General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach to Battleship HIM : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2010-10-13 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2877351

User image

Subject: RE: Beach to Battleship HIM : Official Thread
Hey, y'all gonna swim Friday Morning with the rest of us Yahoos?

Late lunch/early dinner together Friday afternoon? I put a suggestion as to where in the full distance thread.

A MONTH!?!?!? AAACCKK

2010-10-13 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3149107

User image

Regular
mdfahy - 2010-10-13 9:12 AM
monaskleinewelt - 2010-10-13 7:43 AM

My goal: survive the swim, excel in the bike, run my little heart out and finish in 6:15

I am totally with you on that! Smile With the difference that my goal is to keep it under 7 hours - but more important - HAVE LOTS OF FUN

My goal: Survive the run.  I did FLA 70.3 earlier this year and passed out at the finish line and got a recovery ride in the ambulance.  I hope it is nice and cool, the heat and I don't mix!

Oh no! But very important; did you pass out before or right after the finish line? Wink I think heat is the one thing you won't have to worry about at this event! I hope for a nice sunny mid sixties til mid seventies day - that would be such a treat!
2010-10-13 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3149120

User image

Regular
DanielG - 2010-10-13 9:18 AM Hey, y'all gonna swim Friday Morning with the rest of us Yahoos? Late lunch/early dinner together Friday afternoon? I put a suggestion as to where in the full distance thread. A MONTH!?!?!? AAACCKK

When and where are you planning to swim? Open water swim? It's going to be my first wetsuit race so I can def use all training swims I can get in! Gonna try to find your suggestion in the full thread.
2010-10-13 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3149145

User image

monaskleinewelt - 2010-10-13 9:24 AM

DanielG - 2010-10-13 9:18 AM Hey, y'all gonna swim Friday Morning with the rest of us Yahoos? Late lunch/early dinner together Friday afternoon? I put a suggestion as to where in the full distance thread. A MONTH!?!?!? AAACCKK

When and where are you planning to swim? Open water swim? It's going to be my first wetsuit race so I can def use all training swims I can get in! Gonna try to find your suggestion in the full thread.

Well the race starts at 7:00 (full) and 8:30 (HIM). How about in front of the Blockaid Runner for a 7:00 swim? Sunrise is 0642.
2010-10-13 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3149383

User image

Regular
DanielG - 2010-10-13 10:42 AM

Well the race starts at 7:00 (full) and 8:30 (HIM). How about in front of the Blockaid Runner for a 7:00 swim? Sunrise is 0642.

And a good breakfast afterwards! Sounds good to me! I will be there!
2010-10-13 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3149133

User image

Veteran
Richmond
monaskleinewelt - 2010-10-13 8:21 AM
mdfahy - 2010-10-13 9:12 AM
monaskleinewelt - 2010-10-13 7:43 AM

My goal: survive the swim, excel in the bike, run my little heart out and finish in 6:15

I am totally with you on that! Smile With the difference that my goal is to keep it under 7 hours - but more important - HAVE LOTS OF FUN

My goal: Survive the run.  I did FLA 70.3 earlier this year and passed out at the finish line and got a recovery ride in the ambulance.  I hope it is nice and cool, the heat and I don't mix!

Oh no! But very important; did you pass out before or right after the finish line? Wink I think heat is the one thing you won't have to worry about at this event! I hope for a nice sunny mid sixties til mid seventies day - that would be such a treat!

That was the question I asked when I woke up in the ambulance, the doc picked up the medal from my lap and said "they said you completed it".  I have pictures from the race that they took, showing me collapsing and another racer catching me right as I crossed the finish line.

2010-10-13 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3149515

User image

Regular

That was the question I asked when I woke up in the ambulance, the doc picked up the medal from my lap and said "they said you completed it".  I have pictures from the race that they took, showing me collapsing and another racer catching me right as I crossed the finish line.

