General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Everyone's a Winner Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2009-08-25 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2368681

Subject: RE: Everyone's a Winner

Marvarnett - 2009-08-25 9:42 AM
Wow did this thread balloon!

I would venture to say that more most everyone on the board this is a hobby.  You state that you have to put 40+ hrs, no family, no job, etc and I just sit back and the first word that comes to my mind is "excuses".

You are entitled to your view as I am mine.  I choose to side with people like the man I ran into before my workout last weekend. He was 80 yrs old and was telling me how he ran a 3:05 marathon at age 60.  Or the man that always finished the TTP race series and he is 83 yrs old.  Those are the views that I choose to side with.  It seems to *ME* that you find it easier to just throw our 'reasons' why it's hard to do something (whatever it is)

We all have challenges that prevent us from training.  It's how you overcome those challenges that I find interesting and reveal character in someone.

First of all, my example was merely a hypothetical - I'm sure a lot of people here would love to have no job, and train as much as they wanted. The pros get to do that.

What I want to know is why everyone here seems to think that TRIATHLON determines whether or not you are a strong human being, worthy of being admired, etc. Sorry, people but triathlon is NOT the be-all and end-all of life activities and it does NOT make someone more valid because they choose to devote their time to that thing as opposed to something else and those who don't focus every waking second on triathlon are weak-minded, fearful of the world, fearful of risk, etc. I'm sorry, but that is elitist, arrogant and downright rude. Dan, you and your wife have chosen not to have kids, so you can pursue your hobbies to the fullest extent. People with children can still train and make compromises to do so, yes, but I guarantee you that they will have less free time than you, as I'm sure that they would like to sometimes spend time with their children. And I highly DOUBT that they think of their children as an "excuse".

I choose to spend my time training as well as doing other things that I enjoy very much, as I'm sure many others here do. Would I be a faster triathlete, if I excluded all of those other activities? Maybe, but why the hell are my other hobbies merely "excuses" and why do they make me "weak" or living a "humdrum, boring life"? I think statements such as that are HIGHLY judgemental and insulting. I don't judge you and say that you are selfish for not having children so you can train or something like that - and I'm sure some people might see it that way. Just an example, but I am currently learning guitar and brushing up on the piano so I can be of more assistance with the worship team at church, on which I already sing. That takes up some time. That takes some effort - learning a new instrument for example, and building new skills on an old one. I enjoy performing - and getting up and performing is something that a lot of people are afraid to do. Would you have the nerve and determination to get up in front of a crowd and sing? I'm betting a lot of people here wouldn't. DO I think that makes them weak? Of course not, I just know that some people have different priorities and interests.

The single-mindedness of some people here really boggles my mind. It's fine if you want to devote your entire life to triathlon, but DO NOT belittle other people for having some priorities that turn elsewhere.

2009-08-25 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2368762

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
wurkit_gurl - 2009-08-25 8:59 AM

The single-mindedness of some people here really boggles my mind. It's fine if you want to devote your entire life to triathlon, but DO NOT belittle other people for having some priorities that turn elsewhere.

Well said.
2009-08-25 9:22 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
wurkit_gurl - 2009-08-25 9:59 AM

I would venture to say that more most everyone on the board this is a hobby.  You state that you have to put 40+ hrs, no family, no job, etc and I just sit back and the first word that comes to my mind is "excuses".

You are entitled to your view as I am mine.  I choose to side with people like the man I ran into before my workout last weekend. He was 80 yrs old and was telling me how he ran a 3:05 marathon at age 60.  Or the man that always finished the TTP race series and he is 83 yrs old.  Those are the views that I choose to side with.  It seems to *ME* that you find it easier to just throw our 'reasons' why it's hard to do something (whatever it is)

We all have challenges that prevent us from training.  It's how you overcome those challenges that I find interesting and reveal character in someone.

First of all, my example was merely a hypothetical - I'm sure a lot of people here would love to have no job, and train as much as they wanted. The pros get to do that.

What I want to know is why everyone here seems to think that TRIATHLON determines whether or not you are a strong human being, worthy of being admired, etc. Sorry, people but triathlon is NOT the be-all and end-all of life activities and it does NOT make someone more valid because they choose to devote their time to that thing as opposed to something else and those who don't focus every waking second on triathlon are weak-minded, fearful of the world, fearful of risk, etc. I'm sorry, but that is elitist, arrogant and downright rude. Dan, you and your wife have chosen not to have kids, so you can pursue your hobbies to the fullest extent. People with children can still train and make compromises to do so, yes, but I guarantee you that they will have less free time than you, as I'm sure that they would like to sometimes spend time with their children. And I highly DOUBT that they think of their children as an "excuse".

