BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-22 2:39 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by laffinrock

Interesting article about some research going on here at the university where I work.  One of our civil engineering professors is looking at why cyclists break traffic laws and whether it has to do with how our transportation systems are set up.  He's also interested in why cyclists are considered more criminal than people who speed in their cars.

I feel a lot of the why they break the law part is addressed is his quote, "If you're sitting at a red light and you're waiting at a queue with a bunch of cars and there's no cross traffic, it does feel safer to get ahead of those cars and establish myself in the lane as opposed to trying to compete with them," 

And then of course there are the types that just think they are above the law and critical mass groups that go out of their way to be cyclist-jerks.

I also think there is a huge us vs them piece and sadly I think the attitude of A LOT of cyclists don't really help the relationship. Not to mention car drivers who have not taken a moment to try and put themselves in the shoes of the cyclists. 

I don't know about the cycling communities in your cities but I think the general feeling about them around here is that cyclist are pretentious aholes. 

Why thank you.

No that is not the case here in Raleigh.  Certainly there are some but I don't appreciate being thrown into that group. 

It's an engineering problem and an attitude problem CYCLISTS and PEDESTRIANS (including runners) ARE TRAFFIC.  Plain and simple.  If the light will not turn for me no matter how long I stand there with my bike, whose fault is that?  If I contact the local authorities and mention the problem (nicely), and I am told to "act like a pedestrian," is that an acceptable solution?  If the light won't turn for a car, would the problem be corrected? 

(edited to correct typos)

I'm not saying that I am on board with any of the above. That is just the way people feel. 

More than anything, as you say, it is the grey area about when to act like a pedestrian and when to act like a vehicle while you are neither.

But the misunderstanding between cars/peds/cyclinst perpetuates the battle.

2015-01-22 2:42 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Interesting article about some research going on here at the university where I work.  One of our civil engineering professors is looking at why cyclists break traffic laws and whether it has to do with how our transportation systems are set up.  He's also interested in why cyclists are considered more criminal than people who speed in their cars.

I feel a lot of the why they break the law part is addressed is his quote, "If you're sitting at a red light and you're waiting at a queue with a bunch of cars and there's no cross traffic, it does feel safer to get ahead of those cars and establish myself in the lane as opposed to trying to compete with them," 

And then of course there are the types that just think they are above the law and critical mass groups that go out of their way to be cyclist-jerks.

I also think there is a huge us vs them piece and sadly I think the attitude of A LOT of cyclists don't really help the relationship. Not to mention car drivers who have not taken a moment to try and put themselves in the shoes of the cyclists. 

I don't know about the cycling communities in your cities but I think the general feeling about them around here is that cyclist are pretentious aholes. 

A few items struck me, one being that I felt there were a few assumptions made at the beginning, or at least I didn't understand them very well.  "People that are doing that type of behaviour aren't doing it in a car," said Marshall. My question is, which behavior is that? Running red lights. Or disobeying the traffic laws? Another was this: "If you see people ahead of you breaking the law, you're more likely to go along with them," he said. Is that cyclists? Or humans? 

I get that the article is quite small in regards to his research, so it doesn't concern me much at all, I trust he is being scientific in his approach.  But there are a number of simple steps that "we" the cycling community can take that would help eliminate the ahole perception that is out there. It starts with each of us as individuals first. As someone said, "Be the change you want to see in the world".

2015-01-22 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Why thank you.

No that is not the case here in Raleigh.  Certainly there are some but I don't appreciate being thrown into that group. 

It's an engineering problem and an attitude problem CYCLISTS and PEDESTRIANS (including runners) ARE TRAFFIC.  Plain and simple.  If the light will not turn for me no matter how long I stand there with my bike, whose fault is that?  If I contact the local authorities and mention the problem (nicely), and I am told to "act like a pedestrian," is that an acceptable solution?  If the light won't turn for a car, would the problem be corrected? 

I am not familiar with the NC laws, but that answer would concern me. FL bike law reads something along the lines of:

In Florida the bicycle is legally defined as a vehicle and the bicyclist is a driver. Bicyclists have the same rights to the roadways, and must obey the same traffic laws as the drivers of other vehicles. These laws include stopping for stop signs and red lights, riding with the flow of traffic, using lights at night, yielding the right-of-way when entering a roadway and yielding to pedestrians in crosswalks. I think it would be quite enlightening for many automotive drivers and bicycle drivers as well to be tested on the laws that affect them.

2015-01-22 2:51 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Why thank you.

