General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you just have "it" or not? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-05-24 1:52 PM
in reply to: #815456

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Do you just have "it" or not?
BikerGrrrl - 2007-05-24 12:55 PM Now, if someone out there thinks they can coach me to a BQ marathon, I'm willing to give it a try. But I don't think I have that measure of "IT". Well, maybe when I am about 65 (I'm 30 now) because the rate of improvement might eventually meet the BQ standard which is a lot easier for a 65 year old woman than a 30 yo. So I've got that going for me.
I'll take you upon the challenge if you are willing to train consistently, be patient and of course to pay for my fees

2007-05-24 1:52 PM
in reply to: #815475

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
amiine - 2007-05-24 12:06 PM

Anyway, since work today is slow (at least that's my excuse ) I put together a table of my annual training totals since I began my tri journey, with PRs for all 3 sports and some notes. I had no prior swim/bike/run experience beyond playing soccer for 10 years until the age of 17, after that I basically spend  the end of highschool, college and grad school partying/socializing, drinking, smoking and eating lots of crap!

Notes

Year

Annual Training Totals

PRs

Bike

Run

Swim

Swim 100

Bike split same Tri race

(15 miles) raced every year

Run 10K

1st year I began tri training on June

572.67 Mi - 37h 18m 01s

380.40 Mi - 49h 13m 56s

22300.00 Yd - 8h 17m 05s

1:40

19.01mph

46 min

Pace: 16.70 Mi/hr

Pace: 7m 46s Mi

Pace: 1m 42s /100 Yd 

I hired my coach on June but was stubborn and not followed all his advice 100%

2041.06 Mi - 149h 56m 39s

766.98 Mi - 109h 56m 07s

169923.40 Yd - 55h 39m 31s

1:25

21.62 mph

39:50 min

Pace: 17.37 Mi/hr

Pace: 7m 34s Mi

Pace: 1m 49s /100 Yd 

1st year following my coach's advice 100%. Due to health issues didn’t train Sept to Dec

3449.64 Mi - 209h 23m 18s

589.75 Mi - 88h 53m 33s

234651.00 Yd - 69h 55m 37s

1:10

24.07 mph

33:20 min

Pace: 17.69 Mi/hr

Pace: 7m 13s Mi

Pace: 1m 41s /100 Yd 

January to date

1287.64 Mi - 76h 10m 56s

343.15 Mi - 45h 45m 12s

200261.80 Yd - 54h 33m 14s

1:07

?

?

Pace: 18.04 Mi/hr

Pace: 6m 58s Mi

Pace: 1m 37s /100 Yd 

Do I just have IT or does training lots and smart works? Maybe a bit of both? The truth is that I might be a bit faster than some around here but I am still slow compared against many placing ahead of me. I am not sure how close I can get to the top, but I do know I am going to continue training LOTS to find out! My point: I think many could positively surprise theirselves of how far they can get with consistent training. 

I am sure we can find several examples around, so who else wanna share their data?

Do you have IT?  Well considering in your first "Slow" year, you were already able to run a sub 8 10K and I have only once in all the (probably 30+) 5ks I've done have only been sub 8 twice in my life, once at sea level and once when I was in the best shape ever.  I'd say you have a fair share of IT. 

I used to speed skate when I was younger.  I could always skate long distances, but was never the fastest so sprinting wasn't for me. 

I think everyone has some "IT", it just may not be in triathlon.  Maybe it's in computers, teaching, crime investigation.  But not everyone can be great at everything, even if they put in the work.  Everything (jobs, sports, etc), will always have some people that are "Rockstars".  Not everyone can be a rockstar.

2007-05-24 1:56 PM
in reply to: #815216

Elite
Daremo - 2007-05-24 10:14 AM

MY old boss who owns the bike shop I (used to work at) frequent was telling me about the Giant rep. that used to cover our territory and how he got an invitation from the T-Mobile group to come and take part in the ir early season training camp.  The guy was a decent Cat. 2 out of California, so he certainly wasn't some slow poke.

