BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-05-18 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
Steve, what a nice brother you are and great carpenter.. 

It looks like everyone had great races over the weekend.  Congrats!

2009-05-18 4:21 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
LOL, I am seriously considering partying instead of racing, or maybe going faster to get back to the eating and drinking.  Bringing the kids, they might not want to leave.

Latest e-mail from race director of mooseman.

NEW FINISH LINE
You should feel like a rock star when you finish, and that was hard to do where the finish line was in the past. We’ve moved it to a new spot, which will be great for the spectators as you cruise down the 50 yard long finish line chute, with folks cheering you on! Cowbells will be a’clanking, signs will be a flashin’, the Mouth of the South, Adam Reiser, will be bringing you home, down the new carpeted finish line chute!

After you finish, make sure you grab your medal, aluminum finisher’s bottle and finisher’s towel. Half Iron folks will also be receiving a spiffy organic cotton Finishers Shirt…..Then, head to the new RECOVERY ZONE we’ve got set up for you. It’ll be right beyond the dechipping area, and will have fruit, Cabot’s Cheese, crackers, flavorice pops, recovery bars, a misting tent and more. This isn’t your main meal, but just a place to grab a quick bit of sustenance, before the….

MAIN MEAL
Alexandria Fire Department will be there for the cookout with all of the fixin’s and the addition of New England Clam Chowdah provided by Seawatch International. There will also be Jordan’s Homemade Ice Cream, Stonyfield Farm Yogurt, Vitamin Water, Pepsi and more. Following that, head over for…

MARGARITAS ALA MOOSEMAN!

The Homestead Restaurant will be providing complimentary Margaritas and we’ll also have Coors Light beer, in our version of Margaritaville, by way of New England. Make sure you hang onto your bib #, as it’ll be marked when you enter. Music will be playing, tiki torches burning, and you’ll be able to hang out on the beach while watching your fellow competitors finish their race.

Of course, the adults can’t have all of the fun. The KIDS ZONE will be a beehive of activity for the kiddos during the day, with 2 Nintendo Wii’s set up, a MooseMovie Area with a large selection of DVDs to watch, facepainting, booknook, and a bunch of other activities available. There will also be the Saucony Inspiration Station, for kids to make signs that we’ll put on the Saucony Inspiration Alley. Ahhhh, and there’s the coloring contest, too. Your kids can show their artistic talents off by coloring Bonk The Moose. We’ll send the judges around to choose the best ones! We’re going to fence this area in, with only one way in/out. This will make it easier for parents to keep an eye on their children, while enjoying the day themselves.

Since eating is the 4th discipline of triathlon, we’re also going to have a pie-eating contest for the children, taking place just before the awards ceremony each day. Sign in at the KIDS ZONE. We’ll have the BIG KIDS and SMALL KIDS competition, with different sized pies for each.

MOOSEMAN GENERAL STORE
Keep an eye out for Bonk The Moose, he’ll be patrolling Wellington State Park looking for kiddos to hand out his precious MooseMOOLA bucks. Exchange the bucks for goodies at the GENERAL STORE, located in the Expo Area.

MOOSECALF KIDS 1K FUN RUN

Have the kids join us for the inaugural 1K Fun Run Saturday afternoon. If you register right away, your kid will be able to get a groovy t-shirt and medal!

LIVE WEBCAST

Yup, the races will be broadcast live on our new Tel-E-Vision, at www.moosemantriathlon.com. Make sure to tell all of your family and friends who won’t be able to join you this year to tune in. We’ll have live coverage from the swim, bike, run, and finish line. With the help of MetroCast Cablevision, it’s also looking good that we’ll have live feeds from Devil’s Hill. Make sure you smile.

Following the race, the footage will be archived, for you to watch at home.

Course Preview videos were also shot a few weeks back. They’re being edited now, but will be available for viewing on Tel-E-Vision shortly. Both the run and bike courses will be available.

