BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-05-10 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed

Hello. Been out of the loop for a few days, so had alot of catching up to do. Went for a run on Saturday with our dog. She's a wheaton terrier. She finished all 21k of the run. She was getting hot on the way back, and since I was running by the river, I slowed down and let her run in to get a drink. She took one step too far into the river, and PLOP, under water she went. Wasn't much of a current in the area so she was able to swim back and get up on the rocks. Totally suprised her. For about 3 seconds I was worried I was going to have to jump in and save her! That would have been a sight to see.

2011-05-10 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3490346

User image

Elite
Raleigh
fattyfatfat - 2011-05-09 8:06 PM
GrapeJuice - 2011-05-09 3:08 PM
DougRob - 2011-05-09 6:23 AM

Came across this video of last years Augusta. I am not racing it this year, but this makes me want to. BTW: I found myself for a split second at 4:02 coming out of the water. I am in the X Terra sleeveless suit and yellow cap. I am wiping my nose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS2K0DAVgVM

I know you and John did this race, how did you like it? I am planning for this to be my "A" race for next season and my 1st Half Iron as I have family in Augusta and in Columbia, SC

overall i thought it was a great race.  having family in the area would make it that much more special.   you won't find a faster swim as its down river the whole way.  bike has some flat and some rollers, but if i could handle them anyone can.  the run is flat and very well supported with aid stations and crowd support. 

the only downside was the mile walk back to transition from the finish line to get your bike and gear.  of course you could drive down if a car was handy but parking looked brutal and the course was still open so traffic might be an issue. 

i'd recommend augusta 70.3 for sure.  i'm still trying to figure out a late season him, i may head back to augusta. 

rev3 has a new race in anderson, sc this year a weekend before or after augusta.  it'll be interesting to see how it goes. 

I too thought Augusta was great. If swimming is your weakness this race is great. I came in at 29.33, by far my best time and the current was not as strongas the year before when they let some excess water loose up stream. The bike route varies enough to keep it interesting. The run is a little repetative, but you can't beat the crowd support. Augusta really is glad to have the racers there.

2011-05-10 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3491218

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
fattyfatfat - 2011-05-10 8:12 AM
fowlmood - 2011-05-10 10:07 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-05-10 5:51 AM
fowlmood - 2011-05-09 11:04 PM

After reading on some fluid loss and salty sweaters It really reminded me of last year where I was really light headed and just could not grasp a general conversation so when I read about some of the symptoms it got me thinking.

So I have started to figure out the rate of fluid lost I have 3 runs and 1 ride in.

Temp is anywhere from 66 to 77 with 12-19% hum. duration of run/bike around 42 to 55mins

I weighed myself before and after each and losing around 3poundsthat is without fluid intake.

I am also a salty sweater so I was wondering if metasalts would help especially long runs and rides

Just not sure where to go from here.

So I have come to where all of the GREAT WISDOM is.

congrats on the o/a win this past sunday.  very impressive! 

how are you measuring this weight loss?  how much do you weigh?  3 pounds in 45 minutes at 66 degrees seems like a lot.  not saying it isn't possible but for comparisons sake, last test i did i lost 3 pounds in 33 minutes.  but i weighed 235 at the time and it was ~97 degrees out with 60% humidity. 

edit.  n/m.  i see on the 7 april test date you checked in at 170.  so a 2% loss in 45 minutes.  

Thank You.

I am 5'11" weigh around 173

Absolutely!  Any pics from the podium?

Can you clarify this... Are you naked and dry during both weigh in's? 

Birthday suit and dry
2011-05-10 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

in regards to the weight loss thing, for me it depends on the weather as such but also heavily depends on how in shape and the stress i'm putting my body under.  IE how high my avg heart rate is during that time period.  I noticed for me that if I run/workout for 1.5hrs during the peak of the season i can get by on 20oz (sometimes less) of nuun and lose around 1.5-2lbs however during the beginning of the season doing roughly the same workout, i need 30+oz  of liquid/nuun and lose around 2.5+lbs.  My guess is my body is using fluids and calories more efficiently during the peak season vs off season. 

however during peak season when I don't exercise i'm burning much more calories vs off season when i don't exercise.

