BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-11-08 5:08 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

November 5-6
Anne - Red Dog 100 Gravel Race on Saturday
Randee - Disney Wine and Dine 10k on Saturday
Randee - Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon on Sunday
Melanie - Across the Bay 10K on Sunday
Adam - City of Oaks half marathon on Sunday
Tom - Race to the Library on Sunday
Adrienne - PNTF Championship on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Anne - flu

Those look like some incredible events!!!!!!!!!! Go racers and have a blast!

Anne, healing {{hugs}}

Awww thank you

2016-11-08 5:20 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Thanks for the ideas.....The one with the pics was actually one of the recipes I searched. Not sure about dates here--I've never really looked for them. My guess is imported and therefore expensive, but can check--maybe they grow them somewhere in Vietnam?? Almond butter--nope! If it can be found, at least $20-$25 for a jar. (I am serious--the import duty plus store markup is ridiculous.) Would have to sub peanut butter. The only affordable sweetener besides cane sugar would be honey (maybe--I think they do make it locally. It is sold at normal stores, not just the import shops.) As for dried cranberries--last year I tried to help my boss find some for a Thanksgiving dish and they were asking $40 for an 8-oz. bag. We just stood there staring at it and wondering who would pay that much, and why!

I could not afford to live here (or at least would not save much $, which is one of the main reasons I work overseas) if I didn't eat mainly local food. It's a pretty basic diet of white rice/noodles, veggies, lean meat, fish, tofu and some other veggie protein options, coconuts, tropical fruit. Tasty enough and one certainly won't get fat on it, but not always the best fuel for a skinny athlete with an active job. The lack of whole grains (as in can't get them anywhere for any price) is maddening. Just can't do local food at breakfast--I probably spend at least $25 a week on muesli and yogurt.) I would kill for a Whole Foods, or a Trader Joe's! There is just a weird retail dynamic here--really very few choices between super high-end items and low-cost (often poor quality) ones that are locally made or imported from China. That seems to go for food as well (except the imports from China--those are actually limited as Vietnamese are wary of the safety). There are plenty of fancy gourmet restaurants, and street stalls selling rice flour products in all their permutations, but I can't find a single place to buy real whole-wheat bread (as in not air bread, no sweeteners, all whole grain flour).

Yesterday I did manage to find a local product called "Fitness Bar" that seems about halfway between a rice crispy treat and a granola bar. It was kind of a kerfuffle to buy a box of them--they apparently are usually sold as singles. Will see how that goes down before trying my hand at baking.

It's fascinating to read this --- I realized how much I take access to whole grains for granted. With rice being the staple, are there rice flour adaptations of bread, bars, etc.?
2016-11-08 6:02 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not rice flour bread that I know of. Pretty much the only bread locals eat are French-style "baguettes", which are made with white (wheat) flour, occasionally with some rice flour mixed in (but the latter is more common in Laos, probably because it lowers the cost of making the bread.) Rice flour is mostly used to make noodles (pho) and occasionally thin sheets (like crepes) called banh that are used to wrap meat and veggies, with some kind of dipping sauce. As for bars, there are locally made snacks you can buy made from puffed (white) rice, often with peanuts and dried fruit added. They don't tend to keep well in a tropical climate--most people would buy fresh from a street vendor and eat them within a day or two. Popular with kids. Basically a local version of a rice crispy treat, but with cane sugar syrup instead of marshmallow. Fit Bar is a commercial adaptation of that marketed as a snack for athletes, kids, etc. I think I have had them--can't remember. Went down okay but was a bit too sweet for my taste--too much fruit in it.

Lao people eat a lot more sticky rice (their staple food) and they have more portable munchies based on sticky rice and sticky rice flour. I have had awesome runs and hikes off a few handfuls of sticky rice, especially cooked in coconut milk. Sometimes they add a little sugar and peanuts on top. Yummy! Sometimes you can get that from vendors here, but locals prefer it with salty toppings like dried pork, french fried onions, etc.

