BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 62

2013-12-20 7:05 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?)

A little something from the Dalai Lama to start the weekend:

"Not only is your own happiness and welfare related to others, but the more you help them, the happier you will be."

Enjoy the rest of the week!

2013-12-20 8:35 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by TriAya

Originally posted by cdban66

We've been archived. 

It looks like a new round of mentor groups is in the works.

So, what are we going to do?

Not sure. I know Yanti is having a great deal of problem getting onto BT at the moment according to FB. Maybe we can just keep hanging out in archiving until we work it out.

Well, according to how my arms LOOK, I must be a not-so-recovering IV drug user ... how're your stings healing up? I love the crusty stage!

We are the Manatee Mentals ... err, Mentors, I'm Asian, sorry I get that mixed up a lot. Anyway, plural. So it's a group decision. I'd like to open up for some new Manatees; hence, a new thread. However, I've noticed every year that the post-New Year's newbies (whether to tri and/or BT) miss out on most of the open/active groups ... I'd like to wait until after New Year's. For me, personally, and I imagine many of the Manatees, it's also a much more manageable time.

But I'm okay with whatever. I'd love this group to continue, or as many of the Manatees as would like to, and open the doors but not the floodgates for some new podmates.

(1) I want to continue to be a Manatee

(2) I think January 2 would be a good opening time.  I would like to get new active members.    Right now we have about 50% inactive members and that makes me sad. 

(3) I really do think that the logging component is important.

(4) Does the January 2 timeframe work with Jantastic?  (Just checked, rules state that it starts January 6 so we are good.)

I agree with Everyone about opening up for some new members and I think after New Years is a good time but only on the proviso that we get to hang out in archiving until then because I can't go 2 weeks without my morning manatee fix. I'm not so good at other forums like FB and the Google group (I don't even know where to find that) partly because of the time difference and partly because work is too busy to keep up with more than one group. Speaking of which gotta go I'm gonna be late again!

Stacey, you have a great excuse to not follow the Google group -- you aren't in it yet!  I sent you some info.

Many of the Manatees are set up as moderators of a private Google community for Manatee stuff.  Current members are: Chris, Darren, Monica, Salty, Ann-Marie, Yanti, Chad, Jennifer, Kirsten, Melanie, Randee and me.  If you are not listed and have a gmail account, send it to me, Chris, Darren, or Monica and we'll add you.

I think that we can hang out here but be aware that it looks like email notifications were turned off when we were archived.

2013-12-20 8:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

We've been archived. 

It looks like a new round of mentor groups is in the works.

So, what are we going to do?

Not sure. I know Yanti is having a great deal of problem getting onto BT at the moment according to FB. Maybe we can just keep hanging out in archiving until we work it out.

Well, according to how my arms LOOK, I must be a not-so-recovering IV drug user ... how're your stings healing up? I love the crusty stage!

We are the Manatee Mentals ... err, Mentors, I'm Asian, sorry I get that mixed up a lot. Anyway, plural. So it's a group decision. I'd like to open up for some new Manatees; hence, a new thread. However, I've noticed every year that the post-New Year's newbies (whether to tri and/or BT) miss out on most of the open/active groups ... I'd like to wait until after New Year's. For me, personally, and I imagine many of the Manatees, it's also a much more manageable time.

But I'm okay with whatever. I'd love this group to continue, or as many of the Manatees as would like to, and open the doors but not the floodgates for some new podmates.

(1) I want to continue to be a Manatee

(2) I think January 2 would be a good opening time.  I would like to get new active members.    Right now we have about 50% inactive members and that makes me sad. 

(3) I really do think that the logging component is important.

(4) Does the January 2 timeframe work with Jantastic?  (Just checked, rules state that it starts January 6 so we are good.)

First, I don't know what happened, but I was not getting notifications when there were posts here ; thought everyone was really, really quiet! Glad I came looking!!

second! I agree with everything Janyne said ( like usual).

and lastly , it is the first day of winter and we are in the 80s!>p>ETA: just saw Janyne's post about notifications being turned off because we were archived, so I guess now I know what happened!

