General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2009-09-27 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1855537

User image

Subject: RE: IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread
Interesting, accdg to this guy's pagehttp://iamtri.com/group/iromancozumel2009  he confirmed a 3 loop bike and run, as well as two transition areas (in a September 18 post).

Edited by ChrisM 2009-09-27 2:42 PM

2009-09-27 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Anybody have any idea how rough the water is likely to be??? Thanks.
2009-09-28 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2428477

User image

Pro
Burbs
ChrisM - 2009-09-27 3:41 PM Interesting, accdg to this guy's pagehttp://iamtri.com/group/iromancozumel2009  he confirmed a 3 loop bike and run, as well as two transition areas (in a September 18 post).

thanks !
2009-09-28 4:08 PM
in reply to: #2428495

User image

Pro
Tejas
98hogbay - 2009-09-27 2:59 PM Anybody have any idea how rough the water is likely to be??? Thanks.

I was there Saturday and the water was calm and remained so all day. I got in a nice swim about a mile south of the swim course and the water was great. I've never really seen the water get too rough on that side of the island anyway. The heat is a different story though! I hope the heat and humidity come down some or it will be a beast to contend with. We had a summer of consecutive 100+ days here in SA and I got off the boat and thought "Wow, it sure is hot", that was at 8 AM.
2009-09-28 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2430481

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
mdg2003 - 2009-09-28 5:08 PM
98hogbay - 2009-09-27 2:59 PM Anybody have any idea how rough the water is likely to be??? Thanks.

I was there Saturday and the water was calm and remained so all day. I got in a nice swim about a mile south of the swim course and the water was great. I've never really seen the water get too rough on that side of the island anyway. The heat is a different story though! I hope the heat and humidity come down some or it will be a beast to contend with. We had a summer of consecutive 100+ days here in SA and I got off the boat and thought "Wow, it sure is hot", that was at 8 AM.

Did you notice a strong current? 

I really hope that the temp goes down over the next few months or else the run is going to be a "death march".
2009-09-28 5:17 PM
in reply to: #2430490

User image

Pro
Burbs
runnergirl - 2009-09-28 5:12 PM

I really hope that the temp goes down over the next few months or else the run is going to be a "death march".

From what I can gather ... it SHOULD be in the 70s, max low 80s at that time of the year... that said, who knows what the weather will actually BE on Nov 29 ?!

How is everyone's training going?  I did an IM AquaVelo this weekend and it was a big confidence booster.. then again, I was pretty freaking happy to get off the bike and NOT run

2009-09-28 5:46 PM
in reply to: #2430490

User image

Pro
Tejas
runnergirl - 2009-09-28 4:12 PM

Not on the surface, but I didn't go out any further than 400 yds from shore. I did get a bit of a boost from the slight swell swimming to the north( I think that was the direction!). It was pretty close to conditions in a pool only with saltwater bouyancy and fishies! Water temp was pretty warm.  
2009-09-28 6:58 PM

User image

Currents (and wind) in Cozumel are variable.  No way you can tell how strong the current is going to be (or sometimes even which way), until you get there.  Divemasters check the current and strength before every dive (a little tip, they look and see whcih way the fishies are facing, always into the current if hovering ).

Even the day before, current conditions will be irrelevant
2009-09-28 8:17 PM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
My wife and I went to COZ a few months ago, and we swam NEAR the race swim area, went for a run down the bike course, rented a car and drove the bike course, and went into town where the run will take place. I wrote up my thoughts on the race course and took a few photos:

http://iwannagetphysical.blogspot.com/2009/03/ironman-cozumel-race-...

Thought that might help! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!
2009-10-02 4:29 PM

User image

Thought this might be of interest, I posted it on the other board since it looks like the new course description is out.  I think it's a little better, instead of 6 passes on the east road with a potential crosswind, you only have 3.  The west side will be blocked from the wind, and will give you a nice break before heading back into a headwind.  The bike will end with about 9 miles of nice tailwind

Bike - Yes, three loops of the south half of the island. It's basically, instead of turning around on the cross island road, you continue straight west back into downtown. That is going to be one looooong stretch of awesome tailwind (mitigated by the same amount of headwind at the south end, where you head east). There's a jog left an right to T2 where you start again.

This map shows the town. You will come in heading west (toward the bottom of the page) on the Island Crossroad (Ave,. Benito Juarez), turn left on Ave 30 Sur, then right on Calle 11 Sur (both appear to be main streets), then left on the waterfront road for loop 2/3 (Melgar, not named here). I think T2 is at the corner of 11 and Melgar (the oceanfront street, and the one you will run on), looks like there is a park there

Run - yes, run leaves T2, goes along the waterfront north towards the airport and back.

This map basically shows the route in the yellow by coincidence..... 3 loops around the bottom on the bike and 3 loops up north

Edited by ChrisM 2009-10-02 4:31 PM
2009-10-04 6:56 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Chris you are awesome ! thanks for the update(s)!

2009-10-12 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2428477

What does everyone think about having 2 transitions. I'm assuming we will drop our T2 bags off morning of and bags will be transported to the end of the bike (T2)? Something about this makes me a little nervous.