I am not familiar with the NC laws, but that answer would concern me. FL bike law reads something along the lines of:

In Florida the bicycle is legally defined as a vehicle and the bicyclist is a driver. Bicyclists have the same rights to the roadways, and must obey the same traffic laws as the drivers of other vehicles. These laws include stopping for stop signs and red lights, riding with the flow of traffic, using lights at night, yielding the right-of-way when entering a roadway and yielding to pedestrians in crosswalks. I think it would be quite enlightening for many automotive drivers and bicycle drivers as well to be tested on the laws that affect them.

In NC, bicycles are vehicles and are expected to follow the same laws as cars/motorcycles.  Cyclists are to use roads and not sidewalks and ride with the flow of traffic.

2015-01-22 2:53 PM

User image

Seattle

As for the lights not turning, it happens with motorcycles and even Car2Go (car sharing service that uses smart cars) one solution I have found in the community is a device you put on your bike/car/moto that disrupts the magnetic fields (which a big metal hunk of car does on it's own) of course it's not the solution for all lights as some of them use different technology. 

2015-01-22 2:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

DP

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-01-22 2:54 PM

2015-01-22 2:59 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

As for the lights not turning, it happens with motorcycles and even Car2Go (car sharing service that uses smart cars) one solution I have found in the community is a device you put on your bike/car/moto that disrupts the magnetic fields (which a big metal hunk of car does on it's own) of course it's not the solution for all lights as some of them use different technology. 

Interesting. I'll have to look in to that. I'm sure DH and DS2 would like it on their motorcycles as well.

2015-01-22 2:59 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Why thank you.

In NC, bicycles are vehicles and are expected to follow the same laws as cars/motorcycles.  Cyclists are to use roads and not sidewalks and ride with the flow of traffic.

As such, the call that you made when you were told to act like a pedestrian was maybe the result of someone on the other end not being fully informed. Or whatever the issue may have been, you were given incorrect information. And this is the sort of thing that fries my ham. If you didn't know better, you would be riding your bike on the sidewalk, "like a pedestrian". And that is not correct in the eyes of Johnny Law either.

The whole thing is a rabbit hole of fun that I could climb down for days. Or weeks. And I don't know what the total answer is, I'd be surprised if anyone does. But I do know that if we continue to have meaningful dialog with people on both sides, then we can make progress.

2015-01-22 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

We've started migrating to cameras.

2015-01-22 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

That was an example of traffic engineering not working for all traffic.  A lot of it really is an engineering problem. If the design worked well and took all traffic into consideration, then it would be reasonable to expect better compliance. 

Another example is the "super streets" concept. If you are a cyclist, you typically have to cross two lanes of traffic to make a U-turn (instead of going straight across).  This isn't good design.  If you are a pedestrian, you are SOL.  There is no crosswalk at most of the "intersections."  Faster for cars, more dangerous for everyone else.

2015-01-22 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Cameras were "too expensive" for this particular intersection.  I mean, it's not like it was at the intersection of NC bike routes or anything.  Wait, it is the intersection of two NC bike routes (US Bike Route 1/Carolina Connector and NC Bike Route 5/Cape Fear Run).

2015-01-22 3:07 PM

User image

Seattle

yeah, and that is the one that doesn't catch bicycles necessarily. Some of them do, though.

2015-01-22 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I googled it and will have to look at what types of sensors we have. I know there is one light near home that I can trigger on my bike. I'll have to see how it, and the others, are equipped.

2015-01-22 3:10 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

I googled it and will have to look at what types of sensors we have. I know there is one light near home that I can trigger on my bike. I'll have to see how it, and the others, are equipped.

We've installed these bike counters on some of the bigger cycling thoroughfares and as a run commuter I can't tell you how many times I jumped as hard as I could over the sensor so I could get counted. Turns out they use magnets too  haha

2015-01-22 3:37 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Happy Battle of Rorke's Drift day fellow Manatees.

Thanks!  You too! Do you watch the movie Zulu all day long to celebrate? 

Apologies for the lack of consolidation among my posts - who knew I'd have so much to say on a rainy morning. 

Buuuut.....  I LOVE THAT MOVIE and think about it fairly frequently, even having not seen it in a few years.  Badazzes all around in that one...  Much to learn from it, good and bad.

Makes me glad that my battles are around how to help patients, be an ever better dad/"Other Half", with myself to push harder during training and racing, etc.  Very lucky, indeed!

