BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-01-07 8:47 PM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Subject: RE: SBR "U"
Man, this place is worse than the Orca galley, "farewell and adieu my fair Spanish ladies....."

tonight's sunset run was about 72 or so. Sky was on fire over the ocean. But supposed to get a cold snap into the 60s tomorrow. ....

2015-01-07 9:22 PM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Kim and I were just talking as we were getting the dogs ready for their evening constitutional about how "cold" it is (down to 36 at the moment) and that our hands are getting dry and such.  Then we reminisced about running last winter in the full cold weather kit back East, and about my cold weather riding getup (she remembered what that looked like as it was so dang silly).  So here goes:

Double wool socks (jammed in my shoes). Quilted booties (thick) - sometimes with a chemical warmer pack on top of my shoe (for as long as it would stay there). Thin long john bottoms. Bib shorts. Running shorts (for a little extra warmth where it counts). Leg warmers. Windproof, thick, insulated stirrup pants. Windproof chest paneled long sleeve thermal undershirt.  Regular kit shirt (not sure why I always wore that under all this stuff - habit I guess). Thick polar tech long john top. Windproof, thick, insulated zip-up jacket. Balaclava.  Facemask.  Insulated skullcap. Helmet.  Helmet cover.  Glove liners.  "Lobster" gloves.

You can see why she'd remember what I looked like.  LOL

Could barely move!  Like I said, stoopid sometimes.  Even with all that, it was painful in the single digits (little to no wind).  With some combination of that gear, though, I can pretty comfortably ride down well in to the teens (best in the twenties, as I can shed a couple of those layers and be able to move better).  The single digit stuff I'd only do on an 11 mile loop around town, where if things went sideways (Ben, to your point), I could just stop at a neighbors - knew most of the folks.  

Just thought I'd paint that picture, as it's kind of laughable and a part of me misses riding through the Boston 'burbs - but not THAT part of it.  

Matt

2015-01-07 9:30 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TankBoy Marc (or anybody else that has an idea) I know we are faster when it is warm and humid than we are when it is cold and dry. how much of that (generally) is attributed to air density, clothing, and/or the fact that we get fat and out of shape in the winter?

U shaped curve for me.  Faster, by far, in cool and clear weather.  Mid 40's to low 60's is my fastest range.  Keeps me from overheating and also the air is more dense than warm/humid air - which to me translates into more O2 per breath (which seems to override any increased air resistance, as even running fast, we're pretty slow from a resistance/density standpoint).  I'm OK through the mid 70's then it gets s.l.o.w. for me.  Maybe that'll change after this next summer.  

Below 40, though, and I need a vest and start thinking about tights as it goes lower.  Usually will start (even a race) with gloves and a knit cap.  I have a stock of wicked cheap ones for races, so I can toss them on course if I need to.  I think that extra layer of clothing, and perhaps the sting of cold (not cool) dry air in the upper respiratory system, starts to slow me down.  I am definitely slower (10-15 seconds/mile) in tights and a vest or jacket.  Doesn't sound like it should have that effect, but it's pretty consistent for me.

Add in ANY snow on top of old snow or ice, and I slow WAY down.  Broke my leg one year in snow on top of old ice, and now I'm admittedly gun-shy about it.  Same with trail runs if pine needles are covering roots.  <shudder>

Physiologically, the above makes sense to me, as well.

Just my tuppence.  Off to bed now!

Matt

2015-01-07 10:13 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by TankBoy Marc (or anybody else that has an idea) I know we are faster when it is warm and humid than we are when it is cold and dry. how much of that (generally) is attributed to air density, clothing, and/or the fact that we get fat and out of shape in the winter?

U shaped curve for me.  Faster, by far, in cool and clear weather.  Mid 40's to low 60's is my fastest range.  Keeps me from overheating and also the air is more dense than warm/humid air - which to me translates into more O2 per breath (which seems to override any increased air resistance, as even running fast, we're pretty slow from a resistance/density standpoint).  I'm OK through the mid 70's then it gets s.l.o.w. for me.  Maybe that'll change after this next summer.  

Below 40, though, and I need a vest and start thinking about tights as it goes lower.  Usually will start (even a race) with gloves and a knit cap.  I have a stock of wicked cheap ones for races, so I can toss them on course if I need to.  I think that extra layer of clothing, and perhaps the sting of cold (not cool) dry air in the upper respiratory system, starts to slow me down.  I am definitely slower (10-15 seconds/mile) in tights and a vest or jacket.  Doesn't sound like it should have that effect, but it's pretty consistent for me.