2011-05-10 4:10 PM
in reply to: #3491340

User image

Elite
san francisco

Terps421 - 2011-05-10 8:02 AM George, you are not in "Fatty -taper" mode, stop teasing your MG, go get on your bike, HIM is around the corner for you!

Oh, I love it when Terps gets feisty!!!!  Must be that podium thang. 

I made the mistake of walking/hiking Ripley to the pet store to buy a new leash yesterday afternoon.  It's about 3 miles away but over big hills but she needed a walk.  Once there, I remembered to get the cat food and other miscellaneous groceries and by the time I got home, 20 lbs heavier, my right shoulder was aching, but I figured it was just a little sore from carrying the big backpack.

Today at swimming, my right shoulder was not happy when doing freestyle.  It still kind of aches near the serratus muscle.  A little concerned as I see a longish swim on Friday.  I may do ice and advil...kind of hoping it's just like being a little sore from gardening...yikes.  Cry

2011-05-10 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Family pic

Thanks for all of the well-wishes!  Hubby and I are setting out for Hawaii tomorrow - his job trip, and I'm the lucky +1!  Will be lurking for the REV3 people, and counting down for IMTX!!!

WHY WON'T THE PIC LOAD?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Edited by velcromom 2011-05-10 4:38 PM

2011-05-10 6:08 PM
in reply to: #3491296

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
fattyfatfat - 2011-05-10 12:46 PM

everlong - 2011-05-10 10:16 AM Great topic on the weight loss. During the winter on my 10+ mile runs I will only lose a pound or two and I generally don't bring water with me. I do hydrate heavily before hand. During the summer I cart the water with me and will drink 20-30 ounces and I'll loose 5-7 pounds depending on the humidity. There's a big difference between a zone 2 and tempo run in the summer as well. The higher intensity is magnified and water loss is much greater.

exactly!  in december i can go for and hour and half run stopping by a water fountain two or three times tops.  minimal loss.   liquid intake yesterday (88 but low humidity) was ~84 oz of water and 16 oz of perform.

i agree about the intensity.  i also think activity duration impacts hydration as well.  for example most of my current work load is zone 2 but there's a lot of it.  staying hydrated before during and after a workout is a big challenge 

Wow, that's a lot of liquid - 4oz more than a 6-pack.   Are you just drinking according to thirst or are you trying to take in that much because you know your sweat rate?

With high humidity and temps almost guaranteed in the Woodlands, you may end up drinking a case.

2011-05-10 6:20 PM
in reply to: #3492239

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
kt65 - 2011-05-10 7:10 PM

Terps421 - 2011-05-10 8:02 AM George, you are not in "Fatty -taper" mode, stop teasing your MG, go get on your bike, HIM is around the corner for you!

I made the mistake of walking/hiking Ripley to the pet store to buy a new leash yesterday afternoon.  It's about 3 miles away but over big hills but she needed a walk.  Once there, I remembered to get the cat food and other miscellaneous groceries and by the time I got home, 20 lbs heavier, my right shoulder was aching, but I figured it was just a little sore from carrying the big backpack.

Today at swimming, my right shoulder was not happy when doing freestyle.  It still kind of aches near the serratus muscle.  A little concerned as I see a longish swim on Friday.  I may do ice and advil...kind of hoping it's just like being a little sore from gardening...yikes.  Cry

Gardening can do that, but the 20 lb backpack probably played a bigger role.  I spent about 2 hours turning soil yesterday and I am also a little sore.  I hope your shoulder feels better when you wake up tomorrow.

2011-05-10 6:23 PM
in reply to: #3492385

User image

Champion
marietta
dcon - 2011-05-10 7:08 PM

everlong - 2011-05-10 10:16 AM Great topic on the weight loss. During the winter on my 10+ mile runs I will only lose a pound or two and I generally don't bring water with me. I do hydrate heavily before hand. During the summer I cart the water with me and will drink 20-30 ounces and I'll loose 5-7 pounds depending on the humidity. There's a big difference between a zone 2 and tempo run in the summer as well. The higher intensity is magnified and water loss is much greater.

exactly!  in december i can go for and hour and half run stopping by a water fountain two or three times tops.  minimal loss.   liquid intake yesterday (88 but low humidity) was ~84 oz of water and 16 oz of perform.

i agree about the intensity.  i also think activity duration impacts hydration as well.  for example most of my current work load is zone 2 but there's a lot of it.  staying hydrated before during and after a workout is a big challenge 

Wow, that's a lot of liquid - 4oz more than a 6-pack.   Are you just drinking according to thirst or are you trying to take in that much because you know your sweat rate?