Also, do you think or have you heard if there will be athlete tracking during the races (similar to other IM events)?

Thanks--

J.J.
2009-10-12 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2455762

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
JJM - 2009-10-12 4:55 PM What does everyone think about having 2 transitions. I'm assuming we will drop our T2 bags off morning of and bags will be transported to the end of the bike (T2)? Something about this makes me a little nervous. Also, do you think or have you heard if there will be athlete tracking during the races (similar to other IM events)? Thanks-- J.J.

I've never dealt with this before but I don't think it will be all that bad.  Being that in an IM, your T1 and T2 bags are usually in different locations (meaning, spreadout through the TA) and you don't use the TA to transition like you do in other races.  Since you have to plan anyways for your bike and run stuff to go in different bags, for me it doesn't matter if those 2 bags are in different locations.  I'm a little worried though about making sure to rack my bike in the right TA and not being totally out of it coming off the bike   I hope the volunteers are on top of it for us

As for bag drop offs, at IM FL we had to drop our SN bags off in 2 different locations that morning before the race.  Our T1 and T2 bags were checked into transition the night before when we checked our bikes- they had numbered signs and we had to put ours in the proper order.   We had access to our T1 and T2 bags in the moring before the race if we had to add anything to them last minute.

I hope they have the athlete tracker- they usually do for international races. 

As for the logistics to how our T2 bag will get to where it needs to, I'm assuming either the volunteers will transport them or we'll have to.  Hopefully they'll post more details soon!!!

Is everyone getting antsy for this race?  I'm still figuring out if I should buy a bike case or borrow one.  Gotta get one quick though- time is running out!!
2009-10-13 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2455762

User image

Veteran
Georgia
JJM - 2009-10-12 4:55 PM What does everyone think about having 2 transitions. I'm assuming we will drop our T2 bags off morning of and bags will be transported to the end of the bike (T2)? Something about this makes me a little nervous. Also, do you think or have you heard if there will be athlete tracking during the races (similar to other IM events)? Thanks-- J.J.

I am actually rather pleased with the decision to have 2 transitions, as this means the finish is at or near T2 and we will probably not have to trek back down to Chankanaab after the race to retrieve our gear.  The website indicates we will get 5 bags, which is consitent with other IMs - T1, T2, Special Needs Bike, Special Needs Run, and Dry Clothes.  I cannot imagine they will not transport our T1 bags up to T2 along with our Dry Clothes bags we drop off before the start.

Most IMs require you to drop your transition bags and special needs bags the day before at bike check-in, so you have to be organized.  I have found packing each of these bags while packing for the trip to the IM works well.
2009-10-15 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2456553

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Hi all,

I have yet to book a room in Cozumel. Since I am traveling there solo, does anyone have a good economical suggestion? I would be up for sharing with any other groups and/or solo female athletes.

rb.
2009-10-16 2:56 PM
in reply to: #2461642

User image

New user

Rochester
I booked a place at the El Coz it was pretty cheap. Went through a travel agent and it was much cheaper than their "ironman rate" might be worth a shot.

44 more days and counting!

2009-10-18 5:38 PM
in reply to: #2463793

Has anyone given any thought to tire selection yet? Silly question, but just wondering if they even have problems with "Goathead" stickers there or something similar that would make me choose a heavier casing tire over my Pro Race 3's.

Colorado training is pretty tough right now with all of the thorn issues. Have gotten two flats in my last 3 rides which is pretty uncommon, especially since I have been running Gatorskins to avoid them.
2009-10-23 9:40 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
http://www.ironmancozumel.com/desc_recorridos_ing.html

official race course! squeeeee

(photos won't copy --- see website for maps)

The final race course for this year has been approved by the local authorities, which will be more spectators friendly and spectacular as well.

SWIM: 2.4 miles (3.8 km), (1 lap) :
It  will be an ocean swim, 1 lap, 1 massive in water start.   

During the first part of the course you will  be swimming against the current and the end you will swim with the current on your favor.     

The water visibility is 100% and big buoys will be placed every 200m for your reference with smaller ones along the course. Water temperature will be around 84 F, wetsuits will not be permitted.

Cozumel Ironman provides a brightly colored swim cap for each athlete. This cap is provided for safety and must be worn throughout the swim. Prior to the start, optional pre-race bags will be available for each athlete’s sweats, shoes, etc. Items must fit in the provided pre-swim bag. Valuables, pumps and backpacks will not be accepted at check-in. These bags will be kept in the post-race area and should be retrieved immediately after you finish the marathon portion of the event.

Cut off time: 2:20 hours after the start.

BIKE: 112 miles (180 km), (3 laps) :

The bike course starts at the CHANKANAAB parking lot (T1), and finishes at T2 next to Cozumel’s City Hall in the heart of downtown.   You´ll have to complete 3 laps along the Highway around the Island in a counter clockwise direction.    Every lap will go by the City Hall, between T2 and the finish line.