Add in ANY snow on top of old snow or ice, and I slow WAY down.  Broke my leg one year in snow on top of old ice, and now I'm admittedly gun-shy about it.  Same with trail runs if pine needles are covering roots.  

Physiologically, the above makes sense to me, as well.

Just my tuppence.  Off to bed now!

Matt

Running & riding tend do better with  as cold as I can go while not needing extra stuff to keep warm. Seems to be different points due to the wind chill difference.

I can't remember how much colder weather affects something like crr.

2015-01-08 5:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TankBoy
Marc (or anybody else that has an idea) I know we are faster when it is warm and humid than we are when it is cold and dry. how much of that (generally) is attributed to air density, clothing, and/or the fact that we get fat and out of shape in the winter?

Wow that's interesting. I am the complete opposite My fastest running months are February to May. That may have something to do with run frequency that goes up a lot. But my slowest months are in the summer and they pick up again in October/November.

I maintain a chart of HR/Run pace, by period of the year and it's clear August is my slowest month. Weird.

For me, perfect weather is close to 0, so 32 for you.

Edited by marcag 2015-01-08 5:40 AM
2015-01-08 6:24 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Really wondering about the affects of temperature and humidity (air density) on aerodynamics when cycling? For instance, is the difference between 0c and 25c enough to be measurable with a power meter? It would seem aero testing would be better when performed in the coolest weather in which you could test a proposed setup, position, etc, correct? In other words, the denser the air, the more small differences would be discernable? For instance, I can comfortably test my race-day kit in 15c temp, but often don't get around to testing setups until it is 25c. Can I get more precision in code temps or is the diffrence negligible?

2015-01-08 6:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Really wondering about the affects of temperature and humidity (air density) on aerodynamics when cycling? For instance, is the difference between 0c and 25c enough to be measurable with a power meter? It would seem aero testing would be better when performed in the coolest weather in which you could test a proposed setup, position, etc, correct? In other words, the denser the air, the more small differences would be discernable? For instance, I can comfortably test my race-day kit in 15c temp, but often don't get around to testing setups until it is 25c. Can I get more precision in code temps or is the diffrence negligible?

oh ya

200watts 70kg rider
35.68 km/h at 15 deg c
36.08 km/h at 25

6 watts difference

12watts betrween 5 and 25c

http://bikecalculator.com/veloMetricNum.html

Edited by marcag 2015-01-08 6:46 AM
2015-01-08 7:03 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by TankBoyReally wondering about the affects of temperature and humidity (air density) on aerodynamics when cycling? For instance, is the difference between 0c and 25c enough to be measurable with a power meter? It would seem aero testing would be better when performed in the coolest weather in which you could test a proposed setup, position, etc, correct? In other words, the denser the air, the more small differences would be discernable? For instance, I can comfortably test my race-day kit in 15c temp, but often don't get around to testing setups until it is 25c. Can I get more precision in code temps or is the diffrence negligible?
oh ya200watts 70kg rider35.68 km/h at 15 deg c36.08 km/h at 256 watts difference12watts betrween 5 and 25c http://bikecalculator.com/veloMetricNum.html

Verymeasurable. Thanks Marc - bikecalcator bookmarked.

2015-01-08 7:26 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Is there anything more annoying that having your PM dropout to zero for 5s in the middle of a short interval?  Bye bye AP....

2015-01-08 7:33 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Is there anything more annoying that having your PM dropout to zero for 5s in the middle of a short interval?  Bye bye AP....

Not much.

2015-01-08 7:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Edit the file, correct and re-upload.

I do it all the time. It's my way to be at 5.0 w/kg...oops....

2015-01-08 8:33 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Edit the file, correct and re-upload. I do it all the time. It's my way to be at 5.0 w/kg...oops....

I did.  Well, I didn't re-upload the file, I just reported the right numbers in the workout description.

2015-01-08 10:18 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Wow that's interesting. I am the complete opposite My fastest running months are February to May. That may have something to do with run frequency that goes up a lot. But my slowest months are in the summer and they pick up again in October/November. I maintain a chart of HR/Run pace, by period of the year and it's clear August is my slowest month. Weird. For me, perfect weather is close to 0, so 32 for you.

I put this down to the fact we don't do as well in heat - HR nice and low in cold temps and therefore the ability to run faster correlates to that lower HR, at least for me.  I am forced to slow down as the temps warm up or I'll explode.

