BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2010-11-28 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3227875

User image

Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
kkcbelle - 2010-11-28 1:45 PM Home! I had a good run today -- definitely a course PR by about 3:00, but not a life-time PR. Just found the results and I was a 1:50:57. Felt really good running, just found a pace and settled in. I pulled back in the middle a bit (maybe too much?), and then the course is super-duper hilly the 2nd half. Around mile 10 I realized I might have a bit too much in the tank, so I tried to pick it up. On the last mile (around 12.7 miles) I was definitely dragging, so I think I left as much out there as I could!! I pretty much suck going up hills, but so it goes. I feel good about the run and my body feels pretty good too.

It's been a super exhausting weekend around here. I abstained from the booze with  my younger cousins, but stayed up way past my bedtime every night. And doing meals for 20 peopls every night, even with leftovers and kitchen help, is downright tiring. Feet were sore every night for sure. Still have 6 houseguests, everyone else leaves tomorrow. It's been an amazingly awesome weekend. Love it. Love my fam. Love life. It's all good!!!

Awesome job Kyla!!  Great way to cap of a wonderful family holiday!

2010-11-28 2:35 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2010-11-28 1:45 PM Home! I had a good run today -- definitely a course PR by about 3:00, but not a life-time PR. Just found the results and I was a 1:50:57. Felt really good running, just found a pace and settled in. I pulled back in the middle a bit (maybe too much?), and then the course is super-duper hilly the 2nd half. Around mile 10 I realized I might have a bit too much in the tank, so I tried to pick it up. On the last mile (around 12.7 miles) I was definitely dragging, so I think I left as much out there as I could!! I pretty much suck going up hills, but so it goes. I feel good about the run and my body feels pretty good too.

It's been a super exhausting weekend around here. I abstained from the booze with  my younger cousins, but stayed up way past my bedtime every night. And doing meals for 20 peopls every night, even with leftovers and kitchen help, is downright tiring. Feet were sore every night for sure. Still have 6 houseguests, everyone else leaves tomorrow. It's been an amazingly awesome weekend. Love it. Love my fam. Love life. It's all good!!!

awesome job slacker.  you still sound like a 25 year old too!!!  but abstaining from the booze.... booooo!
2010-11-28 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3227944

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2010-11-28 12:35 PM

awesome job slacker.  you still sound like a 25 year old too!!!  but abstaining from the booze.... booooo!

Then I'm aging rapidly, cuz when we first talked you said I sounded 18.

Still have a 25-year-old cousin staying here tonight, so might enjoy a few with her tonight. So funny, the "youngsters" did a booze run the first afternoon here (we have to buy liquor in a state liquor store)... and had to make another one on Saturday. Really, a wild bunch. So much fun!!
2010-11-28 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

Great job Kyla!
2010-11-28 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3138641

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Terrific job Kyla, booze or no booze!!!!

What about those Badgers? ROSE BOWL bound?  I won't be going this time around, but it'll be a great way to ring in the new year.
2010-11-28 5:38 PM

User image

Great job, Kyla! I'm glad you had a good run! Enjoy the rest of the family visit! 

2010-11-28 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3228033

User image

Master
Sin City
Hello everyone! Hope you're all doing well and getting ready for Las Vegas!  Training has gone a bit downhill, but whatever. I am capable of doing the half-mary, and at this point (and I've said it many times prior), that I'm just going to have a HELLUVA time! Who cares if I have to walk the majority of it, but I'm hoping that I won't. I've done 8 miles and I felt like I had a LOT left in my tank, so I know how to pace myself, I just have to make sure not to allow my excitement push me the first 6 miles. I rather go slow then take off the last 7. :-)

Anyways - Christmas is around the corner and I would like to upgrade my bike, but not sure how!  I would LOVE to have a Tri bike, but my bike is just a little over a year old, and I spent GOOD money on this, so I would hate to see it sitting in the corner.   SO help me decide.

I would really like to upgrade my wheels OR get aerobars. BUT - I have a feeling that aerobars is a little bit out of the question, mainly because all I'm on is hills, and I'm comfortable going in the drops and tucking in if I have to (I've gotten up to 40mph in this position).

The problem is - the wheels that I like - Reynolds, Zipps, HED, etc, the good size deep set (not those that are like Zipp 1080 - more like 303s, 404s, or SRAM S60) - are slightly more than what my bike is worth.

