General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2011-02-07 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

Elite
SE
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
T
WHere might us 1:20 swimmers best go?

2011-02-07 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3343770

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
phatknot - 2011-02-07 3:25 PM T

Far right and in the back.  I generally count to 10 after the gun goes off and then wade in and get started.  There is still some touching but it's more like a junior high dance versus a drunken frat party.
2011-02-07 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3343770

Master
, California
phatknot - 2011-02-07 2:25 PM T

I stayed almost on the buoys.  It really felt like I was in the middle because SO many people were swimming far INSIDE the buoy line.  It didn't seem like the kayaks were doing much to push them back out.

I didn't find the contact to be terrible but I'm probably more oblivious to that than some.  On the first turn I had to tread a little and poke my way around but it was good after that.  The only thing that bugged me was the occasional person swimming diagonally across the entire pack.  Hint: if you're not actively sighting, try following the other 2000 people!

Most of the time I ignore that stuff.  I try to stick to a 3 strikes rule.  If someone clobbers me once or twice, I let it go.  Keep doing it, I'm going to cross over and swim over you.
2011-02-07 4:48 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

No experience here, but from what I've read CdA can be cold, choppy, and hard to site because you are swimming in such a large body of water (hard to see reference points on shore at times).  So planning to swim 65 should take into account the fact that 65 is a relatively fast swim at CdA (a quick look at the results puts that very much towards the front).  If you were a 65 swimmer at a previous IM race, it might be good to expect something a little more modest at CdA (depending, of course, on what that race was like).

In my opinion, if you are realistically going to swim 65, you should brave the pack.. that's where all the people you want to draft are going to be.  You never see their feet again if you wait a few seconds.  If the wrestling match really makes you uncomfortable, you'll have to be willing to lose that draft to find calmer water.

2011-02-07 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3343801

User image

Veteran
Dallas
spudone - 2011-02-07 4:45 PM

I stayed almost on the buoys.  It really felt like I was in the middle because SO many people were swimming far INSIDE the buoy line.  It didn't seem like the kayaks were doing much to push them back out.

I didn't find the contact to be terrible but I'm probably more oblivious to that than some.  On the first turn I had to tread a little and poke my way around but it was good after that.  The only thing that bugged me was the occasional person swimming diagonally across the entire pack.  Hint: if you're not actively sighting, try following the other 2000 people!

Most of the time I ignore that stuff.  I try to stick to a 3 strikes rule.  If someone clobbers me once or twice, I let it go.  Keep doing it, I'm going to cross over and swim over you.

What's the rule on this? 
2011-02-07 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3343811

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
JoshKaptur - 2011-02-07 3:48 PM

No experience here, but from what I've read CdA can be cold, choppy, and hard to site because you are swimming in such a large body of water (hard to see reference points on shore at times).  So planning to swim 65 should take into account the fact that 65 is a relatively fast swim at CdA (a quick look at the results puts that very much towards the front).  If you were a 65 swimmer at a previous IM race, it might be good to expect something a little more modest at CdA (depending, of course, on what that race was like).

In my opinion, if you are realistically going to swim 65, you should brave the pack.. that's where all the people you want to draft are going to be.  You never see their feet again if you wait a few seconds.  If the wrestling match really makes you uncomfortable, you'll have to be willing to lose that draft to find calmer water.

The only time I've had a hard time sighting is on the back side of the first loop where you swim about 200 yards into the sun.  Going out there is a big hill across the lake that you can sight on and then coming back in there it a big white tent in T1.  On the second loop the sun is up higher and you can see the turn.

2011-02-07 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3343821

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
3Aims - 2011-02-07 3:54 PM

What's the rule on this? 

You can swim on the inside of the little yellow marker buoy's.  You must go around the orange buoy's at the corners.
2011-02-07 5:42 PM
in reply to: #3343841

User image

Regular
Madison, AL
No knowledge of IMCDA per se, but I did IMFL in 1:01.  I lined up in the front row about 2/3 to 3/4 to the right.  In retrospect, I should have lined up about 1/2 way.  There weren't too many people to draft off of where I started at.  I was considerably faster in the IM swim than a 2.4 mile pool swim.  My best 2.4 mile pool swim prior to that was about 1:05.

