BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-05-21 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2166709

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
dalessit - 2009-05-21 2:30 PM
DougRob - 2009-05-21 3:16 PM

Suzy:  From the posts I figured you were a runner. I am doind drills right now to reteach myself how to swim. I have stamina but lousy technique. I have brought my 100 yds. time down from 1:55 to 1:37 in three weeks time. I have yet to time myself for a longer swim.

John: Thanks got onto the spreadsheet.

It seems group 1's sheet is configured differently than the others. Different fields. The way the other groups have entered their times looks like the averages are confused. Is there really a place for hours in a 400 yds. swim? Are we supposed to start with just minutes? Same question for the run.

Since I will be gone next week, I am going to try to swim tomorrow morning at the outdoor pool for my 400. I'll use saturday morning for my run, and afternoon for a quick ride. Maybe at lunch time at work. (Roads are flater in the Cary area Wink). I can do runs in Munich, but alas no road riding or swimming.

Sorry I was messing with that spreadsheet this morning, when I get home tonight they will all look the same.  This is kind of a work in progress.  I usually have plenty of time to work on this stuff at work but have actually been really busy lately.

And by 'busy' you must mean hanging out at your kids school berating teachers, and hanging out on ebay right? Tongue out

2009-05-21 5:39 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Elite
san francisco

Welcome to the best group, Doug!  

Suzy, I have one word to say, "yeah, right!!!"  oh, that's 2 words but you know what i am referring to!  I will await your report on the helix.  I have the cheapo reaction model

Tony, let me know how that goes with the new 2 pc desoto.  Tracy, you mentioned the fit2race wetsuits.  My friend's physical therapist and her husband started that company here in SF...I might look into those also.

Did my 5K this morning and posted it for Team 3.  I think it's about as fast as I'm going to have without hurting myself!  

Good luck on your oly this weekend Roni!  I think the 2nd half of your bike should be fine to post.  especially since it's downhill!  that is going to be fun!

2009-05-21 6:41 PM
in reply to: #2166522

User image

Extreme Veteran
TrevorC - 2009-05-21 3:23 PM
tahrens - 2009-05-21 12:26 PM

Doug, welcome.  I too am a North Carolina resident, right down the road in Apex.  I'll see you at the Triangle Tri!  And ready for some more similarities..... my husband is a very strong biker, plays Ice Hockey, and is named Doug.  We've got to get together.  Plus I ride with a group of guys and I think one of them might have you beat on the size.   I want to see photos of your custom paint job.  And by the way, ignore John.  He recently took a spill and the blood flow hasn't returned to his brain yet.  Wink

Team 4, just did my 400yd swim for the race and it was a PR baby!!!!  7:48!!!   How'd ya like them apples?!??!

Tony as a former teacher, your comments don't surprise me at all!!  I use to teach high school biology therefore I have a couple degrees in that subject.  But never the less I would hear these two comments at least once every year from parents, "I mean it's just biology, how hard can it be?" and my absolute favorite, "I could have been a teacher but I chose to get a real job instead."  Honestly, the reason I don't teach anymore is not the pay or the kids but the parents.  And I can say this because both my kids are in school, PARENTS ARE NUTS!!!  Thank you on behalf of all teachers for having some faith in their competency.

- Tracy

Hey Tracy..nice swim. My wife definitely doesn't do it for the money either. She loves kids. She is at a private school, so its a bit different than public schools. But the parents are pretty demanding as they are paying 10k/year for the kid to attend.

Teachers in NYC private (some public too) preschools are GODS..  It's so competitive to get your child in preschool that parents don't want to rock the boat.  because if they do, teachers wont write recommendations for kindergarden or grade school etc..  We're going through the process right now and my son had to go through a slew of interviews at the ripe old age of 18 months!  It's nuts and what's even more nuts is the cheapest preschool remotely close to us is $8k for 2 days a week and 2 hrs a day (and it's only an avg school), the most expensive is 3 times that (still talking about preschool, not college).  Also if your school has a bus service and you want to use it, it's another 8k for the yr.  Parents are often caught try to give "gifts" to the teachers and admissions directors..  It's so crazy that there is actually a movie about this that my wife and i just saw..  it's on one of the on demand movie channels (ie HBO, Showtime..).  It's just crazy..
2009-05-21 7:03 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Question:

So I've found that I have a bit in the reserve on my bike for some parts of my rides.  I've hit some hills and stretches where I'm pedaling at 120 and have nothing on the bike.  I can be 42mph and just not increasing my speed.