Can anyone recommend me some really good racing wheelset that won't break the bank? More than a beginner racer wheels, but not as advanced as Zipp 1080s.  Even if the wheelset is medium depth, like Zipp 303s.    I'm just so confused with the amount of choices.

I would like to be faster on the bike (who doesn't?), and I wonder if the racing wheels will help me a little bit (yes I know the "engine" is what makes it go faster, but hey can't I get a little boost?).   I currently have Alx 298 that is standard with my bike.

I'm not picky, and it does not need to be carbon, but it should be strong enough to get me going on uphills as well as downhills. 

Thanks for ANY recommendations!  

I can't wait to meet you guys! I'm PRAYING that the winds subside by next weekend. It was really nice and cool (50-60's) yesterday and Friday, but it's SO windy and COLD today. 

2010-11-28 6:32 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Kyla ... nice job on the run!

DJ ... Don't know how much you are wanting to spend, but if you want to get wheels for your bike, I have seen several companies with 50mm ish wheels around the $700 range.  Nashbar is running a special right now, and Planet X has 50mm for $675.

I have a friend here that has his road bike decked out with carbon wheels and jammer clip ons with a aero bottle etc, and he does all his IM events on it.  It is a sweet ride... if you decide to go that route.
2010-11-28 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3228129

User image

Master
Sin City
Plainsman AU - 2010-11-28 4:32 PM Kyla ... nice job on the run!

DJ ... Don't know how much you are wanting to spend, but if you want to get wheels for your bike, I have seen several companies with 50mm ish wheels around the $700 range.  Nashbar is running a special right now, and Planet X has 50mm for $675.

I have a friend here that has his road bike decked out with carbon wheels and jammer clip ons with a aero bottle etc, and he does all his IM events on it.  It is a sweet ride... if you decide to go that route.

That's a PERFECT price actually! :-) I was looking for something within/below the $1000 range.  Thanks!!! 
2010-11-29 6:58 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Hi Everyone. Hope you all had a great weekend. Sorry I have been absent so much. I have tried to keep up with the thread as much as possible. My new career is taking up a lot of time right now so not as much time to spend with my good friends.

Congrats of the run Kyla. I would be exhausted just having that many people in my house.As opposed to you I had the house to myself. My wife went shopping in Erie Pennsylvania for the Black Friday weekend. I did a good bike ride Friday and then watched a movie with a friend and shared a bit of wine. Saturday my BIL and I bbq'd. It was a little cold outside but nothing like the previous week in Calgary. Also over the weekend I put up our Christmas decorations and tree. It's a little early but what the heck with no one here it worked out prefect.

Today I am off to the new sports complex to try out the running track there. Have a great week everyone.

Edited by Redknight 2010-11-29 7:01 AM
2010-11-29 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
DJ,  if you don't have your heart set on wheels but just want to improve your bike speed, and aero helmet gives you just as much bang for your buck as the wheels, and they are a lot cheaper.    Another improvement is the pay to have a refitting in a more aero/aggressive position. That will make a big difference as well.

2010-11-29 8:43 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Hey MG:I was on http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/and they have the Garmin 310XT with HR strap for $299. Use coupon code "789" and get another 5% which brings the price to $284.99. They also have a trade in policy where you send in your old HRM and they give you up to 20% off the price. That would be another $60! Doug
2010-11-29 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3228187

User image

Veteran
CyborgQueen - 2010-11-28 5:45 PM

Plainsman AU - 2010-11-28 4:32 PM Kyla ... nice job on the run!

That's a PERFECT price actually! :-) I was looking for something within/below the $1000 range.  Thanks!!! 

Hi DJ,

Let me throw another idea your way: for the next 24 hours, Trisports.com has 25% off most things in their store. Usually wheels aren't included, but I'd take a look at a PowerTap wheel as the best bang for your buck. If used properly, a power meter has the capacity to give you more performance gains than an aero wheelset. It won't look as cool, but you'll be able to train and race with power... it's not as entertaining as a Computrainer, but you could do your power intervals and FTP tests on the trainer, and then during races, you know exactly how hard you're working and pace yourself accordingly.

At some point, you can combine it with a disc cover from Wheelbuilder for another $100 and you've got all the speed of the flashiest Zipp or Hed disc for half the price.