Edited by amd723 2013-12-20 8:54 AM

2013-12-20 8:50 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by mtnbikerchkI'm BACK! Didja miss me?Looks like I missed some races, some birthdays and the end of our little 2013 group!So happy belated birthdays and hope your races went well (I'll be watching for race reports)!Can we still use this thread or is that "frowned upon?" I love the google group too!
Did you test ride bikes?
2013-12-20 8:55 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando
I know a lot of manatees love cats, so you should enjoy this video. Non cat lovers should like it too. http://gawker.com/woman-learns-invaluable-lesson-about-not-picking-...
2013-12-20 9:15 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

December 21-22
Yanti - Bali Aqua Stars Aquathlon on Saturday

Disabled list:
Melanie - strained hamstring
Chris - under the weather

December 25 is Janyne's birthday

Stay tuned for an upcoming challege to help you find your mojo! < Jantastic and perhaps something else

Manatee Business:  We've been archived.  Keep a lookout for the new Manatee group in early January!

Jantastic Sign Up Information
Go to http://www.jantastic.me/Register on there and when it gets to choose/create team just search through for the Mad Manatees under M.

2013-12-20 9:27 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Melon Presser

The fantastic NyNy, thank you again for the good report!

GO ME!

Yeah, my new Iron training plan--race on weekends, stuff my face in between.

Big warm healing {MELON PRESS} for Melbo and Dub6.

2013-12-20 9:32 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by mtnbikerchkI'm BACK! Didja miss me?Looks like I missed some races, some birthdays and the end of our little 2013 group!So happy belated birthdays and hope your races went well (I'll be watching for race reports)!Can we still use this thread or is that "frowned upon?" I love the google group too!
Did you test ride bikes?

NO My flight was cancelled on Sunday so we lost a DAY. Then we left on Wednesday so I didn't have time. I do think I've made a decision though......I just need to pull the trigger

TGIF ALL!!

GO YANTI!!!!! Nothing like getting back on the horse, so to speak, eh? Jumping in with both feet!!
2013-12-20 9:37 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

GO YANTI, you racing MACHINE!!  SWIM, SWIM, SWIM!  Oh, and run.

2013-12-20 9:38 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Did you test ride bikes?
NO My flight was cancelled on Sunday so we lost a DAY. Then we left on Wednesday so I didn't have time. I do think I've made a decision though......I just need to pull the trigger TGIF ALL!! GO YANTI!!!!! Nothing like getting back on the horse, so to speak, eh? Jumping in with both feet!!

So exciting, a new bike!  Decide, already, then DOOOO EEEEIIITTTT!!!   And post pics for us.

2013-12-20 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!

December 21-22
Yanti - Bali Aqua Stars Aquathlon on Saturday

Disabled list:
Melanie - strained hamstring
Chris - under the weather

December 25 is Janyne's birthday

Stay tuned for an upcoming challege to help you find your mojo! < Jantastic and perhaps something else

Manatee Business:  We've been archived.  Keep a lookout for the new Manatee group in early January!

Jantastic Sign Up Information
Go to http://www.jantastic.me/Register on there and when it gets to choose/create team just search through for the Mad Manatees under M.

Go Yanti!!

Happy b-day Janyne!!!

heal up manatees!

2013-12-20 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Did you test ride bikes?
NO My flight was cancelled on Sunday so we lost a DAY. Then we left on Wednesday so I didn't have time. I do think I've made a decision though......I just need to pull the trigger TGIF ALL!!GO YANTI!!!!! Nothing like getting back on the horse, so to speak, eh? Jumping in with both feet!!
So, what's the decision?
2013-12-20 9:51 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Just in a lot of pain now--not so much personally, but on behalf of those close to me. Crushing. From my log:

Sad, sad day.

My Uncle Rudi (one of Mutti's little brothers) died. Old(ish) and had cancer, but ... a very close relative and friend to us all, more of a father to my brother than our father, and for him to lose both those men in the same year, tough. My Aunt Kathy (his wife) was family even before he married her--that's how they met. She was working for my dad in Indonesia, and he came here to do the same. Through this whole ordeal, even the day he passed away, Kathy was so proud of me doing IMWA and shared my pictures on her own FB wall. 

I have much to say about Uncle Rudi. He was a great man and lived a remarkable life spanning three continents. For now, I need to just cry, and think of his wife and daughters, and our family.