And you know what he said?  That day in and day out they would get up, hop on their bikes as a team and go out for anywhere from 110 - 150 mile rides.  And they barely ever cracked 17 or 18 mph.  Just good, consistent training day in and day out.  The rep. said that the first few days weren't bad, but by the 4th he was regretting his decision.  But he kept at it.

My point is that even the pros just get out there and put the easy miles in because that is what they have to do.  THAT is why they are fast, not purely genetics.

Rick - This is very interesting about the T-mobile team. However, are you trying to imply that anyone, say your regular MOP triathlete, would have the physical ability to just go out and do 110-150 miles every day, day in and day out, at 17-18 mph without some pretty high-percentile natural talent?

(just talking about the ability, not the time management aspect)

PS: For me, this the most interesting thread on BT in a long time and I find it highly motivating.

2007-05-24 1:58 PM
in reply to: #815475

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
amiine - 2007-05-24 1:06 PM

I put together a table of my annual training totals since I began my tri journey, with PRs for all 3 sports and some notes. I had no prior swim/bike/run experience beyond playing soccer for 10 years until the age of 17, after that I basically spend  the end of highschool, college and grad school partying/socializing, drinking, smoking and eating lots of crap!

Bingo! That's one. I was just thinking during my lunchtime run what I haven't seen from this thread-- now 125 posts in-- are many of the examples I asked for in my OP. In fact, there's only been 3 or 4, including bear's and kathyG's which really center on dramatic improvement on cycling in particular. I think those lack of examples of MOP'ers who moved up into the Top 10% speaks volumes. But Jorge's example provides strong evidence to the contrary. That's the ray of hope I was looking for.

Edited by scoobysdad 2007-05-24 2:00 PM
2007-05-24 2:09 PM
in reply to: #815595

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

ScottoNM - 2007-05-24 2:56 PM

Rick - This is very interesting about the T-mobile team. However, are you trying to imply that anyone, say your regular MOP triathlete, would have the physical ability to just go out and do 110-150 miles every day, day in and day out, at 17-18 mph without some pretty high-percentile natural talent?

PS: For me, this the most interesting thread on BT in a long time and I find it highly motivating.

No.  More in line with the fact that it takes consistent training to get to that level.  People tend to think the pros are out there hammering day in and day out when in reality they are out there bored out of their skulls for 5 - 8 hours at a time because that is what they need to do to get there.

If people put in even 1+ hour average a day (averaged out ove the whole week) then they would be getting in 7 - 10 a week.  And that is more than doable with a normal life.

For those that don't know, I'm married, sole income maker for the house, with three young boys (7, 4, 1), and commute to work about 40 minutes each way.  Yet even on a "bad" week I'll still manage about 6 hours of training a week.  "Good" weeks will see up to the 10 - 12 range.  And all of that is solely morning and some evenings.  I don't train at lunch, and only get out in the evening maybe twice a week.

JohnnyKay has an even more aggressive schedule and if you look at his logs you can see what sort of workouts he's getting in ...... with three kids of his own and married!

Edited by Daremo 2007-05-24 2:11 PM
2007-05-24 2:10 PM
in reply to: #815595

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
ScottoNM - 2007-05-24 1:56 PM
Daremo - 2007-05-24 10:14 AM

MY old boss who owns the bike shop I (used to work at) frequent was telling me about the Giant rep. that used to cover our territory and how he got an invitation from the T-Mobile group to come and take part in the ir early season training camp.  The guy was a decent Cat. 2 out of California, so he certainly wasn't some slow poke.

And you know what he said?  That day in and day out they would get up, hop on their bikes as a team and go out for anywhere from 110 - 150 mile rides.  And they barely ever cracked 17 or 18 mph.  Just good, consistent training day in and day out.  The rep. said that the first few days weren't bad, but by the 4th he was regretting his decision.  But he kept at it.