Don't discount the aerobars because you're surrounded by hills... a good aero position will save you far more time than virtually anything else: disc wheel, aero helmet, newest aero frame, etc. As Barry mentioned, even a $100 set of clip-ons will set you up nicely on the flats and still give you the confidence of your usual shifting on the hills.

Nice job on the run Kyla! That's a hard course to pace... Your apple cream pie sounds intriguing.

Rob, I'm very glad to hear about your brother. And I'm happy that your new coaching business is keeping you busy!

I hope everyone had a happy turkey day! (or for those up north, at least you got to partake in the shopping deals...)
2010-11-29 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Okay Canadian brothers, a little help please.  All the 2011 IM Canada racers recieved this email over the weekend, and I hear it is causing quite a controversy.    I admit I need to reread my receipt and see if I was charged tax or what the details are, but is it even legal to collect back taxes on a sale?  And when I tried to pull up my registration from Active I was told I am not authorized to view my registration.  WTH?  With this additional tax this race has cost me over $800 just for registration!!! I was wondering if anyone knows anything more.  I hear there is a big discussion on ST about it.  Off to look.

Dear Subaru Ironman Canada Entrant,

As many of you may be aware, effective July 1, 2010 British Columbia moved to a harmonized provincial and federal sales tax at a combined rate of 12%.  This has been a controversial and confusing tax change but it is the law and therefore must be collected on all sale of goods and services.  Unfortunately when your entry to the 2011 Subaru Ironman Canada was processed through Active, HST was not collected on the entry fee.  This has recently been brought to our attention and we are obligated to collect that tax.

To that end, the credit card that you used to enter the race will be charged $69, the amount of the HST on the entry fee.............

2010-11-29 8:53 AM
in reply to: #3228578

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
tahrens - 2010-11-29 8:49 AM Okay Canadian brothers, a little help please.  All the 2011 IM Canada racers recieved this email over the weekend, and I hear it is causing quite a controversy.    I admit I need to reread my receipt and see if I was charged tax or what the details are, but is it even legal to collect back taxes on a sale?  And when I tried to pull up my registration from Active I was told I am not authorized to view my registration.  WTH?  With this additional tax this race has cost me over $800 just for registration!!! I was wondering if anyone knows anything more.  I hear there is a big discussion on ST about it.  Off to look.

As many of you may be aware, effective July 1, 2010 British Columbia moved to a harmonized provincial and federal sales tax at a combined rate of 12%.  This has been a controversial and confusing tax change but it is the law and therefore must be collected on all sale of goods and services.  Unfortunately when your entry to the 2011 Subaru Ironman Canada was processed through Active, HST was not collected on the entry fee.  This has recently been brought to our attention and we are obligated to collect that tax.

To that end, the credit card that you used to enter the race will be charged $69, the amount of the HST on the entry fee.............

Are you really going to let $69 give you a wrinkle?  While post dating sucks, it's miniscule compared to the amount of $$ we drop on triathlon.  Pay it and go train!
2010-11-29 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3228578

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2010-11-29 7:49 AM Okay Canadian brothers, a little help please.  All the 2011 IM Canada racers recieved this email over the weekend, and I hear it is causing quite a controversy.    I admit I need to reread my receipt and see if I was charged tax or what the details are, but is it even legal to collect back taxes on a sale?  And when I tried to pull up my registration from Active I was told I am not authorized to view my registration.  WTH?  With this additional tax this race has cost me over $800 just for registration!!! I was wondering if anyone knows anything more.  I hear there is a big discussion on ST about it.  Off to look.

In the past the province of BC had provincial sales tax(7%) and then we have the national tax - GST(5%).
July 1, it became a harmonized sales tax in BC(12%). So 12% sales tax on everything. 
But, we were only charged the GST(5%). I believe they made an error and are trying to collect the incremental tax now.
Problem is that the $69, is the full 12%. I believe we paid the 5% the first time, therefore we should only be paying the difference. I may be wrong. End of the day, its tax that they did not charge. I would believe active.com was not aware of the change.
In the past, The error has been realized, and now the are trying

2010-11-29 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3228718

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
TrevorC - 2010-11-29 11:07 AM
tahrens - 2010-11-29 7:49 AM Okay Canadian brothers, a little help please.  All the 2011 IM Canada racers recieved this email over the weekend, and I hear it is causing quite a controversy.    I admit I need to reread my receipt and see if I was charged tax or what the details are, but is it even legal to collect back taxes on a sale?  And when I tried to pull up my registration from Active I was told I am not authorized to view my registration.  WTH?  With this additional tax this race has cost me over $800 just for registration!!! I was wondering if anyone knows anything more.  I hear there is a big discussion on ST about it.  Off to look.