BTW Checked the date situation--they (the fruit kind) are reasonably cheap at about $5 a pound. For a 40-something white woman, the other probably kind probably isn't available, at any price!
2016-11-08 9:13 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Thanks all. I'm not going to bring headphones as they start to bother me after anything longer than 2 hours anyhow. As for nutrition, they're giving out Gatorade Endurance and Clif products. It seems that these companies dominate the race circuit so I have experience with them but I prefer Hammer products and that's what I train with. Hopefully it doesn't take me more than 5 hrs. I can't imagine doing the anything for that long without a break/change! That's why I love tri's
2016-11-08 9:37 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by TXTriRook Quick question for the group. For those of you marathon runners, do you bring your own gels / nutrition with you or rely on what's provided? Also, what about headphones / music? I'm running my 1st one next month and am trying to figure out what I'm going to do.

I have never used headphones or brought music to any organized event. Not a fan of it for them either. Have never felt a need for it in any type of race or event. There will be a lot going on around you. This can help keep (and will need) your attention.

What have you been doing for nutrition on longer runs? Most ideal is to use the course as you have to carry it otherwise. Even in a half, that belt can feel heavier later on. If you don't know that the on course will work, or don't have an iron stomach that has shown to take a lot of stuff, then probably better to bring some of your own. 

I don't like to listen to music when I run.  Maybe that makes me odd.  I like to unplug during that time.  It also helps me to be more aware of my surroundings if I'm running outside.

Not to mention that if I was in a race, it would make racing difficult, as it would get in the way (for me).

2016-11-08 1:50 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Atlantia

OK, I’m kind of thinking out loud here but I need to work through some thoughts about my 2017 schedule.  My plan was to do a marathon, a few duathlons and then IMNC in the fall.  Well, IMNC may or may not happen?  I dunno. If IMNC is not a Go, then I was thinking either Rev3 Cedar Point or IMFL. 

My concern with Cedar Point is that it’s awfully small.  My concern with IMFL is that it would make for a long season with little break before running season.  My concern with both is the swim since my IM swims have been in Banks Channel, the Russian River and the Tennessee River (notice a theme?).  Both PCB and Cleveland are 10 hour drives from Raleigh.  This is all pending Kevin’s vacation schedule since one reason for IMNC was that it’s only two hours from Raleigh so less vacation time is needed. 

To make matters more interesting, I have an early entry to Florida.  Before getting that, I was thinking, “Why not make it a USAT year?”  I planning USAT long course du nationals (which happens to be local to e), USAT standard du nationals, why not do USAT ultra nationals in Cedar Point? 

I think you've mentioned that you really like tri training through the summer, right? I agree with your point about IMFL being a really long season. Won't peak training actually be in the fall, rather than the summer? The daylight hours are already starting to feel a bit squeezed these last few weeks. When you have a concern with Cedar Point being small, what is the concern? Do you get lonely on the course, feel there isn't enough support from the volunteers/community, etc?

For Florida, peak training would start in mid-August or so and go through mid-October.  I imagine that would mean a few weeknight trainer rides to get the time in.  Yes, even with B2B, I would feel a bit of stress squeezing in weeknight workouts before sunset and that's a few weeks earlier.  My main concern, though, was allowing time for a post season recovery before moving into run focus. 

Regarding Cedar Point, I've done small HIMs (Gator Half) and that was fine so I'm not sure what the concern is.  Maybe just that it won't feel much like a celebration?  Not that I hang around the finish line and par-tay.  Maybe it's more if an issue in my head than in reality, huh?  Thanks for helping me think this through.

Really, WTC just needs to schedule IMNC for October 21 ;-)

Janyne, my only input is that I enjoyed everything about Rev3 Venice when I volunteered a few years ago. I worked some prework with the bike vol coordinator and she did a lot of work to make sure things were good. Point being that they seemed to care about the participants, if that sort of thing matters to you. Hands may have better input, since she raced it, but I think they strike a good balance between size and function. And I think that Cedar Point is kind of their flagship event, along with Quassy, which should mean a larger participant base.