With high humidity and temps almost guaranteed in the Woodlands, you may end up drinking a case.

haha!  thats what i'm talkin' about! 

it starts as both but thirst drops off at which point it becomes critical to closely monitor h2o intake.  and in my training i've noticed that thirst does not dissipate or go away at the same rate as conditions change.  for example, thirst helps manage intake longer at 60 degrees than 75 degrees.  another reason why you hear so many of us preach and preach about why its so important to test and pay attention to nutrition long before race day.

2011-05-10 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3492413

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2011-05-10 4:23 PM

it starts as both but thirst drops off at which point it becomes critical to closely monitor h2o intake.  and in my training i've noticed that thirst does not dissipate or go away at the same rate as conditions change.  for example, thirst helps manage intake longer at 60 degrees than 75 degrees.  another reason why you hear so many of us preach and preach about why its so important to test and pay attention to nutrition long before race day.

I've never done a sweat test. Maybe it's time I do. Of course our temps would have to creep up a little to allow that to happen, don't you think?! Ha!! (Wait!! Today is our 5th day this year over 60 -- well, I think we hit 60, but not sure.) Hard to know how strong to mix bottles when I head out on long rides. On warmer days I want to drink more, cooler days less, but I know I need the calories (usually liquid). I do just fine in training in general. We know I didn't do fine in heat on race day, but I have my plan down to address that this go-around (fewer calories, possibly different/modified sugar source).

2011-05-10 7:18 PM
in reply to: #3492413

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
fattyfatfat - 2011-05-10 9:23 PM

I hear you on the importance of testing nutrition long before race day.    I have read some articles on fluid intake that you may find interesting (if you haven't read them already).  Tucker/Dugas make a good case for going by thirst.  

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/10/part-i-history-of-fluid-intake-and.html

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/10/fluid-intake-dehydration-and-exercise_18.html

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/10/fluid-intake-dehydration-and-exercise_21.html

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/10/fluid-intake-dehydration-and-exercise_26.html

http://www.sportsscientists.com/search?q=fluid+ingestion

A lot of reading, but I like their stuff.

2011-05-10 7:18 PM
in reply to: #3492409

User image

Expert
Noosa
dcon - 2011-05-11 9:20 AM
kt65 - 2011-05-10 7:10 PM

Gardening can do that, but the 20 lb backpack probably played a bigger role.  I spent about 2 hours turning soil yesterday and I am also a little sore.  I hope your shoulder feels better when you wake up tomorrow.

This is why I do no work around the house...!

2011-05-10 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3492466

User image

Champion
marietta
dcon - 2011-05-10 8:18 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-05-10 9:23 PM

I hear you on the importance of testing nutrition long before race day.    I have read some articles on fluid intake that you may find interesting (if you haven't read them already).  Tucker/Dugas make a good case for going by thirst.  

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/10/part-i-history-of-fluid-intake-and.html

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/10/fluid-intake-dehydration-and-exercise_18.html

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/10/fluid-intake-dehydration-and-exercise_21.html

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/10/fluid-intake-dehydration-and-exercise_26.html

http://www.sportsscientists.com/search?q=fluid+ingestion

A lot of reading, but I like their stuff.

thanks for posting.  interesting.  a few comments after a brief review:

• kind of tough to try to discredit the marketing aspect of all this when their blog is littered to the left and right of the post with adds such as amazon sales, "medical weight loss", etc...
  • funding from discovery holding might be questioned.  isn't pretty much all of insured America unhappy with health insurance providers.  
  • little pet peeve of mine to say things like "the lit says"  or "after a literature review..."  then continue on with comments yet the source is not provided.
  • did he really base his dissertation on an n=7 study?  perhaps i read that wrong. 
  • looking forward to reading on!!!!!

2011-05-11 5:43 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

YOO-HOO!  I checked my calendar and I've got a hunch there are a few peeps racing this weekend.  Hands up people! Details on your strategy better be forthcoming!

2011-05-11 7:26 AM
in reply to: #3492836

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Strategy?  I don't need no stinkin Strategy...