MYATHLETE GPS TRACKING

MYATHLETE will be onsite, and will be offering real-time tracking of you ON THE COURSE. Family and friends will be able to watch from the race site, and be able to follow your exact location on course. MyAthlete will have viewing stations with televisions set up at the race site. Family and friends also have the ability to watch you race from the comforts of their home, on their computer, too. Be sure to stop by the MyAthlete Tracking Tent at the Expo to rent your GPS Tracking Unit.

DRY CLOTHES BAGS
Out of consideration for the other athletes still racing, you won’t be able to get back into transition until all bikes have returned to T2. If you want to have something to put on while waiting to get back in to transition, grab a bag from the DRY CLOTHES BAGS tent, located near the finish line. Just label the bag, and place any clothing items you might want in it. Then, place your bag in it’s appropriate row in the tent. You’ll have access to it immediately after you finish your race.

BUST A MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE
Are you the master of the watersprinkler? The Can Opener? The Grenade launch? Celebrate your finish by showing us your best moves! As you cross the finish line, we’ll have judges judging your finish line dance and celebration. Special awards will be presented at the awards ceremony.

Edited by dalessit 2009-05-18 4:21 PM
2009-05-18 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Holy crap, do I really need to do this????

**BUMP**

Knock knock, anyone home?  Slow Monday.
2009-05-18 9:21 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Haha, how about this for putting our group involvement into perspective:
2009-05-18 9:35 PM
in reply to: #2159673

User image

Veteran
Pittsford, NY
I always knew we were overachievers
2009-05-19 7:25 AM
in reply to: #2159702

User image

Champion

Yeah 2 mentor groups ago we had the most posts, last time we got crushed by the Girl Passing on Left group, this time we are making a strong comebackLaughing

2009-05-19 7:28 AM
in reply to: #2160048

User image

Champion

So I decided to rent a wetsuit for Mooseman, I just hate my current one, going to sell it soon I think, so if anyone wants an Iroman reaction wetsuit for 90 bucks let me know.  I need it for my lessons coming up but none of my other events will be wetsuit legal so won't need it after mooseman.  It just pulls on my shoulders too much, Probably the way I am built, might work better for someone a bit thinner than me.

Wetsuitrental.com rents desoto's so I am getting it for a 2-3 weeks giving me 1-2 weeks before mooseman to get used to it.

2009-05-19 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2160052

User image

Veteran
Pittsford, NY
I am actually looking for a wetsuit.  What size is the one you have?
2009-05-19 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2160114

User image

Champion
Medium

Here is the correct sizing chart.

http://www.aquashop.com.au/chart/ironman.html

I fit in the range listed for that size but just can't get my arms to feel right in it, could also just be me.

2009-05-19 8:29 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Hey nice weekend of racing you guys....This morning will be reading race reports some awesome HAYOO!!
Steve, how do you go to work in the morning? Man, I would have a coffee on the deck with that view, and never leave!

Had a great weekend out of the city. Saturday did a 22k (14mile) bike, follwed by a 5mile run.. Then Sunday, 70k(45 mile) bike ride. Awesome ride, lots of nice hills out in the middle of no where. Weather was around 80 F....And then woke up Monday morning to a few inches of wet snow!! Only in Canada kids, only in Canada!!
2009-05-19 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2160052

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2009-05-19 8:28 AM

So I decided to rent a wetsuit for Mooseman, I just hate my current one, going to sell it soon I think, so if anyone wants an Iroman reaction wetsuit for 90 bucks let me know.  I need it for my lessons coming up but none of my other events will be wetsuit legal so won't need it after mooseman.  It just pulls on my shoulders too much, Probably the way I am built, might work better for someone a bit thinner than me.

Wetsuitrental.com rents desoto's so I am getting it for a 2-3 weeks giving me 1-2 weeks before mooseman to get used to it.

