BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-04-09 1:02 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2

Okay Manatees... if I could please ask for some good thoughts to go towards some good people... 

My mom emailed me on Monday night to say that she's pretty sure my dad is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's, but he refuses to go to the doctor.  He got lost going around the neighbourhood last week, didn't recognize my aunt, and has had a LOT of troubles with every day vocabulary stuff.  

My best friend in the world told me last night that she's having to have emergency surgery this week because she was suddenly diagnosed with breast cancer.  

I think I might be glad that Tony will be away this weekend so that I can have all the wine & popcorn I want with only the cats at home to stare at me and try to make me feel guilty.   

2014-04-09 1:05 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Okay Manatees... if I could please ask for some good thoughts to go towards some good people... 

My mom emailed me on Monday night to say that she's pretty sure my dad is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's, but he refuses to go to the doctor.  He got lost going around the neighbourhood last week, didn't recognize my aunt, and has had a LOT of troubles with every day vocabulary stuff.  

My best friend in the world told me last night that she's having to have emergency surgery this week because she was suddenly diagnosed with breast cancer.  

I think I might be glad that Tony will be away this weekend so that I can have all the wine & popcorn I want with only the cats at home to stare at me and try to make me feel guilty.   

Aw man. I am really, really sorry to hear that.

I've got nothing else. But definately thinking positive for you. 

2014-04-09 1:10 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Big hugs to you, Monica.  What a rough way to end the week.  Sending lots of healing thoughts to you, your family, and your friend. 

The cats won't be staring to make you feel guilty; they'll be gazing at you with loving eyes because you're eating buttered popcorn.

2014-04-09 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Monica, we may not be there for you, but we are here for you. I am keeping you and yours in my heart, mind, thoughts, and prayers.

2014-04-09 1:17 PM

Master
Northern IL
2014-04-09 1:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Well, that is just poopy! I will definitely send good thoughts to your family and friend. Btw, if this just came upon your dad recently it may be something other than Alzheimer's , so hopefully your mom can get him in to see a doctor soon.

those cats should not be able to make you feel guilty for your wine and popcorn bonanza, afterall they eat rats and chase laser lights!

Edited by amd723 2014-04-09 1:22 PM

2014-04-09 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Good thoughts for both your dad and your friend.  {{hugs}}

2014-04-09 1:38 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Thanks everyone!  

Funny but the cats have NO desire to eat anything but cat food.  And only beef in gravy... no fish, no chicken, no anything other than BEEF.  Weirdos.  Oh well, I guess it means that I don't have to share!

Hands-Marie, sadly this wasn't sudden.  It's been coming on for a looooong time, but my dad refuses to face it, and my mom doesn't want to force him to go to the doctor.  They can't find any more excuses, so it's time to go to the doctor! 

I know most of us haven't actually "met", but you all are a part of my every day life, and therefore I consider you to be part of my family whether you want to be or not.  Thank you so much.  

2014-04-09 1:43 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

You got it!
2014-04-09 1:50 PM

User image

Seattle

Thanks everyone!  

Funny but the cats have NO desire to eat anything but cat food.  And only beef in gravy... no fish, no chicken, no anything other than BEEF.  Weirdos.  Oh well, I guess it means that I don't have to share!

Hands-Marie, sadly this wasn't sudden.  It's been coming on for a looooong time, but my dad refuses to face it, and my mom doesn't want to force him to go to the doctor.  They can't find any more excuses, so it's time to go to the doctor! 

I know most of us haven't actually "met", but you all are a part of my every day life, and therefore I consider you to be part of my family whether you want to be or not.  Thank you so much.  

I first read it as YOU had no desire to eat anything but cat food.

I was about to launch into a story about how much I love cat food myself.... but uhhhh nevermind. 

2014-04-09 2:07 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Your wish is my command.  Good thoughts headed toward your family and friend.

Mmmm, wine and popcorn...

2014-04-09 2:17 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Thanks everyone!  

I was about to launch into a story about how much I love cat food myself.... but uhhhh nevermind. 

My brother did try to tell me it was a new kind of cereal when we were little...  

2014-04-09 2:21 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thanks everyone!  

Why am I not surprised?

2014-04-09 2:23 PM

User image

Seattle

Thanks everyone!  

My brother did try to tell me it was a new kind of cereal when we were little...  

I got busted for grazing the bulk bins at the grocery store as a child

2014-04-09 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Thanks everyone!  

I didn't know cat food was in the bulk bins
2014-04-09 3:06 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Thanks everyone!  

It's true, I interact with the manatees more frequently than I do some of my family and IRL friends.

2014-04-09 3:12 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by amd723

Thanks everyone!  

I didn't know cat food was in the bulk bins

Yes ma'am. Well, it used to be. I don't know of any that do it anymore. They hot dog food and treats, too. Not as salty though

2014-04-09 3:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Ugh, Monica - just ugh…  So sorry to hear all that, and so much at once.  My thoughts are with you.

<bending will upon the universe for you>

As for pet food, I'll just say that Milk Bonz aren't, as I remember, all that bad… A little chalky.  Cat food?  Just stay away from the old canned stuff and you'll be fine.  

Matt

2014-04-09 3:37 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Thanks everyone!  

True confession:  I once ate some cat food off my friend's garage floor, thinking it was cereal (I must have been 4 or 5 at the time).  Why I thought it would be okay to eat cereal off the garage floor is beyond me, but there you have it.  I also tried a green Milk Bone - very bland.  I don't THINK either had any lasting effects, but I'm not sure I can be the judge of that....

2014-04-09 3:51 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by laffinrock

Thanks everyone!  

True confession:  I once ate some cat food off my friend's garage floor, thinking it was cereal (I must have been 4 or 5 at the time).  Why I thought it would be okay to eat cereal off the garage floor is beyond me, but there you have it.  I also tried a green Milk Bone - very bland.  I don't THINK either had any lasting effects, but I'm not sure I can be the judge of that....

Cereal off the garage floor seems reasonable to me.

2014-04-09 3:58 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Ugh, Monica - just ugh…  So sorry to hear all that, and so much at once.  My thoughts are with you.

As for pet food, I'll just say that Milk Bonz aren't, as I remember, all that bad… A little chalky.  Cat food?  Just stay away from the old canned stuff and you'll be fine.  

Matt

Lol - I think I've tried every colour of Milk Bone just to see if they were different flavours.  

FYI - they aren't.   

2014-04-09 4:40 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Sorry to hear Monica
2014-04-09 6:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
East Texas
OK Race Report Is Done

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by JJ- 2014-04-09 7:08 PM
2014-04-09 9:47 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by JJ-

Sorry to hear Monica

Oh, Tangerines. {TANGEMELONS SNUGGLES}, lots, however much and long you need. Your friend, is that Liane? In any case, light love and prayers for her.

About your dad ... well ... I've been there. It's not good no matter what, but going to the doctor can rule out and rule in possibilities, of which there are many regarding dementia. I wish you and your family much strength, creativity, and even laughter. I'm not sure anything else really helps that inevitable journey most of us take walking our parents back through childlikeness. At least we got some gross cat and dog food stories

2014-04-10 12:40 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Matt

Lol - I think I've tried every colour of Milk Bone just to see if they were different flavours.  

FYI - they aren't.   

I've long wondered if different colors meant different flavors, thanks for solving a life-long question!  Woof!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 63859 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 27611 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 16248 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 99243 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.