IMFL is in Pensacola, right? I've heard a few years of sketchy water conditions during the swimming portion. Heck, Rev3 had to cancel the swim one year by us in November, due to safety concerns. While it should be out of hurricane season, it seems like the weather this time of year can be finicky in the Gulf of Mexico.

Thanks Chris!

I spoke with someone who has done both and she loved both Cedar Point and IMFL.  Her recommendation was to do both.  ;-)

Well, it looks like WTC bought B2B, and killed it

2016-11-08 1:53 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by TXTriRook Quick question for the group. For those of you marathon runners, do you bring your own gels / nutrition with you or rely on what's provided? Also, what about headphones / music? I'm running my 1st one next month and am trying to figure out what I'm going to do.

For the gels, I generally bring my own gels/nutrition so that I can control the timing but I use on course fluids because I hate carrying that in a race.  I do not run with music.  I find that I am a lot more "present" when I go without headphones.  The exception being treadmill runs where I have to run with music ;-)

2016-11-08 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I just plunked down the money for a coach to get me from my 50 to my 100 . I guess I'm committed now

Woo hoo!  Is it safe to assume that you also plunked down money for the race entry

2016-11-08 1:57 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Asalzwed
Originally posted by TXTriRookQuick question for the group. For those of you marathon runners, do you bring your own gels / nutrition with you or rely on what's provided? Also, what about headphones / music? I'm running my 1st one next month and am trying to figure out what I'm going to do.
I use what's on the course if at all. However if you go that route do be sure to find out what it is and practice with it to be sure it's agreeable.Music is a no for me but generally personal preference. DO be sure headphones are permitted and if you decide to wear them make sure to stay aware of other runners.

Good point, I bring my own but I use the same brand as on course because some brands to mix and match very well. I don't want gels that do not play with with others duking it out in my GI tract!

2016-11-08 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I just plunked down the money for a coach to get me from my 50 to my 100 . I guess I'm committed now

Woo hoo!  Is it safe to assume that you also plunked down money for the race entry

Not yet, I have to use Moab to qualify

2016-11-08 1:58 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Asalzwed I had a great race on Sunday. Hoping to get a few minutes to write a report. One strange thing that has been happening after a shorter distance, race effort: massive sneeze attack then cold like symptoms for a few days (in endless runny nose, sneezing etc)Any idea what's up? This has happened at 3 or 4 races now.

Has all of this happened recently?  I am asking because I am wondering about mold spores.  One year, I had terrible problems catching my breath every time I exercised outside.  Once the leaves were gone, so was the problem.  It never happened before or since.  I am kind of thinking that we may have had bad mold spores that year?  Dunno.

2016-11-08 2:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Could it be anxiety related? I remember one student who always began sneezing violently every time we started math class, with no obvious physical cause. We didn't even do math at the same time every day! But more likely, something in the air that you are breathing in at a high rate of speed (because of high effort). I had something similar happen in Singapore last year--actually the violent sneezing happened when I was downtown the day before, then during the race I managed to have a low-grade asthma attack on the last half of the bike and first part of the run of a sprint tri. Sneezing and congestion for a couple days after. But my colds ALWAYS involve sore throats, and I didn't get one--quite sure I wasn't sick. I think just something I inhaled! Or maybe (like I suggested to my coach) I am just allergic to speed, or perhaps to my bike (had no issues at the aquathlon)? Just realised that what I wrote about dates in previous post is kind of funny if one considers the other meaning. At least I didn't mention that I have no food processor, so I would have to chop them myself! Still contemplating the granola bar problem. I tested one of the other alternatives (oatcakes) this morning and it was a quite miserable failure--there is still enough wheat flour in them that my gut is not happy. What's weird is that I don't eat a gluten-free diet, or consider myself intolerant to it (love pasta) but since childhood I have not been able to stomach it before running or swimming--cramps and sits like a ton of bricks. Biking doesn't seem to be as much of an issue as long as it's not a crazy amount of food. One more try with "Fit Bar" and then I am going to have to make like a third world Martha Stewart and bake, I guess.