My point is that even the pros just get out there and put the easy miles in because that is what they have to do.  THAT is why they are fast, not purely genetics.

I dont think many folks if any just hop on a bike and that happens like that.  I think with those vols you can safely say peeps are working their azzes off to get there.

2007-05-24 2:12 PM
in reply to: #815271

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

scoobysdad - 2007-05-24 11:37 AM  In my prep for my first HIM, I have been putting in 8 - 13 hour weeks, focusing on more LSD. In my first 3 years, I was doing only sprints and Oly's, and my runs were more of the 35 - min. variety. Now I'm following a BT HIM plan, and I usually have one weekly run of at least the 2-hour variety. I realize this sort of training will not get me to Top 10% of my AG. And as I stated I have seen improvements. But the fact is, I just finished 123/168 in my AG-- a little worse than I've fared in the past. True, I had a disastrous run at this particular race. But even with a run i know I'm capable of right now I might have finished 105/168. That's not real inspiring for any hope of ever finishing Top 10%. That's just being realistic. I suspect I do not have "IT" for this sport because I was always a slower kid growing up, always struggled with windsprints, runs around the field, etc. in comparison to other kids. I could always make up for these deficiencies in other sports by having very good hand-eye coordination and through lots of extra practice. In this sport, those deficiencies are impossible to cover up. As further evidence, I know people who have come to this sport later than I did, put in less training than I do, and yet still finish significantly faster. Thanks to BT, I can also look at the logs of others and see plenty of people who work less and perform better. I also think part of the "IT" factor is having the sheer natural ability to put in more training time. Right now, I simply couldn't put in more time because my workouts leave me exhausted, sore and in need of recovery. I suspect part of "IT" is the ability to recover faster tahn others. Some of that surely comes with better fitness, but I think it's also in large part genetic.

OK scoob, I'll admit I peeked before I asked this question.  Please don't take any of this as "picking" on you or your training.  I have no idea about your priorities or other life commitments.  And I looked only at aggregate volume--no idea of workout details or even sport split.  Just some observations:

So you've upped your volume over the last 3 months.  But for several months before that I see maybe 4-5 hours.  Last summer maybe you average 6 or 7 with a few bigger ones (guessing long bikes, but I didn't check details).  Again, several months before that 2 or 3 hours per week.  Like you noted, that's probably not enough to get you to top 10% in aggregate.  But even the recent ramp-up isn't long enough to make any kind of judgement on your potential.  You're still building base.

Being a "slower" kid growing up is jsut sill--sorry.  If you ever met me as a kid you would never pick me out as fast.  Just determined.  And "speed" is virtually irrelevant for most triathlons.  It doesn't matter how fast you can run 100m.  It matters how long you can hold a steady pace, i.e., endurance.

As to your evidence of others doing more with less.  Sure, some people have more natural ability.  Some may have a better background.  They won't have to work as hard as you to get the same results.  That doesn't mean you can't get to their level if you continue to work harder than them.

If your workouts leave you exhausted and in need of recovery, you either (a) have other non-training stresses that are a constraining factor or (b) aren't at a level where you can tackle your current workouts (I see that despite your volume ramp you're still below the "planned" volume--don't know the reasoning of course, just another note). 

This is a really long way of saying that I can't imagine you have any way to guage whether or not you have enough of "it" to reach the top 10% of your AG in time.  And I see your feelings echoed by many others who use not having "it" as a crutch to explain their performances in various ways (e.g., see it in the weightloss thread all the time where person x says they could never get below y weight because they've always been bigger.)  If top10% seems too lofty a goal today, make it top 33% for now.  Then 25%.  Then 15%.  I guarantee, if you want it bad enough, you could do it in time.  (Of course, many people don't want it "bad enough" and there's nothing wrong at all with that--may even be good for most. )

2007-05-24 2:17 PM
in reply to: #814843

Elite

hangloose - 2007-05-24 7:25 AM  If we fast forward 15 years and make them triathletes training at a high level, I have a hard time believing that Jack could be competitive with Nik given the natural advantage Nik seems to have now.

