BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-09-12 8:46 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

ROTFL ... this has got to be one of the odder IM discussions around and we're actually serious! (sort of)

It is still super cool and unprecedented that a GROUP of Indonesian and Indo-based athletes are going to Ironman together. We're still definitely in that early adventure high energy days of endurance sports being popularly established here and it is such a deeply moving and inspiring thing to me.

D-18 to IMMY (Ironman Malaysia)
Saturday: 115 km Ride to/in Alsut + 5.2 km Swim + 11 km Run ? Done.
Sunday: 202 km Ride in Sentul (4090m Elevation gain) + 11 km Run ? Done.
Now a 33 km Long Run @Race pace tomorrow evening, another big weekend, then TAPER starts next week! ... Akhirnya!!!
It’s been a draining 3 months ... Over 200h out there, half of which on the saddle, the other half in the water or down running tracks.
And just like most roads out there, this one hasn't been less bumpy, I lost 3 training weeks in the buildup to peak to an “Unidentified viral infection”, and earlier lost my Sudirman training loop to MRT … But hey! There's been countless blessings too: like clouds and breeze in a hot afternoon, like second (and third and fourth) winds on a long endurance day, an improved swim, a refreshing Kelapa Muda after a conquered KOM, healed crashes' wounds, injury-free run, that old Om climbing Km0 every weekend and that Tante spinning her old bicycle, carrying her son -and his bike- under the midday sun ... We'll have fun (and some hurt) in Langkawi soon!

2014-09-12 8:51 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Yanti I giggle too every time I think of the monkey zone! Maybe you can figure out a way to get them to hold up signs "GO YANTI" and take pictures!
2014-09-12 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Has anyone heard from Jonathan TN?

2014-09-12 9:20 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Yanti I giggle too every time I think of the monkey zone! Maybe you can figure out a way to get them to hold up signs "GO YANTI" and take pictures!

Hey, I thought you weren't doing any more thinking today??

The monkey zone cracks me up too!  Glad we don't have gator zones at my races!

2014-09-12 9:20 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Not in a while.

2014-09-12 9:45 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Yanti I giggle too every time I think of the monkey zone! Maybe you can figure out a way to get them to hold up signs "GO YANTI" and take pictures!

Wellllllll...

(IMG_16960396672845.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_16960396672845.jpg (77KB - 3 downloads)

2014-09-12 9:53 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Wellllllll...

Sign should read, "Runners, move to the side of the road when a vehicle approaches, and move to the middle when an alligator does.  If both happen at the same time, you're on your own."

2014-09-12 9:57 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Not in a while.

Hopefully he's home and getting settled. I'm sure there is a lot of de-brief type stuff.

2014-09-12 10:04 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Originally posted by rrrunner

Not in a while.

Hopefully he's home and getting settled. I'm sure there is a lot of de-brief type stuff.

And doggy snuggling
2014-09-12 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Apparently my BT membership has expired. Which begs a question tied to the coaching question of yesterday. I'm not sure what will happen with my TP now that the coached group is done. I like TP as a link between Garmin and BT until BT gets their link figured out. Not sure where my next training plan will come from. I'm focused on RnR for now. Then???? IDK. Probably winter maintenance but thoughts of BQ are still in the back of my mind.

Thoughts?

2014-09-12 11:41 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by laffinrock

Wellllllll...

Sign should read, "Runners, move to the side of the road when a vehicle approaches, and move to the middle when an alligator does.  If both happen at the same time, you're on your own."

Go to the other side? That is hilarious.

2014-09-12 11:48 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by laffinrock

Wellllllll...

Go to the other side? That is hilarious.

I guess this answers the age old question of: why did the runner cross the road?  Duh, because of the alligators.

2014-09-12 11:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Apparently my BT membership has expired. Which begs a question tied to the coaching question of yesterday. I'm not sure what will happen with my TP now that the coached group is done. I like TP as a link between Garmin and BT until BT gets their link figured out. Not sure where my next training plan will come from. I'm focused on RnR for now. Then???? IDK. Probably winter maintenance but thoughts of BQ are still in the back of my mind.

Thoughts?

So is the question about whether to maintain TP, or what to do for a training program?

2014-09-12 11:59 AM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Oh and finally, finally I feel like I have rounded a corner in training and am starting to actually improve rather than flailing my way through every day.

I think a lot of the struggle was doing both running and mountaineering/hiking. I am  going to summit Mt. Adams (12,276') on the 21st- 22nd after having my first cross country race on the 21st. So, it should be a big weekend! 

Obviously I've got a lot going on so my check-ins tend to be less frequent but you can always see what I am up to by checking my instagram. I have a creative goal of posting a picture a day so I tend to be pretty good about it. 

Seriously cool and exciting!

I live vicariously through her instagram pix

^^^you too? Eta: Twitter actually, b/c instagram is one more thing I haven't put on my phone.

Oh wow, thanks guys!

You really should get IG. I post WAY more to that than twitter. Pictures say 1,000 words vs 140 characters, after all

2014-09-12 12:04 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Wellllllll...

i dont think i'll do that race!

2014-09-12 12:10 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

As for coaching ...

