BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 65

2011-07-13 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3435035

User image

Subject: RE: JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED
I'm not very flexible at all.  The only area I wish I was more flexible as far as triathlons is my ankle flexibility.  I feel like I'm dragging anchors when I kick.

2011-07-13 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3594838

User image

Bronze member
GoFaster - 2011-07-13 1:42 PM

Question for the group - how flexible are you?  And do you think your flexibility (or lack of it) helps or hinders your training, racing, and recovery?

I rate myself a 3/10 (and I'm being generous).  I've read that many runners are naturally a bit tighter and being too flexible can actually be a bit of a bad thing when you have too much elasticity - but I'm not sure how correct/incorrect this is. 

Just looking for everyone's perspective.

I am very flexible. In fact I've been told by physical therapists, the chiro, and podiatrist that I am too flexible ("You have loose joints"). During my last massage the therapist asked me if I used to be a gymnast due to my ankles being so flexible (umm, no).

Too much elasticity is a problem for me though. Especially with my flat feet and flexible ankles. I can roll an ankle while running on a flat, paved road. I have stepped in a hole and thrown my SI joint out of place. I have to be really careful doing Yoga or it feels like I pop my hip out of joint. I have also had a feeling like that in my shoulders while doing all out sprints in the pool or swinging a golf club. I don't think I have really popped it out of joint like a dislocation but I can feel something move/shift which is accompanied by a whole lot of pain. Not fun and really there is no warning that it is going to happen.

I imagine (but don't really know) that my flexibility helped me adapt to the aero position on my tri bike with very little difficulty. I also wonder if the same flexible ankles that cause me problems running are an asset to me swimming.

So I think it's a little good and a little bad!

2011-07-13 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3594847

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred Doucette 2011-07-13 8:01 PM
2011-07-13 8:02 PM

2011-07-14 11:40 AM

Expert
I am as flexible as a lead pipe....
2011-07-14 12:06 PM

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I used to be more flexible in my shoulders, but after I wrecked my shoulder snowboarding last year I lost most of that flexibility. Otherwise I am not too flexible but I can seem to get by. I also do not stretch too much, only light stretching and that is mostly after runs. I do want to get into Yoga this offseason, and work my core, which hopefully with give my body more flexiblity.

2011-07-14 12:11 PM

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Race wheels came in yesterday and was able to take them out for an easy spin last night. First time on a disc and I felt like I was flying. My legs are a bit sore so I am going to hold back just a tad more the rest of the week. Car is packed and I just have to go into work for a few hours tonight and then me and my g/f are have the next 5 days off for the race and to visit or old home in Milwaukee. Get to meet Quincy as well at dinner on Saturday night, very excited for this weekend!

2011-07-14 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3596498

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
chasingkona - 2011-07-14 12:11 PM

Race wheels came in yesterday and was able to take them out for an easy spin last night. First time on a disc and I felt like I was flying. My legs are a bit sore so I am going to hold back just a tad more the rest of the week. Car is packed and I just have to go into work for a few hours tonight and then me and my g/f are have the next 5 days off for the race and to visit or old home in Milwaukee. Get to meet Quincy as well at dinner on Saturday night, very excited for this weekend!

Got my wheels on Tuesday...kind of wishing I had gone with an 808 depth (went with 404).  With the flat course and not much wind forecast I think I could have handled them.  Exciting to try a disk out!  I'm kind of digging the race wheel rental concept.  It's not that expensive, the sweethearts at the LBS took the time to check my bike out for me, and I get to experience different wheels before I pull the trigger on my own.  Plus I am not tempted to train on the light wheels...keeps me honest.  Pretty good deal all around for someone who is new to the sport!

We're headed up tomorrow around 11 and planning on riding over to the park for check in when we get to Racine.  Swim and tune up run on Saturday morning I think.  Looking forward to dinner on Saturday.

Haven't been posting much except inspires 'cause I'm a bit scatterbrained...can't concentrate.  I've got everything 3/4 of the way done, but can't finish anything.  Taper induced ADHD I guess.  I'll be forced to get it all done one way or another by tomorrow morning, so that's a good thing!

I'm pretty flexible except in my one hamstring that is constantly messed up.  That part of my leg is like, 80 years old compared to the rest of my 42 year old bod.  Wish I could figure out how to fix it.  No amount of off season rest, yoga, or stretching did a thing.  

