BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 62

2013-12-15 12:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?)
thanks for the birthday wishes! It was a busy weekend.

Saturday went to my first gay wedding - too beautiful girls got hitched at a winery - you can imagine how much pretty pink champagne i drank. Their wedding isn't legally recognised yet but it's going to happen.

Sunday had to go watch my daughter's gymnastics display at 9am - that felt good after a day of champagne....

Sunday afternooon napped.

Sunday night Xmas party swim squad. Stalked and met world champ boxer Sam Soliman.

Successful weekend.

In OTHER news

My wound is infected - thanks to the pool i think. I'm on antibiotics. I'm seeing the surgeon this week.

it's still sore - theres a lot of soft tissue and ligament damage not yet looked at because it was all about the break.

Ironman is looking like waiting another year. 2014 will be the year of the marathon.

Edited by jobaxas 2013-12-15 12:44 PM

2013-12-15 7:45 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Has anyone else's BT been screwy these past couple of days?

Thanks to the people signed up for Jantastic, now if only we had someone in the Manatees thats is a dab hand at making lists we could get a clearer picture of who's in and committing to what etc. but, well, my mind has gone blank on that one

Stacey, the requirements for Jantastic are that you commit to run/walk a minimum of one mile, three times a week. I don't see why you couldn't do a JOGO type challenge along side Jantastic. In fact, it would probably be a good idea to do it if you're worried about the run part of the Oly in 7 weeks.

Jen, it does require that you complete 3 r/w a week, so you'll have to stay at where you are at the moment. It doesn't stipulate how fast You have to complete the efforts in though

I'm wondering whether or not to put the Jantastic up on the Challenges forum and see if we can get some other mentor groups to submit some teams so we can get some healthy competition going on. What do you think?

Joe, sorry I missed your bday, glad you had a good time. I was thinking about your fall the other day when I saw on FB that you'd picked up an infection and a thought popped into my head. I hadn't really thought about this at all when starting to ride because it came as 2nd nature after riding a motorcycle for so many years but I think some of your bike handling woes are when you're handling the bike at slow speeds. Am I correct? Well, a thing I do to control a bike when moving at slow speeds is to continue pedalling slowly, but apply the back brake also. If you imagine there's a rope attached at the front of you bike, and one at the rear. When your pedalling whilst putting on the back brake it acts like two forces pulling at each of the ropes in opposite directions and, low and behold, the bike stays upright. Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, and i hope I've explained it clearly enough, but I thought I'd share it to hopefully help in the future.

2 days off tomorrow and still up to my neck in tiles, cisterns and u bends. Oh the joy.

Edited by Richardsdrr 2013-12-15 7:49 PM
2013-12-16 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Has anyone else's BT been screwy these past couple of days? Thanks to the people signed up for Jantastic, now if only we had someone in the Manatees thats is a dab hand at making lists we could get a clearer picture of who's in and committing to what etc. but, well, my mind has gone blank on that one

I can start a document in G+

Stacey, the requirements for Jantastic are that you commit to run/walk a minimum of one mile, three times a week. I don't see why you couldn't do a JOGO type challenge along side Jantastic. In fact, it would probably be a good idea to do it if you're worried about the run part of the Oly in 7 weeks.

Either plan is fine with me.

Jen, it does require that you complete 3 r/w a week, so you'll have to stay at where you are at the moment. It doesn't stipulate how fast You have to complete the efforts in though I'm wondering whether or not to put the Jantastic up on the Challenges forum and see if we can get some other mentor groups to submit some teams so we can get some healthy competition going on. What do you think?

Yeah, in fact I'll probably step down my goals as we get further into the challenge because my event is mid-challenge.

Edited by jmkizer 2013-12-16 8:59 AM
2013-12-16 2:28 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Here is my RACE REPORT

Now, for some time off!!!

