BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 62

2013-12-11 9:07 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?)

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Originally posted by rrrunner

Christmas shopping done so far...

DS2 - Adamo seat & 2 tickets to 3 Doors Down accoustic (and a Broncos scarf for his stocking)

Nephew-in-law - Bottles for his home brewing habit

That's it. Not off to a great start. I have some ideas for DH but haven't implemented any yet. So far everything except the scarf has been done via the interwebs.

How's everyone else doing at getting it done?

We are mostly done here--just a gift for my in laws and stocking stuffers left.

So far EVERYTHING has been bought online - and I LOVE it!  

Tony's stuff is done (just need to try and get it wrapped when he's not home at the same time as I am, NO idea when that might happen
SIL's pressie is bought, just waiting for it to arrive (she's my Secret Santa person this year)
Pressies for the niece and nephew are done and waiting for them to arrive as well - but everything has been shipped.  
One lawyer bought for and has arrived - just needs to be wrapped.  
The other 3 will most likely be getting bottles of booze which will be purchased this weekend.  

Done and DONE!  :D  

2013-12-12 9:16 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

DS2 - Adamo seat & 2 tickets to 3 Doors Down accoustic (and a Broncos scarf for his stocking)

That's it. Not off to a great start. I have some ideas for DH but haven't implemented any yet. So far everything except the scarf has been done via the interwebs.

I'm taking Friday off and knocking out my shopping.  We have very strict rules this year (we are playing a game with it)-- as in a low spending limit and receipts must be available for any cheating challenges (like in Scrabble you can challenge a word).  The limit is $50 (not including tax).  The store is Target.

DH and I did it last year.  My parents are playing this year as well.  It's challenging!

2013-12-12 9:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Tony's stuff is done (just need to try and get it wrapped when he's not home at the same time as I am, NO idea when that might happen
SIL's pressie is bought, just waiting for it to arrive (she's my Secret Santa person this year)
Pressies for the niece and nephew are done and waiting for them to arrive as well - but everything has been shipped.  
The other 3 will most likely be getting bottles of booze which will be purchased this weekend.  

I try to buy all mine on line as well- I love amazon prime!

. Ended up buying my 10 yo niece a slackline. I had never heard of one until my hair dresser told me they were all the rage. After I googled it, I had to make sure my brother and SIL would not kill me for buying her one! They look like a blast and I have plans to try hers out. So, after Xmas you will all probably see a post from me discussing how i broke some bone slacklining,For those who have never seen people slacklining here is a YouTube link. http://youtu.be/a6WujgxcMys

Edited by amd723 2013-12-12 9:39 AM

2013-12-12 9:45 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by amd723

. Ended up buying my 10 yo niece a slackline. I had never heard of one until my hair dresser told me they were all the rage. After I googled it, I had to make sure my brother and SIL would not kill me for buying her one! They look like a blast and I have plans to try hers out. So, after Xmas you will all probably see a post from me discussing how i broke some bone slacklining,For those who have never seen people slacklining here is a YouTube link. http://youtu.be/a6WujgxcMys

Holy H#LL!!!  I would so kill myself on one of those things!

2013-12-12 9:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

As someone who cannot do the balance poses in yoga, I would not be a good candidate!    Kevin, however, would love it!  Hmmm.  Target online has one.  I wonder if they have any in the stores?

ETA:  The "not sold in stores" should probably have been a tip.

Edited by jmkizer 2013-12-12 9:51 AM
2013-12-12 9:54 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jmkizer

I'm taking Friday off and knocking out my shopping.  We have very strict rules this year (we are playing a game with it)-- as in a low spending limit and receipts must be available for any cheating challenges (like in Scrabble you can challenge a word).  The limit is $50 (not including tax).  The store is Target.

DH and I did it last year.  My parents are playing this year as well.  It's challenging!

I LOVE this idea!!  I think I'm going to float this by the family this year and see what they think...  sounds like a ton of fun!  