LOL Awesome job! You did what I keep on telling my body during a race - "you can collapse! No biggie - just wait until we crossed the finish line" Wink Hope you get to enjoy your finish a bit more this time
2010-10-13 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
I will be there for the swim.
2010-10-13 10:04 PM
in reply to: #3149383

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
DanielG - 2010-10-13 9:42 AM

So where is the Blockaid Runner? Is this in the channel? I have never been to NC. I'm planning on flying in Thursday so a Friday swim would be great.
2010-10-14 3:02 AM
in reply to: #3151071

User image

popsracer - 2010-10-13 11:04 PM

So where is the Blockaid Runner? Is this in the channel? I have never been to NC. I'm planning on flying in Thursday so a Friday swim would be great.

Oops, misspelled it.

Blockade Runner Beach Resort?
Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480
(910) 256-2251

Check it out on mapquest or google maps.

If you follow route 76 away from the island, you'll see Wrightsville Beach Police Dept north of the road. That field is where T1 was last year. Going from the Blockade Runner to the Seapath Yacht Club gives you a decent swim and you come out where the end of the swim is for the actual race.
2010-10-14 7:00 AM
in reply to: #3151071

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
popsracer - 2010-10-13 11:04 PM

Blockade Runner is a hotel just over the bridge from T1.  There is a small sandy beach there.  Yes, it is on the Banks Channel.  The swim from Blockade Runner to Sea Path (swim out) is 1500 meters.  The HIM swim starts a little further up the channel and the iron distance swim starts further up the channel still.

This was taken from Sea Path.  The Blockade Runner is the white square topped building on the left.

2010-10-14 11:09 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Definitely in for the swim - thanks Daniel.  I was the one who raised the question on the full thread.
2010-10-15 6:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
I think my husband and I will join in on the swim as well.  We need all of the 'cold water' prep that we can get.  Laughing
2010-10-21 10:59 AM

User image

Regular
Okay so 23 days left - starting to think about the tapering. This is my first longer distance tri so I am wondering about when to start and how to reduce training.

Unfortunately I had to skip on training almost completely for 3 weeks just last months so I would like to train as long as possible but don't wanna waste it either and start tapering to late... Undecided

Anyone have any recommendations as to when and how to taper?

I saw some posts in the full - but they were all regarding the full distance and I guess there is a difference between the two in tapering...

Thanks all!
2010-10-21 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3164908

User image

monaskleinewelt - 2010-10-21 11:59 AM

Anyone have any recommendations as to when and how to taper?

I saw some posts in the full - but they were all regarding the full distance and I guess there is a difference between the two in tapering...

Thanks all!

I've done a handful of HIMs and usually it's a 2 week taper with the last week things like 20 minute run, 30 minute bike, why bother putting the shoes on type workouts. The second to last week is 10K runs and a whole bunch of single workout days rather than two a days.

No, there's not a whole lot of difference in HIM vs IM training plans now that I've done both. A couple more long runs and a couple more long bikes, that's about it.
2010-10-21 9:16 PM

User image

Regular
Thanks DanielG!
That gives me something as a guideline - also means I have to increase my running a bit I have been focusing more on the bike as I know I am a slow runner but can keep my slow steady pace over the halfmarathon distance.

So one more week to crank it up before starting to slow down - I can't believe it's only 3 weeks left!

2010-10-22 10:46 AM

User image

New user

Goldsboro
I am planning on being there as well for the Friday morning swim.

This will be my first salt water swim (first HIM as well).  I noticed a comment about getting sick due to the salt water.  Was that because of the waves or the water?  Thanks to all for the advice on this thread.
2010-10-22 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3166965

User image

jpmoyer - 2010-10-22 11:46 AM

I am planning on being there as well for the Friday morning swim.

This will be my first salt water swim (first HIM as well).  I noticed a comment about getting sick due to the salt water.  Was that because of the waves or the water?  Thanks to all for the advice on this thread.

Both. If you don't swim in water with a tide then the rocking can get to you and salt water tastes nothing like pool water.
2010-10-22 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3167098

User image

New user

Goldsboro
Thanks DanielG.   How concerned should I be about nausea?  I have spent plenty of time in the ocean, just never for a race.
2010-10-22 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3167305

User image

jpmoyer - 2010-10-22 1:48 PM

Thanks DanielG.   How concerned should I be about nausea?  I have spent plenty of time in the ocean, just never for a race.

Dunno. It's way too subjective for me to even have a guess about it.

Hell, I didn't know what was causing me to fall over in T1 until I wore earplugs for the first time and the dizziness went away.