Hangloose - I would not jump to that conclusion.

I am starting to coach an age 4-8 track program so I have been reading quite a bit about kids' athletic development. At age 7, kids have a wide wide range of ability just based on the fact that some kids develop more quickly than others. Most of what I have read suggests that conclusions drawn about future athletic prowess prior to puberty can tend to be very inaccurate. As always, there will be exceptions either way.

2007-05-24 2:17 PM
in reply to: #814012

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-05-24 2:18 PM

Veteran
Lexington, KY
Well, as for me, I believe that "it" is a little bit of both worlds (talent and willingness to put in the hours).

Some people may need to train less than others to see equivalent (or even superior) results. That doesn't mean that the hard worker is untalented, or that the talented triathlete is lazy, they each just have their individual abilities and strengths. The work - improvement graph is a curve, not a line.

Still, I think the key is that one should not fall into the trap that their current level of performance is the absolute best that they can do. Perhaps it is the best that they can do given the amount of time they are willing to devote to training, or that the amount of additional work needed to get significantly better is disproportionally large to the improved outcome. The longer and better you train, the more closely you will get to that asymptote of your "best" performance. Any further work, no matter how large, will result in less and less actual improvement.

For example, I may get a bit faster if I doubled my training time, but I am unwilling to do so. In my view, I already have a job, and this is a hobby. While I truly enjoy it, to further increase my training involves spending even more time away from my family, and I just don't want to do that. No hard feelings, just the facts.

Best of luck to everyone.
2007-05-24 2:21 PM

Elite

Put me down squarely in the "it takes both effort and ability to be an elite" camp.

Look, all of us have natural talent of one kind or another. I have many natural gifts, but endurance sports is not one of them. However, that's one of the reasons I like triathlon training. It's a challenge for me. It's going to be a long time before I max out my natural ability.

On the other hand, calculus has been boring for a long time. Cool

2007-05-24 2:25 PM
in reply to: #815642

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
JohnnyKay - 2007-05-24 2:12 PM

This is a really long way of saying that I can't imagine you have any way to guage whether or not you have enough of "it" to reach the top 10% of your AG in time.  And I see your feelings echoed by many others who use not having "it" as a crutch to explain their performances in various ways (e.g., see it in the weightloss thread all the time where person x says they could never get below y weight because they've always been bigger.)  If top10% seems too lofty a goal today, make it top 33% for now.  Then 25%.  Then 15%.  I guarantee, if you want it bad enough, you could do it in time.  (Of course, many people don't want it "bad enough" and there's nothing wrong at all with that--may even be good for most. )

A fair assessment, no doubt, JK. Thanks. And I have no doubts that if I work harder I will continue to improve-- to what extent... hard to say. But I do intend to find out.

2007-05-24 2:25 PM
in reply to: #815657

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-05-24 2:30 PM

Master
Loughborough, England
Your genes may set the upper limit (and how quickly you can get there) but you have to bust your a$$ and train like a madman to get there.
2007-05-24 2:34 PM
in reply to: #815605

Not a Coach
Media, PA

scoobysdad - 2007-05-24 1:58 PM
amiine - 2007-05-24 1:06 PM I put together a table of my annual training totals since I began my tri journey, with PRs for all 3 sports and some notes. I had no prior swim/bike/run experience beyond playing soccer for 10 years until the age of 17, after that I basically spend the end of highschool, college and grad school partying/socializing, drinking, smoking and eating lots of crap!
Bingo! That's one. I was just thinking during my lunchtime run what I haven't seen from this thread-- now 125 posts in-- are many of the examples I asked for in my OP. In fact, there's only been 3 or 4, including bear's and kathyG's which really center on dramatic improvement on cycling in particular. I think those lack of examples of MOP'ers who moved up into the Top 10% speaks volumes. But Jorge's example provides strong evidence to the contrary. That's the ray of hope I was looking for.