I think I could write a whole book on my thoughts and feelings on this as it relates to me. Ultimately you have to think of your goals and the hurdles you may encounter and whether or not you think a coach is better suited to get you over those.

Something I cannot stress enough is that I think taking the time to figure out A. What you are doing and why as it relates to training. Why am I running 800s and why is the rest x seconds. If you can understand those things and how they specifically make you a better runner (or swimmer or cyclist) it's a hell of a lot easier to manage your own training plan. And B. Know thy self Understand what easy is to you, what hard is and what tired is. Figuring out what the start of an injury feels like vs discomfort. 

As for fancy things like V02 Max testing? I think they can be a tool, sure. But they just can't tell you the whole story. Honestly, in my opinion racing is your very best indicator of how things are going. Because the physical part is not the only factor. I have found this article really sums up what I am talking a bout: http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/why-science-and-running-dont-always-mix

2014-09-12 12:15 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Thoughts?

So is the question about whether to maintain TP, or what to do for a training program?

Yeah, I guess it was a pretty vague question of whether to do one or the other or both. I see that TP has training plans but i've never looked at them.

2014-09-12 12:22 PM

User image

Seattle

Thoughts?

Yeah, I guess it was a pretty vague question of whether to do one or the other or both. I see that TP has training plans but i've never looked at them.

Well more than anything it's probably most important to define your goals first and then figure out what tools you would like/need to get you there (coach, plan or otherwise)

2014-09-12 12:30 PM

User image

Master

Thoughts?

Maybe if you like TP, paying for one of the plans that is linked to it would be a good use of money to create a "supported" self-training? $80/6mo for premium. Don't know how it stacks up against BT plans...or others, but you're familiar with TP already. 

2014-09-12 12:40 PM

User image

Master

As for coaching ...

I think I could write a whole book on my thoughts and feelings on this as it relates to me. Ultimately you have to think of your goals and the hurdles you may encounter and whether or not you think a coach is better suited to get you over those.

Something I cannot stress enough is that I think taking the time to figure out A. What you are doing and why as it relates to training. Why am I running 800s and why is the rest x seconds. If you can understand those things and how they specifically make you a better runner (or swimmer or cyclist) it's a hell of a lot easier to manage your own training plan. And B. Know thy self Understand what easy is to you, what hard is and what tired is. Figuring out what the start of an injury feels like vs discomfort. 

As for fancy things like V02 Max testing? I think they can be a tool, sure. But they just can't tell you the whole story. Honestly, in my opinion racing is your very best indicator of how things are going. Because the physical part is not the only factor. I have found this article really sums up what I am talking a bout: http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/why-science-and-running-dont-always-mix

Good read. I liked her response to one guy's comments..."And so far, out of the four different scientists I've worked with, only one could put the information in it's proper place for me, to be used as a tool but not as a definition of my ability."

2014-09-12 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

As for coaching ...

Good read. I liked her response to one guy's comments..."And so far, out of the four different scientists I've worked with, only one could put the information in it's proper place for me, to be used as a tool but not as a definition of my ability."

I think most AG athletes know the numbers are just a tool. We aren't looking to be the next Kara Goucher or TeeJay VanGarderen.

I've not done a V02 test and the guys at P2M only use it as a discussion of threshold and how a person can, through training, push those boundaries. I have enjoyed using heart rate, but I know it's limitations based on fatigue, weather, nutrition, sleep yada yadayada. But, again, it's a tool. I know that riding in zone 3 is more effective for gaining strength/endurance more so than zone 2, but I also know that zone 2 has it's place in training as well.

2014-09-12 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing  Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

September 13-14
Jonathan TX - Rose City Triathlon on Saturday
TJ - Patriot Triathlon on Saturday
Kirsten - Cultus Lake Triathlon on Sunday
Melanie - Atlantic City International Triathlon on Sunday
Yanti - Bali Half Marathon on Sunday

Disabled List
Tom - right knee
Erin - shoulder, teeth
Janyne - shoulder

2014-09-12 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing  Manatees!

September 13-14

Disabled List
Tom - right knee
Erin - shoulder, teeth
Janyne - shoulder

Wow. Good Stuff! Looks like some great races this weekend. Go get 'em racers!

The additions to the DL make my heart hurt. Heal up friends. {{HUGS}}

2014-09-12 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing  Manatees!

September 13-14

Disabled List
Tom - right knee
Erin - shoulder, teeth
Janyne - shoulder

YAY, GO RACERS, GO!!!!!

Erin, I think "teeth" is a first ever for the DL!   Way to be an over achiever 

There are way too many shoulder injuries around here these days too!!

2014-09-12 3:09 PM

User image

Master

As for coaching ...

I have found this to be soooooooooooo critical.  Since beginning with my training partner, my run pace has increased a fair bit.  He pushes me.  I have written things in my log before like "Apparently S does not know that I can't run this fast".  It has proven to me that I don't know myself and what I am capable of.  (Conversely, it has proven that I DO know myself, in that I am my own limiter--if I just step out of my own way, improvements come).  

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 43865 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37987 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73325 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51013 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 26144 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.