Odds are you'll find out Friday morning, though
2010-10-22 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3167316

User image

Regular
DanielG - 2010-10-22 1:52 PM
jpmoyer - 2010-10-22 1:48 PM Thanks DanielG.   How concerned should I be about nausea?  I have spent plenty of time in the ocean, just never for a race.
Dunno. It's way too subjective for me to even have a guess about it. Hell, I didn't know what was causing me to fall over in T1 until I wore earplugs for the first time and the dizziness went away. Odds are you'll find out Friday morning, though

I used to get nauseated from the salt water when scuba diving or snorkeling, but that went away after lots of time in salt water - so if you are used to it I'd probably not worry too much about that but I agree with DanielG -that's different from person to person.

Dizziness? Is that just a personal thing or common? Seems like I find something new to worry about every day Laughing

2010-10-22 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3167343

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
monaskleinewelt - 2010-10-22 2:05 PM
DanielG - 2010-10-22 1:52 PM
jpmoyer - 2010-10-22 1:48 PM Thanks DanielG.   How concerned should I be about nausea?  I have spent plenty of time in the ocean, just never for a race.
Dunno. It's way too subjective for me to even have a guess about it. Hell, I didn't know what was causing me to fall over in T1 until I wore earplugs for the first time and the dizziness went away. Odds are you'll find out Friday morning, though

I used to get nauseated from the salt water when scuba diving or snorkeling, but that went away after lots of time in salt water - so if you are used to it I'd probably not worry too much about that but I agree with DanielG -that's different from person to person.

Dizziness? Is that just a personal thing or common? Seems like I find something new to worry about every day Laughing

I have little experience with salt water.  I do know that I will need to have something ready to eat as soon as I get on the bike so that I can get the salt out of my mouth.
2010-10-22 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3167343

User image

monaskleinewelt - 2010-10-22 2:05 PM

Apparently common as all hell. I'm a pilot and have never been motion sick in my life even with some of the kids trying to kill me. Cold water, okay anything cooler than luke warm water, can spin your head as soon as you get out of the water. Do a search on here on swimming and dizzy and see how many hits you get.

Swimming earplugs solves it unless you have some underlying medical condition with your inner ear.
http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2240.htm

Those are the ones I use and I just put a pair in each of my goggle cases. I wear them in the pool even and have not felt a bit dizzy since I started wearing them.
2010-10-22 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3167351

User image

Regular
Apparently common as all hell. I'm a pilot and have never been motion sick in my life even with some of the kids trying to kill me. Cold water, okay anything cooler than luke warm water, can spin your head as soon as you get out of the water. Do a search on here on swimming and dizzy and see how many hits you get. Swimming earplugs solves it unless you have some underlying medical condition with your inner ear. http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2240.htm Those are the ones I use and I just put a pair in each of my goggle cases. I wear them in the pool even and have not felt a bit dizzy since I started wearing them.

Okidoki - well that is interesting! I never had a problem - even in cold water, but then again I never really swam (more just a hanging out )in cold water! I guess for 3 bucks it's worthwhile getting a pair and seeing how the Friday swim goes!

Thanks DanielG - You are quite a source of information and helpful suggestions!!
2010-10-22 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3167507

User image

monaskleinewelt - 2010-10-22 3:13 PM

Apparently common as all hell. I'm a pilot and have never been motion sick in my life even with some of the kids trying to kill me. Cold water, okay anything cooler than luke warm water, can spin your head as soon as you get out of the water. Do a search on here on swimming and dizzy and see how many hits you get. Swimming earplugs solves it unless you have some underlying medical condition with your inner ear. http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2240.htm Those are the ones I use and I just put a pair in each of my goggle cases. I wear them in the pool even and have not felt a bit dizzy since I started wearing them.

Okidoki - well that is interesting! I never had a problem - even in cold water, but then again I never really swam (more just a hanging out )in cold water! I guess for 3 bucks it's worthwhile getting a pair and seeing how the Friday swim goes!

Thanks DanielG - You are quite a source of information and helpful suggestions!!

I'm a source of information, in any case. I guess whether it's good or helpful remains to be seen
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach to Battleship HIM : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 11