I choose to spend my time training as well as doing other things that I enjoy very much, as I'm sure many others here do. Would I be a faster triathlete, if I excluded all of those other activities? Maybe, but why the hell are my other hobbies merely "excuses" and why do they make me "weak" or living a "humdrum, boring life"? I think statements such as that are HIGHLY judgemental and insulting. I don't judge you and say that you are selfish for not having children so you can train or something like that - and I'm sure some people might see it that way. Just an example, but I am currently learning guitar and brushing up on the piano so I can be of more assistance with the worship team at church, on which I already sing. That takes up some time. That takes some effort - learning a new instrument for example, and building new skills on an old one. I enjoy performing - and getting up and performing is something that a lot of people are afraid to do. Would you have the nerve and determination to get up in front of a crowd and sing? I'm betting a lot of people here wouldn't. DO I think that makes them weak? Of course not, I just know that some people have different priorities and interests.

Perhaps I missed where I said that Triathlon was the end all be all.  Nope.  If you were to ask me, doing somethig, anything with full vigor will get my nod 9 times out of 10.  I may think that your competitive underwater basket weaving is weird, but if you're all about it, rock on!  But this is a Triathlon board, so I would think the hobby discussed here most would be Triathlon.

I played volleyball before I did Tri's and I gave that my all as well.  Truth be told, I personally believe the person that thinks they can't do X or Y are weak minded.  My wife and I have gone round and round on this one.  I honestly believe that anyone can do anything if they try hard enough.  But that's just how *I* see the world.  Please don't accuse me of saying that anyone is weak minded because they don't "focus every waking second on triathlon".

Again, we have choosen not to have children because we don't see the point in having children, NOT because I have choosen to persue triathlon.  Just wanted to fix that for you.  And you also make a rather large assumption that just because people have kids they can't train more than I do.  I know of many athletes and have some athletes that train just as much as I do and have kids.  But then again, I guess all of the things I do outside of training don't count towards hours in my day because I don't have kids.  But I digress.

You may feel that I am picking on you, but I am NOT.  I think its awesme that you are persuing things you love, inside and outside of Triathlons.  This 'debate' is about if you give it your all on race day, not if you are playing guitar for 3 hrs a day and training 1 hr a day or vice versa before you get to the start line. 

And by the way, race day would include when you stand on that stage and perform.  Would you find it ok if I told everyone I was going to sing the solo next Sunday and then decided on Sunday that I may or may not try to do my best?  That is more along the lines we are discussing here.  Not wether or not you show up to do it.

And since you asked, I would have no problem standing in front of a crowd and singing.  Why?  Because it's something that would be VERY difficult for me.  And that is what makes it worth doing to the best of my ability.  and I guarentee you one thing:  You would be 100X better than I would be even if I gave my all every waking hour because all I can do is get cats to come running when I sing.  And all I know on the piano is the jaws theme (man those 2 notes are hard!)

2009-08-25 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
wurkit_gurl - 2009-08-25 6:59 AM

You do have to make some choices not only in this sport, but in life.  You can either focus on one thing and be great at it, or focus on many things and be good at them.   So many of us get caught in the sport we forsake everything else and assume everyone else in the sport is doing the same.   Neither one is right or wrong.

I don't think less of a person because they do other things in life, if I had kids or a bigger family I just may have done the same.
2009-08-25 9:30 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

wurkit_gurl - 2009-08-25 8:59 AM

I dont think he is belittling you, I think he is pointing out some incorrect statements you make.  For someone who wants to improve in the sport, you make it seem like life around you must end and that folks need 40 hours to train (which is ridiculous, even for most pros), no kids, no job, etc, etc.  That is proven incorrect by many on this board, who do keep tris as a hobby AND work full time jobs AND have kids AND other obligation and some who continue to see improvement, because that is currently what they seek.  You make it seem as though anyone who wants to improve in the sport is a nutjob with gobs of time and probably a too.  I think most of us get it in that this sport is an individual sport- you race the clock based on your perameters- how much time and effort you want to train, how hard you want to race, what your objectives are.  The problem is too many seek some kind of validation from others that what they are doing is 'ok'.  Everyone does themselves a big favor by knowing their reasons what they do and when and why, take what advice fits with those reasons and really looking to themselves for what is the way to do it.  Get the chips off the shoulders folks, and that includes Joe Friel. 

2009-08-25 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2368681

User image

Regular
SW VA

"Renee:  Thank you for your insight and as usual it is spot on.