2013-12-17 11:55 AM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Has anyone else's BT been screwy these past couple of days? Thanks to the people signed up for Jantastic, now if only we had someone in the Manatees thats is a dab hand at making lists we could get a clearer picture of who's in and committing to what etc. but, well, my mind has gone blank on that one Stacey, the requirements for Jantastic are that you commit to run/walk a minimum of one mile, three times a week. I don't see why you couldn't do a JOGO type challenge along side Jantastic. In fact, it would probably be a good idea to do it if you're worried about the run part of the Oly in 7 weeks. Jen, it does require that you complete 3 r/w a week, so you'll have to stay at where you are at the moment. It doesn't stipulate how fast You have to complete the efforts in though I'm wondering whether or not to put the Jantastic up on the Challenges forum and see if we can get some other mentor groups to submit some teams so we can get some healthy competition going on. What do you think? Joe, sorry I missed your bday, glad you had a good time. I was thinking about your fall the other day when I saw on FB that you'd picked up an infection and a thought popped into my head. I hadn't really thought about this at all when starting to ride because it came as 2nd nature after riding a motorcycle for so many years but I think some of your bike handling woes are when you're handling the bike at slow speeds. Am I correct? Well, a thing I do to control a bike when moving at slow speeds is to continue pedalling slowly, but apply the back brake also. If you imagine there's a rope attached at the front of you bike, and one at the rear. When your pedalling whilst putting on the back brake it acts like two forces pulling at each of the ropes in opposite directions and, low and behold, the bike stays upright. Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, and i hope I've explained it clearly enough, but I thought I'd share it to hopefully help in the future. 2 days off tomorrow and still up to my neck in tiles, cisterns and u bends. Oh the joy.

Sorry I can't do your challenge, Darren. I am attempting to "lose my mojo" at the moment. 

I also saw your suggestion to do that trails series. I am VERY familiar with it as I work some of their events with PowerBar and also run those trails every now and again.

The specific one you suggested is just a little too close to Boston and per my experience, I need until at least June until I can lay down any sort of solid time. Boston really kills the legs. But I am thinking of incorporating some trail HMs (or maybe 10Ks?) into my plan. Not sure exactly how I'm going to do that yet though.

I got to ride with one of our teams professional runners who is a US mountain running champion. I didn't even really know the term "mountain running." 

A cool article about him and mountain running

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-12-17 11:56 AM
2013-12-17 12:04 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Wow. So much manateeness to catch up on! Sorry guys. Busy busy days lately. And now I've got a run to get in before somebody's naptime.

Here's some Tuesday morning cheer I'll read news while I'm baking this afternoon. Hope everyone is doing well as we head into the 7-day countdown!

(20131214_162411.jpg)

(20131214_155128.jpg)

(20131215_093158.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20131214_162411.jpg (80KB - 5 downloads)
20131214_155128.jpg (73KB - 2 downloads)
20131215_093158.jpg (75KB - 2 downloads)

2013-12-17 5:52 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Wow. So much manateeness to catch up on! Sorry guys. Busy busy days lately. And now I've got a run to get in before somebody's naptime.

Here's some Tuesday morning cheer I'll read news while I'm baking this afternoon. Hope everyone is doing well as we head into the 7-day countdown!

Erin I love your little girls new wheels they are great. Give her a birthday hug for us.
2013-12-17 9:47 PM

User image

Master

Ok...I think I mostly caught up on a few days.

First off- GOOOOOO, already raced Manatees! (geez, I was super out of touch)

Jen- awesome bday pic of E. Ray of sunshine! Yay for settling into your new job

Kate- I hope meds work out

Jo- happy belated bday. Bummer about your infection. Blech

Slack-lining? Someday soon. T could do it now, but Mak would insist on trying it alone. Some friends in KS have one... however, I don't think we'll be checking it out this trip in sub-20 degree weather.

Singing? So fun! This time of year really makes me miss The Messiah...sang as the Christmas program with my HS choir 10+ times. Hate solos. As an alto I love finding harmonies.

Present shopping? Trying. I have some kids stuff done and photo albums for aunts/uncles sent. Two-day drive to Kansas this weekend makes things tight since DH doesn't want to haul much there. Plus Mak's bday is this Friday. Sheesh.

