BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2012-04-30 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4181175

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD
Artemis - 2012-04-30 10:49 AM

I'm hoping to be around more this week.   Updates on my life:

1) Baby E is doing a lot better.  Antibiotics are amazing.  She has two more days and then we go back next week to make sure that it is gone.

2) Went for a run yesterday with the baby.  My calf/achilles is REALLY sore.  Like, I had to walk the 1/2 mile back home sore.  No idea what's going on.  It's not low in the ankle like I would expect if I twisted it, but about 4" above the ankle.  I've never had anything like this before.  I'm trying to stretch my calves out - they are definitely tight - but it's really strange.

3) I'm trying to cut back on refined/processed carbs.  Had an asthma attack after eating a bunch of sugar last week, so now I'm wondering if it could be related.  From the research I've done, it looks possible, so we're going to try to eat more brown rice and whole wheat pasta instead of the white stuff.  That's going to be much harder for my husband than me because he loves white rice.  I've already mostly cut out soda (I've had 2 20 oz bottles in the past 3 weeks) and I'm trying to cut out candy.  The candy is going to be a lot harder.

Glad to hear the bebe is better.  It's so hard when our kids are sick!

FWIW I've found rice pasta to be much more palatable than the whole wheat stuff. It has a texture that is much closer to the regular stuff.

2012-04-30 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4181175

User image

Seattle
Artemis - 2012-04-30 11:49 AM

1) Baby E is doing a lot better.  Antibiotics are amazing.  She has two more days and then we go back next week to make sure that it is gone.

2) Went for a run yesterday with the baby.  My calf/achilles is REALLY sore.  Like, I had to walk the 1/2 mile back home sore.  No idea what's going on.  It's not low in the ankle like I would expect if I twisted it, but about 4" above the ankle.  I've never had anything like this before.  I'm trying to stretch my calves out - they are definitely tight - but it's really strange.

3) I'm trying to cut back on refined/processed carbs.  Had an asthma attack after eating a bunch of sugar last week, so now I'm wondering if it could be related.  From the research I've done, it looks possible, so we're going to try to eat more brown rice and whole wheat pasta instead of the white stuff.  That's going to be much harder for my husband than me because he loves white rice.  I've already mostly cut out soda (I've had 2 20 oz bottles in the past 3 weeks) and I'm trying to cut out candy.  The candy is going to be a lot harder.

Hmmmm, you need to be careful with that injury. Especially if it's the Achilles.  I would take some time off from doing anything that makes it flare up and work on doing some functional stretching and icing. 

Here is something you might want to look at: http://www.carletonsportsmed.com/chronic_achilles_tendinitis.htm

In terms of the processed carbs stuff, I think you are definitely on the right track. I made the switch and hardly noticed. Quinoa is always a good one to throw in there in the place of rice, too. You can just try experimenting with some things and see what works. It is very important that you find things that you like because if you don't it's not really sustainable. 

2012-04-30 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4181189

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
rrrunner - 2012-04-30 12:53 PM
Artemis - 2012-04-30 10:49 AM

Glad to hear the bebe is better.  It's so hard when our kids are sick!

FWIW I've found rice pasta to be much more palatable than the whole wheat stuff. It has a texture that is much closer to the regular stuff.

I did gluten free for awhile, and we found that we really did not like the rice pasta.  The corn pasta has the best texture, but I don't think that helps with lowering the glycemic index from regular pasta.  I'll have to look into it.

2012-04-30 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4180414

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Is having weird health issues a requirement for this group?  If so, I want out!

Late last week a weird circular rash appeared in my upper arm.  I think that I first noticed it after swimming on Friday morning.  No biggie, I thought.  But it was still there on Saturday.  And Sunday. It does not itch.  It is not warm to the touch or swollen.  It's just there and it looks weird.

Kevin was out of town on a kayaking trip and I showed it to him last night.  He said that it was weird.  Go see a doctor.

First thing this morning I go to the doctor and he said -- let's treat it as Lyme disease.   (there is no test)

Last week the weather was icky.  I was in long sleeves on my runs.  I wore short sleeved jerseys on my bike rides.  No hikes in the woods or anything like that.

2012-04-30 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4181256

User image

Seattle
jmkizer - 2012-04-30 12:16 PM

Late last week a weird circular rash appeared in my upper arm.  I think that I first noticed it after swimming on Friday morning.  No biggie, I thought.  But it was still there on Saturday.  And Sunday. It does not itch.  It is not warm to the touch or swollen.  It's just there and it looks weird.