So my current cassette is 12-25, but a friend just gave me a dura ace 11-13 cassette.  Do you think that the 1 size down on the smallest cogset will give me that little extra push?

I know I'd risk loosing the extra easy gearing for climbing hills, but I don't have hills that I climb that often.  So on my mostly flat 99% of the time riding, will I notice a difference between the 12 and 11 small cogset?
2009-05-21 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2167022

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I think you're gonna miss the gears larger than 13! what are the ones between 11 and 13 besides a 12, 12.5?

Sseriously, I would go for the smaller cassette based on what you said about how your riding with what you've got.

Doug

JHagerman - 2009-05-21 7:03 PM Question:

So my current cassette is 12-25, but a friend just gave me a dura ace 11-13 cassette.  Do you think that the 1 size down on the smallest cogset will give me that little extra push?

2009-05-21 9:36 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Right, this particular cassette has 11, 12, and 13 up to a 23 or 25 (can't remember - current cassette goes 12 to 25).  So other than the option that if the new cassette doesn't have a 25, I won't miss anything.  I just wonder if the one step down to an 11 will be a noticeable difference.

I'm no wrench, so I don't want to take the time to make the change unless it would really be worth it... except that I'd be going up to a DA cassette.

2009-05-21 9:42 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
What are your front ring sizes? Got anyone who rides an 11 with the same size front rings? If so ask to take their bike for a ride and see if the ratios work for you.
2009-05-21 10:15 PM
in reply to: #2167260

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
DougRob - 2009-05-21 10:42 PM What are your front ring sizes? Got anyone who rides an 11 with the same size front rings? If so ask to take their bike for a ride and see if the ratios work for you.

Are you riding a compact or double?  Sounds like maybe a double.  There is a huge difference descending on my road bike with a compact and my TT bike with a double.  I honestly haven't missed the compact that many times, and love the double when I can pedal pretty damn hard going down hill and still have some gearing left.

Also changing out a cassette is a simple job (just requires 2 tools) if you want to do it, you can pick up a used cassette for decent price on ST, they pop up all the time.

Edited by dalessit 2009-05-21 10:15 PM
2009-05-21 10:44 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Rant on---

I am in Arizona... Hot as hell.... And it's raining...

Rant off!

Rant on--- It's BS

Rant off!

Love to all... Keep ya posted from the road!
2009-05-21 11:15 PM
in reply to: #2166281

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

fattyfatfat - 2009-05-21 1:03 PM
DougRob - 2009-05-21 12:53 PM "It's really a great group, we even let in a couple Canadians..."

Hey I like Canadians! My favorite group sport is ICE HOCKEY! GO Canes!!!!! Funny story, after losing the weight I went out to play a pickup game. I have two sets of pants, regular and fat boy. The fat boys have zippers on the inseams so that you can put your skates on first. Otherwise your stomach gets in the way and you can't tie your own laces.

Anyway, the rwgulars were now too big, and for the first time in my life I had to adjust my shoulder pads in as they were too big too.

Anyway I am still 6' and 200 lbs. so people keep riding behind me on the bike. Where is a bigger person for me to ride behind?

I think I'll form team 5 for the virtual tri. Go team Late to the Party!

6'4" 235 there pint size!  Wait till Reuben chimes in at 6'9"  I think we got a few more more big guys...Trevor, Andy, Tracy

You can't be on a team by yourself because you'll win!

Small Fry!  6' and right under 240 and it ain't all muscle, least not the tire around the middle!  Hills are murder - there's a whole lot a gravity to overcome!  I just love being passed by people on mountain bikes and cruisers going up hills!  At least I am 25 lbs lighter so far this year!

Welcome to the group Doug.  Due to this group, BT is now my part time job!

-Andy

2009-05-21 11:18 PM
in reply to: #2166366

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

tahrens - 2009-05-21 1:26 PM

Doug, welcome.  I too am a North Carolina resident, right down the road in Apex.  I'll see you at the Triangle Tri!  And ready for some more similarities..... my husband is a very strong biker, plays Ice Hockey, and is named Doug.  We've got to get together.  Plus I ride with a group of guys and I think one of them might have you beat on the size.   I want to see photos of your custom paint job.  And by the way, ignore John.  He recently took a spill and the blood flow hasn't returned to his brain yet.  Wink

Team 4, just did my 400yd swim for the race and it was a PR baby!!!!  7:48!!!   How'd ya like them apples?!??!