Jantastic? Is time up? I'll check Super scheduled with my training runs. Could work nicely.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2013-12-17 10:53 PM
2013-12-17 11:31 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Erin I love your little girls new wheels they are great. Give her a birthday hug for us.
Haha ...oh, she loves them too! It's her first bike of any sort...she measured for a 16" at 3yo. Eeek! Now we have bets on how soon the training wheels will come off. Lol. Hugs will be delivered :D
2013-12-18 9:46 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Pennsylvania

Erin - happy belated birthday to your little girl and happy early birthday to Mak!

Is anyone else's weather about to do some crazy things?  Today (and the past few days) it's been very cold, like 21*F (-6*C) during the day and colder at night.  Each day it is supposed to get warmer and by Sunday it is supposed to be 69*F (20*C) and by Tuesday be back down in a more normal range of 35*F (1*C).  W.T.F.?!?!  Normally I'd be stoked about such warm weather but it will surely wreak havoc with folks' bodies and cause sniffles/colds.

Man, even the crickets are asleep in manatee land!

2013-12-18 11:11 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

We're supposed to be in the 80's this weekend. Then back to normal next week.

2013-12-18 1:13 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

The weather is mostly what it should be given the month.   But I live in a volatile weather zone. The warm moist air from the south fights with the cold dry air from the north for territory.    Weather people are beginning to talk of tornado weather for this weekend.    Just in time for the wedding of one of my  nieces.  

Today is nice and sunny with a high of 50F.   Tomorrow's forecast 62 and partly sunny.   I'm planning to do a long ride that this weather window is providing.   70+ miles.   If I feel good after 70 miles I might stretch it to a century.   I don't think I will get another opportunity to do so before next spring.  

2013-12-18 2:39 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

We've been archived. 

It looks like a new round of mentor groups is in the works.

2013-12-18 5:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizer

We've been archived. 

That would be about right wouldn't it. A new round for a new year. I think it was the new year on last year when I joined the pod - it kinda feels like forever ago and yesterday at the same time, does that make any sense?
2013-12-19 6:36 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

We've been archived. 

So, what are we going to do?

2013-12-19 6:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by cdban66

We've been archived. 

Not sure. I know Yanti is having a great deal of problem getting onto BT at the moment according to FB.

Maybe we can just keep hanging out in archiving until we work it out.

Edited by StaceyK 2013-12-19 6:39 AM

2013-12-19 6:59 AM

User image

Melon Presser

We've been archived. 

Not sure. I know Yanti is having a great deal of problem getting onto BT at the moment according to FB. Maybe we can just keep hanging out in archiving until we work it out.

Well, according to how my arms LOOK, I must be a not-so-recovering IV drug user ... how're your stings healing up? I love the crusty stage!

We are the Manatee Mentals ... err, Mentors, I'm Asian, sorry I get that mixed up a lot. Anyway, plural. So it's a group decision. I'd like to open up for some new Manatees; hence, a new thread. However, I've noticed every year that the post-New Year's newbies (whether to tri and/or BT) miss out on most of the open/active groups ... I'd like to wait until after New Year's. For me, personally, and I imagine many of the Manatees, it's also a much more manageable time.

But I'm okay with whatever. I'd love this group to continue, or as many of the Manatees as would like to, and open the doors but not the floodgates for some new podmates.

2013-12-19 8:28 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I have had both good and bad mentor group experiences. I found the groups late and ended up in one that was less then stellar. So, having said that, I would say that starting later might be beneficial for some folks that might otherwise not get the opportunity. Our group seems to be more about support and relationship then solely triathlon racing, so I feel we have a niche that we are filling in that regard. Of course, I have learned a ton of stuff from ya'll as well, so there seems to be a bit of everything going on in here.

2013-12-19 12:17 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I'm BACK! Didja miss me?

Looks like I missed some races, some birthdays and the end of our little 2013 group!

So happy belated birthdays and hope your races went well (I'll be watching for race reports)!

Can we still use this thread or is that "frowned upon?" I love the google group too!
2013-12-19 1:21 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by TriAya

We've been archived. 