2011-02-07 5:44 PM
in reply to: #3343841

Master
, California
T in Liberty Lake - 2011-02-07 3:04 PM
3Aims - 2011-02-07 3:54 PM

What's the rule on this? 

You can swim on the inside of the little yellow marker buoy's.  You must go around the orange buoy's at the corners.

I saw a lot of violations.  Not sure how those people were dealt with.  I stayed honest and went the whole distance but I can see how it would be easy to get messed up if you were following feet without sighting.
2011-02-07 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3343428

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-02-07 5:55 PM

New user

Coeur d Alene, Idaho
I actually live in CDA and as far as the bike course conditions I would venture to say that they as as good as any other race within the U.S.  Sure there are patch jobs throughout the course but over all the course is quite 'fun'.  It has many, many hills on the northern half of the loop but all of them are manageable

2011-02-07 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3343922

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
flyfishnurse - 2011-02-07 5:55 PM I actually live in CDA and as far as the bike course conditions I would venture to say that they as as good as any other race within the U.S.  Sure there are patch jobs throughout the course but over all the course is quite 'fun'.  It has many, many hills on the northern half of the loop but all of them are manageable

based on your login name I would love to pick your brain about how the fishing around CDA is.  tAKING THE FAMILY TO Glacier after the race.  However, I would hate to miss a good dry fly hole more than loosing 3 hours on race day if the truth be told.
2011-02-07 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3343174

Veteran
Richmond
RunRene - 2011-02-07 12:06 PM
3Aims - 2011-02-06 7:54 PM

I actually enjoy reading and learning from the diverse perspectives on this board so please keep up the.........ummm........disagreements.   

LOL!! Me too!  :-)

...interesting to hear the different perspectives.

I also appreciate this discussion greatly, it is a topic that I noodle and wonder about often, so I got alot out of it. Thanks to everyone who contributed.  Keep it up, please!!
2011-02-07 10:35 PM
in reply to: #3343542

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
edawno - 2011-02-07 12:51 PM Hello group. I will also be raceing and am a little late to the thred but wanted to say hi. I live in Bonney Lake WA so anyone close by feel free to say hi and everyone else I am looking forward to training tips. talk to you soon.

Welcome!  I live in Olympia so you're just up the road from me.  I rode up there once to visit family.  You've got a great hill to train on there with 410 rolling into town.

Brad 
2011-02-08 7:16 AM
in reply to: #3344016

Champion
SRQ, FL
kstater39 - 2011-02-07 7:53 PM
flyfishnurse - 2011-02-07 5:55 PM I actually live in CDA and as far as the bike course conditions I would venture to say that they as as good as any other race within the U.S.  Sure there are patch jobs throughout the course but over all the course is quite 'fun'.  It has many, many hills on the northern half of the loop but all of them are manageable

based on your login name I would love to pick your brain about how the fishing around CDA is.  tAKING THE FAMILY TO Glacier after the race.  However, I would hate to miss a good dry fly hole more than loosing 3 hours on race day if the truth be told.

We're going to Glacier after as well.  I'd love to pick *your* brain about what you plan to do.  (My plan was to sit and watch the lakes and drink beer.  The kids were not on board )
2011-02-08 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3343837

Master
Chesapeake, VA

T in Liberty Lake - 2011-02-07 6:02 PM
JoshKaptur - 2011-02-07 3:48 PM

The only time I've had a hard time sighting is on the back side of the first loop where you swim about 200 yards into the sun.  Going out there is a big hill across the lake that you can sight on and then coming back in there it a big white tent in T1.  On the second loop the sun is up higher and you can see the turn.

For this reason alone, tinted goggles are a must for CdA.  