Do you have a blender?

Can you confirm that you can get rolled oats, peanut butter, honey?

We'll find you a recipe.  Heck, it may even work!

ETA, if you have a blender, this could be a contender: Quick 'n Easy No-Bake Protein Bars

If you raisins and applesauce are available and not too spendy, this one might work as well: Gluten Free Dairy Free Baked Oatmeal Bars

Edited by jmkizer 2016-11-08 2:11 PM
2016-11-08 2:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Not yet, I have to use Moab to qualify

Piece of cake, right?

2016-11-08 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

OK, I’m kind of thinking out loud here but I need to work through some thoughts about my 2017 schedule.  My plan was to do a marathon, a few duathlons and then IMNC in the fall.  Well, IMNC may or may not happen?  I dunno. If IMNC is not a Go, then I was thinking either Rev3 Cedar Point or IMFL. 

My concern with Cedar Point is that it’s awfully small.  My concern with IMFL is that it would make for a long season with little break before running season.  My concern with both is the swim since my IM swims have been in Banks Channel, the Russian River and the Tennessee River (notice a theme?).  Both PCB and Cleveland are 10 hour drives from Raleigh.  This is all pending Kevin’s vacation schedule since one reason for IMNC was that it’s only two hours from Raleigh so less vacation time is needed. 

To make matters more interesting, I have an early entry to Florida.  Before getting that, I was thinking, “Why not make it a USAT year?”  I planning USAT long course du nationals (which happens to be local to e), USAT standard du nationals, why not do USAT ultra nationals in Cedar Point? 

I think you've mentioned that you really like tri training through the summer, right? I agree with your point about IMFL being a really long season. Won't peak training actually be in the fall, rather than the summer? The daylight hours are already starting to feel a bit squeezed these last few weeks. When you have a concern with Cedar Point being small, what is the concern? Do you get lonely on the course, feel there isn't enough support from the volunteers/community, etc?

For Florida, peak training would start in mid-August or so and go through mid-October.  I imagine that would mean a few weeknight trainer rides to get the time in.  Yes, even with B2B, I would feel a bit of stress squeezing in weeknight workouts before sunset and that's a few weeks earlier.  My main concern, though, was allowing time for a post season recovery before moving into run focus. 

Regarding Cedar Point, I've done small HIMs (Gator Half) and that was fine so I'm not sure what the concern is.  Maybe just that it won't feel much like a celebration?  Not that I hang around the finish line and par-tay.  Maybe it's more if an issue in my head than in reality, huh?  Thanks for helping me think this through.

Janyne, my only input is that I enjoyed everything about Rev3 Venice when I volunteered a few years ago. I worked some prework with the bike vol coordinator and she did a lot of work to make sure things were good. Point being that they seemed to care about the participants, if that sort of thing matters to you. Hands may have better input, since she raced it, but I think they strike a good balance between size and function. And I think that Cedar Point is kind of their flagship event, along with Quassy, which should mean a larger participant base.

IMFL is in Pensacola, right? I've heard a few years of sketchy water conditions during the swimming portion. Heck, Rev3 had to cancel the swim one year by us in November, due to safety concerns. While it should be out of hurricane season, it seems like the weather this time of year can be finicky in the Gulf of Mexico.

Thanks Chris!

I spoke with someone who has done both and she loved both Cedar Point and IMFL.  Her recommendation was to do both.  ;-)

yep, looks like a lot of people are rethinking fall race plans!  There's lots of speculation about whether WTC bought it with the intent to get rid of the competition or whether the city jacked up permit etc prices once the big company came in and or whether the venue was too small for the numbers WTC wants for its races.  I even read someone's post that it was the city the killed it.  Others think it will come back as a spring 2018 race.  Whatever the reason, it's a shame.   

