BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2014-01-05 4:52 PM
in reply to: #4915315

Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL
Question - what are your eating goals for this coming week? Is there one nutritional thing you're focusing on or an overall plan? 

So last Friday I got diagnosed with bursitis and I have been bench until the 24th of this month. Activities are pretty limited (no running, short non-vigorous riding and limited swim) basically no impact or twisting etc. Since that is all I do...I will have PT and have to sharply deal with my diet. Goals are to track my food, stay sane and don't eat through my injury.

2014-01-05 8:52 PM
in reply to: michmich

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

Sorry for going missing in action just as the group was starting. In NZ we get some time off over Christmas/New Year, as its the middle of our summer, so I have been down at the family beach house unwinding, and out of internet coverage for the last week and a half. But, real life is starting up again, and I should be checking in every day here from now on, so look forward to being more involved.

Right, I'll try to catch up on some of these conversations I've missed,

1.Clean eating starts today. I had started on the first of Jan (at the beach means lovely fresh fish to eat!) But I folded last night and had pizza for dinner. So today it begins again.

2. Successes over the holiday season: Yesterday I weighed in at exactly the same weight (119kg) as before Christmas. Whilst losing would have been better, not gaining anything (whilst not working out that much) shows that I managed to have some restraint over the break.

3. Goals for the year: Nice and simple, lose at least 30kg, and get myself into good enough shape that completing an Ironman in 2015 is a realistic thing. Also, continue to do some races, and have some fun along the way.

4. Goals for this month: Log my food every day from this point on (in 2012, when i got to my lowest weight I logged for over 100 days straight on MFP. I strongly believe that getting back into the habit of logging will help a lot), Get back into the habit of exercise (run or swim) before work. I would also like to get to 25 hours of SBR training for the month. It's not a lot, but would be my biggest month in half a year.

This evening I'm looking forward to my first run of the year, hopefully it's not too painful...
2014-01-05 9:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Michelle - Which bursa is it? (Shldr or?) and how did you injure it? Just curious.
2014-01-05 11:07 PM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Expert
Ontario
Originally posted by enders_shadowI'm loving the recipes, guys - thanks! Once I do my menu planning for the week, I'll share. Question - what are your eating goals for this coming week? Is there one nutritional thing you're focusing on or an overall plan?
My goals for this week are to plan my days eating in advance. When I don't have a plan I tend to just eat whatever is handy and easy, though not necessarily healthy. Mondays meals are already planned.
2014-01-05 11:36 PM

User image

Master
MidWest

I will try to catch up when I can.  Visiting my parents and very elderly grandma in Texas this week.  

2014-01-06 7:19 AM
in reply to: #4924733

Hey George,
I have hip bursitis apparently. A thing from my accident that I did not take care of and is now saying "Take care of me NOW!"

2014-01-06 7:51 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by enders_shadow Question - what are your eating goals for this coming week? Is there one nutritional thing you're focusing on or an overall plan?

No specific goals this week - targeting an 8 or better every day - but will be travelling for work so really just shooting to exercise a little discipline on the road.  i need to focus on drinking more water.  it was never a thing i had a problem with, but for some reason i've fallen off that wagon.  so MORE WATER THIS WEEK.  

2014-01-06 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by enders_shadow

I'm loving the recipes, guys - thanks! Once I do my menu planning for the week, I'll share.

Question - what are your eating goals for this coming week? Is there one nutritional thing you're focusing on or an overall plan?

My goal for this week is also to focus on my veggies. The plan is to have at least 2 servings of veggies for each meal. I definitely tent to eat less junk food between meals if I'm loading up on veggies each meal!

2014-01-06 8:33 PM
in reply to: yogachic

User image

Master

Well I didn't do as well today as I would have liked to. But school starts back tomorrow so I'll have to eat what I take with me. Snacks and lunch are packed and ready to go. I also went ahead and made a protein smoothie to drink after the swim tomorrow morning. Hopefully that and the packed oatmeal (Mr. Bento) will keep me away from he Chick-fila drive through. 