I am a 1:30 swimmer and started back and right both years.  The only time I ever encountered a serious traffic jam was the first buoy on the first lap. However, in my estimation I swam too far right going out each time.  I will pay more attention to sighting in 2011 and take what contact comes.     

2011-02-08 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3344427

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
We're going to Glacier after as well.  I'd love to pick *your* brain about what you plan to do.  (My plan was to sit and watch the lakes and drink beer.  The kids were not on board )

I do not know yet.  My hesitation is not knowing how I will feel after with this being my first IM distance.  It will be my wife, myself and my 8 yr old.  This is my second trip to glacier.  My wife and I backpacked several miles/days back in 99.  I hope to at least do an overnight backcountry trip to upper two medicine lake.  I am know I will be doing some day hikes no matter what shape I am in as my daughter typically gets her way and that is what she loves to do - hike.  I have been to many national parks and Glacier is the most inspiring I have been to.  Going to the sun road is incredible in and of itself.  However, the backcountry lakes and scenery are incredible.  Lolo national forest and rock creek have incredible fishing outside of Missoula and we may even hit it for a day.  The after race trip is going to be more of a payback to my wife than anything else.  However, I can not leave Montana without eating some fire cooked fresh cooked trout  by the stream - it is against my religion. I will already be missing my spring backpacking/fishing trip in North Georgia for the first time in years due to training.  I plan to sit down and plan the trip soon and will let you know when I put it all together.  I do not think you can go wrong in Glacier no matter what you do though - wonderful place to recover!!
2011-02-08 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3344016

Master
Millersville, MD

Add me to the list of post-race Glacier vacationers. 

My brother lives in Missoula MT and has advised me that IMCdA coincides with some world-famous hatch on one of the local rivers.  He's got a drift boat and is handling all the details, but I assure you my 5wt will be part of my IM packing list.
2011-02-08 9:38 AM

Master
Millersville, MD
These were taken within 1 hour's drive of Missoula in late summer a few years ago.  This was a long day hike from the trailhead... we were backpacking for 5 days, but stayed at our campsite from the first night for the entire time since the site was so nice and the fishing was so good.

Large cutty's, rainbows, and bulls...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3277/2930799483_7af36238b1_z.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3289/2930797785_dc768e66c8_z.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3223/2931659296_8ab63dbef8_z.jpg

I've sent my brother an email asking for flyfishing advice, and will report back to here with what he says.
2011-02-08 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3343572

Master
phatknot - 2011-02-07 1:05 PM Daniel
I've heard some horror stories about the swim (cold, mass start crush). Watched some videos on youtube as well. I can't tell you where to seed yourself as I am a horrible swimmer but from my two mass IM starts I can tell you that if I was you @ 1:05 I would get closer to the front and draft the faster folks leaving us MOP and BOP behind.

We are all going to take a beating but I suspect its worse in the masses towards the middle and back. I'd be interested more in this aspect of things if anyone can add more about where is the least amt of traffic (i.e., far outside). You know those buoys are gonna be horrible.

There are some diagrams about which bike courses are more difficult out there if you google them. We have seen many course profile links and race reports on here and BT as well. I particularly liked the official pre-show on youtube which takes you on a visual tour with verbal description.

I swam a 1:05 at CDA last year. I started in the 2nd row, toward the left (the "inside" area). For me, it was full-contact-washing-machine the ENTIRE way. Around the buoys was the WORST. I had hoped it would thin out the 2nd lap, but it never, ever did. Really, for me, it was 1:05 of frustration and fighting for my place in the water. I'm not sure what I will do differently this year. I would love to find some clearer water and swim on my own (I don't care if I draft or not), but I don't want to swim 3 miles just to have some space! If nothing else, I'll be more mentally prepared this year for that 2nd lap, and will know that it will be just as much of a clobber-fest as the first.
2011-02-08 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3344768

Expert
Roswell, GA
kkcbelle - 2011-02-08 10:42 AM

phatknot - 2011-02-07 1:05 PM Daniel
I've heard some horror stories about the swim (cold, mass start crush). Watched some videos on youtube as well. I can't tell you where to seed yourself as I am a horrible swimmer but from my two mass IM starts I can tell you that if I was you @ 1:05 I would get closer to the front and draft the faster folks leaving us MOP and BOP behind.