Tony as a former teacher, your comments don't surprise me at all!!  I use to teach high school biology therefore I have a couple degrees in that subject.  But never the less I would hear these two comments at least once every year from parents, "I mean it's just biology, how hard can it be?" and my absolute favorite, "I could have been a teacher but I chose to get a real job instead."  Honestly, the reason I don't teach anymore is not the pay or the kids but the parents.  And I can say this because both my kids are in school, PARENTS ARE NUTS!!!  Thank you on behalf of all teachers for having some faith in their competency.

- Tracy

GO GIRL!!!  GO TEAM SHI!!!  (I still feel dirty typing it...)

-Andy

2009-05-21 11:20 PM
in reply to: #2166488

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

SSMinnow - 2009-05-21 2:06 PM
DougRob - 2009-05-21 12:18 PM

Welcome to the group.  I think you will love the atmosphere.  I am a second timer and will definitely re-up when my contract expires if Steve will have me.

I'm the resident runner, who is trying like heck to figure out how to swim.

Suzy

All I could think of is that I was the resident couch potato who is trying to learn how to SWBKRUN

-Andy

2009-05-21 11:24 PM
in reply to: #2166609

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

cadmus - 2009-05-21 2:52 PM

TrevorC - 2009-05-21 12:23 PM
tahrens - 2009-05-21 12:26 PM

- Tracy

Hey Tracy..nice swim. My wife definitely doesn't do it for the money either. She loves kids. She is at a private school, so its a bit different than public schools. But the parents are pretty demanding as they are paying 10k/year for the kid to attend.

My wife taught at a private school before I slipped one past the goalie (for you hockey fans).  I think the fact that they are paying tuition makes them more demanding and feel like they should have more access to the teachers.  She also teaches because she loves kids and is really good at it - I have not been as fortunate in finding a job that I love like she has.

My wife teaches at a private school as well.  We have really good public schools, so she seems to get a fair number of students whose parents are in denial about either their child's abilities or behavior.  Obviously its the public schools' fault - RIGHT?

2009-05-22 6:17 AM
in reply to: #2167344

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
swbkrun - 2009-05-21 10:44 PM Rant on---

Rant off!

Rant on--- It's BS

Rant off!

How many Jack and cokes did you have before you wrote this?
2009-05-22 6:40 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Happy Friday everyone.

Heading up to Deep Creek MD, this weekend for a company weekend, supposed to be some very nice riding up there, just trying to figure out which camps to get the kids in so we can get some time on the road.

Anyone doing anything for the long holiday (for most of us) weekend?
2009-05-22 6:53 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Hey everyone~

It has certainly been a long time.  I won't have the time to read the 20+ pages I have missed until Monday, but I hope everyone is doing well.  I have been dealing with some Achilles Tendinitis issues since March and have not put in much run time.  It has been really frustrating.  There have been times recently when I thought about packing in the whole HIM idea and calling it quits only because I kept reading about the recovery time for AT issues.  My thinking has been:  I can easily do the swim and I can work up to the bike, but I will really need to work on the run and without being able to train for that... Well, what's the point?  After about eight sessions with my therapist, gaining better ankle mobility, she decided to let me do a 1 min run, 3 min walk plan.  It went great.  So we bumped it up to 2 min run / 1 min walk.  1st time went great.  Second was a disaster!  I could not even finish the first 2 min.   I could not figure it out.  After a quick shoes analysis, we decided that I might need to try my old shoes a few times to see how I respond to those.  I tried them last night... BINGO!!  An easy 2 mile run without any pain!!!!  In February I bought some Brooks Adrenaline GTS 8 (stability shoes) and she things there is too much support.  I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am!!  I am ready to get back at it.  Unfortunately this will be an 80+ hour work week.  At the end of this week, I will be about two weeks behind my training plan, but I will get there.  It's good to be back both physically and mentally.

Edited by Jeepguy2358 2009-05-22 8:46 AM

2009-05-22 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2167495

User image

Elite
Raleigh
dalessit - 2009-05-22 6:40 AM Happy Friday everyone.

Heading up to Deep Creek MD, this weekend for a company weekend, supposed to be some very nice riding up there, just trying to figure out which camps to get the kids in so we can get some time on the road.

I'm flying to Germany tomorrow afternoon for a week of work. Will only get to run there and ride an exercycle at night.

I swam my 400 yds this AM. 7:40.11. It was cold! My back was stiff going in, and still is, but I'm ok with it. My form was lousy though.
2009-05-22 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2167344

User image

swbkrun - 2009-05-21 11:44 PM Rant on---

Rant off!