Hope everyone stays warm and has a great week. It's going to be 21 on the Texas Gulf coast tonight. 

2014-01-06 8:35 PM
in reply to: yogachic

User image

Expert
Ontario

Ate ok today, breakfast was 12 grain toast with peanut butter, a bowl of homemade chili and a banana for lunch, supper was a big salad with two hard boiled eggs and an apple.  I did have 3 cups of coffe and 2 of tea and not enough water. 

I have my breakfast and lunch for tomorrow ready to go.  Need to shop for some fruit and veggies after work tomorrow.

2014-01-06 10:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
I just read through all the posts on race nutrition. I'm really amazed at the responses and lots of great ideas. Thanks everyone. For the foreseeable future I have no long training days (nothing over 90 minutes) but once I get outside again I'll have lots of things to try out. I also really enjoy the recipes so I'll try and write out some of my own soon.

I've been doing fairly well food wise since New Years day. So, other than continuing as I've been doing I'll also aim to eat more veggies. I'm sure this will be an ongoing goal for me.

Today I had oatmeal with Soy milk and a few almonds for breakfast. For lunch an omelette with Monterey jack cheese and salsa plus a Royal Gala Apple. And, Tonight I stir-fried some sprouts, snow peas and mushrooms in coconut oil and some light seasoning then put it over Jasmine rice (with a small bit of chicken). For a snack tonight I'll have some almond butter on homemade bread and possibly some herring. I did have a coffee after swimming and water when I feel thirsty. I need to try decaf coffee to see if it still affects me the way regular coffee does - really jangles me.

Michmich - Hopefully your bursitis won't be too lengthy nor frustrating to deal with. Keep us up to date on how it is progressing. Good luck.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-01-06 10:36 PM

2014-01-07 6:36 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

time to get real comfortable with each other - anyone having digestive issues switching to so much clean stuff after so much bad stuff (holidays).??

every time i eat my stomach gets a little upset and i'm uncomfortable for 30 minutes.  i'm guessing it's mostly to do with so much fiber being infused into the diet at once.

packed up my lunch bag for today:

ate eggs baked in avocado halves for breakfast
avocado chicken salad and 1/2 pita and unsweetened applesauce for lunch
leftover spaghetti squash with broccoli and peanut sauce for "dinner" (today will be a LONG day at work)
snacks are almonds, clementines, and a banana - and 2 lindor truffles as a treat
leftover carnitas on corn tortillas when i FINALLY get home from the gym tonight.

2014-01-07 7:48 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Hi, everyone - catching up a little here as my kids are on a 2-hour school delay (so I can't really get any work done right now)...and believe it or not, they are delayed for the COLD. Instead of having to go at 7:30 when it is 8F, they will have to go at 9:30 when it is 11F. Crazy school district!

Maggie - I hear you on the too much cake thing...we go from Christmas to my daughter's birthday on 1/4 and then to hubby's on 1/19. I did only eat cake on my daughter's actual birthday and let the fam grab the leftovers the next day. But two more weeks and I have to eat it again. And we buy good cake.

Marilyn - how's the daily score going?

Maria - somehow it slipped my attention (or memory?) that you are doing Raleigh 70.3...we'll have to meet up!

Rene - how are you doing with that Diet Dr. Pepper? Did you skip the Chic-Fil-A after swimming?

Beth - enjoy your visit...I know how important it is for you

Michelle - sorry to hear about the bursitis - hope you heal quickly.

Andrew - welcome back...sometimes it seems that having Xmas in the summer would be fun. Now that we live in the "southern" US, we don't have snow anyway - perhaps a beach holiday would be more enjoyable. And certainly more enjoyable than 8F.

Melissa, Tim, Cathy, George, Jim - hope things are going well today! (And also to anyone I forgot...don't have my second monitor hooked up and I didn't open up another window with the list - sorry. Don't mean to miss anyone!)
2014-01-07 7:49 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by mehaner

time to get real comfortable with each other - anyone having digestive issues switching to so much clean stuff after so much bad stuff (holidays).??

every time i eat my stomach gets a little upset and i'm uncomfortable for 30 minutes.  i'm guessing it's mostly to do with so much fiber being infused into the diet at once.