For the Newbies:  NO ONE on here is saying that you are not good enough, fast enough, etc for the sport.  At least not that I have read (and I read every post).  But rather the question people are 'arguing' is wether you are giving it your all when you toe that line at a RACE.  Get away from the but I finished first or last crap.  It's did you truly RACE the RACE.  Or did you go out there with just enough effort to finish.

I'm not saying either one is good or bad, but that is I think the crux of what people are getting at."

Did you race the race?   I think this is the best I have heard it put forth in this argument. Even then I would argue it only matters if that is what matters to you... but this is closest to my philosophy on it.

I am a little disappointed so many people are so concerned about why anyone does what they do.... curious about it ok fine, but passing judgment on it, makes no sense to me and those of who seem to care what anyone else thinks of why you do what you... well that makes no sense either.

Do it because you want to, or because you like to, or because you want to prove it to yourself, or because someone told you couldn't or because you want to lose weight, or because you like fit chicks or fit guys whatever your reason... good for you and good luck!   see you out there doing what you do.

2009-08-25 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2365928

Dan, I was using my other hobbies merely as an example. If someone else were typing, they might use their own hobbies. Just an example, so chill. I know you're not picking on "me" specifically, but you ARE picking on everyone like me, who chooses to spread out their available time and maybe not train as hard at one particular thing. I understand that this is a triathlon board, but as I said, people do have other hobbies and that is okay and does not make them weak. To be honest, I don't know if I would be a super-great triathlete or not, if I trained 40+ hours a week. I might be, I might not. I don't know. But the point is that I have other priorities that keep me from finding out. I'm sure that is the case with others here. And I'm not sure why that is acceptable.

And I find it strange that you think that "you can do anything you put your mind to" - isn't that really long the same vein as "everyone is a winner"? Because, no you may NOT be able to do anything you put your mind to. My sister can't sing worth a damn. That's not a talent she was born with. A lot of talents you simply cannot learn - to an extent they're god-given (or whatever deity or non-deity you prefer). Some people don't have the talent for running 6:00 miles no matter how hard they try. And so to waste their time trying to achieve something they will never be able to achieve seems kind of dumb to me, esp. if it could end up hurting them. You can't be good at everything - again, not everyone is a winner - and realizing that doesn't make you a "weak person". I understand not ever trying it and still saying 'Oh, I could never do that'. But I think that most of us here have a good enough sense of our abilities to know where our strengths lie and how much effort it would take to get to point X and whether or not that attempt would really be worth our time. Recognizing where your talents lie and focusing on those is no less worthy than trying to be mediocre at everything...

2009-08-25 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2368897

jszat - 2009-08-25 10:30 AM

I dont think he is belittling you, I think he is pointing out some incorrect statements you make.  For someone who wants to improve in the sport, you make it seem like life around you must end and that folks need 40 hours to train (which is ridiculous, even for most pros), no kids, no job, etc, etc.  That is proven incorrect by many on this board, who do keep tris as a hobby AND work full time jobs AND have kids AND other obligation and some who continue to see improvement, because that is currently what they seek.  You make it seem as though anyone who wants to improve in the sport is a nutjob with gobs of time and probably a too.  I think most of us get it in that this sport is an individual sport- you race the clock based on your perameters- how much time and effort you want to train, how hard you want to race, what your objectives are.  The problem is too many seek some kind of validation from others that what they are doing is 'ok'.  Everyone does themselves a big favor by knowing their reasons what they do and when and why, take what advice fits with those reasons and really looking to themselves for what is the way to do it.  Get the chips off the shoulders folks, and that includes Joe Friel. 

Whoa, way to make sweeping generalizations. I already said that the no job, lots of time to train is the "ideal". I never said that people who train for triathlons are nutjobs. And I'm not the only person who has other priorities, so no he's not just belittling me - I said "don't belittle those" - plural, ie, everyone who doesn't choose to focus 100% of their time into triathlon. And those people who make it work around jobs, family, etc - wouldn't they be a little better if they didn't have those things in their way? Maybe. But does that make them "weak" for having those obstacles, or as Dan calls them "excuses"? No, of course not.

The point is, as it has always been - Triathlon is not the only thing in the world worthy of proving how "good" of a person you are. TexasMPGgirl already said it - it's a HOBBY. Nothing more.

2009-08-25 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2368933

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

wurkit_gurl - 2009-08-25 9:42 AM

And I find it strange that you think that "you can do anything you put your mind to" - isn't that really long the same vein as "everyone is a winner"? 