Far more of a tragedy, one that cannot even be put into words ... though my friend Kerry did, and achingly beautifully. Yesterday she lost her best friend to cancer ... and today her baby grandson died in an accident. This is Taj and these are her words.

To all our beautiful family and friends who have sent messages today and who have held us in their prayers this is Taj our beautfiul grandson we lost today through accidentaly drowning at the age of 19 months. We have kissed his chubby cheek one last time and said our goodbyes as he prepares to donate his liver, kidney and heart to other children. We are devasted at the loss of Taj and thank everyone for their thoughts and well wishes. In the words of one of his nurses today "In our tragedy Taj's kindness gives a family a reason to celebrate christmas." Sleep peacefully our little angel. Popstar and Grandma xxxx

2013-12-20 9:55 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Just in a lot of pain now--not so much personally, but on behalf of those close to me. Crushing.

Oh Yanti - how awful.

{{{HUGS}}}
2013-12-20 10:00 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Just in a lot of pain now--not so much personally, but on behalf of those close to me. Crushing.

Oh Yanti - how awful. {{{HUGS}}}

Thank you. So much. Any thoughts you can spare for Kerry and Rudi's families, that'd be great too.

I think I'd rather talk about bikes ... so which one?

2013-12-20 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Just in a lot of pain now--not so much personally, but on behalf of those close to me. Crushing. From my log:

Sad, sad day.

Thank you for sharing a bit of Rudi and Taj with us.  May they go in peace.

{{hugs}}

2013-12-20 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Oh Yanti - how awful. {{{HUGS}}}

Thank you. So much. Any thoughts you can spare for Kerry and Rudi's families, that'd be great too.

Ann and I continue to keep you in our prayers. I so wish I could take away your pain, but only He can do so for many of us. Peace, my friend.

2013-12-20 10:46 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Melon Presser

Thank you. Really. Love and light.

2013-12-20 11:02 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I hate to be THAT person who just talks about ME ME ME and my first world problems - especially in the presence of such pain.

Since it may cause a short term distraction (in a good way) I'll give ya my short list:

2014 Felt B12
2014 Trek 7.0
2014 Trek 7.5 if I feel like spending an extra $1,000 to get ultegra over the 105 (which I don't)

2013 Trek 7.0 wsd leftover, gently used, great price

Leaning towards the 2014 7.0.

There is a Trek employee/engineer on the ST forums and I asked his opinion of the 2013 great deal vs the 2014 frame and this is what he had to say:

"Tis the season for shops to try and unload old inventory, which means discounts and deals...so can see where the 2013 package is coming from...and it would be a great bike.

Still, the 2014 platform fixed so many things from the previous one...not just being lighter and faster, but easier to live with in terms of brake adjustments and seatpost clamping and other common gripes about the 2010-2013 bike. The 2014 has more upgrade upside too. Not only could you put the same cockpit upgrades on the 2014 as the 2013, but unlike the 2013 you can pretty much turn a 2014 7 into a 9 because there's no difference in the interfaces at the front of the bike...want to drop the new 9-series integrated bar on there, you're set. Couldn't do that before.

The Shimano 105 blend (there's some Tiagra and Dura Ace in there) drivetrain on the new bike is nicer too. Lots of little things that Shimano does just make it easier to live with...and abuse, neglect, etc.

On the wheels, a $99 wheelcover on the stock 2014 rear wheel is a pretty big drag/$ savings. A wheelcover on our Aeolus 5 D3 is the fastest thing we've ever tested in the back of an SC, in fact. Slightly better than the Zipp Super9 clincher disk...which is the best of the rest (as long as it has our R4Aero on it anyway).

I feel for the shop...they're really my more direct customer in many ways...but I really do prefer the new bike. The only catch there is availability. Happily (for you, maybe), what we do still have in warehouses is the 7.0...but there aren't many. 7.5 and above have a few weeks lead time on them right now. "
2013-12-20 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Sad, sad day.

Thank you for sharing a bit of Rudi and Taj with us.  May they go in peace.