Yep! Me too. And then when I ate well for a few days and then had the pizza/cake/beer fiesta on Friday, that didn't feel so good either.
2014-01-07 7:50 AM

User image

Champion
So yesterday I didn't eat badly, but I didn't really eat well...

Food
6:45a
- egg, 2 chicken sausage links, 2 cuties, coffee
10:15a - dried apricots, pistachios
11:30a - turkey pepperoni, dried apricots, pistachios
4:00p - leftover bbq pork, carrots w/ guac
7:30p - protein shake (post-swim)
9:00p - leftover fish w/ crab stuffing, champagne
Water - 3

Eating at weird times, too much dried fruit & nuts, ugh. Trying today to be a lot better about eating, not snacking all day long. Anyone else have days like this?
2014-01-07 7:54 AM

User image

Champion
It sounds like a lot of you all are on pinterest or MyFitnessPal...if you want to share your pinterest boards and/or friend up on MFP, give us your handles.

I'm at Pinterest (http://www.pinterest.com/osengak/) - although not all my recipes are clean friendly.

I'm at MFP as well (osengak) - I haven't been logging the last few days (or consistently the last few weeks), but I will be starting up again tomorrow as part of a "Biggest Loser" challenge through the gym at my office.

2014-01-07 9:50 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario
I like the idea of posting our food in the thread if that is ok with others. Makes me feel much more accountable than logging it on BT or MFP where potentially no one else will see it. I'm planning to eat the same thing most days for breakfast and lunch - breakfast will be oatmeal and yogurt or 2 eggs and toast, lunch will be a big salad with egg, chicken or tuna for protein. Then only need to worry about dinner daily and try hard to avoid the evening snacking. Had my oatmeal already and packed a big salad for lunch and said no to the pizza my coworkers are ordering in. Have an apple and yogurt to snack on this afternoon and will probably have a sandwich when I get home. I work 12 hour shifts and one of my challenges is bringing the riht amount of food to work with me. If I don't bring enough I get tempted by the cafe/donut shop or vending machines. Our cafe has the best butter tarts in the world which are one of my weaknesses.How do you avoid evening snacking, and is your SO on board with clean/healthier eating?
2014-01-07 11:07 AM
in reply to: cathyd

User image

Veteran
Today's food:

breakfast:1/2 bag of spinach sauteed with peppers and a few breakfast sausages, coffee with cream
lunch: will be homemade chili with some sour cream and green beans
snack: will be a bit of cheddar and 2 clementines
dinner: will be salad with some chicken on it and a small bowl of cheddar brocolli soup

This looks a bit high in dairy to me. I'll have to work on that.

2014-01-07 11:26 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by cathyd How do you avoid evening snacking, and is your SO on board with clean/healthier eating?

i go to bed so early not much time between dinner and bed for snacking, hahaa!  if i do snack, just make it healthy.  i will literally suck on a tablespoon of natural PB while watching TV.  the fat is good for nighttime too, helping you sleep.

usually my husband is not so on board with me eating clean.  he doesn't eat unhealthy - but he doesn't eat well.  i do most of the shopping and cooking and usually just try to buy him snacks he likes but i don't so i'm not tempted.  right now though, he's all on board with eating my healthy cooking.  and not making requests for snacks, so that's pretty nice!  

2014-01-07 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by cathyd How do you avoid evening snacking, and is your SO on board with clean/healthier eating?

i go to bed so early not much time between dinner and bed for snacking, hahaa!  if i do snack, just make it healthy.  i will literally suck on a tablespoon of natural PB while watching TV.  the fat is good for nighttime too, helping you sleep.

usually my husband is not so on board with me eating clean.  he doesn't eat unhealthy - but he doesn't eat well.  i do most of the shopping and cooking and usually just try to buy him snacks he likes but i don't so i'm not tempted.  right now though, he's all on board with eating my healthy cooking.  and not making requests for snacks, so that's pretty nice!  