The former requires effort, a plan, drive, motivation.  The latter may include those, but it could also include someone blowing smoke.  Attitude accounts for a lot, and without the belief that you can do something you will not succeed.  And that is in anything.

2009-08-25 10:01 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Wow, people are starting to get a little hot!!

To get back to the original subject, it's a matter of why you are at an event. IMHO (and my opinion only), if you enter a RACE, you should be there to RACE. Whether that's to not be DFL, or even if you are DFL to beat your last time, you should be giving it 100%.

If you do that, then you are PERSONALLY a winner. You trained, you showed up, you gave it your best shot. He11, I went 0-season my first year wrestling. I was skinny, weak and really bad at wrestling. But, I still showed up, gave it everything I had every time out. Our top wrestler (this was jr high) was one of those that had a very early maturation, and he went something like 15-1, just because he was strong. Goofed around in practice, etc.

Who is the winner in that scenario? Both of us. Myself, because I'm busting my azz to try and get better. Obviously he's a winner because, well, he won a lot.

If you aren't going to show up to give it 100% and RACE the race, then you might as well save your money and do a long training day. (Exceptions: Racing with a friend for encouragement and racing for a specific purpose such as nutrition training, although it could be argued you could do that without racing as well.)

John
2009-08-25 10:04 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
wurkit_gurl - 2009-08-25 10:42 AM

Dan, I was using my other hobbies merely as an example. If someone else were typing, they might use their own hobbies. Just an example, so chill. I know you're not picking on "me" specifically, but you ARE picking on everyone like me, who chooses to spread out their available time and maybe not train as hard at one particular thing. I understand that this is a triathlon board, but as I said, people do have other hobbies and that is okay and does not make them weak. To be honest, I don't know if I would be a super-great triathlete or not, if I trained 40+ hours a week. I might be, I might not. I don't know. But the point is that I have other priorities that keep me from finding out. I'm sure that is the case with others here. And I'm not sure why that is acceptable.

And I find it strange that you think that "you can do anything you put your mind to" - isn't that really long the same vein as "everyone is a winner"? Because, no you may NOT be able to do anything you put your mind to. My sister can't sing worth a damn. That's not a talent she was born with. A lot of talents you simply cannot learn - to an extent they're god-given (or whatever deity or non-deity you prefer). Some people don't have the talent for running 6:00 miles no matter how hard they try. And so to waste their time trying to achieve something they will never be able to achieve seems kind of dumb to me, esp. if it could end up hurting them. You can't be good at everything - again, not everyone is a winner - and realizing that doesn't make you a "weak person". I understand not ever trying it and still saying 'Oh, I could never do that'. But I think that most of us here have a good enough sense of our abilities to know where our strengths lie and how much effort it would take to get to point X and whether or not that attempt would really be worth our time. Recognizing where your talents lie and focusing on those is no less worthy than trying to be mediocre at everything...

Perhaps we have to agree to disagree.

Yes, I do think one can do anything they put their mind to.  But assigning the correct goal is the sticky point.  The way i am seeing your statements is that if I don't think I can run a sub 2:30 Marathon, then I'm going to not waste my time.  I see it as I'm going to put my best effort forward and see how that turns out for you.  That is where the spectrum of how good people are exsists.  There will be people at either end and in the middle. 

I am like your sister, I can't carry a tune in a bucket.  But Nancy has been classically taught since she was little.  If we both were going to try out for American Idol season 68 I would try my hardest to do my best.  I would not look into the future and decide...you know what, I might not be good at that so I won't try.

You see my example as me wasting my time, I see it as a challenge that I will not find out if I can do until I truely give it my best effort.  And when we get on that stage, I will give my best effort not conceed defeat and "just get through it".

I think most people are afraid of failure so would rather not attempt something.  Eveyone can be good at everything, just few are Great at things.  (Note: definition of good is debateable). 

2009-08-25 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2368948

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

wurkit_gurl - 2009-08-25 9:47 AM

But does that make them "weak" for having those obstacles, or as Dan calls them "excuses"? No, of course not.

The point is, as it has always been - Triathlon is not the only thing in the world worthy of proving how "good" of a person you are. TexasMPGgirl already said it - it's a HOBBY. Nothing more.

The point is that if triathlon is your hobby of choice and you wish to excel because thats what you want to do, then you will find a way.  If you use things to prevent you from that goal instead of exhausting all resources (again, because this particular hypothetical person says they want to improve), they are excuses. 