2013-12-12 9:55 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

As someone who cannot do the balance poses in yoga, I would not be a good candidate!    Kevin, however, would love it!  Hmmm.  Target online has one.  I wonder if they have any in the stores?

I now have a GREAT idea for what to get the niece and nephew in a couple of years...  but only if they let Auntie Monica play on it too - that looks AWESOME!!  

2013-12-12 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

So your rules won't accommodate target online!? What a gyp . I am not a good candidate for them either, but that's not going to stop me!
2013-12-12 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Ha! I was looking for something for a niece about that age! Awesome! mysistermaykillme

2013-12-12 11:49 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by StaceyK Oh my Lord, who on this planet came up with the idea to teach primary school students to play the recorder and then thought this isn't bad enough lets put a group of them together, not bother tuning them, and then let them all play at the same time. I think my ears are bleeding! Maybe they could introduce this as a way to get confessions from people. Tell them that the "music" won't stop until they confess. It wouldn't take long!

Ahhh, poor Stacey!!  Can you secretly wear earplugs?  I'm chuckling as I think back to those grade school recorder concerts and such.

I would rather hear the recorders than the beginning violins!! (sorry it's true--though beginning anything in elementary school is hard to listen to!)

OMG - I totally remember learning to play the recorder and having to play "Ode to Joy" on the thing... that poor teacher.  

I am one of those people that is truly unfortunate when it comes to anything to do with music... I got kicked out of band in grade 6, told to go to choir for the rest of the term where I was promptly told that it would be okay if I stood in the back and hummed.  Fast forward and I still get shooshed if I attempt to sing anywhere but in the shower or in a car by myself with the windows rolled all the way up.  

I actually have a pretty good voice. I paid for some of my undergrad education traveling every weekend with a college sponsored group.

Still, . . . Every time I sing in the car, Jayson says very sweetly, "Mommy, I love your voice, but could you please not sing right now." He says it all the time. He never wants me to sing. So last night when he said it, again, I said, "if you love my voice, why do you want me to stop singing?" From the back of the car, I hear . . . .

crickets chirping

2013-12-12 11:50 AM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by Artemis

Hi Manatees!  Sorry I've been MIA for awhile.  I've been really busy.  My new job started on Monday; it's going well so far.  Lots of training for patient data.

E's 2nd birthday is today! Hard to believe she is already two. 

Hooray! Where did you end up? (You've probably said, but I can remember nothing.)

And happy (late) birthday to E.

2013-12-12 11:52 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Just a little update from my end. 

We leave for Bend tomorrow for Nats. There is enough variance in the weather report that I have to bring a lot of stuff. It *could* be snowing and 20 degrees, or it *could* be raining and 38 degrees. I don't have a huge preference I guess, so long as it's not windy! 

The course was described as this, "King has been carving out this year's national championship course at River's Edge Golf Course — the past few weekends he literally has been trailblazing, clearing sagebrush and making trails between fairways — and runners will have plenty of short uphills, some hillside scrambles and maybe even a hay bale or two to clear. King's course is a 2,000-meter loop on which competitors will run a number of circuits, depending on their racing division.

“A lot of people will be yelling at me in December,” jokes King, who was an All-America cross-country runner at Cornell University."

We had an ehhh - unexpected tune up last night that I was ill-prepared for. The workout was a hilly 1 x 13' course simulation @ 6:05 pace. I had to do it in sweatpants and dress socks. So, I guess that means I'm ready!

I love that course description. You are going to be amazing.

Are we talking about Bend, Oregon, or some other imposter Bend?

2013-12-12 11:54 AM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by Artemis

Hopefully you guys can see the picture from daycare today. Note, I did not put the bow in. She asked for it so she could have a bow like her friend.

E

Adorable! I love a girl with attitude.

2013-12-12 11:56 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Just a little update from my end. 