Well, I did the work on your logs.  You can do the work on mine.  I started swimming & running in Sept. 2004.  Everything I've done training-wise is in my logs.  My only "background" was that I was a very good rower in HS in college about 15 years before I started tris.  I was easily 15lbs overweight (down 25 since then) and out of shape when I started.  I'm probably not top 10% in strong fields the way Jorge is, but I'm getting very close.

I don't really know what this tells you though.  What it tells me is that with consistent work, you can get better.  Imagine that! 

2007-05-24 2:42 PM

Master
Houston, TX
I think when genetics really start to come into play is when you really start to tap the top end of the sport, which is faster then most of us will ever become.

Good solid, smart training will take you further then anything else. I've improved quite a bit in the last year(heck only been doing this for 15months or so) on my own, no coaches. But I do listen to guys/gals who have been doing this for a long time and some have made it to elite levels currently or in the past. Then I come up with my own schedule base off what I've learned and want to do, I still prefer to have fun so my schedule isn't perfect for the sake of fun. I'm starting out focusing on shorter races till I can place high(overall) in sprints/olypmics then I'll start thinking about a HIM or maybe a IM. I think too many people focus too much on distance and just grinding out mileage at slow paces, and then wonder why they can't compete in speed.

I'm not perfect by far, but I try to be steady with my workouts and push hard when I can and take it easy when my body tells me to.

Last thing, I think really knowing how to push your body to perfection is key(in training, but more importantly races).
I know guys who I train with and we are very close to each other in condition. Just they have alot more expeirence and they seem to get me in races.

Edited by smilford 2007-05-24 2:51 PM

2007-05-24 2:42 PM
in reply to: #815661

Coach
Boston, MA

lvthgme - 2007-05-24 2:17 PM  I think a better question might be "Can a person develop 'it'?" I think in most cases a person can develop "it," but not without much sacrifice. And sometimes one doesn't even know what needs to be sacrificed to get "it." THAT is a big part of the challenge I think.

That's exactly the point I am trying to make in particular at our level (AG) How important is for YOU to improve in this sport. For some BTers Tris represents a lifestyle and for others it is just hobby and that marks a BIG difference. Some of us strive to be the best we can be within the sport and we are willing to make many sacrifices which for those who consider it a hobby just don’t make sense.

I am single, I rarely go out socializing with my non-tri friends, I do stuff with tri friends but it is training oriented, I use my spare time for coaching/training/resting and plan my vacations around racing. Why? Because that’s what makes sense to me right now because it makes me feel good physically and mentally, because It gives me energy and most important because it makes ME HAPPY! For someone else, spending time with their kids, spouses, traveling, working, studying, playing music, golf, painting, etc is what makes them happy and that’s what make sense to them.

IOW if your priorities are such that Tri training takes a 2nd, 3rd, 4th rank of importance then I can understand why you won’t improve. But don’t blame your tri performances on the “IT” factor, because at the end of the day that has nothing to do with it.

(This is for everyone – AGAIN, KEEP IN MIND THAT I AM TALKING ABOUT AGers AND NOT ELITE ATHLETES)

2007-05-24 2:51 PM
in reply to: #815661

lvthgme - 2007-05-24 2:17 PM

Very interesting thread. I've had such a range of thoughts while reading it...

My theory on older (than me) people in tri being so common/good is that many of the people my age (28) are still playing team sports competitively. The older one gets, the fewer people there are to play those games with so...people might tend toward individual sports more. Just a theory.

I agree - I am transitioning into Triathlons because I am aging out of my main sport, skateboarding. My knees and bones can't take the impact of jumping down sixteen steps any more, and a bone break doesn't take me out of high school anymore, where it doesn't really matter if you are there or not (at least, uh...me and my friends. My parents would tell you differently.) I deff did -not- take care of myself at that point, it was go go go, slam slam slam...