2016-11-08 2:20 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Thanks Chris!

yep, looks like a lot of people are rethinking fall race plans!  There's lots of speculation about whether WTC bought it with the intent to get rid of the competition or whether the city jacked up permit etc prices once the big company came in and or whether the venue was too small for the numbers WTC wants for its races.  I even read someone's post that it was the city the killed it.  Others think it will come back as a spring 2018 race.  Whatever the reason, it's a shame.   

Well, to be fair it's not as though WTC didn't jack up the entry fees.  Before B2B was owned by a nonprofit and WTC is definitely for profit.

I wouldn't hold my breath about getting another date but stranger things have happened.  The drawbridge from Wrightsville Beach is over the intracoastal waterway.  Closing the bridge requires a change to federal code (otherwise it is required to open at least once and hour or something).  There are about five dates listed as exceptions, including B2B Saturdays. 

Oh, and not only was the B2B full killed, Rev3 Cedar Point was canned and Rev3 Maine is now IM Maine 70.3 (still managed by Rev3 and licensed to WTC).

And WTC Holdings bought the run that Melanie did last weekend.

Soon our choices will be WTC or RnR. 

2016-11-08 2:21 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

yep, looks like a lot of people are rethinking fall race plans! 

I heard a rumor that a Manatee, not me, has signed up for a fall IM.

What are you thinking of doing next fall, Hands?

2016-11-08 2:23 PM

Master
Northern IL

Thanks Chris!

Saw that too, and about it possibly being the city making things cost prohibitive. No idea which. Still too bad.

Heard some about Rev3 Maine going to some funky joint venture with WTC now.

2016-11-08 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I haven't signed up for any fall races right now 

2016-11-08 2:34 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks Chris!

Saw that too, and about it possibly being the city making things cost prohibitive. No idea which. Still too bad.

Regarding the permits, does this seem out of line?

$1/participant, $35/street closure, $35/officer/hour, $1000 refundable cleanup deposit

2016-11-08 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Thanks Chris!

Regarding the permits, does this seem out of line?

$1/participant, $35/street closure, $35/officer/hour, $1000 refundable cleanup deposit

Nope! And it looks like they only charge a for profit company $25 more for the application fee than a non-profit, everything else is the same. 

Rumors are fun!!

2016-11-08 3:44 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Asalzwed I had a great race on Sunday. Hoping to get a few minutes to write a report. One strange thing that has been happening after a shorter distance, race effort: massive sneeze attack then cold like symptoms for a few days (in endless runny nose, sneezing etc)Any idea what's up? This has happened at 3 or 4 races now.

Has all of this happened recently?  I am asking because I am wondering about mold spores.  One year, I had terrible problems catching my breath every time I exercised outside.  Once the leaves were gone, so was the problem.  It never happened before or since.  I am kind of thinking that we may have had bad mold spores that year?  Dunno.

Someone else had brought that up, too. And it very well could be but this has happened now over the course of 6 months (meaning at least 2 seasons) and on different courses. 

The only thing they have in common is being non-road, shorter events.

The other oddity is that this past race was run in a location where I practice weekly and I hadn't previously had issues. So strange!

2016-11-08 4:19 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

YESSSSSS

(yess.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
yess.jpg (78KB - 3 downloads)
2016-11-08 4:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Anyone have any tips for buying a used tri bike?  Time to move up from the roadie with bars.

2016-11-08 5:10 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

Master
Northern IL

Alright, something more fun. Fabian Cancellara tribute video. If the link doesn't work, it's FB: Bike Pro Cycling then should be the top/first post on the page. Races & TT. The way he's diving into turns on the TT bike is something. Especially between 4:00-5:00. 

2016-11-08 5:53 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not a full IM but I signed up for IM Chongqing 70.3 next fall. Reason should be obvious. I'm hoping my competition won't be able to figure out where it is, much less want to go there to race. But I am probably wrong. If I can't get the visa, there is a Challenge race in Vietnam around the same time that I'll probably do instead. IF things worked out at Chongqing, then I'd be looking at a full IM (probably 2) in 2018. If not, gonna stick to 70.3 and under until I hit the half-century mark!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.