Matt

I was lucky enough to be part of a group of people to go to Isandlwhana and Rorkes Drift to commemorate 120 years of the battle. We got to stay in the school house and marched ti Isandlwhana the following day to be met by the Zulu king and xx thousand Zulus. It was quite awe inspiring. I will never forget the wave of sound you feel when you hear that many Zulus singing their war songs. Chilled to the bone just thinking what those men must have been feeling when they heard it.

Wow, that must have been an amazing experience!  Hopefully the meeting with the Zulus was a chance for some reconciliation as well.  Sounds like a pretty horrific conflict for both sides.  I honestly hadn't heard of it until today.  Shows you my ignorance of South African and British history!

I'm going to Louisiana in a couple of weeks.  I sing in a choir that performs Negro spirituals, which served as a way for slaves to communicate among themselves using biblical references without the masters knowing what they were talking about.  Songs like "Wade in the Water" were used to instruct runaway slaves to walk in the water to hide their scent from the bloodhounds tracking them.  We'll be performing at Whitney Plantation near Baton Rouge.  Whitney has been restored and augmented to focus primarily on the psychological and physical impacts of those who were enslaved.  I anticipate that's going to be a pretty powerful and emotional day.

That will be a very moving trip in many ways.  Have you read Twelve Years a Slave?  It was a very eye-opening book for me.  And yeah, now I need to go read up on Rorkes Drift, too!

I had to look up Zulu because the only cinematic reference I had was Shaka Zulu. Sounds like a very interesting story. Netflix?
2015-01-22 4:14 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Yes, it was an interesting article and makes you think about what really can be done to improve bicycle safety and driver perception of cycling behavior.  I leave in a small city where cycling for commuting and recreation is huge.  There is a downhill section through the downtown area that is three lanes and one way.  Every day I see folks weaving in and out of cars, running red lights, drafting inches off bumpers, passing on the right of cars signalling to turn right, etc.  It creates a dangerous situation for all involved.  I've seen at least half a dozen crashes.  One guy passed me on the right, turned his head to see if he was going to clear me, veered into the curb, and went cartwheeling down the sidewalk.  Couple days later I had a skateboarder splatter into the back of my car while I was waiting for a light.  Doh!!

While some obey the traffic laws, the majority do not.  Probably many different reasons why but I imagine mostly trying to just get from point A to point B as quickly as possible and not thinking about some of the short and long term consequences whether it is crashing or turning the driving world against them in general.

I think this from the article sends the wrong message.  I had a friend who was a very experienced cyclist killed several years ago rolling through a stop sign.

"According to Marshall, some states in the U.S. have created special laws as a result — in Idaho cyclists only need to slow down at stop signs, not come to a full stop, and cyclists can treat red lights as though they were stop signs."

2015-01-22 5:32 PM

User image

Master

All of this cyclist law talk makes me think I should read up on Az. I just always consider myself a very fragile car when I'm riding...you know, slower traffic keep right. I assume that drivers don't see me and try to make eye contact with anyone beside me at stops.  J is more aggressive with his road riding decisions and I sometimes have a hard time sticking with him when he crosses roads/lights. Luckily, most of our riding is away from city/town and we don't have many stops/lights to deal with. IMAZ training near Tempe was painful with all the stops and J's impatience, "Killing my average!" lol

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-01-22 6:22 PM
2015-01-22 5:39 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Seattle

Monica. Kirsten. 

2015-01-22 5:45 PM

User image

Master

Monica. Kirsten. 

RIGHT?

2015-01-22 6:03 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by IronOx

Monica. Kirsten. 

RIGHT?

Melanie, I'm thinking new team uniforms for the Widows.  All you need to do is change the logo and maybe the colors.

ETA:  She even has a goalie stick!!

Edited by laffinrock 2015-01-22 6:03 PM
2015-01-22 6:08 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master

Monica. Kirsten. 

RIGHT?

Melanie, I'm thinking new team uniforms for the Widows.  All you need to do is change the logo and maybe the colors.

Ummmm...and the footwear? Unless you want to start an offshoot sport.

2015-01-22 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by StaceyK Thanks for your help guys. I wasn't sure if the 10 speed v 11 speed was a big deal. We live in the hills, but to be honest most of my riding is on the trainer at the moment because there has been a number of cyclist v car incidents hear over the recent months which have resulted in at least 3 deaths and a number of other very serious injuries so Phil has confined me to the trainer or the bike paths. I have definitely learnt the lesson of making sure the bike is comfortable before I buy it, that's the only reason I'm looking at a new bike, my current on is defiantly not warn out. Just to clarify the 2015 comes in a medium too, just not on the link I sent through.