Upon leaving T1 at Chankanaab park, turn right on the Cozumel highway for about 12 miles towards the south side of the Island (Punta Sur), at this point you will continue towards the north for about 9 miles right next to the ocean, with strong cross winds,  until the junction with Juarez Ave. (a place called Mezcalitos), where you will turn left and go straight until 30th Ave. where you´ll turn left and go  straight to 11th street, turn right until City Hall to complete lap 1. Two more and you will have finished this beautiful bike ride. The entire course is flat and the pavement is in perfect conditions.     

** Important: Due to the strong cross winds during a portion of the bike segment, the use of disc wheels will be strictly forbidden, and the front wheel has to be of spoke construction, so please take this into consideration to select your racing wheels.    Race officials will monitor this at bike check in.

Bags will be provided for the "Special Foods Station" located near mid-point on the bike course (Km. 90). The Special Foods Station is for nutritional purposes ONLY, and ONLY food items will be allowed in the bag. All unclaimed bags will be discarded after station is closed.

Important:

*PARTICIPANTS ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR BIB NUMBER AT THE BACK DURING THIS SEGMENT.
* DRAFTING IS NOT ALLOWED.
*BLOCKING IS NOT ALLOWED.
*NO EXTERNAL AID OR SUPPORT IS ALLOWED.
*DURING THE BIKE YOU WILL FIND WATER BOTTLES (FILLED WITH WATER) AT THE AID STATIONS THAT WILL BE EXCHANGED FOR PARTICIPANTS PERSONAL BOTTLES, THERE WILL ASLO BE GATORADE BOTTLES.
*ATHLETES CAN WALK WITH THEIR BIKES IF NECESSARY.

* Bike's cut off time: 10:30 hours after the start.

RUN: 26.2 miles (42.195 km), (3 laps):

After finishing the bike portion of the race, hand in your bike to the T2 volunteers who will rack your bike for you, and proceed to the changing tents.
 The run will start towards the North along the main street (Rafael Melgar Ave.) until reaching the turnaround point near the Cozumel Golf Course.   It will be an out and back course to which you will run 3 laps and finish right in front the City Hall inside the main plaza.     

Car access will be totally restricted in this course.

You will find aid stations every other Km with orange and lemon flavor regular Gatorade, water, ice, PowerBar (bars and gel), Vaseline, Coke and medical assistance.
Bags will be provided for the Special Foods Station located near mid-point on marathon course. Special Foods Station is for nutritional purposes ONLY. All unclaimed bags will be discarded after Special Foods Station is closed.

Cut off time: 17 hours from the start of the event.
There will be race officials at every turnaround and along the course, as well as timing mats and video cameras.  

The competitor bib number should be visible at all times during the run, specially at the finish line.

We recommend that you stop your watch a few meters before or after crossing the finish line, so you do not obstruct your race number for your finish photo. We also recommend to stop your watch a few meters AFTER  crossing the finish line.

Important:
Medical assistance will be provided in bike – run transition. Athletes who may need serious medical assistance at this point will not be allowed to continue. Medical decision will be irrefutable.

1) Participants are required to wear bib number at the front during this segment.
2) NO family, friends or other than official assistance is allowed, this is an individual resistance event.

2009-10-27 9:13 AM

What did everyone think about this morning's update? Near 90 degrees with 90% humdity

and water temp at 79...nearly wetsuit legal. Guess I'll consider packing a wetsuit just in case.
2009-10-27 3:39 PM
in reply to: #2481414

User image

New user

Rochester
Hard to train for that weather in the northeast. I guess I should figure out a way to move a treadmill into the sauna at the gym.

Does the water temp normaly warm-up in November?
2009-10-27 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2482479

User image

Pro
Burbs
daninjawg - 2009-10-27 4:39 PM Hard to train for that weather in the northeast. I guess I should figure out a way to move a treadmill into the sauna at the gym. Does the water temp normaly warm-up in November?

I know some people think Maryland is the south but trust me, I'm a northerner.
It's getting cold here... am worried that this hot weather is going to come as a shock... it's been a while since I trained in really hot temperatures.

2009-10-29 12:31 AM
in reply to: #2482980

User image

Expert
trishie - 2009-10-27 6:11 PM

daninjawg - 2009-10-27 4:39 PM Hard to train for that weather in the northeast. I guess I should figure out a way to move a treadmill into the sauna at the gym. Does the water temp normaly warm-up in November?

I know some people think Maryland is the south but trust me, I'm a northerner.
It's getting cold here... am worried that this hot weather is going to come as a shock... it's been a while since I trained in really hot temperatures.

Ditto, I've been out running and biking an noticing snow on the local foothills. We live outside of Seattle about 20 miles from the local ski area, it's cold here now. I went for a 5hr ride on Sunday and wore the wrong gloves, my thumbs got so cold they stopped working (odd feeling).

We're getting in on the 24th, hoping 5 days is enough to get used to the temp and humidity.
2009-10-29 6:47 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
30 days !

how is everyone feeling ?
2009-10-29 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2485848

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
trishie - 2009-10-29 6:47 AM 30 days !

Feeling like I just want to get there and do the race Sealed
2009-10-29 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2485848

User image

New user

Rochester
trishie - 2009-10-29 7:47 AM

30 days !

Fresh and loose! It is almost time to start thinking about taper, crazy!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 13