Whew, what a post...see, I'm crazy!  Ciao for now...

2011-07-14 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3595473

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Fred Doucette - 2011-07-13 9:00 PM
JohnnyKay - 2011-07-13 2:44 PMI do not think being very flexible matters much for triathlons.
I think it matters for bike fit position though.

I used to think this too.  I'm not that sure anymore.  I keep successfully getting a little more 'aggressive' and, if anything, I think my flexibility may have gotten worse overall.  Maybe better 'where it matters'?  Don't know.

2011-07-14 6:55 PM

Bronze member

So after 6 months on my tri bike I still have saddle discomfort. Some pinching if I sit back on the seat and just general discomfort if I sit more forward. It is not horrible but I squirm around more than I think I should on my longer rides. Am I just supposed to deal with it?

OR

I'm actually wondering if I should post a picture on BT for input on my fit. I don't want to change anything myself, just find out if my fit looks off enough to take another long drive to the bike shop. I could also look into trying out a different seat. I tried all the seats the tri shop had so I would have to start ordering off the internet I guess.

Any recommendations for me? What do you all think of the replies people get to posts about fit?

2011-07-14 6:56 PM

Bronze member
It's exciting hearing about everyone getting ready to race! Good luck everyone!

2011-07-14 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3597259

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
trigal38 - 2011-07-14 6:55 PM

So after 6 months on my tri bike I still have saddle discomfort. Some pinching if I sit back on the seat and just general discomfort if I sit more forward. It is not horrible but I squirm around more than I think I should on my longer rides. Am I just supposed to deal with it?

OR

I'm actually wondering if I should post a picture on BT for input on my fit. I don't want to change anything myself, just find out if my fit looks off enough to take another long drive to the bike shop. I could also look into trying out a different seat. I tried all the seats the tri shop had so I would have to start ordering off the internet I guess.

Any recommendations for me? What do you all think of the replies people get to posts about fit?

Oh man, I am not brave enough to post a fit picture...that stuff brings the crazies out of the woodwork.  Buuut, I see where it might help you with cuing information.  Plus everyone loves a good fit thread.  

I have had great success with an Adamo saddle, have you tried that?  The difference for me was HUGE.  But mostly I have what you are lacking, and that is an LBS that is convenient and friendly.  They went thru 4 saddles with me, took the ones back that didn't work, and re-tweaked my fit.  I am so lucky, and I hate that your local store is so unfriendly to you.  Like I said in my inspire to you...if you ever decide to do a race up here, I'll take you to my LBS and introduce you.  Wish I could do more.

Let us know if you do post.  I definitely want to follow along.  Plus, you have a knack for stirring the pot!  Fun!

2011-07-14 8:04 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I am off to Sonoma County, CA, in the morning to race the Vineman 70.3!
2011-07-14 8:33 PM

2011-07-15 6:53 AM
in reply to: #3597314

Bronze member
quincyf - 2011-07-14 7:53 PM
trigal38 - 2011-07-14 6:55 PM

OR

Oh man, I am not brave enough to post a fit picture...that stuff brings the crazies out of the woodwork.  Buuut, I see where it might help you with cuing information.  Plus everyone loves a good fit thread.  

I have had great success with an Adamo saddle, have you tried that?  The difference for me was HUGE.  But mostly I have what you are lacking, and that is an LBS that is convenient and friendly.  They went thru 4 saddles with me, took the ones back that didn't work, and re-tweaked my fit.  I am so lucky, and I hate that your local store is so unfriendly to you.  Like I said in my inspire to you...if you ever decide to do a race up here, I'll take you to my LBS and introduce you.  Wish I could do more.

Let us know if you do post.  I definitely want to follow along.  Plus, you have a knack for stirring the pot!  Fun!

Ha ha, I guess I pick topics that people can relate too! It is a shame that so many people can relate to bad service at bike shops though.

2011-07-15 8:20 PM

Got my @ss kicked on my ride this morning.  I rode really hard yesterday afternoon and was somehow expecting to do 70ish miles solo this morning.  Threw in the towel after about 45 miles as my power was just nose diving.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.  I won't be racing, but I leave for Atlanta tomorrow afternoon for work.  9 hour direct flight...should be fun...just like the 95-100 degree weather with a heat index over 110 they're having in Georgia right now.  I just plan to use the hotel fitness center for some short workouts on the exercise bike and treadmill.  More of a recovery week for me.