Kevin was out of town on a kayaking trip and I showed it to him last night.  He said that it was weird.  Go see a doctor.

First thing this morning I go to the doctor and he said -- let's treat it as Lyme disease.   (there is no test)

Last week the weather was icky.  I was in long sleeves on my runs.  I wore short sleeved jerseys on my bike rides.  No hikes in the woods or anything like that.

Ohhhh sheeesh! Sorry to hear that. Gosh, our Manatees ARE getting beat up! Stay healthy y'all!!!

2012-04-30 12:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
jmkizer - 2012-04-30 1:16 PM

I have a rash that sounds the same. It would appear around the band where my sports bra hits, on the inside of my upper arms and on my back (usually the area covered by sports bra). I finally went to the dermatologist and she diagnosed it as a skin fungus - eewww!!  I got a cream for it which works.  Although now that I am swimming in pools, it barely ever flares up.  You should probably go to a dermatologist and have them take a skin scraping (ew, again) and look at the cells. And don't put lotion on it before you go!  Also, Selsun Blue can help with rashes, if its strictly a skin condition.  Probably TMI for most people reading this post, but hope it helps Janyne!

2012-04-30 12:43 PM
in reply to: #4181307

User image

Seattle
ArielLIlB - 2012-04-30 12:34 PM
jmkizer - 2012-04-30 1:16 PM

I have a rash that sounds the same. It would appear around the band where my sports bra hits, on the inside of my upper arms and on my back (usually the area covered by sports bra). I finally went to the dermatologist and she diagnosed it as a skin fungus - eewww!!  I got a cream for it which works.  Although now that I am swimming in pools, it barely ever flares up.  You should probably go to a dermatologist and have them take a skin scraping (ew, again) and look at the cells. And don't put lotion on it before you go!  Also, Selsun Blue can help with rashes, if its strictly a skin condition.  Probably TMI for most people reading this post, but hope it helps Janyne!

TMI???? Does such a thing exist in a triathlon forum? I think not. Wink

2012-04-30 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4126290

User image

Seattle

Speaking of, I was playing with fire this weekend.

I have been  busy so I hadn't been grocery shopping so my pre-long run meal options were limited. I made a VERY risky decision to go with some Fiber One cereal (and two eggs and sausage.

After 20 miles I still felt great! While it seemed to have worked just fine, I think I just got lucky and will probably not be using this fueling method again. Wink

2012-04-30 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4181345

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Asalzwed - 2012-04-30 11:46 AM

I have been  busy so I hadn't been grocery shopping so my pre-long run meal options were limited. I made a VERY risky decision to go with some Fiber One cereal (and two eggs and sausage.

After 20 miles I still felt great! While it seemed to have worked just fine, I think I just got lucky and will probably not be using this fueling method again. Wink

Wow... that was gutsy! Glad it worked out for you.

2012-04-30 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4181352

User image

Seattle
rrrunner - 2012-04-30 12:49 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-04-30 11:46 AM

Wow... that was gutsy! Glad it worked out for you.

heh heh

2012-04-30 1:28 PM

User image

England
well done Kate. Excellent stuff.

2012-04-30 2:28 PM

User image

Elite

Love all the swim stroke advice - awesome.  I did swim squad last night and a new error occured for Coach Johnny to critique (personally I think he likes to make it all about me!)  He said my hand and elbow are entering the water at the same time...this is new from him so I'm wondering if it's just because I was tired...will ask him to check on Wednesday again...anyway tough session below - hopped out early it's recovery week!

warm up with fins

600m broken up - 100m free, 100m back, 100m breast x2
50m front scull
50m mid scull
50m hip scull
50m fists

Main set no fins

4x250m broken up:
200m free
2x25m underwater off 60sec cycle.  Basically take a breath go deep and swim to the end without coming up. 

I am very proud to say of the 6 in my lane I was the only one who could get to the end.  I did it every time!  Thought my head would explode but just reminded myself if I waqs in the pool messing around with my 7 year old daughter I would be doing this for fun and racing her to the end - made it easy.

The other guys stayed and did 2 more sets plus another set of 2x250 of Left Arm, Right Arm so I was glad I hopped out.