{{hugs}}

I can't imagine the pain of losing a child. Peace to him and his family. And peace with you and your family for the loss of your loved one.
2013-12-20 11:22 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by TriAya I think I'd rather talk about bikes ... so which one?
I hate to be THAT person who just talks about ME ME ME and my first world problems - especially in the presence of such pain. Since it may cause a short term distraction (in a good way) I'll give ya my short list: 2014 Felt B12 2014 Trek 7.0 2014 Trek 7.5 if I feel like spending an extra $1,000 to get ultegra over the 105 (which I don't) 2013 Trek 7.0 wsd leftover, gently used, great price Leaning towards the 2014 7.0. There is a Trek employee/engineer on the ST forums and I asked his opinion of the 2013 great deal vs the 2014 frame and this is what he had to say: "Tis the season for shops to try and unload old inventory, which means discounts and deals...so can see where the 2013 package is coming from...and it would be a great bike. Still, the 2014 platform fixed so many things from the previous one...not just being lighter and faster, but easier to live with in terms of brake adjustments and seatpost clamping and other common gripes about the 2010-2013 bike. The 2014 has more upgrade upside too. Not only could you put the same cockpit upgrades on the 2014 as the 2013, but unlike the 2013 you can pretty much turn a 2014 7 into a 9 because there's no difference in the interfaces at the front of the bike...want to drop the new 9-series integrated bar on there, you're set. Couldn't do that before. The Shimano 105 blend (there's some Tiagra and Dura Ace in there) drivetrain on the new bike is nicer too. Lots of little things that Shimano does just make it easier to live with...and abuse, neglect, etc. On the wheels, a $99 wheelcover on the stock 2014 rear wheel is a pretty big drag/$ savings. A wheelcover on our Aeolus 5 D3 is the fastest thing we've ever tested in the back of an SC, in fact. Slightly better than the Zipp Super9 clincher disk...which is the best of the rest (as long as it has our R4Aero on it anyway). I feel for the shop...they're really my more direct customer in many ways...but I really do prefer the new bike. The only catch there is availability. Happily (for you, maybe), what we do still have in warehouses is the 7.0...but there aren't many. 7.5 and above have a few weeks lead time on them right now. "

Talking about bikes is basically talking about T.I.T.S., and almost regardless of the circumstances or context, I like T.I.T.S.

Yeah ... I'd lean toward the 2014 Trek 7.0 too. Unless there was a really $$$ race I was signing up for and the difference in buying the 2013 could be that, considering I'd probably never really need that kind of versatility in upgrading the components.

Also, other than crashing the crap out of them, resulting in types (though not extent) of damage that bike shops say they've never seen before, I never neglect or abuse anything on my bikes. Oh, unless you count forgetting to change the saddle out before it blows up 9 days before an IM. Stuff like that.

2013-12-20 11:24 AM

User image

Melon Presser

P.S. I should be packing for Jakarta and resting before the aquathlon tomorrow (only the 2nd I've ever done in my life! The last one was 25 HOLY SHYTE! years ago). Instead, I'm baking vegan peanut butter cookies. Sometimes, that's the only thing that'll do. That, and I have no eggs.

2013-12-20 11:46 AM

User image

Master

Well, holy shyte, I knew we were archived, but not that email notifications were discontinued.  I have missed a bunch.

Yanti, I am so sorry to hear about Rudi and Taj.  The donation of Taj's organs is a wonderful gift by the family.  I hope they are able to know to whom the organs went, maybe that will help ease their pain a tiny amount.  Prayers for all.

I hope your race goes well, too.

I have been thinking about the Pod.  I have not been as active in here, simply due to time constraints.  But, I do read all posts and keep up.  I would like to see us continue and get some 'new blood'.  I think Jan 2 would be a good time to reopen.

In other news, we took my niece and nephews to Cultus Lake last night; it's a small community about an hour from here that is mostly a recreation area, although the number of permanent residents has steadily increased over the past 10 years.  I did a 30km trail race around the lake a few years back.  Anyway, this year the community has put on a Christmas 'festival'.  It was the first year, so not super well organized, but the highlight was Santa landing on the driving range in a helicopter!  It was really cool.  The kids got to get a picture with Santa and some goodies.  Then we went down to the lake where the trees were all decorated, as well as many of the houses.  It was a great night.  And now, today it has snowed 2 inches overnight and is still snowing.  Since this is Vancouver, it will turn to rain this afternoon and create a slushy awful mess, so I am going to go for a run while I can enjoy it .  Happy Friday everyone!