2011-07-18 4:55 AM

2011-07-18 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3601033

Elite
Ontario
Fred Doucette - 2011-07-18 5:55 AM

I had a nice race this weekend and Bryan killed his race in California.

I have been crazy busy but hope everyone is enjoying their training/racing.

Cheers.

Nice?  Nice?  Come on, you have to give us some details.  I'm also curious how power vs. HR/RPE worked out for this one since I know you were disappointed that it was not giving the necessary feedback the last race.

Edited by GoFaster 2011-07-18 9:18 AM
2011-07-18 9:30 AM

Elite
Ontario

New question for the group, cause I need some help.

Rode my HIM course this past week, and got my a$$ handed to me.  I've done the course before, but honestly forgot just how difficult the final 30km are.  Up and down, up and down.  By the end (actually, before that), all I was thinking was that I just wanted to get off my bike, and I had no desire to run.  When I did start running, it was awful.  Side stitch, tight glute, blister - 6km felt like death and I walked.  My actual race on this course a couple of years ago was nowhere like this.

So (after my whining above), I need to regroup and consider how I can improve with 8 weeks left before the race.  The legs were ready to pack it in, and I think this is simply because I haven't done enough longer rides.  Given the nature of the course I think I need to overtrain the distance since I can't simulate the hills on the actual course.  Any and all advice please.  (Logs are a week behind since we've been camping).

2011-07-18 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3601430

Not a Coach
Media, PA
GoFaster - 2011-07-18 10:30 AM

New question for the group, cause I need some help.

Rode my HIM course this past week, and got my a$$ handed to me.  I've done the course before, but honestly forgot just how difficult the final 30km are.  Up and down, up and down.  By the end (actually, before that), all I was thinking was that I just wanted to get off my bike, and I had no desire to run.  When I did start running, it was awful.  Side stitch, tight glute, blister - 6km felt like death and I walked.  My actual race on this course a couple of years ago was nowhere like this.

So (after my whining above), I need to regroup and consider how I can improve with 8 weeks left before the race.  The legs were ready to pack it in, and I think this is simply because I haven't done enough longer rides.  Given the nature of the course I think I need to overtrain the distance since I can't simulate the hills on the actual course.  Any and all advice please.  (Logs are a week behind since we've been camping).

Blah.  My posts keep not posting and getting deleted.  Anyway...

8 weeks is plenty of time.  Don't get stressed.  You went too hard (or were under-rested, fatigued, etc).

Do your race prep rides by time.  If you think the race should take you in the neighborhood of 2:20, then ride at a pace you feel you can sustain for 2:20 and get off and run.  If the race may take you 3:00, then ride for 3:00 at a pace you can sustain and run off of (obviously, somewhat slower than your 2:20 pace).  Mileage for training rides is unimportant.  I have used both under- and over-mileage rides to prepare for races since my available training terrain only rarely is similar to my racing terrain.

2011-07-18 7:07 PM
in reply to: #3601407

2011-07-18 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3602754

Bronze member
Fred Doucette - 2011-07-18 7:07 PM
GoFaster - 2011-07-18 10:16 AM
Fred Doucette - 2011-07-18 5:55 AM

I had a nice race this weekend and Bryan killed his race in California.

I have been crazy busy but hope everyone is enjoying their training/racing.

Cheers.

Nice?  Nice?  Come on, you have to give us some details.  I'm also curious how power vs. HR/RPE worked out for this one since I know you were disappointed that it was not giving the necessary feedback the last race.

Neil, RR is up. I won the age group and was 13/1000 at Musselman. Had a good day, but still areas to improve.

Power meter worked well.

Never satisfied. I guess that is what makes you so fast! Congratulations again on a great race.

2011-07-18 9:32 PM

Bronze member
Heading out of town for a mini vacation with the family for a few days! I'll check back in later in the week. Don't give me too many pages to catch up on please .
2011-07-19 7:44 AM

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Finished my first HIM @ Racine in 6:30:55.  I am happy with my time and how the day went down considering pretty tough conditions.  Feel free to check out my RR for some entertainment.....

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=261255

2011-07-19 8:09 AM

Master
Reston, VA
Heading up to Placid tomorrow and hoping to still race.

Just wanted to say thanks to this group - been fun and I have picked up some things I will use.

I will let you know how it goes.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 65