We leave for Bend tomorrow for Nats. There is enough variance in the weather report that I have to bring a lot of stuff. It *could* be snowing and 20 degrees, or it *could* be raining and 38 degrees. I don't have a huge preference I guess, so long as it's not windy! 

The course was described as this, "King has been carving out this year's national championship course at River's Edge Golf Course — the past few weekends he literally has been trailblazing, clearing sagebrush and making trails between fairways — and runners will have plenty of short uphills, some hillside scrambles and maybe even a hay bale or two to clear. King's course is a 2,000-meter loop on which competitors will run a number of circuits, depending on their racing division.

“A lot of people will be yelling at me in December,” jokes King, who was an All-America cross-country runner at Cornell University."

We had an ehhh - unexpected tune up last night that I was ill-prepared for. The workout was a hilly 1 x 13' course simulation @ 6:05 pace. I had to do it in sweatpants and dress socks. So, I guess that means I'm ready!

I hope you weren't wearing the too-big-for-you pants and put on an equally unexpected show??  

Go have fun and kick some serious arse at nationals!!  Lol - I remember reading about the course previously and thinking "man, this might be the first time ever that I'm glad I'm not fast"  

Oh my gosh, no kidding!

Ultimately, I was putting off doing laundry until right before my trip which is more or less the root of all these issues. Haha

LOL - I totally do that too!!  Makes me cringe to think of what my not-appropriate-for-work outfit will be the day before we fly to Vancouver...  

Speaking of ... Are you going to be in Seattle for a bit? Poutine mile? Maybe just a drink?

We'll be in Seattle from sometime on the 28th (driving from Vancouver so who knows how long it will take to cross the border) until our plane leaves at 2pm on the 29th.  Will you and J be around??  I may or may not be in shape for a poutine mile after the gluttony of the previous week... but drinks?  Hell yes!!  

I believe so! Please remind me when it's a little closer. 

And if we're talking about December, I'll be in the Puget Sound area, too! (I talk like I can just do whatever I want while I'm there, which is probably not the case since I'll have boys, husband, mother, niece, great-niece, etc . . . but I can dream of escaping on my own or just with hubby.)

2013-12-12 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by amd723 I try to buy all mine on line as well- I love amazon prime!

Good Lord!

2013-12-12 12:07 PM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Master
Central Kansas

I guess you noticed I'm around today. My last final exam was Tuesday morning. I still have one class to grade, but everything else is done. I'm just buried in administrative stuff. I'm still not 100% healthy -- I swear I've had every single little thing imaginable. I won't even go into the details. Not pleasant. I thought I'd pulled a muscle coughing around Thanksgiving, but it is still sore, so I have no idea what that is all about. My husband and I don't think there are any vital organs in that area, but the spot is still really tender to the touch.

I've been stressing a little about my lack of physical activity, but I'm trying to relax about it and tell myself that my body could use a little bit of a rest.

The thing is, everything that hurts after a run, hurts anyway, whether I run or not. I had to ice my bunion the other day for no reason!!! It is so frustrating. I still have to drag myself up in the morning, all achey. I still get shooting hip pains. I've decided that I'm just old and I'm going to feel horrible no matter what, so I might as well run. In away, I guess that's good news?

2013-12-12 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by KansasMom

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by StaceyK Oh my Lord, who on this planet came up with the idea to teach primary school students to play the recorder and then thought this isn't bad enough lets put a group of them together, not bother tuning them, and then let them all play at the same time. I think my ears are bleeding! Maybe they could introduce this as a way to get confessions from people. Tell them that the "music" won't stop until they confess. It wouldn't take long!

Ahhh, poor Stacey!!  Can you secretly wear earplugs?  I'm chuckling as I think back to those grade school recorder concerts and such.

I would rather hear the recorders than the beginning violins!! (sorry it's true--though beginning anything in elementary school is hard to listen to!)

OMG - I totally remember learning to play the recorder and having to play "Ode to Joy" on the thing... that poor teacher.  