I picked triathlons because they are not easy. I mean, they can be easy if you want them to be, but they don't have to be easy. I wanted to be challenged. The older I get, the less shred sessions there are, so I needed people to do something else with...

lvthgme - 2007-05-24 2:17 PM

I think a better question might be "Can a person develop 'it'?" I think in most cases a person can develop "it," but not without much sacrifice. And sometimes one doesn't even know what needs to be sacrificed to get "it." THAT is a big part of the challenge I think.

I believe that people can develop something close to "it" but there will always be people with bodies that never really acclimate to endurance, classical ballet, skateboarding, any sort of sport. But love and determination can get you pretty far. You can only develop "it" by immersing yourself in what it takes to have "it." (duh)

"it" is also a variable - what is "it" for you? I mean not everyone gets to be an elite athlete. When I was figure skating as a kid, the "it" kids didn't have freinds outside the rink and you were still neck and neck with those people. The "it" kids didn't go to normal schools, have birthday parties and weeks where they were not falling down. It's sacrifice to get there. It won't take you far, it may get your foot in the door but total immersion, work, time spent will get you the rest of the way. Is that it for you?

Maybe "it" is the ability to finish. I mean, at this point I just want to finish. I look at people who finish and I'm like "woah! They finished!" The ability to finish is "it." this may change when I get older/learn more about it, but One person's "it" is another persons "not it" (Now I sound like we are playing a game of tag...)

I'm young, I have, by the books, another 10 years before I peak for endurance sports. Your "it" can also, biologically develop as you get to be in different places. If I stick with this, by the time I'm ready to max my skillz as a triathlon ninja, I will have ten years of experience that will help me. Some might mistakenly call those ten years "it," but it will really have been practice, time spent, and immersion in the sport.
2007-05-24 2:58 PM
in reply to: #814843

Hawai'i
hangloose - 2007-05-24 3:25 AM
My 7yo son and his best friend are great examples of this.  They are both athletic, play the same sports, play together a lot, same classroom at school, etc.  Very similar lives and upbringings (I am also the boys' soccer coach for 2 years now).  Yet, Nik is way faster than my son Jack.

Jack is lucky to have Nik around. I grew up with my best friend being a year older and naturally gifted. This kid did everything better than me and never took it easy. He got 11 varsity letters in High School, started all four years in college and generally wast just good at what he did. I chased him my entire life, he was always better than me. He was a better surfer, he was faster, he could jump higher, he always beat me in basketball. There was nothing I could do better than him athletically. At one point in High School I tried to blame it on him being older, but he was just better. The great thing is that I got better at everything as well. I had to push myself so I didn't get left behind. It was funny in college when we both did weightlifting he pulled the genetics card on me. I was taller and had broader shoulders and muscle came quick for me. It was a funny turn of events. I hope every kid has someone better to chase. Even Tiger Woods has Jack Niklaus.
2007-05-24 3:17 PM
in reply to: #815734

Champion
No excuses!
amiine - 2007-05-24 3:42 PM

lvthgme - 2007-05-24 2:17 PM  I think a better question might be "Can a person develop 'it'?" I think in most cases a person can develop "it," but not without much sacrifice. And sometimes one doesn't even know what needs to be sacrificed to get "it." THAT is a big part of the challenge I think.

That's exactly the point I am trying to make in particular at our level (AG) How important is for YOU to improve in this sport. For some BTers Tris represents a lifestyle and for others it is just hobby and that marks a BIG difference. Some of us strive to be the best we can be within the sport and we are willing to make many sacrifices which for those who consider it a hobby just don’t make sense.