Not sure. I know Yanti is having a great deal of problem getting onto BT at the moment according to FB. Maybe we can just keep hanging out in archiving until we work it out.

Well, according to how my arms LOOK, I must be a not-so-recovering IV drug user ... how're your stings healing up? I love the crusty stage!

We are the Manatee Mentals ... err, Mentors, I'm Asian, sorry I get that mixed up a lot. Anyway, plural. So it's a group decision. I'd like to open up for some new Manatees; hence, a new thread. However, I've noticed every year that the post-New Year's newbies (whether to tri and/or BT) miss out on most of the open/active groups ... I'd like to wait until after New Year's. For me, personally, and I imagine many of the Manatees, it's also a much more manageable time.

But I'm okay with whatever. I'd love this group to continue, or as many of the Manatees as would like to, and open the doors but not the floodgates for some new podmates.

(1) I want to continue to be a Manatee

(2) I think January 2 would be a good opening time.  I would like to get new active members.    Right now we have about 50% inactive members and that makes me sad. 

(3) I really do think that the logging component is important.

(4) Does the January 2 timeframe work with Jantastic?  (Just checked, rules state that it starts January 6 so we are good.)

2013-12-19 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

We've been archived. 

(2) I think January 2 would be a good opening time.  I would like to get new active members.    Right now we have about 50% inactive members and that makes me sad. 

(4) Does the January 2 timeframe work with Jantastic?  (Just checked, rules state that it starts January 6 so we are good.)

I haven't replied yet on Jantastic, but I am going to not be involved this go round, I think. I have a bunch of stuff running around in the empty hat rack that I call a brain right now and I have to get them all settled before jumping into something.

As for Janyne's other statements above, I agree!

Edited by cdban66 2013-12-19 2:35 PM

2013-12-19 3:17 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I'm BACK! Didja miss me? Looks like I missed some races, some birthdays and the end of our little 2013 group! So happy belated birthdays and hope your races went well (I'll be watching for race reports)! Can we still use this thread or is that "frowned upon?" I love the google group too!

Randee - Of course we missed you, welcome back!

I echo Janyne's sentiments - I'd love to continue to be a manatee.  I check in (usually) daily and although I may not post as much as others (a little bit of my introverted side peeking through), I still feel very much a part of the group and comraderie.  It is fun when we have a good amount of contributing members, and I hope those that fell by the way side did so just because of natural attrition and not because they felt excluded or like outsiders.  I think we are a very warm, welcoming, inclusive group!  And yes, January sounds like a good starting time because things are so chopped up and busy with the holidays.

I guess I need to do better about checking in with the Google group...

2013-12-19 5:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

We've been archived. 

Yay Yanti you managed to log in.

My stings are good they have gotten much much better in the last 24 hours. I obeyed your instructions not to pop the blisters so no sores and I also ditched the antibacterial cream and started using pawpaw cream and it has cleared them up really well. They are still a little itchy but I no longer have bright red welts that cover most of my back. One lady at the pool this morning even commented that they look HEAPS better than they did on Monday.

By the way I got my Sheila stuff and I am loving it!!! I did just the first part of the first workout this morning because I only had about 30 minutes. Even cruising I was consistently about 5 seconds faster over 50m than I was last week! YAY, but now the pool is closed next week BOOOOO.
2013-12-19 6:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

We've been archived. 

I agree with Everyone about opening up for some new members and I think after New Years is a good time but only on the proviso that we get to hang out in archiving until then because I can't go 2 weeks without my morning manatee fix.

I'm not so good at other forums like FB and the Google group (I don't even know where to find that) partly because of the time difference and partly because work is too busy to keep up with more than one group. Speaking of which gotta go I'm gonna be late again!
2013-12-19 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  

of 62

RELATED POSTS

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : September 20, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Snapping hip syndrome is a condition described by a snapping sensation felt when the hip is flexed and extended. It is often also treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : May 29, 2012
I recently just ran a 5 mile race, and in the last 100 meters I was sprinting to pass someone and I felt a "pop" in my left arch. Could I have strained it? What is your advice for healing?
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.