Fit 2 Race  (f2r.com)    has a great wetsuit rental program.  29 day rental for $45 dollars.  The wetsuit I am wearing in my avatar is from there.  My husband and I rented from there last year for Savage Man and the suit he got was a brand new one.  Very good customer service as well concerning the sizing of suits.   They are a good alternative to wetsuitrental.com for extended periods of time.    http://www.f2r.com/index.php?action1=CustomerProductListing&c_ProgramID=MjY=&c_Gender=Qg==

2009-05-19 8:40 AM
in reply to: #2160137

User image

Veteran
Pittsford, NY

It will fit!  How old is it and what type of condition is it in?  I know you’ll be using it for a few training swims, so when do you think it would be available?  I only ask because my first race is the same weekend as Mooseman, June 7th and I’d like to be able to get a few swims in prior to that.   

2009-05-19 8:59 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

It would appear that Mooseman sets the standard for pre- and post-race activities.  I think it is great that they have so much for kids.  My daughter gets bored while I am out on the course.  I will say there is nothing like having your little girl holding up a sign that says "Go Daddy Go!" and cheering for you.  That is worth the price of admission right there!

2009-05-19 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2160253

User image

Champion
It's a few years old, I bought it used from ST,  Still in good condition, I should be getting my rental suit before May 30th since I wanted some time in it also, if I don't have any issues with the rental suit I could send mine up to you to use for the race, if it fits and you like it, great , if not no biggie just ship it back, if you just want to borrow it for the race and send it back to me that's ok also.

I'll let you know ASAP, I am renting my suit today from wetsuitrental.com.

Tracy, I looked at the place you said also, I was really looking to rent specifically a Desoto 2 piece wetsuit so thats why I went with WR.com
2009-05-19 9:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK

I want to give a huge congrats to everyone who raced this weekend, way to go!!!!!

I finished my first oly distance race on Sunday and it was quite an experience.  I managed to get through the swim...just barely.  About 100 yards into the swim I had an all out panic attack & got fished out of the water by one of the boats. I sat there for a couple of minutes until I could catch my breath and went back in and finished my swim. I'm not sure what happened, I think I might have taken in a little bit of water & then freaked when I didn't have anything to grab a hold of.  I really had to talk myself back into the water.  Definately need to spend more time doing OWS!!!!!!!!!

The bike was tough for me. I was totally spent from suffering through my swim that I ended up having a really hard time with the hills on the bike. I'm very disappointed in my bike time.

Not my best run ever, but considering how tired I was I'll take it.  I did a few transition runs during my training but I need to do more.  During my run though, volunteers kept asking me if I was okay.  Which made me think to myself.....good god, do I look that bad????  After the race my husband told me that he overheard the official he was standing next to get on the radio and say watch out for #44 (which was me) because she looks like her calves are getting ready to lock up.  I had to laugh at that......and here I thought the run was the easiest part of the whole race.  Tongue out 

Overall I had a really great time.  The weather was perfect, the volunteers were fantastic and the other racers were really supportive.  This was a great learning experience for me.  Now I know what I need to work on.

2009-05-19 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2160438

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

HollyW - 2009-05-19 9:34 AM

I want to give a huge congrats to everyone who raced this weekend, way to go!!!!!

I finished my first oly distance race on Sunday and it was quite an experience.  I managed to get through the swim...just barely.  About 100 yards into the swim I had an all out panic attack & got fished out of the water by one of the boats. I sat there for a couple of minutes until I could catch my breath and went back in and finished my swim. I'm not sure what happened, I think I might have taken in a little bit of water & then freaked when I didn't have anything to grab a hold of.  I really had to talk myself back into the water.  Definately need to spend more time doing OWS!!!!!!!!!

The bike was tough for me. I was totally spent from suffering through my swim that I ended up having a really hard time with the hills on the bike. I'm very disappointed in my bike time.