I am single, I rarely go out socializing with my non-tri friends, I do stuff with tri friends but it is training oriented, I use my spare time for coaching/training/resting and plan my vacations around racing. Why? Because that’s what makes sense to me right now because it makes me feel good physically and mentally, because It gives me energy and most important because it makes ME HAPPY! For someone else, spending time with their kids, spouses, traveling, working, studying, playing music, golf, painting, etc is what makes them happy and that’s what make sense to them.

IOW if your priorities are such that Tri training takes a 2nd, 3rd, 4th rank of importance then I can understand why you won’t improve. But don’t blame your tri performances on the “IT” factor, because at the end of the day that has nothing to do with it.

(This is for everyone – AGAIN, KEEP IN MIND THAT I AM TALKING ABOUT AGers AND NOT ELITE ATHLETES)

DEAD ON!!!! Very well put!
2007-05-24 3:24 PM
in reply to: #815709

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
JohnnyKay - 2007-05-24 2:34 PM

Well, I did the work on your logs.  You can do the work on mine.  I started swimming & running in Sept. 2004.  Everything I've done training-wise is in my logs.  My only "background" was that I was a very good rower in HS in college about 15 years before I started tris.  I was easily 15lbs overweight (down 25 since then) and out of shape when I started.  I'm probably not top 10% in strong fields the way Jorge is, but I'm getting very close.

I don't really know what this tells you though.  What it tells me is that with consistent work, you can get better.  Imagine that! 

That is impressive, man. Consistent as a clock, day in/day out, week in/week out. And at considerable volume. You're the role model Charles Barkley never wanted to be for me.

The only flip side is that you've put in that kind of work for three years and still aren't Top 10%. That's both depressing and inspiring-- tells me you probably didn't, like me, have a lot of "IT" to begin with, and tells me I have a lot of work ahead to develop "IT".

2007-05-24 3:28 PM
in reply to: #815837

Pro
Libertyville, IL
scoobysdad - 2007-05-24 3:24 PM

That is impressive, man. Consistent as a clock, day in/day out, week in/week out. And at considerable volume. You're the role model Charles Barkley never wanted to be for me. The only flip side is that you've put in that kind of work for three years and still aren't Top 10%. That's both depressing and inspiring-- tells me you probably didn't, like me, have a lot of "IT" to begin with, and tells me I have a lot of work ahead to develop "IT".

nobody said 'It' was easy.   Mad props to Johnny K as a role model to the dudes training with kids.  I wanna be like him when I grow up (still paying my dues though...)

2007-05-24 3:34 PM
in reply to: #815837

Not a Coach
Media, PA
scoobysdad - 2007-05-24 3:24 PM

Well, I did the work on your logs. You can do the work on mine. I started swimming & running in Sept. 2004. Everything I've done training-wise is in my logs. My only "background" was that I was a very good rower in HS in college about 15 years before I started tris. I was easily 15lbs overweight (down 25 since then) and out of shape when I started. I'm probably not top 10% in strong fields the way Jorge is, but I'm getting very close.

I don't really know what this tells you though. What it tells me is that with consistent work, you can get better. Imagine that! :)

That is impressive, man. Consistent as a clock, day in/day out, week in/week out. And at considerable volume. You're the role model Charles Barkley never wanted to be for me. The only flip side is that you've put in that kind of work for three years and still aren't Top 10%. That's both depressing and inspiring-- tells me you probably didn't, like me, have a lot of "IT" to begin with, and tells me I have a lot of work ahead to develop "IT".

Maybe we just have different expectations. I've been pretty pleased with my progress. :)

Edited by JohnnyKay 2007-05-24 3:35 PM
2007-05-24 3:50 PM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Cough cough ...... top 5 overall and AG winner at a hellacious HIM last weekend ...... cough cough .....

JohnnyKay is too modest as always.

2007-05-24 3:52 PM
in reply to: #815932

Runner

For anyone interested, since we got on the topic of BQ'ing, here's an article from Running Times, talking about what is needed for different time goals in terms of mileage and such.

http://runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=9906&page=2&c=2 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you just have "it" or not? Rss Feed  

of 8