Actually same plan as last time for me.  Start up front on the swim, don't worry about sighting as much on this course.

Bike, don't blow it up too much on the climbs, at one point there is an 11% grade.

Run, run hard with whats left, it's fairly flat.

2011-05-11 8:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
SSMinnow - 2011-05-11 6:43 AM

YOO-HOO!  I checked my calendar and I've got a hunch there are a few peeps racing this weekend.  Hands up people! Details on your strategy better be forthcoming!

I am!  Although not so much racing as running a race for the fun of it.  I will be doing the Warrior Dash in North Georgia with several members of our local swat team (or at least I'm going to start it with them). 

Strategy:

(1) Finish

(2) Have fun

(3) Don't drown in the lake

(4) Don't fall off any obstacles

(5) Don't break any bones

(6) Get to the beer and turkey legs as fast as possible

Good luck to all the Rev peeps!  I am looking forward to some great RR's and pics.

2011-05-11 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Well...maybe.  Race for the Cure 5K is this weekend.  We are trying to figure out what to do with the kids.  If we do, Kris I will be running.  If not, Kris will be running and I will be cheering.  Strategy - run hard, have fun.

Good luck to the Rev 3er's, the Warrior Dashers, the half marathoners, and anyone else who is racing!!

George

2011-05-11 9:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
SSMinnow - 2011-05-11 4:43 AM

NO Racing for me. Good Luck to all that do have one.

2011-05-11 9:34 AM

User image

Master
SSMinnow - 2011-05-11 3:43 AM

Have AWESOME races this weekend, peeps!!

No racing for me... just a big weekend of training on the CDA course. Itinerary has 20.5 hours of training on there, but I know it won't end up being that much. Big ride day is Saturday, riding the full course. Big run day is Sunday, I'll do what my body (hamstring) is ready for and no more. A couple of good pool workouts with like-minded peeps. A couple of other runs and rides sprinkled throughout... and maybe, just maybe, some 70-degree sunshine!!! I may die of heat stroke, ha!!

2011-05-11 10:03 AM

User image

REV3 with the MG!!

Strategy:

swim - don't worry about drafting, instead find an open lane and focus on a strong, smooth stroke

bike - don't cook the legs! keep a comfortable pace and pay attention to nutrition and hydration

run - easy out of T2, build to moderate, keep some gas in the tank for the last 2 miles

transitions - don't give John time to hit me with any beer cans!

Kyla, have a great time at CDA camp! Good luck to all the other REV3 racers, David, Kris and (maybe) George, and anyone else who is racing this weekend!

2011-05-11 10:44 AM

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2011-05-11 5:43 AM

Looking forward to a little REV action with the gang.....my plan is to swim first, then bike and follow it up with a run. Laughing 

Seriously it's a training race for me after a three week build. It'll give BP the opportunity to get some good data and check my decision making skills.   Goal is steady swim (and I better beat Lonestar's dismal time), Z3 on the bike, Z3/4 on the run..going all by HR this time around.  Same hydration/nutrtion strategy for the bike as last season, but changing up the run.  I'm carry my FB with Carb Pro.   stay tuned.....

2011-05-11 11:54 AM

User image

Champion

MARK YOUR CALENDARS!

"Revolution3 Triathlon is excited to announce a brand new race and brand new race location for 2012! The month of August, 2012, Revolution3 will hold Olympic and Half Distance races at Wisconsin Dells, the waterpark capital of the world! Pro and age group athletes are invited to compete in both distances for cash prizes."

Nice to have another 70.3 option in the state!

2011-05-11 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

Running a Half for U. MD. Cancer Center with a few special names written on a sign on my back : )

2011-05-11 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3493664

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
SSMinnow - 2011-05-11 12:54 PM

MARK YOUR CALENDARS!

"Revolution3 Triathlon is excited to announce a brand new race and brand new race location for 2012! The month of August, 2012, Revolution3 will hold Olympic and Half Distance races at Wisconsin Dells, the waterpark capital of the world! Pro and age group athletes are invited to compete in both distances for cash prizes."

Nice to have another 70.3 option in the state!

Does this mean we can stay at the new Minnow Castle???

2011-05-11 1:15 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

good luck racing fools!!!!   nada here.... just taking some pics and harassing some peeps in person!!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298