Not my best run ever, but considering how tired I was I'll take it.  I did a few transition runs during my training but I need to do more.  During my run though, volunteers kept asking me if I was okay.  Which made me think to myself.....good god, do I look that bad????  After the race my husband told me that he overheard the official he was standing next to get on the radio and say watch out for #44 (which was me) because she looks like her calves are getting ready to lock up.  I had to laugh at that......and here I thought the run was the easiest part of the whole race.  Tongue out 

Overall I had a really great time.  The weather was perfect, the volunteers were fantastic and the other racers were really supportive.  This was a great learning experience for me.  Now I know what I need to work on.

Same to you.   Sounds like you had a good race!  Just to put it in perspective for you, some of can't swim a mile yet, so even if you had to lean on the kayak for a minute, I am still impressed!

-Andy

2009-05-19 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Happy Tuesday everyoneSmile.  It's my slow day here at work so I'm trying to get caught up with all the posts.  Sounds like everyone had a great weekend and some good races.  Congrats to all!

Steve - gorgeous view from your back yard!  I'm with the others, I don't know that I would ever want to leave that (even to go to work).  Nice job on the deck too.

Tracy - I think you were the one who asked about my son.  He decided that he's going to go to SIU-Carbondale next year and study architecture.  Even though he gets pretty good grades for the most part, he's not much of a "school" person, but this has got him excited.  It's something he's really looking forward to getting into, and according to his teachers in high school he's pretty good at it too.  I just hope he doesn't get too discouraged during the first year when he's taking more english, math, and history (the classes he really doesn't enjoy) than actual architecture classes. 

OK, I'm off to read some race reports from the weekend.  Have a good day!
Janet

2009-05-19 10:14 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Holly, way to be strong and stick it out!  I can totally understand how that would happen and think the fact you kept pushing on will make the next one so much easier.  YOU ARE A ROCK!

Suzy
2009-05-19 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Holly, what an inspiration!  I don't think I would be brave enough to re-enter the water, let along finish the race.  Fantastic job!  Talk about an experience you will never forget.  And you sound so excited about the race. That is wonderful. Way to go girl.
2009-05-19 10:15 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
HollyW - 2009-05-19 7:34 AM

I sat there for a couple of minutes until I could catch my breath and went back in and finished my swim. I'm not sure what happened, I think I might have taken in a little bit of water & then freaked when I didn't have anything to grab a hold of.  I really had to talk myself back into the water. 

This is truely a triathlete's spirit!! Way to go!  So many people in this world would say enough is enough and it wasn't meant to be.  You were courageous enough, strong enough, and tough enough to get back in the water and finish what you started!  Kudo's to you and I think that you did a fantastic job!  You stuck through it from start to finish, and finish what you started!  That is AWESOME!  You also took what you learned from that experience and are going to grow on it!!!  Holly my hat is off to you!!! CONGRATS # 44!!!!!

2009-05-19 10:18 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

CONGRATS HOLLY!   AWESOME JOB GETTING BACK IN THE WATER!!!  Reading about how people like you find themselves up against a wall, look inside to find something and move forward really fires me up!  You shouldn't be disappointed with anything! 

Sounds like I need to be an official so I can check out all the legs...among other things. Wink

2009-05-19 10:31 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Please don't quote spam. It just give the spammer more incentive to continue.

In the future just notify a moderator and it will be taken care of.
2009-05-19 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2160615

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
marmadaddy - 2009-05-19 8:31 AM Please don't quote spam. It just give the spammer more incentive to continue.

In the future just notify a moderator and it will be taken care of.

Thanks a ton for your help!!!
2009-05-19 11:05 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Holly- Nice work. Like others have said, it took alot of guts to get back into that water and do it.  Regardless of time, you did it and that is by far the most important thing. Finishing!

I leave the office for a couple of hours and I miss the Spam? what spam I missed it. Was it some guy selling male enhancements??
2009-05-19 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2160709

User image

Master
Small Town
TrevorC - 2009-05-19 12:05 PM
I leave the office for a couple of hours and I miss the Spam? what spam I missed it. Was it some guy selling male enhancements??

Taxi rides.  Tru, tru.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383