I am one of those people that is truly unfortunate when it comes to anything to do with music... I got kicked out of band in grade 6, told to go to choir for the rest of the term where I was promptly told that it would be okay if I stood in the back and hummed.  Fast forward and I still get shooshed if I attempt to sing anywhere but in the shower or in a car by myself with the windows rolled all the way up.  

I actually have a pretty good voice. I paid for some of my undergrad education traveling every weekend with a college sponsored group.

Still, . . . Every time I sing in the car, Jayson says very sweetly, "Mommy, I love your voice, but could you please not sing right now." He says it all the time. He never wants me to sing. So last night when he said it, again, I said, "if you love my voice, why do you want me to stop singing?" From the back of the car, I hear . . . .

crickets chirping

That's funny!!!!

I love to sing. I was in choir in junior high but gave in up in HS because band was more important. My boys don't mind when I sing (DS1 makes fun when I sing several octaves above Randy Travis) and DH tries to talk me in to singing (on stage) at church (no tanx). My brother sings too and we had a great time playing Rock Band when they were here at Thanksgiving.

2013-12-12 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I guess you noticed I'm around today. My last final exam was Tuesday morning. I still have one class to grade, but everything else is done. I'm just buried in administrative stuff. I'm still not 100% healthy -- I swear I've had every single little thing imaginable. I won't even go into the details. Not pleasant. I thought I'd pulled a muscle coughing around Thanksgiving, but it is still sore, so I have no idea what that is all about. My husband and I don't think there are any vital organs in that area, but the spot is still really tender to the touch.

I've been stressing a little about my lack of physical activity, but I'm trying to relax about it and tell myself that my body could use a little bit of a rest.

The thing is, everything that hurts after a run, hurts anyway, whether I run or not. I had to ice my bunion the other day for no reason!!! It is so frustrating. I still have to drag myself up in the morning, all achey. I still get shooting hip pains. I've decided that I'm just old and I'm going to feel horrible no matter what, so I might as well run. In away, I guess that's good news?

Yep. Sometimes it just hurts. I'm still dealing with a sore tailbone from my fall a couple weeks ago. It doesn't hurt when I run but(t) I sure feel it after!

2013-12-12 2:01 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
24 days until Jantastic starts. Anyone signed up yet?

http://www.jantastic.me/
2013-12-12 2:03 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Orlando
Remind me how to sign up for the manatee group. Thx
2013-12-12 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Glad to have you back! Hope things slow down for you and you start feeling better soon.

2013-12-12 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723 Remind me how to sign up for the manatee group. Thx

Yes, please. And thanks for the reminder!

2013-12-12 2:32 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Remind me how to sign up for the manatee group. Thx

Go to. http://www.jantastic.me/
Register on there and when it gets to choose/create team just search through for the Mad Manatees under M. It then asks for you to predict your weekly runs you're gonna complete each week, but you don't have to do that bit yet.
2013-12-12 2:36 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
They're are trying out a new web site for this year, so there may be a few glitches in there.

And for those that listen to podcasts, jantastic is from these guys http://www.marathontalk.com/some very funny stuff and good training tips in there. Download it for your long run/ turbo session.
2013-12-12 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by amd723Remind me how to sign up for the manatee group. Thx
Go to. http://www.jantastic.me/Registeron there and when it gets to choose/create team just search through for the Mad Manatees under M. It then asks for you to predict your weekly runs you're gonna complete each week, but you don't have to do that bit yet.
Ok, I've signed up. I also set my January goal.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  

of 62

RELATED POSTS

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : September 20, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Snapping hip syndrome is a condition described by a snapping sensation felt when the hip is flexed and extended. It is often also treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : May 29, 2012
I recently just ran a 5 mile race, and in the last 100 meters I was sprinting to pass someone and I felt a "pop" in my left arch. Could I have strained it? What is your advice for healing?
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.