2009-08-25 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
I've only been to 2 triathlons so far, one as a racer and one as a spectator. Both were events geared at beginners. That said, I don't know if I saw anyone that wasn't "racing." Yes, there were slow people, me included, but every person out there was busting their butt trying to get to the finish. My 3 mile "run" became a death march after my back locked up coming off the bike, and in my ridiculously long time on the run course, everyone seemed to be pushing it. Whether is was the fast runner pushing the pace or a slow runner attempting to walk/shuffle the run, everyone was pushing their pace. Maybe I just haven't seen enough races, but I just haven't seen this group of people who don't "race."
2009-08-25 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2369032

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
jszat - 2009-08-25 11:06 AM

wurkit_gurl - 2009-08-25 9:47 AM

But does that make them "weak" for having those obstacles, or as Dan calls them "excuses"? No, of course not.

The point is that if triathlon is your hobby of choice and you wish to excel because thats what you want to do, then you will find a way.  If you use things to prevent you from that goal instead of exhausting all resources (again, because this particular hypothetical person says they want to improve), they are excuses. 

You're way more succinct than I am.

Thanks.

Edited by Marvarnett 2009-08-25 10:29 AM
2009-08-25 10:42 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
wurkit_gurl - 2009-08-25 10:42 AM

And I find it strange that you think that "you can do anything you put your mind to" - isn't that really long the same vein as "everyone is a winner"?

No, it's not the same at all. "Everyone is a winner" carries the implication that even if one doesn't put their mind to something, and just gives a half azed effort, they are still a winner because they tried. Crap!

Putting one's mind to something implies decision and commitment and dedication.

"Whatever your mind can conceive and believe

it can achieve."

2009-08-25 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2369024

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Marvarnett - 2009-08-25 10:04 AM
Yes, I do think one can do anything they put their mind to.  But assigning the correct goal is the sticky point.   

These two sentences are pretty contradictary.
So... I can do anything I put my mind to... but only as long as it fits within a reasonable goal? That right there doesn't mean "anyone can do anything they put their mind to."

Which is the point some people are trying to make. One can NOT do anything they put their mind to. That is painfully obvious.

2009-08-25 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2369203

User image

Champion
the colony texas
so after going back and reading this thread I'm totally confused

am I a winner or not???

2009-08-25 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2369216

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Gaarryy - 2009-08-25 10:57 AM so after going back and reading this thread I'm totally confused

am I a winner or not???

You, dear sir, are the epitome of "loser."

Cool
2009-08-25 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2369216

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

Gaarryy - 2009-08-25 10:57 AM so after going back and reading this thread I'm totally confused

am I a winner or not???

do you think you are?  i dont know what the prize is, but you can figure that out too.

2009-08-25 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2369203

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
lisac957 - 2009-08-25 11:52 AM
Marvarnett - 2009-08-25 10:04 AM
Yes, I do think one can do anything they put their mind to.  But assigning the correct goal is the sticky point.   

These two sentences are pretty contradictary.
So... I can do anything I put my mind to... but only as long as it fits within a reasonable goal? That right there doesn't mean "anyone can do anything they put their mind to."

Which is the point some people are trying to make. One can NOT do anything they put their mind to. That is painfully obvious.

By using the word reasonable, you have just placed a limitation on yourself.  IMHO.  The second part was the caveat.  Just like if I said, "I am going to run the marathon in 1h 30m". 

One can spin the negative all they like if that makes them feel better for not trying but my point remains.  Technically, the use of the word anything is a fallacy.  Because someone can come up with a singular situation where something, anything is not possible and then claim that to be the rule for all samples.  If one chooses to limit themselves by that factor, then so be it. 
2009-08-25 11:15 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Hey Everyone's a Winner!

2009-08-25 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2369003

User image

Champion
Alabama

tkd.teacher - 2009-08-25 10:01 AM Wow, people are starting to get a little hot!!

John

Coming from a real hothead?!  :-)

2009-08-25 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2369306

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Rogillio - 2009-08-25 9:23 AM

tkd.teacher - 2009-08-25 10:01 AM Wow, people are starting to get a little hot!!

John

Coming from a real hothead?!  :-)

Look into my eyesockets! (If you know anything abuot the Ghost Rider, that should crack you up... Tongue out )

John
2009-08-25 11:58 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
How does anyone KNOW if someone else is racing during a tri (versus "just finishing") ?
2009-08-25 12:38 PM
in reply to: #2369419

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
trishie - 2009-08-25 12:58 PM How does anyone KNOW if someone else is racing during a tri (versus "just finishing") ?

What do I win if I answer this correctly?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Everyone's a Winner Rss Feed  

of 9