That's 2km done and it felt good to throw the arms over after a big weekend of training and emotion.

Had toast before squad and a huge bowl of pasta after, I am officially all carbed up!

2012-04-30 2:48 PM

User image

Coastal Carolina

Nixed the bike that I had wanted to do as my back tightened up while doing laundry/wasting time on internet and went for a swim instead.  Probably a better decision as I had no pain while swimming hopefully it'll ease up and let me get one last bridge repeat ride in before the charity ride.

Hope everyone has a great week!

2012-04-30 3:51 PM

User image

Master
jmkizer - 2012-04-30 10:16 AM

My first thought when I read your post was ringworm (which is a fungus not a worm!) Is very contagious so may want to look into it...
2012-04-30 5:05 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hopefully the bite is just a spider bite and not a tick/Lymes.  Ugh.  Take care of that!

2012-04-30 6:34 PM
in reply to: #4181886

User image

Elite
bcraht - 2012-04-30 3:51 PM
jmkizer - 2012-04-30 10:16 AM

My first thought when I read your post was ringworm (which is a fungus not a worm!) Is very contagious so may want to look into it...

ditto - ringworm have had it before and it is just a ring of almost dry looking skin, no irritation just ugly!  Very easy to get from dogs and cats - antifungal cream I think was the answer - very contagious!

2012-04-30 6:57 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Just got home.

CONQUERED!!  They said that this year was the worst wind conditions ever 35-50mph.  Wind + hills + weird and stressful training cyle = PR!!!!! 5:40:23 (5:41 as my previous PR on a flat Detroit course in 2006)

2012-04-30 6:59 PM
in reply to: #4182281

User image

Coastal Carolina
jogo - 2012-04-30 7:57 PM

Just got home.

CONQUERED!!  They said that this year was the worst wind conditions ever 35-50mph.  Wind + hills + weird and stressful training cyle = PR!!!!! 5:40:23 (5:41 as my previous PR on a flat Detroit course in 2006)

That's AWESOME CONGRATULATIONS!!! 

2012-04-30 7:30 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
jogo - 2012-04-30 6:57 PM

Just got home.

WOOT!  Congrats on the great race!

2012-04-30 7:33 PM

User image

Elite
jogo - 2012-04-30 6:57 PM

Just got home.

WOOHOO!!!! GO JO GO!

2012-04-30 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice job, Jo! Hooray, PR!!

2012-04-30 8:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Today I had exactly 30 minutes between the end of the work day and an appointment. I could have gone home and shoveled some food in my face, or I could bang out a quick run.  I remembered Salty's advice, and I put on my sneakers to see what I would get.  What I got was a quick 2 mile run at an average 9:10 pace! The air was nice and crisp and I felt great! So happy I hit the pavement

I was scheduled for a bike ride tomorrow, but I"ve been foiled by rain again! And no trainer at my house, so....just an a.m. swim. Trying out a new master group, I"ll let you know how it goes!

2012-04-30 10:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Great job on the bike, Jo! 

Great job on your impromptu run, Brie!

Today the race organizers posted the race results from the X-treme run. It turns out that I was not 3rd out of 4 in my age group, but 3rd out of 9! As for overall, there were 25 racers, and I ranked at 13th of 25! I call that a very successful race! Now I just need to find MORE obstacle races! Too much fun!

Tonight is my rest night, with tomorrow calling for a 30 mile bike--I usually do an OWS with Clint, but my coach did not assign it--it may still happen, I think he is actually starting to enjoy the swim sessions!Smile

2012-04-30 10:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

I had to post an action pic from yesterday's race--Clint earned his keep by taking some photos through the obstacle course section; I'll put the rest of them in my blog...

Edited by kgore 2012-04-30 10:31 PM
2012-04-30 10:37 PM
in reply to: #4181053

User image

Master
Central Kansas

ArielLIlB - 2012-04-30 10:57 AM I'm back from my wine weekend - booo! It was a lot of fun, even though it was FREEZING in Ithaca, NY. Snow flurries on my way in to town, on April 27 - really??  I did give myself a gold star for hitting the gym with my friend on Friday. I did 2 miles on the 'mill and 10 minutes of stairmaster (haven't done that machine in a while!).  Now I'm back home and will resume training, because it's t-minus 14 days til my first tri!

Even with the snow and cold weather, what a great break at a perfect time in your training. I love Ithaca.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  

of 81