Rant on--- It's BS

Rant off!

My husband is from AZ.  I love visiting friends & his family there, but I hate the weather.
Everyone there will tell you "It's a dry heat so it's not so bad".  From my experience, 120 is 120, dry heat or not!
Hang in there.     
2009-05-22 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2167510

User image

Jeepguy2358 - 2009-05-22 7:53 AM Hey everyone~

It has certainly been a long time.  I won't have the time to read the 20+ pages I have missed until Monday, but I hope everyone is doing well.  I have been dealing with some Achilles Tendinitis issues since March and have not put in much run time.  It has been really frustrating.  There have been times recently when I thought about packing in the whole HIM idea and calling it quits only because I kept reading about the recovery time for AT issues.  My thinking has been:  I can do the easily do the swim and I can work up to the bike, but I will really need to work on the run and without being able to train for that... Well, what's the point?  After about eight sessions with my therapist, gaining better ankle mobility, she decided to let me do a 1 min run, 3 min walk plan.  It went great.  So we bumped it up to 2 min run / 1 min walk.  1st time went great.  Second was a disaster!  I could not even finish the first 2 min.   I could not figure it out.  After a quick shoes analysis, we decided that I might need to try my old shoes a few times to see how I respond to those.  I tried them last night... BINGO!!  An easy 2 mile run without any pain!!!!  In February I bought some Brooks Adrenaline GTS 8 (stability shoes) and she things there is too much support.  I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am!!  I am ready to get back at it.  Unfortunately this will be an 80+ hour work week.  At the end of this week, I will be about two weeks behind my training plan, but I will get there.  It's good to be back both physically and mentally.

Chris, glad to see you back!  Sorry about all the problems, but it sounds like you are headed in the right direction.  Don't give up on your HIM dream.  You have time to train for Augusta - it's not too late.  Keep swimming and biking and take the running as you can.  Sounds like your head is in the right palce, which (in my opinion) is a lot of the battle.  Keep it up, but don't push too hard and hurt yourself!   Good luck, welcome back!
2009-05-22 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2167475

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2009-05-22 6:17 AM
swbkrun - 2009-05-21 10:44 PM Rant on---

Rant off!

Rant on--- It's BS

Rant off!

How many Jack and cokes did you have before you wrote this?

If he can still write it than obviously not enough!
2009-05-22 8:52 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
GM all....did my 375m/410yds swim this am...7:10 that was very fast for me. So happy with that for sure.

Nice to see you back Chris. You have lots of time until your HIM> Plus, you've got a great base already so won't take long to ramp up.

Today is my youngest 2 year birthday. So have the token party on the weekend. So buying veggie platters and all that good stuff in on the agenda tonight.  Will get my 5km run in today at lunch, and hopefully get in a good ride on Saturday morning before my parents get up here. We have to work on Monday, but It'll be a slack day, so looking forward to getting a long swim in on Monday.

Edited by TrevorC 2009-05-22 9:00 AM

2009-05-22 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
Good to see you back Chris.  Glad things are moving in the right direction for you!

Doug have a great trip!

No big plans for the weekend.  Hangin' out with the family, a long ride tomorrow maybe, and drinking a beer or 40.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-05-22 9:13 AM
2009-05-22 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2167495

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2009-05-22 7:40 AM Happy Friday everyone.

DEEP CREEK?!?!?!!  That is where the SavageMan race is.  Look up the SavageMan website (you can get the link off my race list) and do either the International or Half bike course depending on whether you want hard or crazy hard. You can try to conquer the Westernport Wall!!!!  Total bragging rights.  I DARE YOU!!!!!     And swim in the lake for me.  It is the cleanest lake I've ever been it.  Jealous much.   I would love to be there now, instead of when it is 45 degrees when stupid me does the race!

Edited by tahrens 2009-05-22 9:37 AM
2009-05-22 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Today is my 11th wedding anniversary and I get to spend most of it in the car driving up to MD. 

Chris, welcome back.  Keep up the good work with that foot.  There is nothing wrong with a run/walk combo on race day, if it save the AT!  You want to be doing this for 15 more years right??
2009-05-22 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2167874

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2009-05-22 9:20 AM Today is my 11th wedding anniversary and I get to spend most of it in the car driving up to MD. 

Chris, welcome back.  Keep up the good work with that foot.  There is nothing wrong with a run/walk combo on race day, if it save the AT!  You want to be doing this for 15 more years right??

Happy Anniversary Tracy!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383