We are all going to take a beating but I suspect its worse in the masses towards the middle and back. I'd be interested more in this aspect of things if anyone can add more about where is the least amt of traffic (i.e., far outside). You know those buoys are gonna be horrible.

There are some diagrams about which bike courses are more difficult out there if you google them. We have seen many course profile links and race reports on here and BT as well. I particularly liked the official pre-show on youtube which takes you on a visual tour with verbal description.

I swam a 1:05 at CDA last year. I started in the 2nd row, toward the left (the "inside" area). For me, it was full-contact-washing-machine the ENTIRE way. Around the buoys was the WORST. I had hoped it would thin out the 2nd lap, but it never, ever did. Really, for me, it was 1:05 of frustration and fighting for my place in the water. I'm not sure what I will do differently this year. I would love to find some clearer water and swim on my own (I don't care if I draft or not), but I don't want to swim 3 miles just to have some space! If nothing else, I'll be more mentally prepared this year for that 2nd lap, and will know that it will be just as much of a clobber-fest as the first.

Well that does not bode well haha. I am actually really good at zoning out during the swim, and lots of contact does not really affect me. I think what will make the biggest difference for me is just to practice OWS as much possible. Like, every other weekend. Swimming in a pool is one thing, but if I can prepare for everything that a big body of water has to offer, I think I will be alright.

2011-02-08 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3344713

Pro
Woodstock,GA

JoshKaptur - 2011-02-08 10:18 AM

Add me to the list of post-race Glacier vacationers. 

My brother lives in Missoula MT and has advised me that IMCdA coincides with some world-famous hatch on one of the local rivers.  He's got a drift boat and is handling all the details, but I assure you my 5wt will be part of my IM packing list.

The wife and I are planning to go to Glacier post IM as well. Any idea how long the drive is from CdA? We were thinking about driving up on Monday and spending the night and then driving back to CdA late Tuesday.

Can I join you guys fly fishing? Never tried it before but I have always wanted to give it a shot.

2011-02-08 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3344797

Master
Millersville, MD
Rocket Man - 2011-02-08 10:52 AM

Can I join you guys fly fishing? Never tried it before but I have always wanted to give it a shot.

Only if you'll wear a Penn State shirt.

I'll keep everyone posted on a potential flyfishing day hike near CdA if I get good intel.  The hatch I was referencing was closer to Missoula and not towards Glacier.  But the good news is you are never far from fantastic flyfishing in that part of the country.
2011-02-08 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3344797

Champion
SRQ, FL
Rocket Man - 2011-02-08 10:52 AM

The wife and I are planning to go to Glacier post IM as well. Any idea how long the drive is from CdA? We were thinking about driving up on Monday and spending the night and then driving back to CdA late Tuesday.

It's about 4-5 hours from CdA to the park. I'd plan on more than an overnight trip.
2011-02-08 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3344832

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
JoshKaptur - 2011-02-08 10:05 AM
Rocket Man - 2011-02-08 10:52

ok now I am pissed.  I have not been offended by any discussions about training.  I am what I am and i doubt any training method philosophy will make me able to KQ.  However, I do believe that this journey is 60%  physical and 40 mental.  I think we have to keep these message boards clean.  Josh you posting this "fishing porn" now has me looking forward to the post race activities more than the race.  I am appalled at this diversion.  You have to remember that people on this board may have addictions that are deeply embedded.  To put pictures on this board that enable this addiction can easily take away from the narrow focus needed for IM training.

On a serious note.  Rocketman UGA shirts will be allowed.  Thanks Josh for the leg work on fishing holes.  Have a great day of training.
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171