From what I have read, the difference in the 11 and 10 speed cassette will probably be around "3rd" or "4th" gear, with the 22 tooth cog on the 10 speed being replaced by a 21 AND a 23 on the 11 speed. It could be elsewhere on the cassette or some other number of cogs, but you get the idea I hope. For me, there is "no" need for it, since my riding is all flat, with little shifting.  Were I riding a lot of hills or windy areas, I might want it.  

Then again, I'm rolling on a 9 speed cassette, so what do I know?

Cool deal on the sizing, I hope that you find one that makes you happy to ride!

[NOTE: the size of the bike in this case matters more than anything else.]

I'm riding a 9 speed rear cassette also.  I would really love a 10 or 11 speed.  For me, it's all RPM management.  My bike has a 10 RPM gap between the 4th and 5th gears.  I wish there was something in the middle that would help me manage the speed a bit better.  I spin on the higher side, and sometimes I want to go faster, but shifting up drops me out of where I am efficient.  So having another gear or two in the mix, even if the top and bottom didn't change, would help me manage my speed and power better.  It's not just on hills.  Most of all this is clearest to me on the trainer when I'm doing TrainerRoad workouts, and I'm moving around by 5 or 10 watts.  More gears would keep me in my happy spinning zone better.

I would love 11, but 10 would be fine.

2015-01-22 7:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by StaceyK Thanks for your help guys. I wasn't sure if the 10 speed v 11 speed was a big deal. We live in the hills, but to be honest most of my riding is on the trainer at the moment because there has been a number of cyclist v car incidents hear over the recent months which have resulted in at least 3 deaths and a number of other very serious injuries so Phil has confined me to the trainer or the bike paths. I have definitely learnt the lesson of making sure the bike is comfortable before I buy it, that's the only reason I'm looking at a new bike, my current on is defiantly not warn out. Just to clarify the 2015 comes in a medium too, just not on the link I sent through.

The bikes are specced so similarly that I would get the one that had the better color scheme or matched my kit better.

What's the fastest color?

Of all people, you KNOW this is a legitimate question.  Look for neon.

2015-01-22 8:23 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Monica. Kirsten. 

RIGHT?

Ummmm...and the footwear? Unless you want to start an offshoot sport.

Perhaps that is why the score is so high, she has the goalie stick. Also, is it me or would those skates be a complete pain in the but to lace up.
2015-01-22 8:32 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ponderingfox

From what I have read, the difference in the 11 and 10 speed cassette will probably be around "3rd" or "4th" gear, with the 22 tooth cog on the 10 speed being replaced by a 21 AND a 23 on the 11 speed. It could be elsewhere on the cassette or some other number of cogs, but you get the idea I hope. For me, there is "no" need for it, since my riding is all flat, with little shifting.  Were I riding a lot of hills or windy areas, I might want it.  

Then again, I'm rolling on a 9 speed cassette, so what do I know?

Cool deal on the sizing, I hope that you find one that makes you happy to ride!

[NOTE: the size of the bike in this case matters more than anything else.]

I'm riding a 9 speed rear cassette also.  I would really love a 10 or 11 speed.  For me, it's all RPM management.  My bike has a 10 RPM gap between the 4th and 5th gears.  I wish there was something in the middle that would help me manage the speed a bit better.  I spin on the higher side, and sometimes I want to go faster, but shifting up drops me out of where I am efficient.  So having another gear or two in the mix, even if the top and bottom didn't change, would help me manage my speed and power better.  It's not just on hills.  Most of all this is clearest to me on the trainer when I'm doing TrainerRoad workouts, and I'm moving around by 5 or 10 watts.  More gears would keep me in my happy spinning zone better.

I would love 11, but 10 would be fine.

Yeah the big gaps like that can bother me too. Not so much on the easier rides as I'm not as particular there, but I really notice when trying to go faster. I much prefer the 11-23 when racing vs the 11-28. There is a 15-17 jump that happens around the lower 20's for me and I really notice it. I *can* spin at a fairly wide cadence, but still have my preference for what is best. It's a race, so we want everything optimized as much as possible.

The trainer has an 11-21 to keep it really tight. This adds in an 18 that the 11-23 doesn't have, and for easier rides I can be in this gear a lot. I never used the lowest gears there, so tightened things up. Although I may rethink some things if I want to push some really fast cadences at times. Power can come up quite a bit for the fastest spins even in the lowest gear.

Edited by brigby1 2015-01-22 8:33 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55470 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.