2013-12-20 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by TriAya I think I'd rather talk about bikes ... so which one?
I hate to be THAT person who just talks about ME ME ME and my first world problems - especially in the presence of such pain. Since it may cause a short term distraction (in a good way) I'll give ya my short list: 2014 Felt B12 2014 Trek 7.0 2014 Trek 7.5 if I feel like spending an extra $1,000 to get ultegra over the 105 (which I don't) 2013 Trek 7.0 wsd leftover, gently used, great price Leaning towards the 2014 7.0. There is a Trek employee/engineer on the ST forums and I asked his opinion of the 2013 great deal vs the 2014 frame and this is what he had to say: "Tis the season for shops to try and unload old inventory, which means discounts and deals...so can see where the 2013 package is coming from...and it would be a great bike. Still, the 2014 platform fixed so many things from the previous one...not just being lighter and faster, but easier to live with in terms of brake adjustments and seatpost clamping and other common gripes about the 2010-2013 bike. The 2014 has more upgrade upside too. Not only could you put the same cockpit upgrades on the 2014 as the 2013, but unlike the 2013 you can pretty much turn a 2014 7 into a 9 because there's no difference in the interfaces at the front of the bike...want to drop the new 9-series integrated bar on there, you're set. Couldn't do that before. The Shimano 105 blend (there's some Tiagra and Dura Ace in there) drivetrain on the new bike is nicer too. Lots of little things that Shimano does just make it easier to live with...and abuse, neglect, etc. On the wheels, a $99 wheelcover on the stock 2014 rear wheel is a pretty big drag/$ savings. A wheelcover on our Aeolus 5 D3 is the fastest thing we've ever tested in the back of an SC, in fact. Slightly better than the Zipp Super9 clincher disk...which is the best of the rest (as long as it has our R4Aero on it anyway). I feel for the shop...they're really my more direct customer in many ways...but I really do prefer the new bike. The only catch there is availability. Happily (for you, maybe), what we do still have in warehouses is the 7.0...but there aren't many. 7.5 and above have a few weeks lead time on them right now. "

I kind of hesitate to delve into this since you have probably made up your mind already.

First of all, 105 is fine.  I would not hesitate to go with either a 105 or Ultegra.  Remember that Ultregra from a few years ago is today's 105.

I have put tens of thousands of miles on the three Trek roadies that I've owned and they've all been great bikes.  I have a Felt tri bike and that has also been great.  Test ride both and see how you feel.  As Yanti said, it's all about time in the saddle.  You can buy a bike that is fast on paper but you need to do the work on the engine to see that pay off.

2013-12-20 12:38 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by bcraht

Well, holy shyte, I knew we were archived, but not that email notifications were discontinued.  I have missed a bunch.

It seems really weird to archive us before starting the new threads.  Pfft!

In other news, we took my niece and nephews to Cultus Lake last night; it's a small community about an hour from here that is mostly a recreation area, although the number of permanent residents has steadily increased over the past 10 years.  I did a 30km trail race around the lake a few years back.  Anyway, this year the community has put on a Christmas 'festival'.  It was the first year, so not super well organized, but the highlight was Santa landing on the driving range in a helicopter!  It was really cool.  The kids got to get a picture with Santa and some goodies.  Then we went down to the lake where the trees were all decorated, as well as many of the houses.  It was a great night.  And now, today it has snowed 2 inches overnight and is still snowing.  Since this is Vancouver, it will turn to rain this afternoon and create a slushy awful mess, so I am going to go for a run while I can enjoy it .  Happy Friday everyone!

Cool Santa!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  

of 62

RELATED POSTS

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : September 20, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Snapping hip syndrome is a condition described by a snapping sensation felt when the hip is flexed and extended. It is often also treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : May 29, 2012
I recently just ran a 5 mile race, and in the last 100 meters I was sprinting to pass someone and I felt a "pop" in my left arch. Could I have strained it? What is your advice for healing?
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.