In the past the province of BC had provincial sales tax(7%) and then we have the national tax - GST(5%).
July 1, it became a harmonized sales tax in BC(12%). So 12% sales tax on everything. 
But, we were only charged the GST(5%). I believe they made an error and are trying to collect the incremental tax now.
Problem is that the $69, is the full 12%. I believe we paid the 5% the first time, therefore we should only be paying the difference. I may be wrong. End of the day, its tax that they did not charge. I would believe active.com was not aware of the change.

Thanks Trevor, that's the kind of information I was looking for.  And Suzy, it isn't going to stop me - I was just seeking clarification.  Also, when I total things, this in undeniably an expensive registration and something my family needs to consider for future races. 
2010-11-29 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3228718

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
TrevorC - 2010-11-29 11:07 AM

LOL, your explanation is harder to follow than the original message : )
2010-11-29 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3228591

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2010-11-29 9:53 AM
tahrens - 2010-11-29 8:49 AM Okay Canadian brothers, a little help please.  All the 2011 IM Canada racers recieved this email over the weekend, and I hear it is causing quite a controversy.    I admit I need to reread my receipt and see if I was charged tax or what the details are, but is it even legal to collect back taxes on a sale?  And when I tried to pull up my registration from Active I was told I am not authorized to view my registration.  WTH?  With this additional tax this race has cost me over $800 just for registration!!! I was wondering if anyone knows anything more.  I hear there is a big discussion on ST about it.  Off to look.

Are you really going to let $69 give you a wrinkle?  While post dating sucks, it's miniscule compared to the amount of $$ we drop on triathlon.  Pay it and go train!

not sure its about the 69 bucks but more of how they are going about this.  no need to rehash whats in the st thread but i'd be pretty po'd if i was tracy.  rightfully so.   however,  if it was just about the money  69 x 2500 = 172,500.  that change's things, no?

the one think that really amazes me in this and most rants about IM and active is how few people realize mike reilly is one of the founders of the active network and i believe still a vp although i just looked for his linkedin page again and it seems he took it down.  isn't it odd that so many people want to here that "______ you are an ironman" when crossing the line but the same guy is behind so many active.com rants. 
2010-11-29 11:02 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Anyone know a good sports psychology book?

I was listening to a podcast while running over the weekend and it talked about the internal governor we have in our brains that limits how fast we can go.

I have thought for awhile now that mine is set pretty low, I joke that my body has a serious self preservation thing going on and has me shut it down way too soon.

Seems kind of silly but just something I wanted to check out. 

Good cyclists always talk about the ability to shut out the suffering and just keep pedaling, lol I have none of that, my mind always beats my body when it comes to arguing about pain and suffering...

2010-11-29 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3228837

User image

Extreme Veteran
dalessit - 2010-11-29 12:02 PM

I was listening to a podcast while running over the weekend and it talked about the internal governor we have in our brains that limits how fast we can go.

I have thought for awhile now that mine is set pretty low, I joke that my body has a serious self preservation thing going on and has me shut it down way too soon.

Good cyclists always talk about the ability to shut out the suffering and just keep pedaling, lol I have none of that, my mind always beats my body when it comes to arguing about pain and suffering...

x2.  Mind and body are constantly negotiating with one another.  Reading recommendations appreciated.

2010-11-29 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3228837

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
dalessit - 2010-11-29 11:02 AM

HTFU

PM me and I will tell you where to send the check
2010-11-29 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3228591

User image

SSMinnow - 2010-11-29 9:53 AM

I don't think it's the $69 that is bothering most folks  (although there is question about $38 -vs- $69), but rather how the message was delivered.  Poor timing (Fri pm with Mon execution date) and tough wording - kind of in your face.

IMHO...another oops moment/decision.  Kind of reminds me of that special "VIP club" offer a moth or so ago. 
2010-11-29 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3228878

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plainsman AU - 2010-11-29 12:24 PM

HTFU

Do you get paid a fixed fee per word or per letter?

2010-11-29 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3228878

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Plainsman AU - 2010-11-29 11:24 AM

HTFU

Ok... this made me laugh out loud at my desk!  Great reply Barry!  Laughing

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 81