Does anyone have picky eating SOs and how do you deal with it?

I do the shopping/cooking for my wife and I, but she is a very picky eater and I will eat just about anything. She will try to eat good with me, but she has the palate of a 6yo (her words, not mine!). No asian food at all, won't eat eggs, limited on veggies, nothing spicy...I could go on. She has gotten a lot better (she didn't used to touch soup, but is venturing into it now), but it get's very old eating the same things regularly, or I have to make separate meals just for her. She tells me not to worry about her meals (she will end up with cereal or a tv dinner), but I don't feel right just making a meal just for me. I secretly like it when she goes out with her girls then I can whip up some homemade chinese food!
2014-01-07 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by cathyd

How do you avoid evening snacking, and is your SO on board with clean/healthier eating?

I actually try to snack in the evening, as I aspire to early training sessions (masters 2x week at 6am, and I'd love to be more diligent about getting some of my other workouts in before the day starts...one of my non-food goals).

As far as SO - he's totally on board which makes my life so much easier. I do all the cooking/shopping, so he was going to eat what I made anyway - but he's down with it. I do usually add a carb for him and the kids (noodles, rice, or bread) - but otherwise the whole family eats the same thing.

2014-01-07 11:50 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by cathyd

I like the idea of posting our food in the thread if that is ok with others. Makes me feel much more accountable than logging it on BT or MFP where potentially no one else will see it. I'm planning to eat the same thing most days for breakfast and lunch - breakfast will be oatmeal and yogurt or 2 eggs and toast, lunch will be a big salad with egg, chicken or tuna for protein. Then only need to worry about dinner daily and try hard to avoid the evening snacking. Had my oatmeal already and packed a big salad for lunch and said no to the pizza my coworkers are ordering in. Have an apple and yogurt to snack on this afternoon and will probably have a sandwich when I get home. I work 12 hour shifts and one of my challenges is bringing the riht amount of food to work with me. If I don't bring enough I get tempted by the cafe/donut shop or vending machines. Our cafe has the best butter tarts in the world which are one of my weaknesses.How do you avoid evening snacking, and is your SO on board with clean/healthier eating?

As far as posting - go for it! We're here to make you accountable.
2014-01-07 3:47 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

let's not drop to page 2 guys!!!

2014-01-07 5:31 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Originally posted by enders_shadow I'm loving the recipes, guys - thanks! Once I do my menu planning for the week, I'll share. Question - what are your eating goals for this coming week? Is there one nutritional thing you're focusing on or an overall plan?

Goal is CLEAN eating and getting lean!  I've done real well logging in the cron-o-meter.  As long as I keep logging, I can do this.  I've had no alcohol since January 1!  Also, trying to get into a consistent training routine again.  My training plan starts Monday, so then I'll really have to be accountable. 

Kristen - Yes, I'm registered for Raleigh 70.3!

As for Cathy's comment about evening snacking, It helps if I go to HealthPlex after work for spin or bodypump class (keeps me busy and my mind off food), then later sip on hot tea (usually homemade ginger root tea) or make a huge pot of hot chicken broth and sip on that.  Sipping a hot liquid takes longer, so I'm not hunting for something else while I'm sipping on hot tea or broth.

2014-01-07 9:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Marilyn - I have noticed some low grade intestinal discomfort lately. Not too much but definitely there for awhile. I haven't really paid attention to it so I'll have to be a bit more aware.

Your food planning looks very imaginative. I'm going to have to get more daring and imaginative pretty soon as well.

I just got home after my 1st cycling session of the year and I can't believe how hard it was after only two weeks off. Its all I can do to stay awake right now but on the plus side I'm now officially training for my June HIM (only 22 weeks away).
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 20303 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24944 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?
date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.

date : March 2, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 5
Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.
date : April 1, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.