So I tried to re-join the group the other day, and talked about how I would make this one stick - I then discovered this morning that 4 posts above mine was a bolded link to the new thread....  Anyway, I'm back for good this time.  As for riding in the cold, I've gone to the point where all by bottles have frozen and unscrewing the lids doesn't help as it's worse than a big gulp (alcohol was suggested as a preventitive measure).  But I also think I'm starting to weaken as I age in that I'm not willing to endure as much of the cold as I was before.  We'll see what this winter holds.

Kind of cool, but in a few weeks I get to try riding the new Velodrome built for the Pan Am games - 5min from my house.  My 10 year old and I are going to watch some races this weekend, and he's stoked about doing a structured track training course starting in a couple of weeks.  We'll see how he likes a bike with no brakes and if the enthusiasm holds.  I'm getting certified on the track but have no other bigger plans about how/when I'll use it.  Can't ride your own bike for aero testing or anything like that.

2015-01-08 10:25 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Hey Neil, good to hear from you!

The velodrome sounds pretty neat!  I thought I heard rumblings that at some point they might be setting up something like the ERO track.  No clue if that's true or not though.

2015-01-08 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Edit the file, correct and re-upload. I do it all the time. It's my way to be at 5.0 w/kg...oops....

I did.  Well, I didn't re-upload the file, I just reported the right numbers in the workout description.

In what program do you edit the files?

I feel like I use power fairly well while on the bike, but that there are so many levels beyond what I do in terms of playing with the data...

Matt

2015-01-08 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

The velodrome sounds pretty neat!  I thought I heard rumblings that at some point they might be setting up something like the ERO track.  No clue if that's true or not though.

It is true. AndyF will be running them.

2015-01-08 1:32 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Extreme Veteran

I feel like I use power fairly well while on the bike, but that there are so many levels beyond what I do in terms of playing with the data...

Matt

You can export from GC to a CSV file and then edit in Excel. You can do simple editing in GC, but there but it's eaier to manipulate in Excel.

2015-01-08 1:34 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Marc - you sure about this?  I know the Cdn National team had tested/trained on the ERO track so was hoping they would put something similar in place in Milton, but when I asked the question of Steve Bauer in the summer he looked at me like I was from the moon.

2015-01-08 1:44 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster

Marc - you sure about this?  I know the Cdn National team had tested/trained on the ERO track so was hoping they would put something similar in place in Milton, but when I asked the question of Steve Bauer in the summer he looked at me like I was from the moon.

I know for sure Andy was working on this. I can ask him if you are interested. We had corresponded about it in November
2015-01-08 4:33 PM

Master
, California

Wow that's interesting. I am the complete opposite My fastest running months are February to May. That may have something to do with run frequency that goes up a lot. But my slowest months are in the summer and they pick up again in October/November. I maintain a chart of HR/Run pace, by period of the year and it's clear August is my slowest month. Weird. For me, perfect weather is close to 0, so 32 for you.

I will have to dig up the link, but 60F is sort of the magic number.  Every 5 degrees higher corresponded to about 10sec / mile slower (to a point, of course).

I tend to run well in hot temperatures *relative to everyone else* but I'm still slower than my normal pace.  I think that's mostly just due to my body type and I don't sweat very much.

2015-01-08 5:51 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Matt

You can export from GC to a CSV file and then edit in Excel. You can do simple editing in GC, but there but it's eaier to manipulate in Excel.

I just did it in GoldenCheetah in the editor.  There were only 5 or 6 entries with zero power so I just entered numbers that were in the same range as what was going on right before and after the dropouts.

2015-01-09 2:53 AM

Master
, California

Any of you guys see this?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/09/former-nfl-player-swims-nine-miles-to-shore-after-falling-out-boat/

Very lucky he made it but also impressive.  That is a long time to be in cold water.

2015-01-09 8:10 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by GoFaster

I know for sure Andy was working on this. I can ask him if you are interested. We had corresponded about it in November

That would be great, I'd be really interested to hear his reponse.  I thought it made sense if the Cdn Track team was using this technology that they would want to continue to use it in their new "home".

2015-01-09 9:02 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by spudone

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/09/former-nfl-player-swims-nine-miles-to-shore-after-falling-out-boat/

Very lucky he made it but also impressive.  That is a long time to be in cold water.

phhhhhhhhhht. By my rough calculation he only swam a 6:40/100m pace. Not really all THAT impressive. seriously very fortunate indeed.

2015-01-09 10:35 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by spudone

phhhhhhhhhht. By my rough calculation he only swam a 6:40/100m pace. Not really all THAT impressive. seriously very fortunate indeed.

And best line from ST: "Well, he WAS a Dolphin."

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).