't quite figure out how to do a generic "reply". I hope this is right.

I paced the 4:45 group for the Vermont City Marathon this past week and had a blast ... still plenty sore despite slowing down quite a bit from my normal race pace. That's actually the longest I've ever run from a perspective of time on my feet.

Feeling really good about my run and my swim going into these final 60 days (58?). I really need to find some bike focus for the next few weeks ... had a gorgeous 20 miler this morning, and I've got 90 scheduled for the weekend. I'll be riding the course on June 22nd if anyone is interested.

Onward!
2013-05-31 9:24 PM
in reply to: BernardDogs

Regular
I'll be getting to Quassy tomorrow around 4 or 5... hope all that are racing get there well, and have a great race. It'll be a hot one!

2013-06-01 9:34 AM
in reply to: BernardDogs

User image

Pro
I am very disappointed to say this, but I will likely not be doing IMLP. I've spent a week wrestling with this, but there are very pressing business needs and opportunities happening right now, and I need to do what's right for the long term.

I run a small biotech company that did a pre-launch for a new product last month. Response has been extremely good, and we have investor meetings lined up. Also my business partner and board of directors are pushing me very hard (i.e up my a**) to focus on striking while the iron is hot. I simply can't juggle LP training and travel with business. I wish I could, but I can't. In trying to talk this through with a good friend and experienced triathlete he reminded me that there is always another race. I have employees and family to take care of, too.

I'll do IM. I'm still doing local HIM's this year. In the meantime I'm going to do a lot of sprints and other races that are local and don't take so much time. I'm not wasting all this training on nothing. And, honestly, I'm OK. I wasn't at the beginning of the week, but I am doing what's right for my future and all those who depend on me.

Hope you all have a fantastic time. I can't wait to read race reports.

2013-06-01 11:44 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Hey Brian - for now I am going to focus on the word "likely" as it leaves some room for the possibility that you may still be able to make it.

My wife is in a not-dissimilar situation with regard to work and LP. She keeps reminding herself that it is a very fortunate problem to have: she is healthy and work is going very, very well. Obviously the kind of situation many folks would trade for these days. It sound like you have the right outlook on it and recognize that it is "about the journey" as they say. I think it may relate, so I will pass on what Bryan Dunn shared with me about this time last year when I was contemplating pulling out of LP due to an injury. He said that it is all about the training, and the race only validates the training you have put in. So if life gets in the way and keeps you from meeting your training goals in such a way that will lead to an outcome on race day that you will be happy with, what is the point in doing the race? If on the otherhand you get to the end of July and you seem to have managed the training to allow an outcome that is meaningful to you, then I hope to see you at the swim start!

And heck, even if you don't race, IMLP is still a great training week. So maybe you could at least make it to the BT swim meet-up. Is it too soon to start planning that?!?

2013-06-01 2:04 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Pro
Originally posted by TankBoy

Hey Brian - for now I am going to focus on the word "likely" as it leaves some room for the possibility that you may still be able to make it.

My wife is in a not-dissimilar situation with regard to work and LP. She keeps reminding herself that it is a very fortunate problem to have: she is healthy and work is going very, very well. Obviously the kind of situation many folks would trade for these days. It sound like you have the right outlook on it and recognize that it is "about the journey" as they say. I think it may relate, so I will pass on what Bryan Dunn shared with me about this time last year when I was contemplating pulling out of LP due to an injury. He said that it is all about the training, and the race only validates the training you have put in. So if life gets in the way and keeps you from meeting your training goals in such a way that will lead to an outcome on race day that you will be happy with, what is the point in doing the race? If on the otherhand you get to the end of July and you seem to have managed the training to allow an outcome that is meaningful to you, then I hope to see you at the swim start!

And heck, even if you don't race, IMLP is still a great training week. So maybe you could at least make it to the BT swim meet-up. Is it too soon to start planning that?!?

Right, you are spot on about it being 'meaningful to me'. I had a long chat with my coach today and we discussed my goals. I could "probably" put in 10 hours a week and still finish.Go up there, race, and come home. But that's not why I am doing this. I want to enjoy the entire experience, not spend 17 hours suffering and these next 2 months leading up to that being stressed about things that ARE under my control.

I'm still making plans. I'm still doing a HIM in September and a marathon in November. Another goal is to take this huge baseline and get faster on short courses. I was 4th last year in 3 different sprints, one by 8 seconds. So there are still things to strive for, even if they are not getting the first long course race in the book.
2013-06-02 5:10 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
Sorry to hear that Brian. Hoping that maybe in the end it will work out...but you are right, there will always be another race.

Decided to try something today on my 70 mile ride to try and simulate the ride back into LP on the 2nd loop (as if that is possible). I absolutely torched my legs with 4x20min "max effort" (with 10 min easy riding recovery) during the first 2 1/2 hours. I planned for the last 20 miles to be straight into a 15mph headwind all the way home...really worked on mentally getting in a good place, keeping my power steady and not obsessing about speed into the headwind. All in all it was a good ride...

Hope everyone racing today had a good race! Won't be long now!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59